Kodi Community Forum
ATV2 and Time Capsule - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: iOS & tvOS (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=137)
+---- Thread: ATV2 and Time Capsule (/showthread.php?tid=116714)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

ATV2 and Time Capsule - MrTraverso - 2011-12-11

Hi guys,

I'm italian, so sorry for my bad english.

I've bought AT2 and Time Capsule. I've jailbreak AT2 and install XBMC. If i try to strem a 1080p film from my PC(windows 7) i don't have any problem but if i try to stream a same film from time capsule it are every 30 second in buffering.
If i play a film on my pc from tc have any problem. I Can't understand what is the problem.

thanks

PS: my Lan is all wired

- MrTraverso - 2011-12-11

someone help me please!!!

- Jester - 2011-12-11

screaming for help after 3 hours doesn't really help...

also

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=92480

- MrTraverso - 2011-12-12

I'm sorry but I do not have any crash. I have a problem only with files in time capsule therefore i think is not necessary the log file.

- Ned Scott - 2011-12-12

Don't use a Time Capsule. Far too many reports of it not working. Also, no log = no soup

- activate - 2011-12-12

Lol@Jester....

Have to agree with Ned. I tried all sorts of combinations with atv2. Time Capsule was almost at the bottom of the list as far as performance goes. It might still work depending upon a host of other things, network, drive, connection, codec etc... Generally speaking though, you may struggle especially with high bitrate streams and the codecs requiring more processing.

- DStu - 2011-12-12

I had a Time Capsule...tossed it out.

Got a Router with a USB host and plugged in 1TB portable drive instead. Works brilliantly, and you should be able to sell the Time Capsule and not have to fork out too much extra for the new gear.

- bonic38 - 2011-12-13

Hello,

I've got a timecapsule (4th gen) and ran initially into problems (with AFP giving even worse results than SMB). Those seems to be solved by changing TCP ACK settings in sysctl.conf on the ATV2 :

/etc/sysctl.conf :
net.inet.tcp.delayed_ack=1

Note that the value "0" simply don't work.

Playing high bitrates 1280p mkv now works like a charm with AFP - occasional stuttering may appear with SMB, but it is ways better than before (systematic buffering). Using Wifi.

Worth a try i think.

- GnarusLeo - 2011-12-13

Interesting!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TCP_window_scale_option

Seems like windows, linux and osx have this enabled by default, and iOS doesn't? (At work, not confirmed). It may not be set due to compability issues with some devices - if I know Apple right, it is better to be safe than sorry.

Read elsewhere that people with lin/osx had 5-6 times performance gain on AFP file transfer by playing with these values. Shocked

Thanks for the info, I will definitely try this when I come home.

- MrTraverso - 2011-12-13

Hi Bonic,

Thank you for reply. I've tried to connect with ssh in my AT2 but in ect/ i can't find sysctl.conf i've only found syslog.conf.
Could you help me please?

I've bought TC only for this because i thought there's no problem from apple device to apple device....

thanks

- Ned Scott - 2011-12-13

bonic38 Wrote:Hello,

I've got a timecapsule (4th gen) and ran initially into problems (with AFP giving even worse results than SMB). Those seems to be solved by changing TCP ACK settings in sysctl.conf on the ATV2 :

/etc/sysctl.conf :

Playing high bitrates 1280p mkv now works like a charm with AFP - occasional stuttering may appear with SMB, but it is ways better than before (systematic buffering). Using Wifi.

Worth a try i think.

Sounds like we're on to something here!

- Jester - 2011-12-13

bonic38 Wrote:Hello,

/etc/sysctl.conf :

Worth a try i think.

Nice one !

you can use
Code:
sysctl -w net.inet.tcp.delayed_ack=1
to try it "live"
the setting will be lost on reboot, if it works fine, create a /etc/sysctl.conf and put the line in there as indicated by bonic38

- Jester - 2011-12-13

P.S.

as i'm now playing around with this, I just noticed the default maximum Segment Size is only 512 (probably done for wifi ??) however if you run a wired setup this is a bit low, as with ethernet you can use frame sizes of 1500 (minus TCP overhead) so this can be increased to 1440

so

Code:
sysctl -w net.inet.tcp.mssdflt=1440

Might give some more wired network speed, again this is only doing the setting live, you will loose it on reboot, for permanent, put it in /etc/sysctl.conf

Help - MrTraverso - 2011-12-14

I've open the post but i have not solved the problem. I can't find a sysctl in AT2.
Help me please.

- GnarusLeo - 2011-12-14

Hi,

this did definately change something. The moment I used delayed_ACK=1, all my movies would buffer much more rapidly I'm affraid.

Nevertheless, this might be onto something. I have played with alot of these sysctl settings, but yet to find a good setup for my rig. (Which should be pretty standard: ATV2 -> CAT6 -> Time Caspule

As to the OP:

If the file isn't there, simply create it. I prefer installing nano first, and edit my files directly through SSH:

1. apt-get install nano
2. nano /etc/sysctl.conf
3. type whatever you want accoring to previous posts
4. Press ctrl-o, confirm by "y", and ctrl-x to quit again.