Kodi Community Forum
HTPC - Windows 7 with XBMC or XBMC standlone? - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Kodi related discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Thread: HTPC - Windows 7 with XBMC or XBMC standlone? (/showthread.php?tid=112913)

Pages: 1 2

HTPC - Windows 7 with XBMC or XBMC standlone? - drubin44 - 2011-10-21

Just built a new HTPC and debateing about duel booting windows 7 and XBMC so they are standalone OSs or should I install windows 7 and put XBMC on it as a program?

And does XBMC support blu-ray drive and 3D output?

- outatouch0 - 2011-10-22

as far as stand alone XBMC goes you can simply run those versions of a USB drive rather than setting up a traditional 'dual OS boot' system.
Doing the two separately would require you to shut down one to switch to the other which is more hassle than exiting or minimizing xbmc to use windows stuff or other programs. If you are concerned with Win7 boot up time an SSD is the way to go. (See the hardware section of the forums).

I don't now about the 3D particulars. I beleive there is a way to integrate an optical drive to play within xbmc.

- bluray - 2011-10-22

drubin44 Wrote:Just built a new HTPC and debateing about duel booting windows 7 and XBMC so they are standalone OSs or should I install windows 7 and put XBMC on it as a program?
w7+xbmc is the easiest route.

drubin44 Wrote:And does XBMC support blu-ray drive and 3D output?
xbmc don't support 3d, but it can playback 2d bd directly on bd-rom.

- wbread99 - 2011-10-22

bluray Wrote:w7+xbmc is the easiest route.

+1 on W7. Easiest route. I still cannot get my BR drive to work with XBMC. different conversation.

- bluray - 2011-10-22

wbread99 Wrote:+1 on W7. Easiest route. I still cannot get my BR drive to work with XBMC. different conversation.
here is a quick and easy way to playback bd on bd-rom- post #271.

- BamBam1963 - 2011-11-13

bluray Wrote:w7+xbmc is the easiest route.

I concur.

- fryed_1 - 2011-11-14

Meh... I favor XBMC Live. I have a dedicated linux media server running MySQL, sickbeard, sabnzb+ and couch potato.

It takes me about 20 minutes from start to finish to setup a new box or rebuild and it's just like any other appliance. Haven't needed to hook up keyboard to it in almost a year.

- bluedevil229 - 2011-11-14

What's your setup hardware-wise? Just built an i3 2100 box with an SSD, and was considering doing live (or OPENELEC). Thoughts on the differences?

- eg4190 - 2011-11-15

Once everything is all set up, XBMC Live is definitely the better solution, particularly if you don't plan on doing anything with your HTPC other than using XBMC.

But, I've installed XBMC Live on three different machines, and every install found me troubleshooting some insane Linux issue (one time Live would boot up from my thumb drive but it wouldn't install to HD without some tweaks to the boot files, I spent several hours getting the HDMI audio to work properly on another box, and wifi setup from the Linux command line is still a small nightmare on any machine).

Once these issues were fixed, my boxes have required zero maintenance, but still -- none of these issues will pop up on a Windows 7 box. From a clean install with the latest drivers you just install XBMC and it works in seconds. As a bonus, you can easily install some light games and you can fall back to the desktop to browse the web and do anything else.

- dsimages - 2011-11-15

My vote goes for standalone. I use Openelec on two different boxes connected to a server. Throw a mysql database in the mix and you tasting a little slice of HTPC heaven.

STANDALONE - FTW!

- bluray - 2011-11-15

if you want to natively playback bd iso/m2ts/mkv and index.bdmv directly on bd-rom in 1080p video and bitstreaming dts-hd and truehd audio, there is nothing easier than w7+xbmc. it works flawless on my 4 htpc's that i built.Smile

- schneidz - 2011-11-15

fryed_1 Wrote:Meh... I favor XBMC Live. I have a dedicated linux media server running MySQL, sickbeard, sabnzb+ and couch potato.

It takes me about 20 minutes from start to finish to setup a new box or rebuild and it's just like any other appliance. Haven't needed to hook up keyboard to it in almost a year.

+ 1 xbmc-live is made to be like a set-top box replacement.

- nekoarashi - 2011-11-24

Hm so.. I installed XBMC Live but it runs terribly slow on my htpc - most likely because I can't obtain drivers. I booted Grub> and tried entering command lines but nothing seems to work. I know hardly anything about OS outside of Snow leopard/7/xp/vista- is there a start to finish tutorial on setting up xbmc live with drivers and all to work? thx =)

- jhsrennie - 2011-11-25

Wouldn't it be easier to use an OS that you know? Playing with Linux can be fun, but if you just want XBMC to work why not use Windows?

JR

- T800 - 2011-11-25

I went with Windows 7 even though I didn't know Windows at all, because if you run into a problem there's 100's of other people on the internet that have a solution that I can understand.