Kodi Community Forum
blu-ray in 1080p with dts-hd and truehd - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Feature Requests (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: blu-ray in 1080p with dts-hd and truehd (/showthread.php?tid=109314)

- wazzey - 2011-11-29

bluray Wrote:congratulation and enjoy it! did you get it to work with xbmc_hd_audio version?

i watched "cars 2" with dts-hd and "shrek forever after" with truehd with my kids last saturday. it worked flawless on both movies. i feel sorry for those that cannot get it to work on their system though!
Well I guess I spoke too soon. After messing with several movies, I am getting audio dropouts as well. Furthermore DTS-HD MA gives me loud screeching feedback through the speakers every once in a while.

Things I have tried:
Switching hdmi cables
Updating firmware on the yamaha rx-v1800 receiver
Reinstalling xbmc and the hd audio drivers
Updating to the 11.11 ati drivers

Next thing I think I'm gonna try is switching video cards.
I've got 2 other video cards that will bitstream
Am using an xfx 6670 in this one, will try the 5750 and then a 6770.

Any other suggestions? I'll report back on how it goes
Are the developers planning on making this better in the next stable build? I'm new to xbmc and don't know the process

Thanks

- bluray - 2011-11-29

whatyousay Wrote:I got to step 3, but again the AMD HDMI is only showing 6-channel output and support for DD and DTS only, unlike in your control panel screens. This is what I get:
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/l7zpldRY0SCpPNz9XdR7bYlm8KlgGpKv3Wwp2GpEYYo?feat=directlink
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/xbnggwSp9EMscAUVyh1EFIlm8KlgGpKv3Wwp2GpEYYo?feat=directlink!
Somehow, Windows 7 is not seeing your LG as DTS-HD and TrueHD capable receiver. Did you select the correct HDMI input on your LG configuration? You might want to try another HDMI cable too, because it might have some kind of Edid issue here.

whatyousay Wrote:I don't understand why? I have the latest 11.11 ATI drivers and the latest 2.66 Realtek audio drivers. Is it a problem with my motherboard? It doesn't have S/PDIF, but does support 7.1 over analog (I thought it would over HDMI as well, but apparently not, so I got my video card yesterday). I have HD audio enabled in the BIOS, and I've tried the whole process with it disabled as well to no avail.
Did you install the latest Realtek HD audio from here- High Definition Audio Codecs?

whatyousay Wrote:I pressed on to step 6, but XBMC doesn't recognize a pass-through output device:
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/DXPvsdk8pRm-PCzOTaWwM_e2ATgzk3NuEa9NXI4CU_8?feat=directlink
It's not going to work unless you get Windows to see your LG as DTS-HD and TrueHD capable receiver.

whatyousay Wrote:In the control panel's devices list, my AVR shows up as LG-BDHT but is a "Generic PnP Monitor." Do I need a dedicated receiver or something? My receiver has a spartan setup menu; no explicit controls over pass-through.
Don't worry about the monitor setting. Just concentrate on HDMI audio output. If you cannot get Windows setup to show up DTS-HD and TrueHD, HD audio option is not going to work in XBMC.

- bluray - 2011-11-29

wazzey Wrote:Well I guess I spoke too soon. After messing with several movies, I am getting audio dropouts as well. Furthermore DTS-HD MA gives me loud screeching feedback through the speakers every once in a while.

Things I have tried:
Switching hdmi cables
Updating firmware on the yamaha rx-v1800 receiver
Reinstalling xbmc and the hd audio drivers
Updating to the 11.11 ati drivers

Next thing I think I'm gonna try is switching video cards.
I've got 2 other video cards that will bitstream
Am using an xfx 6670 in this one, will try the 5750 and then a 6770.

Any other suggestions? I'll report back on how it goes
Are the developers planning on making this better in the next stable build? I'm new to xbmc and don't know the process

Thanks
Try to select "Smooth Playback" in ATI control center panel, and try to set power option to "high performance". You can try to select different options in XBMC video playback options too.

- Parker_Payne - 2011-11-29

whatyousay Wrote:Thanks for the guide, bluray.

My AMD HDMI is only showing 6 channels (I think that's okay though because that's all my receiver/blu-ray player supports) and support for DTS and DD only; no AAC, AC3, DTSHD or truHD. Help, please?

I'm using a Saphire Radeon HD-6570 outputting over HDMI 1.4a to an LG HB906TA 5.1 receiver/blu-ray combo that outputs to my LG 55LW5000 over HDMI 1.4a again.

The receiver supports DTSHD and truHD as well as the lossy surround sound codecs.

Any advice is appreciated, I'm going nuts trying to figure this out.

In fact, I had the same isse in the past. Seems a quite common problem with ATI video cards. Problem lies with the EDID information given by your receiver and read by the ATI card. Some receiver "route" the EDID information from the display to the graphics card. As your display can of course not HD audio, ATI rejects passthrough of HD audio. Can be solved by building a new driver (comprising the receiver hd audio and TV video capabilities, sounds complicated, but is easy and can be done in 3 minutes) and replacing the "PNP monitor"-driver. I currently away from home, but I am sure to have some links where the proceeding is explained more detailed...

- wazzey - 2011-11-29

bluray Wrote:Try to select "Smooth Playback" in ATI control center panel, and try to set power option to "high performance". You can try to select different options in XBMC video playback options too.

Switched to a 5750 and that seemed to have gotten rid of the DTS-Master HD problem. All movies with that sound option play perfect. The DolbyTrue HD is the only one with dropouts now.

I've got it in exclusive mode in xbmc. It was already on smooth playback and I've set it to high performance. I can live with the audio dropouts with this until I can figure out what the problem is. I was more worried about the DTSmaster audio and the feedback hurting the speakers because it was massive.

Running an Athlon XII 425 with 4 gb of ram
5750 ati

Might update the bios but I'd rather not do that.
CPU usage while playing an Dolby movie is under 5% so I doubt that is the issue.
Any other thoughts?
Love the ability to not have to mount any of the .iso's so hopefully I can get it all working in the future

- bluray - 2011-11-29

wazzey Wrote:Switched to a 5750 and that seemed to have gotten rid of the DTS-Master HD problem. All movies with that sound option play perfect. The DolbyTrue HD is the only one with dropouts now.

I've got it in exclusive mode in xbmc. It was already on smooth playback and I've set it to high performance. I can live with the audio dropouts with this until I can figure out what the problem is. I was more worried about the DTSmaster audio and the feedback hurting the speakers because it was massive.

Running an Athlon XII 425 with 4 gb of ram
5750 ati

Might update the bios but I'd rather not do that.
CPU usage while playing an Dolby movie is under 5% so I doubt that is the issue.
Any other thoughts?
Love the ability to not have to mount any of the .iso's so hopefully I can get it all working in the future
You can try different video playback options, because wrong video playback option can cause audio playback problem too.

- whatyousay - 2011-12-01

bluray Wrote:Somehow, Windows 7 is not seeing your LG as DTS-HD and TrueHD capable receiver. Did you select the correct HDMI input on your LG configuration? You might want to try another HDMI cable too, because it might have some kind of Edid issue here.

The receiver is definitely on the right input. There's only 2 HDMI in's on it, then one HDMI out to the TV. I just select HDMI 1 and then that does the audio and video from my HTPC. The TV can be off and I'll still get audio.

I tried out another 1.4a HDMI cable with the same results. 6 channels, DTS and DD only.

Quote:Did you install the latest Realtek HD audio from here- High Definition Audio Codecs?

Absolutely it's the latest one.

I'm more or less resigned to the fact that I'll need to buy a standalone receiver at some point to get this working proper.

There might be a glimmer of hope however. I was watching a movie (MKV with DTS 5.1) and could have sworn I was getting different sound out of the back speakers. I replayed the scene several times while standing beside different speakers and sure enough it was all different (helicopter noises started at the back speakers then moved to the front as a helicopter came from off-camera to on screen).

Now I'm thinking (and hoping) I may be a total noob. When I play videos my receiver was just saying PCM3/2.1, and seeing 2.1 I reckoned I was just getting stereo, with maybe the rear speakers mirroring the front. Is my HTPC sucking at sending the raw, undecoded DST track to my receiver but still actually sending it 5.1 sound? Am I hearing the legit DTS audio track properly?

Parker_Payne Wrote:In fact, I had the same isse in the past. Seems a quite common problem with ATI video cards. Problem lies with the EDID information given by your receiver and read by the ATI card. Some receiver "route" the EDID information from the display to the graphics card. As your display can of course not HD audio, ATI rejects passthrough of HD audio. Can be solved by building a new driver (comprising the receiver hd audio and TV video capabilities, sounds complicated, but is easy and can be done in 3 minutes) and replacing the "PNP monitor"-driver. I currently away from home, but I am sure to have some links where the proceeding is explained more detailed...

Sounds interesting. I still have 2 days to take back my video card, I was thinking I may try out the GT 430. But if you can post links to a guide for rolling my own driver, I'd be game to try that. El Google has let me down.

Thanks for the help everyone!

- ShabbyDog - 2011-12-01

whatyousay Wrote:*snip*
Now I'm thinking (and hoping) I may be a total noob. When I play videos my receiver was just saying PCM3/2.1, and seeing 2.1 I reckoned I was just getting stereo, with maybe the rear speakers mirroring the front. *snip*

What you see is actually your receiver telling you you get a PCM signal with 3 fronts, 2 rears and 1 sub.

ShabbyDog Wrote:What you see is actually your receiver telling you you get a PCM signal with 3 fronts, 2 rears and 1 sub.

Sir, what you have said has just made my day!

- bluray - 2011-12-01

whatyousay Wrote:Sounds interesting. I still have 2 days to take back my video card, I was thinking I may try out the GT 430. But if you can post links to a guide for rolling my own driver, I'd be game to try that. El Google has let me down.

Thanks for the help everyone!
If you can borrow a DTS-HD and TrueHD AVR from a friend, it might be the best thing to try. If it work with your friend AVR, you might want to consider replacing AVR instead of video card. I owns 3 ATI GPU's. I don't have any problem bitstreaming with it. GT430 is the one I want to get rid instead due to macroblocking problem during ff/rw.

If you're looking for an AVR, this is a great one for the price- Onkyo HT-RC260. You'll enjoy this Audyssey system.

bluray Wrote:If you can borrow a DTS-HD and TrueHD AVR from a friend, it might be the best thing to try. If it work with your friend AVR, you might want to consider replacing AVR instead of video card. I owns 3 ATI GPU's. I don't have any problem bitstreaming with it. GT430 is the one I want to get rid instead due to macroblocking problem during ff/rw.

If you're looking for an AVR, this is a great one for the price- Onkyo HT-RC260. You'll enjoy this Audyssey system.

I agree just switching out the AVR would be ideal, unfortunately I can't at the moment. At least not easily. We bought it using my sister-in-laws staff discount at a local chain in conjunction with a special staff sale. The catch was that items can't be returned, and we didn't bother to find out before we bought the system. Getting a legit receiver is on the menu, but it'll have to wait a bit. Thanks for the heads up on a GT 430 problem though!

Thanks for all the quick help!

Pioneer VSX-1020 no good for XBMC hdaudio July build... - Nubianxbmc - 2011-12-02

Bluray,

I have found the solution to my issue with the dts-hd flickering on and off using xbmc_hd_audio version...

It is the Pioneer VSX-1020. I have taken all 3 of my htpcs and hooked them up to my Onkyo 607 and all plays perfectly. Now I am stuck with this VSX-1020 that is uselessly flawed for this application.

Weird that PowerDVD work fine, MPC-HC using external filters works fine. Just XBMC with the hdaudio integrated from the July build just doesnt. Sooo annoying.

bluray Wrote:you can try these:

1. in cotrol panel do this- click sound, select nvidia hdmi output and " set as default device, configure speaker setup to "stereo".
2. in "AppData\Roaming"- rename xbmc folder to xbmc_orig
3. launch xbmc from this folder- xbmc_hd_audio
4. configure xbmc as shown here- pre-eden settings
5. select bd movie with hd audio, and give it a shot!

- pettergulbra - 2011-12-03

Hi

I haven`t read thru the hole thread. But it looks like this works great.
And it looks like it works great with DVD ISO files to?
And is it working with Blu-Ray discs? Not ISO or other file types.
Original discs?

Kindly

Petter

- bluray - 2011-12-03

Nubianxbmc Wrote:It is the Pioneer VSX-1020. I have taken all 3 of my htpcs and hooked them up to my Onkyo 607 and all plays perfectly. Now I am stuck with this VSX-1020 that is uselessly flawed for this application.
It seems that most Onkyo owners has successfully using this Pre-Eden to bitstream both DTS-HD and TrueHD. Both codecs bitstreaming fine on my Onkyo HT-RC270 too. From what I observed, Pioneer seem to bitstream TrueHD fine but suffered DTS-HD audio dropouts and other issues.

I have no clue what cause it. It's up to the developer to sort through it. I hope that the next XBMC bitstreaming version from Eden is a better one! Smile

- bluray - 2011-12-03

pettergulbra Wrote:And it looks like it works great with DVD ISO files to?
With AnyDVD and VirtualCloneDrive by Slysoft installed, it work great.

pettergulbra Wrote:And is it working with Blu-Ray discs? Not ISO or other file types.
Original discs?

Kindly

Petter
It'll playback BD directly on BD-ROM with just a couple clicks (there is no rip or file conversion of any kind need it). Here is the instruction- post #271.