Kodi Community Forum
XBMC on Raspberry Pi - Wonder if this will work out? (Historical Discussion Thread) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Raspberry Pi (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=166)
+---- Thread: XBMC on Raspberry Pi - Wonder if this will work out? (Historical Discussion Thread) (/showthread.php?tid=113824)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46

- castalla - 2012-03-03

I'll be surprised if anybody actually gets a PI if they order through Farrell.

I got an email asking me to pre-order - which I promptly did, only to be told that the unit price of 27 euros was less than their minimum credit card charge of 30 euros!

I persisted and suddenly ended up with a bill for over 80 euros charged to my card (for THREE UNITS!!!!). The website is so badly organised that it is impossible to discover what status or content any order actually has.

This is the WORST online ordering experience I've ever had.

A HUGE mistake by PI to hand over sales to this useless outfit.

(To add insult to injury - the Farrell email asking me to pre-order also had a free T-shirt offer included. An utter farce!!!!)

- Milhouse - 2012-03-03

It seems buyers in different countries have experienced a variety of different issues. The Foundation are trying to eliminate these "wrinkles" and to ensure transparency with a full cost breakdown so you will know why you are being charged more (in some cases it has been due to mistakes on the website). See latest post on the Raspberry Pi web site.

For what it's worth, the UK Farnell website is not badly organised and it's pretty easy to determine the status of an order, so presumably the problems you are experiencing are down to your local Farnell associate, whoever that may be. Give it a bit more time and these initial problems should be eliminated.

- castalla - 2012-03-03

Wrinkles!!!Huh Incompetence, more likely!

The Spanish outfit is Farnell Spain - the email came from Farnell Marketing UK. It's the same useless company.

They are not geared up for non-commercial buyers.

A breakdown of costs? How the hell can it cost 15 euros postage for a small credit-card sized package? That's 2/3 of the unit cost!

Instead of endless blogging with fanboys, they should have spent their time organising an efficient sales system.

(And it's impossible to post on the Pi website - each time I've tried all I get is an error when I copy and paste the password!!! Infuriating. there's obviously some 'fanboy' trick to posting because there are 100s of pointless posts from the very same).

- PatK - 2012-03-03

Love to get a couple of Model-B, but to get them here in Canada, shipping, handling and customs looks like a show stopper.

- castalla - 2012-03-03

Tell you what ... if I end up with 3, I'll send 2 to you at cost price as 'gifts' - you should avoid duties then!

- Milhouse - 2012-03-03

castalla Wrote:Wrinkles!!!Huh Incompetence, more likely!

The Spanish outfit is Farnell Spain - the email came from Farnell Marketing UK. It's the same useless company.

They are not geared up for non-commercial buyers.

A breakdown of costs? How the hell can it cost 15 euros postage for a small credit-card sized package? That's 2/3 of the unit cost!

Instead of endless blogging with fanboys, they should have spent their time organising an efficient sales system.

(And it's impossible to post on the Pi website - each time I've tried all I get is an error when I copy and paste the password!!! Infuriating. there's obviously some 'fanboy' trick to posting because there are 100s of pointless posts from the very same).

Just read the latest status update on the Raspberry Pi website and calm down.

- Milhouse - 2012-03-03

PatK Wrote:Love to get a couple of Model-B, but to get them here in Canada, shipping, handling and customs looks like a show stopper.

Read the Farnell FAQ - no show stopper for you. Smile

- nooryani84 - 2012-03-03

I definitely won't be getting a Raspberry Pi anytime soon seeing as the guy behind the XBMC-port, Sam Nazarko is the same guy who claims that his Crystalbuntu is superior to AppleTV and OpenELEC quite blatantly. I don't like developers that bad mouth other projects, that's just poor taste.

The other issue is that it seems like he's the sole developer on this project and instead of being a community driven project. Can anyone confirm this?

- castalla - 2012-03-03

Well - attempt 2 at ordering - this time I declared myself as a company, and the order was accepted. Ridiculous.

I'll be amazed if it actually works.

- castalla - 2012-03-03

nooryani84 Wrote:I definitely won't be getting a Raspberry Pi anytime soon seeing as the guy behind the XBMC-port, Sam Nazarko is the same guy who claims that his Crystalbuntu is superior to AppleTV and OpenELEC quite blatantly. I don't like developers that bad mouth other projects, that's just poor taste.

The other issue is that it seems like he's the sole developer on this project and instead of being a community driven project. Can anyone confirm this?

I think you're mistaken - there's an 'official' port, as far as I know.

- pumkinut - 2012-03-03

Quote: I definitely won't be getting a Raspberry Pi anytime soon seeing as the guy behind the XBMC-port, Sam Nazarko is the same guy who claims that his Crystalbuntu is superior to AppleTV and OpenELEC quite blatantly. I don't like developers that bad mouth other projects, that's just poor taste.

Confirm what? That Sam is rolling his own build of Linux+XBMC for the RPi? Yes, he's doing that. That it's not community supported/driven? What gives you that idea? Did Sam state that he wouldn't accept any help/assistance/guidance on the project? If he did, I'd like to see where. I'm sure if you're willing to add to the project in a real way, he'd not turn you down.

As far as Sam stating Crystalbuntu is better than Openelec for the ATV1, that's a matter of opinion, and he's free to have his. Personally, I share that opinion. I don't like the locked down nature of Openelec and the inability to change things. To each his own.

please delete

please delete

- gimli - 2012-03-04

Please keep the distribution war out of this thread. Lets stay at xbmc on the PI.

- castalla - 2012-03-04

nooryani84 Wrote:http://www.raspbmc.com/2012/02/everything-about-raspbmc-and-its-developer/

Stop quibbling and nitpicking!