Kodi Community Forum
How to Power ON/OFF your HTPC using a Remote? - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: How to Power ON/OFF your HTPC using a Remote? (/showthread.php?tid=111310)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48

- Nexxo - 2011-12-16

EGOvoruhk Wrote:For those using ASRock boards and CIR, do you need to use the ASRock branded remote for all CIR stuff? I was looking at their E350M1 board, but I only want the CIR stuff for turning the machine on. I figured I'd train a remote rather than buy theirs just to turn it on

I have the Asrock Z68-mITX/HT motherboard with the stock smart remote and CIR receiver. I can confirm that the receiver works with the harmony remote when registers as either a MCE keyboard or MCE remote. I have 100% control with my harmony to power on from S5 shutdown!

I would assume it works with the interset CIR receiver as well, since they bundle it with a MCE remote.

- two_OH_five - 2011-12-16

voip-ninja Wrote:Hmmm.. strange. I have this same model motherboard and I have gotten the CIR header working with the ASRock branded CIR adapter. My issue with the ASRock unit was the short range and the fact that it did not lend itself to internal installation.

Are you using another manufacturer's CIR? The pinout on the ASRock boards is not the same, so if you are trying to use a different make/model CIR you probably have to repin the USB header if you want it to work correctly.

Using the Asrock CIR receiver plugged in as per Blu's link. It's slightly complicated by the Antec case I have as the two front connector looms disappear into the front panel so I can't check that they're correct

I plan to have another go at it over the weekend, hopefully I'll get it up and running but since the generic remote in the USB port offers the same functionality I'm not too worried TBH

- r1lee - 2011-12-16

i bought myself one of these to power on my XBMC machine in the kids play area.

http://www.insteon.net/2856s3b-icon-appliance-on-off-module.html

set the BIOS to turn on after power loss. When i head downstairs, i turn on the lights with the Ipad and turn on this module at the same time and the PC boots up.

- EGOvoruhk - 2011-12-17

Nexxo Wrote:I have the Asrock Z68-mITX/HT motherboard with the stock smart remote and CIR receiver. I can confirm that the receiver works with the harmony remote when registers as either a MCE keyboard or MCE remote. I have 100% control with my harmony to power on from S5 shutdown!

I would assume it works with the interset CIR receiver as well, since they bundle it with a MCE remote.

Do you know if, or can you test out if the CIR functions work over a different receiver? I'm assuming (and hoping) so, if your current receiver is processing regular MCE remote commands

- Amelandbor - 2011-12-17

Balinus Wrote:That's strange. I can't no longer power on my HTPC with my remote. It still works with my RF keyboard though! Re-installed W7 to make sure it wasn't the cause.... :/

Any updates on this? As this seems the perfect solution for my parent's new HTPC I'm going to build.

- voip-ninja - 2011-12-18

So, I installed the Inteset CIR USB header/adapter onto my ASRock H67M-ITX. It did involve re-pinning the header on the motherboard side, per some notes on the Inteset site.

Whatever you do, DON'T plug this straight in and turn it on as it could potentially cook the unit.

Seems to work very well and seems just as fast and responsive as my off board HP USB IR, which is saying a lot.

And, most important thing is, it will power the box up from a cold standby state! Smile

I do have a question though.. When I press the power toggle button on the remote, the PC just goes into standby. Is there some way of telling windows that when the IR power button is pressed that I want it to shut the PC down instead?

- pike - 2011-12-18

voip-ninja Wrote:I do have a question though.. When I press the power toggle button on the remote, the PC just goes into standby. Is there some way of telling windows that when the IR power button is pressed that I want it to shut the PC down instead?

Have you checked Settings::System:Tongueower Saving::Shutdown Function ?

I don't use xbmc on windows so I don't know what works there Eek

Hi Pike. There is a setting that allows you to tell the system what you do when pushing a button, but I don't see a setting that will allow me to tell the system that if it receives a "sleep" request (I'm guessing this is what the IR sends when it does a power off or power-toggle function) to do a full shutdown.

Rather frustrating actually.

- bluray - 2011-12-18

voip-ninja Wrote:Rather frustrating actually.
All MOBO makers should make the IR option a little easier for consumer. They should use XBOX 360 for example. I can turn on my kid XBOX 360 Kinect with MCE remote out of the box! Smile

- eskro - 2011-12-18

agreed!

- Nexxo - 2011-12-18

voip-ninja Wrote:I do have a question though.. When I press the power toggle button on the remote, the PC just goes into standby. Is there some way of telling windows that when the IR power button is pressed that I want it to shut the PC down instead?

Same with mine, I fixed it using a seperate program to remap the power toggle button.

Check this post out for the details http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=955123&postcount=245

Nexxo Wrote:Same with mine, I fixed it using a seperate program to remap the power toggle button.

Check this post out for the details http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=955123&postcount=245

unfortunately that software looks like abandonware i imagine that theres a way to hack the registry or IR codes to achieve this without having to install additional software. I will keep looking

Okay, I came up with a very crude workaround. I programmed XBMC to shut down windows when the "shutdown" option is selected.

Then I programmed my Harmony to send the proper key strokes to stop playback, choose the shutdown menu, arrow down and press "enter" on the "shutdown" choice.

This shuts windows down.

Would still be happier if I could just hack Windows to actually shut down when it gets the "power off" signal from the IR remote.

- bluray - 2011-12-18

voip-ninja Wrote:Okay, I came up with a very crude workaround. I programmed XBMC to shut down windows when the "shutdown" option is selected.

Then I programmed my Harmony to send the proper key strokes to stop playback, choose the shutdown menu, arrow down and press "enter" on the "shutdown" choice.

This shuts windows down.

Would still be happier if I could just hack Windows to actually shut down when it gets the "power off" signal from the IR remote.
Shut down is the easiest part, and cold start is the hardest part! Smile

- Balinus - 2011-12-19

Amelandbor Wrote:Any updates on this? As this seems the perfect solution for my parent's new HTPC I'm going to build.

Well, it seems to be related to the front USB ports. It stopped working after I used a mouse on the front port for something=stopped working. Then, 3 weeks later, I plugged in an external USB HDD and transfered some files. After that, it was working again.... until I plugged in a USB game pad some days later! Since then, it no longer works! So, I'll try with another USB device in the near future to see if it works again!.

But, as i plan to use the game pad for emulation, I might not spend too much time on this feature, unless I find a solution that permanently work.

In the end, for HTPC purpose only, I guess it'll work flawlessly if you don't plug USB devices.