Kodi Community Forum
XBMC's Piracy Stance: Draft - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Kodi related discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Thread: XBMC's Piracy Stance: Draft (/showthread.php?tid=117995)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29

RE: XBMC's Piracy Stance: Draft - natethomas - 2015-06-29

No problem. And I'd like to say I really enjoyed your giant phone. Wink

RE: XBMC's Piracy Stance: Draft - Monty205 - 2016-02-09

To Moderators and Administrators:

I’ve posted here in the “XBMC's Piracy Stance: Draft” forum since my member functionality is currently limited and I am not able to directly message a moderator or anyone else.

In my thread “Is This Accurate (Edited Version)” an edited version of the original “Is This Accurate” which was moved to “Garbage and Rule Violation” I personally moved from “I'm obviously missing a key element in using Kodi” to getting a better understanding of the actual intent of Kodi.

Over the last few years I had heard of Kodi but didn’t give it much thought until my grandson’s girlfriend sent me an email with two links to YouTube. I followed the step-by-step video instructions and got it working. This was good so I put together the draft message to send back to her what I did to get it working as noted in the “Is This Accurate” which was quickly followed by the edited version which left out any reference to add-ons.

So at his point as I noted in that edited posting “So if we eliminate using add-ons, what are the benifits in content and costs of using Kodi over what most people already have? Are there other legitimate suppliers available other than the regular cable companies?” Because in Atlantic Canada there are no other regular suppliers of legitimate content other than Shaw/Eastlink and Bell-Aliant. No Amazon, no Hulu, no etc. and you pay one of our local two cable/satellite companies to get HBO added. I think you can now see where my past experience with TV/movie suppliers is coming from.

This forum did mention one benefit of Kodi that I was unaware of that does make Kodi appealing – accessing and recording OTA. The cost of regular cable is expensive and I had thought many times of simply dumping it, however, as analog OTA broadcasting completely ceased in my area a few years ago, without being able to access the local 3 digital OTA channels there is no other TV access to any news and weather with just Netflix alone.

So, what is this post about? It’s my appeal to understand where I was coming from in my initial first 3 posts and getting back the remaining member functionality. I left the following post (copied below) on one thread and clicked Report, but nothing has changed so I can only assume “you have been banned from accessing this resource”.

I am sorry I contravened your forum rules. Since I am now aware of the intended use of Kodi and its ability and benefits to utilize and record the local OTA (something I can use), please reinstate my functionality.

“MODERATOR - Could you please check out my membership status. There are several member functions that are not working yet. (Like the delete post function, message reply function, etc.)

I get this:
You do not have permission to access this page. This could be because of one of the following reasons:

Your account has either been suspended or you have been banned from accessing this resource.
You do not have permission to access this page. Are you trying to access administrative pages or a resource that you shouldn't be? Check in the forum rules that you are allowed to perform this action.
Your account may still be awaiting activation or moderation. (Resend Activation Code)
You have accessed this page directly rather than using appropriate forms or link.

You are currently logged in with the username: 'Monty205'”

RE: XBMC's Piracy Stance: Draft - DarrenHill - 2016-02-09

Unfortunately most of the YouTube videos, and certainly at least one of the sites your binned post linked to are just peddling piracy, and as per our forum rules (wiki) they get binned as we don't want anything to do with them, and frankly would be happy if they all just got nuked from the net. But generally no further action is taken against a user who makes such posts unless they are doing it "deliberately" (as in trying to advertise such a practice) or they do it repeatedly in spite of being told not to (including reposting the same posts, even if they just do not mention by name the banned add-ons (wiki).

Kodi does have other uses, for example many people (including me) use it for playing their own local archive of films and TV shows, either DVD rips or similar content from PVRs. In this role it is very functional.

As for your account functionality, to the best of my knowledge it is not something that has been actively removed, either due to your actions (especially as your binned post was due to ignorance more than malice) or by any subsequent action from a moderator or anyone else. We moderators can't do anything in that regard, but I'll point one of the board admins to your post and ask him to take a look at your account and see if he can correct what may have gone wrong with it.

For general reference though, issues with either the forum software itself or with accounts should be posted to the Website and Forum Issues or Suggestions section as a new thread, where the admins here can pick them up and act on them.

RE: XBMC's Piracy Stance: Draft - Melgas - 2016-02-09

«»
Hello, "natethomas"
Chief and Kodi Project Manager.

Thanks for the message and the warning. Very important.
Especially for me that I am a beginner.
Sorry for the inconvenience. I have KODI 16RC3, installed a Z64 with Minix (Windows 10).

This was my last post for spam. Please verify that violates Board policy and I will correct:
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=259309

I need your help and want to collaborate.
Thank you.
Hugs.
«»

Allow me to save Nate the effort.

Why not just read the forum rules (wiki), especially the part about piracy and banned add-ons (wiki)?

You're talking about the crappiest piece of pirate junk add-on that I know of, and most certainly should be in the bin. We do not condone or support piracy here, and any such post relating to such add-ons or help requests for installations contaminated with them will end up getting trashed.

Our rules are fairly simple, and everyone who wants to use this board and get support here must obey them. If you want support on such crap, go ask wherever you got it from and let the people who made the mess (and who drag the Kodi name and brand through the mud, and cause things like us getting removed from the Amazon Appstore as a result) clean it up.

(2016-02-09, 13:48)DarrenHill Wrote: Allow me to save Nate the effort.

Why not just read the forum rules (wiki), especially the part about piracy and banned add-ons (wiki)?

You're talking about the crappiest piece of pirate junk add-on that I know of, and most certainly should be in the bin. We do not condone or support piracy here, and any such post relating to such add-ons or help requests for installations contaminated with them will end up getting trashed.

Our rules are fairly simple, and everyone who wants to use this board and get support here must obey them. If you want support on such crap, go ask wherever you got it from and let the people who made the mess (and who drag the Kodi name and brand through the mud, and cause things like us getting removed from the Amazon Appstore as a result) clean it up.

«»
Hello, "Darren Hill"
Super Moderator

Excuse all my ignorance.
I am a beginner, I am taking the first steps with KODI.

I want to keep clean and free of contamination KODI.
There is a lot of garbage that are using this excellent program - KODI - and soiling his name. I do not want to contribute to it. I now comprising.

Sorry for all the inconvenience. Please delete my post.

Thanks a lot for the help.
Hugs.
«»

No problem, you have to start somewhere Smile

I would suggest to read through the rules, and also the first time user (wiki) documentation on the wiki as those will give you a good basis for this kind of thing. But generally (as with most things in life), if an add-on is offering you something for free that you would normally have to pay to access or receive, then you can be sure that there's a catch somewhere and that it is not legal or legitimate.

(2016-02-09, 15:17)DarrenHill Wrote: No problem, you have to start somewhere Smile

I would suggest to read through the rules, and also the first time user (wiki) documentation on the wiki as those will give you a good basis for this kind of thing. But generally (as with most things in life), if an add-on is offering you something for free that you would normally have to pay to access or receive, then you can be sure that there's a catch somewhere and that it is not legal or legitimate.

«»
Hello, "Darren Hill"
Super Moderator

I am very grateful for the understanding and support.

Thank you.
Hugs.
«»

XBMC's Piracy Stance: Draft - Memphiz - 2016-02-09

really curious how you would address me in a post Big Grin

(2016-02-09, 20:00)Memphiz Wrote: really curious how you would address me in a post Big Grin

«»
Hello, "Memphis"
Non-Serving Developer

I would you is fine.
I am educated and I like to learn. I do not offend, I like to talk to solve my problems.

Thank you for your attention.
Hugs.
«»

RE: XBMC's Piracy Stance: Draft - cd2022 - 2016-02-11

It's Memphiz.

Thank you for your attention.

RE: XBMC's Piracy Stance: Draft - A-Swiss - 2016-02-15

Could we please open a Thread, where we (or me) could post the findings.Huh
Just as a question:
Is this OK or not?
https://www.ricardo.ch/kaufen/audio-tv-und-video/sat-systeme-und-paytv/sonstiges/iptv-box-android/v/an805591810/
Ricardo is like EBAY, but only in Switzerland. Searching for KODI, a lot of those reselling boxes show up - in the category SAT-Systems & PayTV.
Let me know, where tu put... Let's start to clean up the situation.

RE: XBMC's Piracy Stance: Draft - discocandy - 2016-02-15

As a very happy user of Kodi I fully understand the point Kodi needs to take. I cannot imagine how much effort the devs and developers take to deliver us this software.
Needing to take a stand against people who effortless try to earn money over their work causing Kodi to run into trouble is sad but actually a good thing.
While taking a stand against illigal content without banning it to side load trough 3th party repo's keeps this play software alive. (I think even if they would bann sideloading repo's it still would be awesome software to use)
If not it is a question of time before the software would have been banned.
Taking a stand against misusing their brand name is the easy way to show they are NOT responsible for illigal content and THEY will not give support on it.

Look at facebook.
I am a member on a dosen of sites related to KODI. 95% of the messages are about "what repo is best to see ..... movie?. What repo is best to see sport from ...tv from NOOBS who do not even know where to find the wifi button on their box or stick.

They needed to take a stand and I support it.

RE: XBMC's Piracy Stance: Draft - Soulkeeper - 2016-05-07

Ok I'm so confused I don't really no all about this and I don't sell them because I'm afraid of getting in trouble I just made a few for my mom and some family as gifts ecause I found it on YouTube, and I had an issue and wrote it down but it got deleted.
I justhink put tvmc on firesticks and I don't know if that's aloud or not any pointers or what I should be using instead

RE: XBMC's Piracy Stance: Draft - DarrenHill - 2016-05-08

OK let's get this sorted out once and for all.

Kodi is just a media player, which has 3rd party add-ons available for it, written by other people (plus some written by team members, but that's not my focus here) and not supplied or approved by us. Some of these 3rd party add-ons make use of sources that are pirated material, not approved by the media's copyright owners and basically ripped off and stolen. The add-ons and builds you seem to want to use fall into that category.

Our forum rules (wiki) are that we do not support such usage as it drags the Kodi brand through the mud and gives us association to people and actions that we do not want. All we want is people to be clear about what is ours and what is 3rd party, and to make informed choices based on correct information about what they may be getting into.

If you wish to use such junk that is entirely up to you, but if you do you will get no support here in doing so, and any thread discussing the banned add-ons (wiki) or any evidence of such add-ons in any supplied debug log (wiki) will get the thread binned.

Those piracy add-ons tend to cause all sorts of issues due to how they are written and the short lived nature of the sources they use. Plus there are other security issues with some of them which could lead to more serious malware and other issues, again both due to how they are written and the sources they use.

If you're dumb or greedy enough to use them then that's up to you, but don't come crying to us if things go wrong or things break.

I hope that makes things clearer and you can stop violating the rules here with your posts. Mention of the banned add-on (wiki) in your above post could have got it binned, but I want things clear so wanted to explain in detail instead.