Kodi Community Forum
ATV2 Constantly Buffering/Stuttering/Crashing - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: iOS & tvOS (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=137)
+---- Thread: ATV2 Constantly Buffering/Stuttering/Crashing (/showthread.php?tid=118910)

Pages: 1 2 3

ATV2 Constantly Buffering/Stuttering/Crashing - sohels - 2012-01-06

Hello,

I was using 4.4.3 with several nightly builds before with no problems. Yesterday I upgraded to 4.4.4 and Eden Beta and have been experiencing random crashes and constant stuttering/buffering, audio drop outs and very variable frame rates that frequently fall into single digits.

Here is the info:
Platform - Apple TV 2
Ethernet - connected to Belkin N750 router.
Source files stored on Buffalo LinkStation Live 3TB NAS, and some on a 500GB external drive attached via USB to the router.
Connect using smb; experimented with afp and upnp but experienced same problems.
Version of iOS/ATV - 5.0.1/4.4.4 (3330)
XBMC build version and date compiled - 11.0-BETA1 Git:20111222-22ad8e4 (Dec 24 2011)
Install method - As described in xbmc wiki (Cydia method)
xbmc.log
syslog
crashreporter is not there!
mediainfo 1
mediainfo 2
mediainfo 3
All three of these files played perfectly prior to upgrade.

- tatoosh - 2012-01-06

I habe also so much buffering issues with 4.4.4 and xbmc Eden tested with SMB and NFS Sad

- dopechess - 2012-01-06

i have the same issues. Sept 19th nightly build works wonderfully. Too bad I updated to Eden. Now I can't watch 720p or 1080p MKVs.

XBMC is great when it works. otherwise, i might have to think about switching to something else at this point since the development is so erratic and hit/miss.

anyone have the Sept 19th nightly?

- Memphiz - 2012-01-06

dopechess Wrote:i have the same issues. Sept 19th nightly build works wonderfully. Too bad I updated to Eden. Now I can't watch 720p or 1080p MKVs.

XBMC is great when it works. otherwise, i might have to think about switching to something else at this point since the development is so erratic and hit/miss.

Let me know when you found something better. I want to change projects as well. A.K.A. - i will follow your decision - try to become a member of whatever project you might want to use in the future and then add regressions to it at my best.

howdy...

- jabba_29 - 2012-01-06

^^ lol.

I have actually noticed a marked improvement with 720p streaming across my network.
September 19th was a good build, I had that for quite a while. Subsequently I had a early December build that wasn't too hot, then the last nightly before the beta which was better.

Beta1 is working very well for me.

- g-off - 2012-01-06

dopechess Wrote:i have the same issues. Sept 19th nightly build works wonderfully. Too bad I updated to Eden. Now I can't watch 720p or 1080p MKVs.

Why don't you just buy the films from apple and play them from frontrow?
You did buy the atv2 from them with only that capability.

- tatoosh - 2012-01-06

It's not a buying question.
I have my own recorded holiday movies encoded to mkv container format, also my HDready recordings from german Televison (n-tv, n24) are compressed and the on the mkv container.

here i found a german mirror: http://mirror.netcologne.de/xbmc/nightlies/darwin/atv2

havn't try it

- sohels - 2012-01-06

I did a reboot last night via ssh in Mac terminal and something just 'clicked' - flawless playback once again! I'm pretty sure I didn't change any settings - it may still be worth investigating info in my first post to isolate the problem.

- jd2157 - 2012-01-06

sohels Wrote:I did a reboot last night via ssh in Mac terminal and something just 'clicked' - flawless playback once again! I'm pretty sure I didn't change any settings - it may still be worth investigating info in my first post to isolate the problem.

Is your atv2 on WiFi or Ethernet?

- Rictor - 2012-01-06

Hi everyone.

I seem to have exactly the same problem as the OP. Same versions, builds, platform and install method.

I never had a previous version so I don't know if it would've worked on Sept 19th nightly build.

My files are ATV default handbrake encoded mv4's. I have a QNAP NAS running an SMB network share, all wired via ethernet. I have tried the same share via XBMC on my laptop wirelessly (albeit running dharma 10.1 on laptop) and it works great. I have also tried streaming the same files to ATV2 frontend wirelessly via iTunes and that also works.

@sohels, using SSH, how did you reboot and did you have to do a tethered boot again?

Is it possible to uninstall XBMC and try an earlier version?

Anybody else got any suggestions? Should I post a log?

Sorry for all the questions! Thanks for the support!

- sohels - 2012-01-06

jd2157 Wrote:Is your atv2 on WiFi or Ethernet?

Ethernet - connected to Belkin N750 router.

- sohels - 2012-01-07

Rictor Wrote:@sohels, using SSH, how did you reboot and did you have to do a tethered boot again?

Open terminal (on a Mac) and type the following commands:
Code:
ssh [email protected]
(default password is alpine)

reboot

I performed the untethered jailbreak using the latest version of Seas0nPass, so no I did not have to do a tethered boot.

One potential issue I could think of when using the Cydia method is that I had to enter the 'apt-get update' command a couple of times to get rid of the duplicate list warning. I originally proceeded without doing so, and the Apple TV would hang on the home screen with the Apple logo, or would display a blank blue screen and would not boot correctly. I then restored it again using Seas0nPass and iTunes, getting rid of the warnings this time, and then observed the problems described in my first post. After quitting and launching xbmc a number of times and also rebooting the Apple TV a couple of times, it just started working well.

If any of the Devs need any more info, I'd be happy to provide it.

- Rictor - 2012-01-07

sohels Wrote:I performed the untethered jailbreak using the latest version of Seas0nPass, so no I did not have to do a tethered boot

Thanks for the reply. I think I'll try restoring atv to factory settings, re-jailbreak using the new untethered Seas0nPass release and try xbmc again.

sohels Wrote:One potential issue I could think of when using the Cydia method is that I had to enter the 'apt-get update' command a couple of times to get rid of the duplicate list warning. I originally proceeded without doing so, and the Apple TV would hang on the home screen with the Apple logo, or would display a blank blue screen and would not boot correctly. I then restored it again using Seas0nPass and iTunes, getting rid of the warnings this time, and then observed the problems described in my first post. After quitting and launching xbmc a number of times and also rebooting the Apple TV a couple of times, it just started working well.

I seem to remember I also had some warning msgs when installing xbmc for the first time but I don't think it was the duplicate list errors.

I'll let you know how I get on!

Buffering & Stuttering Atv2 / xbmc - davidpmiller - 2012-01-07

Hi All,

I am also experiencing significant problems with buffering and stuttering when watching movies via xbmc on atv2 ( Eden and 4.4.4)

Initially, I used Smb shares to a Windows 7 machine, then a HP Media Vault both with the same results. Following some threads I then used a upnp server, namely serviio which improved maters slightly - however I lost the ability to look up metadata within xbmc. I have also tried NFS shares, Twonky and WMP.

I have tried hard wired and wireless with all the above. In addition I have tried many varied ways of ripping DVDs with winxdvd - but alas no joy - the stuttering still continues.

Previously, I used old xboxes to run xbmc and experienced no issues.

I can also stream from iTunes to native atv2 with no issues.

I have used ssh to reboot and also restored and started from scratch but again no luck.

Any assistance would be appreciated - also please let me low if you need any more info on the techniques I have tried.

Thanks

- sohels - 2012-01-07

Update: File 1 does not play smoothly anymore.