Kodi Community Forum
How to Power ON/OFF your HTPC using a Remote? - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: How to Power ON/OFF your HTPC using a Remote? (/showthread.php?tid=111310)

- voip-ninja - 2011-10-12

Okay, I've got it more or less working. Initially I did not think that the power toggle for the "ms keyboard" was working, but after testing it appears that it does. The only remaining issue now is that the inter-key delay is not very good.

Here's what I have done.

I build a new custom Harmony activity that included;

1. AVR
2. Media Center PC
3. Media Center KB
4. TV

I then mapped whichever buttons I wanted from whichever device. I also manually added a "power toggle" from the Media Center PC remote to both start and stop of my "use XBMC PC" activity... just in case the Power Toggle for the Media Center KB was not picked up.

I have observed that the Media Center KB seems to have poor inter-key delay times compared to the Media Center PC... so I just mapped those buttons for the up/down/left/right/ok rather than messing around with playing with the button timings in the Harmony activity.

It is working fairly well. I have observed that the range and angle of the ASRock USB CIR is not really all that great, so I might run a USB extension so that I can position it more in the center of my media rack.

I still need some help debugging remaining playback issues, but that can go into another more appropriate thread.

Okay, this is a little weird. It appears that the POWER TOGGLE will turn the HTPC on from a cold power off state, but if you used POWER TOGGLE to put it into a suspend state, that POWER TOGGLE will not turn it back on, you must send the "POWER ON" command. Weird.

- eskro - 2011-10-12

ok, when u say 'I have observed that the Media Center KB seems to have poor inter-key delay times compared to the Media Center PC'

simply play with Speed settings!
set it to from from 0ms to 300ms...
i've set mine to 0ms....

Okay, I have found something about the ASRock CIR that is probably a deal breaker for most of those here.

The whole time I had been testing it, I was just a few feet away from the sensor. As soon as I moved more than 5-6 feet away it completely stopped working. The range is terrible!

I plugged in my heavy duty HP MCE USB IR and it works from across the room over 15 feet away.

So, looks like the ASRock will not work for me after all, I will have to power up/down the box the old fashioned way. At least I'm only out $8.

- eskro - 2011-10-12

wow o.O 5-6 feet away it completely stopped working!!

How could they do that!!

thats a shame!!

i wonder if you plug your HP MCE USB IR where the ASROCK one was,
PowerON/OFF still works??

eskro Wrote:wow o.O 5-6 feet away it completely stopped working!!

How could they do that!!

thats a shame!!

i wonder if you plug your HP MCE USB IR where the ASROCK one was,
PowerON/OFF still works??

no regular USB device that I have plugged in to the CIR port works at all. However power toggle has worked on every MCE receiver I have tried. It just can't do a cold boot from the remote.

- eskro - 2011-10-12

man, that sucks,,, how could they do that?

these reveicers are meant to be used with a remote,

which means users will be sitting on a couch,,,

thats crazy

- eskro - 2011-10-12

voip-ninja Wrote:However power toggle has worked on every MCE receiver I have tried. It just can't do a cold boot from the remote.

ok hold on, im getting confused Tongue

if i got it right,
using your HP IR receiver plugged in where the ASROCK one was,
you cant PowerON/OFF your HTPC?
meaning, you need specifically the ASROCK receiver for PowerON/OFF!?

- rufrothy - 2011-10-12

eskro Wrote:ok hold on, im getting confused Tongue

if i got it right,

I think he's saying that plugging in the HP into another USB slot yields similar functionality minus the cold start.

Bummer regardless. I'll post my observations when mine arrives....

- rufrothy - 2011-10-12

voip-ninja Wrote:Okay, I've got it more or less working. Initially I did not think that the power toggle for the "ms keyboard" was working, but after testing it appears that it does. The only remaining issue now is that the inter-key delay is not very good.

Here's what I have done.

I build a new custom Harmony activity that included;

1. AVR
2. Media Center PC
3. Media Center KB
4. TV

I then mapped whichever buttons I wanted from whichever device. I also manually added a "power toggle" from the Media Center PC remote to both start and stop of my "use XBMC PC" activity... just in case the Power Toggle for the Media Center KB was not picked up.

I have observed that the Media Center KB seems to have poor inter-key delay times compared to the Media Center PC... so I just mapped those buttons for the up/down/left/right/ok rather than messing around with playing with the button timings in the Harmony activity.

It is working fairly well. I have observed that the range and angle of the ASRock USB CIR is not really all that great, so I might run a USB extension so that I can position it more in the center of my media rack.

I still need some help debugging remaining playback issues, but that can go into another more appropriate thread.

glad you got it working. I have both MCE Keyboard and MCE in my activities for that reason.

BTW: One tip for Harmony 650 users. the 650 does not have the number of LED's you get in a 880, or Harmony one. I have found that aiming it at the ceiling or wall can give better results for slightly obstructed components.

EDIT: ouch, read about the distance issue

- rufrothy - 2011-10-12

voip-ninja Wrote:Okay, I have found something about the ASRock CIR that is probably a deal breaker for most of those here.

The whole time I had been testing it, I was just a few feet away from the sensor. As soon as I moved more than 5-6 feet away it completely stopped working. The range is terrible!

I plugged in my heavy duty HP MCE USB IR and it works from across the room over 15 feet away.

So, looks like the ASRock will not work for me after all, I will have to power up/down the box the old fashioned way. At least I'm only out $8.

Ouch thats lame!!!!!!

rufrothy Wrote:I think he's saying that plugging in the HP into another USB slot yields similar functionality minus the cold start.

Bummer regardless. I'll post my observations when mine arrives....

yes, this.

- bluray - 2011-10-12

eskro Wrote:ok hold on, im getting confused Tongue

if i got it right,

it's propriety, and the circuitry of their cir receiver is configured to be used with their cir usb. if they don't do that, they cannot sale their cir receiver.

- bluray - 2011-10-12

voip-ninja Wrote:Okay, I have gotten some requests to provide some specifics on the USB IR that I am going to order directly from ASRock.

1. I'm not responsible if you try to order this and they say "who the hell are you", "no" or simply ignore you (I included a printout of the support response that indicated they could sell me one when I ordered mine to try to avoid that possibility).

2. I'm not responsible if this thing does not work with your motherboard (or your universal remote).

3. From doing research on this, the profile for Microsoft MCE should simply "work" with this thing, but I'm not sure about the power on/off functionality, I will know more if/when mine arrives.

4. The nice folks at ASRock told me I could get the USB adapter + remote control directly from Super Biiz, so you could always try going that route too.

5. Maybe if enough people flood them with checks requesting these devices they will realize there is a retail market for it and make the part available on Newegg and elsewhere.... or, they could decide they don't want to deal with end users and stop offering it. I don't know. Caveat Emptor.

So, here's the info.
it is sad, i never receive a reply from asrock. if they're selling their asrock remote control and cir receiver, why don't they have "buy it now" button on their website. it's very weird policy to have us mail in a check to purchase it!

You don't want it anyway. Unless the one I bought is defective the range is too poor to be of use to most HTPC people.