Kodi Community Forum
Show missing episodes in TV Shows list - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Feature Requests (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: Show missing episodes in TV Shows list (/showthread.php?tid=113370)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

RE: Show missing episodes in TV Shows list - t2ffn - 2013-06-15

Indeed, many want, just need to hope someone with the skills and time is kind enough to deliver.

I posted way back when on the same topic, as I'm sure others have: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=116346

Sv: RE: Show missing episodes in TV Shows list - Tobby - 2013-07-23

(2013-06-10, 03:57)Ned Scott Wrote: Well, one of the ideas tosses around is providing a standard way for skins to display such info. Generally speaking, anything that we can make an add-on, should be an add-on. We still want to make such things easier to integrate and implement.
I think this is such a basic feature it should be implemented with XBMC without the use of ab add-on. And by basic I don't mean easy, but a key feature.

RE: Show missing episodes in TV Shows list - Ned Scott - 2013-07-23

It could be something that would be a default add-on, but still an add-on. The long term goal is to make most of XBMC into add-ons. AirPlay? That's going to be an add-on in the future. The internal video player itself? Well... someday... but yes, even that will someday become an add-on. The idea being, we can update add-ons faster and safer than updating things in the core of XBMC.

Sv: RE: Show missing episodes in TV Shows list - Tobby - 2013-07-23

(2013-07-23, 02:28)Ned Scott Wrote: It could be something that would be a default add-on, but still an add-on. The long term goal is to make most of XBMC into add-ons. AirPlay? That's going to be an add-on in the future. The internal video player itself? Well... someday... but yes, even that will someday become an add-on. The idea being, we can update add-ons faster and safer than updating things in the core of XBMC.

I see. So rather than updating the entire XBMC you would only update the add-ons and plugins that are affected?

On topic, this is my most wanted feature.

RE: Show missing episodes in TV Shows list - kiwi - 2013-09-21

Hi, is this going to be implemented / take in consideration? I totally agree that this would be an awesome feature!

RE: Show missing episodes in TV Shows list - Tobby - 2014-10-07

Every time there's a feature freeze I'm disappointed that this didn't make the cut. :/ Too bad...

RE: Show missing episodes in TV Shows list - Karnagious - 2014-10-08

Like he said, it would be an addon solution.

This is how I imagine it working:
- the addon would be a service that runs sporadically (perhaps on a library update?)
- it creates a folder structure in the addondata folder for every tv show
- it scrapes the tv show info (season, episode #s) from the usual sources (this folder would need to be added to the XBMC sources file)
- it detects which shows are missing (perhaps the user has the option to only do this for episodes that are after the first non-missing one)
- for each show that is missing it adds a copy of a very very small video to the dummy folder structure with the episodes details
- the video just says "episode is missing" if you run it
- it could then change the display name of the episode in the video database to include *MISSING* to the start, this means that it would be obvious on all skins that use the display name
- each time it is run, it checks to see if any of the missing episodes have been found, and it deletes the database entry for the dummy file if that is the case.

If it is run on a library update then the changes wont take effect until the next update, so maybe it has to run the update twice and ignore the second update to avoid infinite recursion.

RE: Show missing episodes in TV Shows list - Tobby - 2014-10-08

(2014-10-08, 00:53)Karnagious Wrote: Like he said, it would be an addon solution.

This is how I imagine it working:
- the addon would be a service that runs sporadically (perhaps on a library update?)
- it scrapes the tv show info (season, episode #s) from the usual sources (this folder would need to be added to the XBMC sources file)
- it detects which shows are missing (perhaps the user has the option to only do this for episodes that are after the first non-missing one)
- for each show that is missing it adds a copy of a very very small video to the dummy folder structure with the episodes details
- it could then change the display name of the episode in the video database to include *MISSING* to the start, this means that it would be obvious on all skins that use the display name
- each time it is run, it checks to see if any of the missing episodes have been found, and it deletes the database entry for the dummy file if that is the case.

If it is run on a library update then the changes wont take effect until the next update, so maybe it has to run the update twice and ignore the second update to avoid infinite recursion.
Dummy files seems a bit obnoxious. Hopefully it would be possible to solve it without them.

RE: Show missing episodes in TV Shows list - Karnagious - 2014-10-09

There needs to be something there for the system to be able to touch so that the entries arent just removed when the library is cleaned. And they need to have different names so the scraper knows which episodes to scrape. They could be as little as 1kb, and the folder structure is in the addon_data folder so not intrusive on the users storage media.

RE: Show missing episodes in TV Shows list - Tobby - 2014-10-09

(2014-10-09, 00:16)Karnagious Wrote: There needs to be something there for the system to be able to touch so that the entries arent just removed when the library is cleaned. And they need to have different names so the scraper knows which episodes to scrape. They could be as little as 1kb, and the folder structure is in the addon_data folder so not intrusive on the users storage media.
Oh, then I'm on board. Blush Too bad I don't know shit about coding :/

RE: Show missing episodes in TV Shows list - takoi - 2014-10-09

(2014-10-08, 00:53)Karnagious Wrote: This is how I imagine it working:
And that is why this can't or shouldn't be an addon. Kudos for creativity!, but the solutions is at best a hack that require lots of user setup and will only work in some situations. There's too many core parts involved here (scraping the informations, storing it, to displaying it in the library) that add-ons don't have access to.

RE: Show missing episodes in TV Shows list - Karnagious - 2014-10-10

As I see it, there is one major drawback, and that is that the library update needs to run twice. But I think the API request for the update can specify a folder to scan rather than all sources, so that would cut down in time.

The scraping of all episodes would be something new, but the rest of the functionality is stuff I am at least a little bit familiar with.

I am in the middle of refactoring LazyTV, but that is a huge job, so I can shelve it for a little while. (I have coders-block at the moment anyway Smile)

RE: Show missing episodes in TV Shows list - Tobby - 2014-10-12

(2014-10-10, 00:17)Karnagious Wrote: As I see it, there is one major drawback, and that is that the library update needs to run twice. But I think the API request for the update can specify a folder to scan rather than all sources, so that would cut down in time.

The scraping of all episodes would be something new, but the rest of the functionality is stuff I am at least a little bit familiar with.

I am in the middle of refactoring LazyTV, but that is a huge job, so I can shelve it for a little while. (I have coders-block at the moment anyway Smile)
Are you saying you might be able to create the addon? Smile

RE: Show missing episodes in TV Shows list - Karnagious - 2014-10-13

(2014-10-12, 17:14)Tobby Wrote:
(2014-10-10, 00:17)Karnagious Wrote: As I see it, there is one major drawback, and that is that the library update needs to run twice. But I think the API request for the update can specify a folder to scan rather than all sources, so that would cut down in time.

I can take a swing at it. Unless someone beats me to it.

If anyone has any tips/examples on how to get the season and episodes from theTVDB, I would appreciate it.

RE: Show missing episodes in TV Shows list - Tobby - 2014-10-13

(2014-10-13, 14:08)Karnagious Wrote:
(2014-10-12, 17:14)Tobby Wrote:

I can take a swing at it. Unless someone beats me to it.

If anyone has any tips/examples on how to get the season and episodes from theTVDB, I would appreciate it.
Awesome. I would help if I could, but sadly I don't know anything about coding :/