Kodi Community Forum
How to Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Linux (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: How to Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs (/showthread.php?tid=116996)

RE: Howto Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/ATI Radeon and Fusion GPUs - wsnipex - 2012-08-17

(2012-08-17, 06:31)jaychamp Wrote: Thank you for this how to, everything went pretty smooth and I have to just one question(so far)

How can I change to YCBCR 4:2:2? I looked through the aticonfig help but didn't find anything.

you can do that in amdcccle, but since xbmc is working with full RGB internally, its not recommended as its just double conversion.

RE: Howto Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/ATI Radeon and Fusion GPUs - golddk - 2012-08-17

A guide how to install 12.8 drivers ?

RE: Howto Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/ATI Radeon and Fusion GPUs - fritsch - 2012-08-17

@golddk:
Same as 12.6. You do not need to backup and copy control file. It just works ™.

Basically:
stop lightdm
install with --buildandinstallpkg
reissue the aticonfig commands

reboot & fine :-)

RE: Howto Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/ATI Radeon and Fusion GPUs - laric - 2012-08-17

Migth be the worng thread to ask this but what are the pro and cons for AMD vs Nvidia for xbmc on linux.

I am asking as I am looking to buy one more htpc and don't really know which to choose.

RE: Howto Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/ATI Radeon and Fusion GPUs - fritsch - 2012-08-17

@laric:
Buy nvidia (GT520).

Nvidia (>= ION-2):
Can do on linux:
Audio:
DTS-HD, TRUE-HD, AC3, DTS, LPCM, 8 Channels over HDMI
Video:
VC1, H264 (all levels), Mpeg2, (Mpeg4)
Deinterlacing: Temporal / Spatial (it uses temporal information (2+ frames) and spatial Information (out of one frame) to build up a complete frame)

AMD:
Can do on linux:
Audio:
DTS,AC3, 2 Channels over HDMI
Video:
H264 (all levels), VC1

Deinterlacing: Bob (copy rows, worse quality)

AMD can do the same on windows, but the UVD decoder is slower. Last Time we benchmarked, it needs at least 20ms in the DecodeImage Path, so with a lot of luck you can do 1080p50 with it. Linux support by AMD is not really great. We wait for and sdk update since a long time.

The best supported hardware within xbmc and vdpau is D2700 with GT520, as this is the hardware fernetmenta currently loves most :p

RE: Howto Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/ATI Radeon and Fusion GPUs - golddk - 2012-08-17

I have 3 HTPC with xbmc. 2 AMD e350 using this version (ppa:wsnipex/xbmc-xvba) and runs fine, but can i use this build on the ION2? or is there a better build for this ?

@golddk:
To answer your questions: Yes (not the eden version, but xbmc-xvba and xbmc-xvba-testing are fine)
and second one: No :-)

You have to do slightly different settings (enable vdpau, enable GL interop, enable temporal / spatial, also enable DTS-HD and TrueHD as the ion-2 supports it)

RE: Howto Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/ATI Radeon and Fusion GPUs - divingmule - 2012-08-17

I understand this my not be feasible, but any chance to add support for MythTV 0.25 -> http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=129021

Thanks!

RE: Howto Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/ATI Radeon and Fusion GPUs - wsnipex - 2012-08-17

if myth 0.25 gets pulled into Lars' PVR branch, we'll get it too.

(2012-08-17, 13:42)fritsch Wrote: @golddk:
To answer your questions: Yes (not the eden version, but xbmc-xvba and xbmc-xvba-testing are fine)
and second one: No :-)

You have to do slightly different settings (enable vdpau, enable GL interop, enable temporal / spatial, also enable DTS-HD and TrueHD as the ion-2 supports it)

Thx the ION2 running nice on xbmc-xvba. I have one problem i cant use DTS-HD and TrueHD. The problem is my Onkyo reciver hav a bug in EDID that is known. In windows 7 i solved the problem with a custom EDID-file - look http://www.avsforum.com/t/1227161/edid-overrides-to-solve-bitstreaming-issues-for-ati-5xxxs . Is there a solotion in linux to fix the problem ?

@golddk:
off topic. Please open a new thread upon the issue.

RE: Howto Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/ATI Radeon and Fusion GPUs - jaychamp - 2012-08-17

(2012-08-17, 10:45)wsnipex Wrote:
(2012-08-17, 06:31)jaychamp Wrote: Thank you for this how to, everything went pretty smooth and I have to just one question(so far)

How can I change to YCBCR 4:2:2? I looked through the aticonfig help but didn't find anything.

you can do that in amdcccle, but since xbmc is working with full RGB internally, its not recommended as its just double conversion.

Can amdcccle be opened from the command line? I've tried but just get errors that it can't be opened. Do I have to install something like gnome and open from that desktop?

I don't see a difference between RGB 444 and YCBCR 422, but my main reason for wanting to switch is more about an annoyance when switching between sources(Xbox, PS3, etc). With my set up I have to change my TV's HDMI mode every time I use a different source and come back to XBMC. It's a bit of a PIA if you know what I mean and when using YCBCR I don't have to change anything and the image looks just as good(I've used it with Windows and XBMCbuntu)

(2012-08-17, 11:40)fritsch Wrote: @golddk:
Same as 12.6. You do not need to backup and copy control file. It just works ™.

Basically:
stop lightdm
install with --buildandinstallpkg
reissue the aticonfig commands

reboot & fine :-)

Yep, I used your guide and it worked perfectly Smile It didn't help with my resume from suspend issue though Sad

RE: Howto Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/ATI Radeon and Fusion GPUs - wsnipex - 2012-08-18

amdcccle just needs X running. if you do it via ssh, you must export the display:
export DISPLAY=:0

RE: Howto Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/ATI Radeon and Fusion GPUs - kobik - 2012-08-18

Hey guys,
Was out for a while because I moved to OpenELEC (Still sticking to XVBA versions though Smile)
I have a problem on the OE XVBA latest experimental version (Frodo based).
XBMC crash whenever I enable LiveTV on the settings menu with XVDR.
I tried this on a clean XBMC profile with no luck and would greatly appreciate any help.
Thanks
http://pastebin.com/qnPS9BDd

RE: Howto Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/ATI Radeon and Fusion GPUs - fritsch - 2012-08-18

@kobik:
Your log indicates that you have both: vnsi and xvdr installed. Choose one of them. The Crash on startup was fixed for vnsi some month ago by fernetmenta and it is working :-)

Afaik xvdr is not officially (whatever that means) supported - never the less, we want "third party" addons to work flawlessly and have no intention to break them :p

Are you sure this is the right pastebin, you linked? I cannot see something obvious, but i am in a hurry right now - check that your OE computer is allowed to connect to xvdr (see the vdr config file).