Kodi Community Forum
OS X ViMediaManager - Media Manager for Mac OS X! - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Supplementary Tools for Kodi (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=116)
+--- Thread: OS X ViMediaManager - Media Manager for Mac OS X! (/showthread.php?tid=109976)

- MariusTh86 - 2011-09-23

is there really a slash in the file or folder name?

- antah - 2011-09-24

MariusTh86 Wrote:Then maybe the last time it worked was in an older beta? though I don't remember changing anything to the way it read paths in between betas...
Anyway, keep me posted! and nice weekend to you too!

Hmm.. i solved this problem, but by deleting all files in preferences:

com.vidalvanbergen.vimediamanager.plist.lockfile
com.vidalvanbergen.vimediamanager.plist
com.vidalvanbergen.vimediamanager.xml

So, for the time being it's ok. But, please, let's get back to my question number one: about scraping shows and movies on another languages.

I'd tried you advise and changed database language to one i want and.. nothing happened. I tried searching in different ways, but.. still same result: english only. Maybe you can fix it one day? Thank you!!

- MariusTh86 - 2011-09-24

antah Wrote:I'd tried you advise and changed database language to one i want and.. nothing happened. I tried searching in different ways, but.. still same result: english only. Maybe you can fix it one day? Thank you!!

Maybe I should mention that it gets foreign language results only if they are available on the database, and not all languages are available for every movie or tv show, in which case it will default back to english.

When manually searching for a movie, if the description is in your selected language, then it's available.

When doing the same for a tv show, it seems that it shows up in english when doing a manual search, but if your language is available, it'll still download the correct language.
I'll have a look into this one, but I don't think I can change this behavior.

- antah - 2011-09-24

MariusTh86 Wrote:Maybe I should mention that it gets foreign language results only if they are available on the database, and not all languages are available for every movie or tv show, in which case it will default back to english.

When manually searching for a movie, if the description is in your selected language, then it's available.

When doing the same for a tv show, it seems that it shows up in english when doing a manual search, but if your language is available, it'll still download the correct language.
I'll have a look into this one, but I don't think I can change this behavior.

Thank you. May I, somehow, try to help you? I played with it myself today. My toys were:

- http://www.thetvdb.com
- ViMM
- EMM-r

When search thetvdb.com for, let say, series FRIENDS - you fill get under request "friends" a lot of different series, but there are friends on english, spanish, italian, etc.. Ok, but in my case - i'm looking for a russian name. And, maybe you know, we are using cyrillic symbols instead of latin. So, I change my search request into "друзья" (that is russian for friends) and.. success - here it is.

But, when I do search with EMM-r it somehow offers my Russian even when i do search for a "friends" in english. (do you need a screenshot)

And, the last - when I'm search with ViMM for friends it shows me only one version for it, and if I search cyrillic request - it shows me nothing ;(

Maybe there is a way to check how EMM is working? because it works like magic. Any ideas? Thank you!

- DrPepper - 2011-09-24

@marius , from my side the file is correct. when it saves it , it cracks up somehow

- antah - 2011-09-24

One more idea about fetching my cyrillic name - I found out, that TV show ID at thetvdb.com is always the same (doesn't matter which language you need). Probably, EMM is searching english version and then offering you every language option for you to chose. And, if you have preferred, let say, german - german version will be in the top of that list.

BTW, i'd tried your ViMM to set it for German and searched for Friends - nothing happened again ;((

- smilenkovski - 2011-09-24

Hi Marius.
Have you seen this
http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/en/Support/SDK
or similar tools for extracting info from media file?
This media info app
http://mediainspector.massanti.com/
is using the same library

- MariusTh86 - 2011-09-25

@antah
It might not show it in the search dialog, but once it’s downloaded, it’s definitely german text, at least for friends.
When searching, it just defaults to english text with no option to show descriptions in localized text, but when actually fetching information, it’ll download the localized text if it’s available, and for some reason, it seems not to allow searches in all languages through the TVDB API.
I’ll look into downloading localized information, but that’ll probably mean that it’ll take extra time to download a description for those localizations.

This is what I get back from the API:
http://www.thetvdb.com/api/GetSeries.php?seriesname=Друзья

Feel free to send me a screenshot.

@smilenkovski
My programming isn’t entirely Cocoa native, but i’m looking into using MediaInfo.

Ideas... - demosthien - 2011-09-25

@marius - Some more ideas for your list or to ignore (as you see fit). Wink

Are there any plans for the main information panel (the right panel), maybe expanding the current use (stars, info, title, plot & a couple of images)? It just seems to me that this is a lot of space that is being under-utilised.

Also, the use of the two separate toolbar buttons for "Extra Art" and "Metadata" seem a tad redundant as the "Metadata pop-up window contains the "Extra Art" options anyway.

Then, within the toolbar "Metadata" button pop-up, there is the "Extra Art" tab menu option... Using the drop-down menu introduces an additional UI selection method which is not really necessary as you could just add each of the options to the tab menu or have image set boxes running down the page for each category.

So here's my thoughts on possibly improving/simplifying the UI (at least as far as these functions anyway).

1. Do away with both the "Extra Art" and "Metadata" toolbar buttons by incorporating the "Metadata" pop-up information into the main information panel (the right panel). Get rid of the current limited info display and slap the "Metadata" pop-up info right there instead (keeping it editable of course). Keeping the tab menu at the top.

2. Then, within this new information panel combine all the "Art" options into a single tab menu within which you can put all the art download options as either a set of secondary tab menus or maybe as a series of image set boxes showing thumbnails etc of available art in each category. The user could then select the art they wish to use from each category or none (would be worth having a selectable box within each set for the "none" option) as they desire.

Implementing these UI changes mean the user will have no need to leave the main display at all. All the information they need is available for viewing an/or editing right there on start-up without having to access other menus etc.

Now... Comments anyone? Nod No

- demosthien - 2011-09-25

Oh, and a quick mention... The plot seems to fall off the side of the information panel. Word wrapping?

- MariusTh86 - 2011-09-26

If the plot is starting to fall off the sides, it might be muxing up with the preferences set sizes, and you might want to try to reset the preferences windows sizes, probably by throwing away com.vidalvanbergen.vimediamanager.xml.

For movies the main information panel is currently indeed a bit underused, but I'll probably add file data such as 720p/1080p, audio formats and the like, once I can get them from the file.
On tv shows this panel is just about overused with all the images i stuck on it. ^^;

It might be a bit of overuse, making sure that you can download pictures from that many places. (You can also download pictures by right-clicking an item in the list)
But this is my reasoning:
• The Right click menu might be missed or looked over, but quick and thorough.
• The toolbar button is quick and easy to find if you just want to download images and nothing more.
• Adding images next to textual information is just to be able to edit anything to do with a movie in 1 window, so a form of completeness.

The general information panel is technically just one big picture showing, in a hopefully pretty way, a small selection of available information before editing.
I can put all the editable metadata onto the main window, but I kinda like the iTunesque way of editing Metadata.
And I'll miss out on using the pretty star images! Wink

If I drop it all onto the main window, I feel that it'll get cluttered.
Because:
• You'll technically have three changing panels, one to switch between Movies/TV Shows/Anime, another one to switch between movie/tv show/anime item, and then another one right next to it, switching between metadata sections, before you know it, all you do is switch panels,
• And it's hard to know when you're actually editing/saving data or just viewing it, I think it's important to make the difference between definitely different, and make the two very clear.
• In your view, you might get to see metadata text or a single picture, in the current view you get to see a grand overview of some of the more important information.

- demosthien - 2011-09-26

MariusTh86 Wrote:If I drop it all onto the main window, I feel that it'll get cluttered.
Because:
• You'll technically have three changing panels, one to switch between Movies/TV Shows/Anime, another one to switch between movie/tv show/anime item, and then another one right next to it, switching between metadata sections, before you know it, all you do is switch panels,
• And it's hard to know when you're actually editing/saving data or just viewing it, I think it's important to make the difference between definitely different, and make the two very clear.
• In your view, you might get to see metadata text or a single picture, in the current view you get to see a grand overview of some of the more important information.

I might not have been entirely clear but the current information only view should still be the default view (maybe as the summary tab in your metadata pop-up) so all the picturey wonderfullness and general information al stuff would still be present *and* it would clearly separate the editing from the viewing which would only be accessed when selecting the menu tabs.

But if it's all how you like it, fair enough then.

- MaxCore - 2011-09-26

Wow you make my Day!!!

- MariusTh86 - 2011-09-26

demosthien Wrote:I might not have been entirely clear but the current information only view should still be the default view (maybe as the summary tab in your metadata pop-up) so all the picturey wonderfullness and general information al stuff would still be present *and* it would clearly separate the editing from the viewing which would only be accessed when selecting the menu tabs.

But if it's all how you like it, fair enough then.

It's also just easier for me to know when a user modifies data if I make them go to a separate window just for modifying data. Wink

- pecinko - 2011-09-26

Maybe add a tab for metadata?

Everything would stay as it is now - right pane would have 2 tabs. First for images as it is now and when you click on second you get metadata view?

Double click would bring up a separate window containing those 2 tabs - one for images drag and drop, second for metadata editing.

I have a question - if file parameters could be read, will resolution, codec etc be saved to nfos then?