Kodi Community Forum
How to Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Linux (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: How to Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs (/showthread.php?tid=116996)

RE: Howto Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs - fritsch - 2013-01-18

For all the users, that want to download Catalyst 13.1:

- AMD this time provides a real changelog and the driver now officially supports Level51 with 16 Reframes - the amdpcsdb hack is not needed anymore

- From my testing: 50p, 60i, 50i (this is most Live TV) does not work without drops anymore
- 24p, 29.97i was fine

I would stay with Catalyst 12.10 on Precise and with the Quantal driver that is shipped with Quantal on Quantal.

RE: Howto Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs - gradinaruvasile - 2013-01-18

With 13.1 was able to play the killa_sampla mkv without issues. On previous versions (12.11, 12.12) didnt work (looped the first few seconds endlessly).

RE: Howto Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs - fritsch - 2013-01-18

@gradinaruvasile:
Yeah, that was the reason I did not recommend them in the last months, if you read back - you see that this issue was known. Although 13.1 does improve some parts - It cannot compete with 12.10 (on Precise) or the 12.9Qunatal (on Quantal) version. This is also the reason we will be shipping Catalyst 12.10 with OpenELEC.

RE: Howto Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs - Artax - 2013-01-18

Thank you Fritsch, I think that we discover something strange.

Let's take this step-by-step:

(2013-01-17, 23:24)fritsch Wrote: If you can - choose the S/PDIF output :-). As your HDMI only has 48khz, AE must resample it to be played in the right way and it does not do this automatically.

With S/PDIF output flac is played flawlessly, at least stereo one. The receiver detect the right 96 kHz sample rate. No drops.

Quote:Just for completeness: What does your receiver show this time? I think it indicates 44.1 khz, as this is what I see from the log - is this right?
With HDMI, playing the flac sample the receiver indicates 48 kHz! You said that the log shows 44.1 kHz, so it is very strange (a bug?).

(2013-01-17, 23:46)fritsch Wrote:
Code:
<!-- audio>
     <audiophile>1</audiophile>
  </audio -->

This looks btw. a bit odd :-) Could you remove it correctly ?

And try to workaround it with: <resample>48000</resample> within the <audio> section.
I decommented the audio section, removed the audiophile setting, added the resample command, and rebooted.
The flac issue is still present. The receiver detects (again) the right 48 kHz sample rate.
Here it is the full log with this advancedsettings.

Quote:I think I spotted a bug in the SoftAE Implementation - as it does not take the "old" wanted SampleRate into account - so afterwards - when it cannot play it with 96khz, it sets the output to 44.1 and misses "scaling" or resample factors. As this code - is really messy, with 100s of variables and a lot of cases - it is not easy to solve :-)
Maybe it can help, but with the previous release (I am using 2:12.0~git20130112.2341-rc3-3precise) the flac issue was not present. Was this code changed?

An important question: am I the only one to experience this issue?

Btw. What do you want the receiver to detect? 96khz is not possible via hdmi.
Could you downgrade your installation to the version you mentioned and really verify, that the issue is not present there?

RE: Howto Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs - Artax - 2013-01-18

(2013-01-18, 11:03)fritsch Wrote: Btw. What do you want the receiver to detect? 96khz is not possible via hdmi.
I don't want 96 kHz, I am fine with 48 kHz, but I would like that the resampling was performed correctly.

Quote:Could you downgrade your installation to the version you mentioned and really verify, that the issue is not present there?

I could try, but I don't know hot to obtain the previous versions of the packages.
From the apt log I can see that the two previous versions of xbmc are:
12.0~git20130104.1024-rc3-0precise
12.0~git20121223.0918-rc2-2precise

Let's meet at #xbmc-xvba over the weekend and see.

RE: Howto Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs - tutu - 2013-01-19

(2013-01-18, 09:28)fritsch Wrote: For all the users, that want to download Catalyst 13.1:

- AMD this time provides a real changelog and the driver now officially supports Level51 with 16 Reframes - the amdpcsdb hack is not needed anymore

- From my testing: 50p, 60i, 50i (this is most Live TV) does not work without drops anymore
- 24p, 29.97i was fine

I would stay with Catalyst 12.10 on Precise and with the Quantal driver that is shipped with Quantal on Quantal.

Looks like Catalyst 13.1 has fixed my issues with playback on Linux (random freeze after a minute) Big Grin Seems a good driver for AMD A6 5400K users!!

RE: Howto Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs - fritsch - 2013-01-19

@tutu:
Could you test the cpu load when you switch to a refreshrate that is not 60hz and Vertical Blank Sync is always enabled in System -> Video Hardware?

This is a big issue on all my systems (E350, E450) - as long as VSync is disable, all play fine, but when you enable it with refresh rate != 60hz, you get a whole lot of drops.

You can test with this sample: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/55728161/hd-kabelbw.avi which is 1080i50.

Set your refreshrate to 50hz, enable Vertical Blank Sync (which should be set, as suggested by this howto) and try this file.

Thx for your help.

Update: I made some tests. It seems that there is a bug in syncing to 50hz with 13.1 - if you playback the 50p/50i content on 60hz it is "fine" in the sense of those drops are gone. For that issue, i recommend staying on 12.10 / 12.9Quantal. If you have to use 13.1 watch out for this issue.

RE: Howto Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs - gradinaruvasile - 2013-01-19

(2013-01-19, 14:30)fritsch Wrote: @tutu:
Could you test the cpu load when you switch to a refreshrate that is not 60hz and Vertical Blank Sync is always enabled in System -> Video Hardware?

This is a big issue on all my systems (E350, E450) - as long as VSync is disable, all play fine, but when you enable it with refresh rate != 60hz, you get a whole lot of drops.

You can test with this sample: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/55728161/hd-kabelbw.avi which is 1080i50.

Set your refreshrate to 50hz, enable Vertical Blank Sync (which should be set, as suggested by this howto) and try this file.

Thx for your help.

Update: I made some tests. It seems that there is a bug in syncing to 50hz with 13.1 - if you playback the 50p/50i content on 60hz it is "fine" in the sense of those drops are gone. For that issue, i recommend staying on 12.10 / 12.9Quantal. If you have to use 13.1 watch out for this issue.

How exactly should this affect stuff? I played on both 75 and 60 Hz and was smooth as silk. With Vsync on, Tearfree on (A8-5500 APU with built-in AMD Radeon HD 7560D, 13.1 driver, Debian Testing).
But i only have a 17" monitor connected. Is this supposed to be different on a Full HD LCD tv?

RE: Howto Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs - fritsch - 2013-01-19

@gradinaruvasile:
Tearfree is evil itself ...as it introduces triple buffering and xbmc counts swapBuffers ... which would not work there in a right way.

The driver has to be in sync with the refreshrate, if it is not - you get a problem with tearing or framedrops or whatever. There are two "syncs":
a) Make sure the video card display exact the amount of frames you currently need (e.g. 23.976 fps when the TV is in this mode) to have perfect playback, that matches your output. Or 50hz when doing 25i and so on. Playing 50fps content on 60hz sucks - playing 24fps content on 60hz sucks even more.

b) Sync Playback to Display is used as an indicator to make Audio and Video in sync, to drop / resample Audio when video is going forward.

Vertical Blank Sync also does the job to limit the fps, so that xbmc does not consume more resources for your hardware than it would really need.

To finish the point - when the driver does not get the 50hz sync done correctly - it is really bad for LiveTV and other content that requires 50hz.

RE: Howto Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs - mrpg - 2013-01-19

Hi,

I have just switched to this version of xbmc (the Frodo RC3 version) as i have got fed up with the issue where xbmc hangs when starting videos (can hear the sound for about 10 secs, but no video, and then the only option is to kill the xbmc.bin process as it wont respond to keyboard or mouse)

This version seems to have fixed this problem (something to do with vaapi if i remeber correctly)

But in this version, i get what i call tearing at the top of the screen, its like a line at the top where the picture is kind of cut in half (when running the "regular" rc3 version of xbmc, i get no tearing at all)

I am running on Linux Mint 12, and using a Gforce 210 Nvidia card with the 304.64 nvidia drivers, i have vsync set to always on, and i have tried enabling/disabling all the different hw accelerator options, but no go.

Also read that gnome-shell could cause issues, so i tried running gnome-classic , but it made no difference (compiz is not installed)

Any suggestions or input is very welcome, can also try and provide any logs/setting needed in order to help troubleshoot.

Many thanks & Best regards
/PG

RE: Howto Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs - fritsch - 2013-01-20

Do you also have tearing, when you directly start xbmc from your lightdm? You can choose it as a session there. And please supply logfiles with debugging turned on (System -> Settings-> System -> Debugging)

RE: Howto Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs - c-shadow - 2013-01-20

Today i upgraded xbmc package on my E350:
Installed: 2:12.0~git20121223.0918-rc2-2precise
Candidate: 2:12.0~git20130112.2341-rc3-3precise
And got a bit of surprise - no pvr addon!??
Had to install xbmc-pvr-tvheadend-hts package separately and enable it to get it to work again.
Is this normal for a RC3?
Never had to to this before, all upgrades went smooth.

RE: Howto Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs - Balthazar - 2013-01-20

@ c-shadow - Yes it is normal. I had to do the same thing.