Kodi Community Forum
[WINDOWS][PATCH]Bitstream output of HD audio formats - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Development (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=32)
+--- Forum: Kodi Application (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=93)
+--- Thread: [WINDOWS][PATCH]Bitstream output of HD audio formats (/showthread.php?tid=121877)

- watanave - 2012-02-20

Hola,

Thanks for your answers.

@DDDamian:

I've not done that, only checking that the receiver is handling the audio and not the TV.

I'll try that tonigth. I'm at work.

@bluray:

I tried that too. No sound with a sample DTSHD Master trailer.

I think my TV is the cause of the problems, because sometimes don´t recognize HDMI inputs, like a PS3. I have to turn the TV off and turn off the source and then turn the source on and the TV after.

Maybe a fresh install?

I've read all about the issue. I'm tired. I could not enjoy XBMC "HD Audio"

Gracias.

- bluray - 2012-02-20

watanave Wrote:@bluray:

I tried that too. No sound with a sample DTSHD Master trailer.
It's not XBMC issue then. The proplem is within your HTPC and AVR. If you haven't update the graphic driver, you might want to do that or a fresh re-install of the driver. Your HTPC have to recognize your AVR for it to work.

watanave Wrote:I think my TV is the cause of the problems, because sometimes don´t recognize HDMI inputs, like a PS3. I have to turn the TV off and turn off the source and then turn the source on and the TV after.

Gracias.
If you installed your system this way (HTPC-->AVR-->HDTV via HDMI cables), your HDTV shouldn't have anything to do with sound. Without HDTV, you still can bitstream and hear the sound!

- voip-ninja - 2012-02-20

bluray Wrote:It's not XBMC issue then. The proplem is within your HTPC and AVR. If you haven't update the graphic driver, you might want to do that or a fresh re-install of the driver. Your HTPC have to recognize your AVR for it to work.

If you installed your system this way (HTPC-->AVR-->HDTV via HDMI cables), your HDTV shouldn't have anything to do with sound. Without HDTV, you still can bitstream and hear the sound!

Bluray, that's not correct. The way that HDCP and EDID work with HDMI, every single device in the HDMI chain is involved in the handshake... so the display can in fact influence the capabilities that get negotiated by the HTPC when it connects and establishes over HDMI with the other devices.

- watanave - 2012-02-20

@blueray,

My connections are HTPC --> AVR --> TV and all are HDMI. I'm fighting with it since december. Reinstalled drivers, EDID override, change cables, Etc. and unexpectly HD audio (TrueHD, MLP and DTSHD) works only when my TV is OFF. I'm even thinking connecting my TV with VGA, but that is not the idea.

Now I'm using the HTPC with a monitor to listen some MLP's and I change displays to watch series or movies but only simple PCM, Dolby Digital or DTS.

I know this is not a thread to discuss this subject but the Patch from DanielaE. Anyway, Thanks.

Adiós.

- bluray - 2012-02-20

voip-ninja Wrote:Bluray, that's not correct. The way that HDCP and EDID work with HDMI, every single device in the HDMI chain is involved in the handshake... so the display can in fact influence the capabilities that get negotiated by the HTPC when it connects and establishes over HDMI with the other devices.
Since HDTV is at the output side of AVR and running on a separate HDMI cable, I'm not sure why it should cause audio problem.

-HTPC-->AVR-->HDTV via HDMI cables- I don't see how HDTV can cause audio problem between HTPC and AVR. This is how it should be connected to get the best sound and video. If there is an option, it is recommended to set video to pass-thru too.

-HTPC-->HDTV-->AVR via HDMI cable- I can see that HDTV handshake problem can cause audio problem.

While watching BD movie in my system and my wife auncle system (I setup for him), I can turn off HDTV and it still bitstreaming fine. The movie still playing with normal audio HDTV off!

- voip-ninja - 2012-02-20

bluray Wrote:Since HDTV is at the output side of AVR and running on a separate HDMI cable, I'm not sure why it should cause handshake problem.

-HTPC-->AVR-->HDTV via HDMI cables- I don't see how HDTV can cause audio problem between HTPC and AVR. This is how it should be connected to get the best sound and video. If there is an option, it is recommended to set video to pass-thru too.

-HTPC-->HDTV-->AVR via HDMI cable- I can see that HDTV handshake problem can cause audio problem.

While watching BD movie in my system and my wife auncle system (I setup for him), I can turn off HDTV and it still bitstreaming fine. The movie still playing with normal audio without HDTV off!

That's because all of the handshaking is already done (disconnecting a device after the HDCP chain has been established has no effect on anything). If you put a TV that causes EDID capabilities problems, handshake issues, etc, into the HMDI chain, then at the time the negotiations happen the TV can mess things up, for lack of a better term.

- bluray - 2012-02-20

watanave Wrote:@blueray,

My connections are HTPC --> AVR --> TV and all are HDMI. I'm fighting with it since december. Reinstalled drivers, EDID override, change cables, Etc. and unexpectly HD audio (TrueHD, MLP and DTSHD) works only when my TV is OFF. I'm even thinking connecting my TV with VGA, but that is not the idea.

Now I'm using the HTPC with a monitor to listen some MLP's and I change displays to watch series or movies but only simple PCM, Dolby Digital or DTS.

I know this is not a thread to discuss this subject but the Patch from DanielaE. Anyway, Thanks.

Adiós.
Is your AVR set to pass-thru video? If it is, you should still get both audio and video on HDTV when AVR is off.

- watanave - 2012-02-20

blueray,

Yes, my AVR is in pass-thru video mode forced to hdmi1 where the HTPC is connected, and when the AVR is OFF, I can use the HTPC with no problems and listening to the TV.

The problem is when the three (HTPC, AVR and TV) are in chain. The HDMI properties change and no DTSHD, TrueHD, Etc.

- pabloh20 - 2012-02-20

bluray Wrote:Since HDTV is at the output side of AVR and running on a separate HDMI cable, I'm not sure why it should cause audio problem.

While watching BD movie in my system and my wife auncle system (I setup for him), I can turn off HDTV and it still bitstreaming fine. The movie still playing with normal audio HDTV off!
It can cause issues, as the Denon amps (I don't know about any others, as I have a Denon amp myself) have hdmi control, as DDDamian said.

For me it was actually when I got a new TV, I could only get stereo sound from my PS3, whereas before it was lpcm and it just wouldn't recognise anything other than stereo in the setup. After a bit of head scratching and testing other sources, I turned off hdmi control and everything went back to normal. The only thing that had changed was the TV, from a Sammy lcd to a Panasonic plasma and hdmi control worked fine before, no issues whatsoever, but obviously how the panny hdmi interacted with hdmi control on the amp was different.

- bluray - 2012-02-20

watanave Wrote:blueray,

Yes, my AVR is in pass-thru video mode forced to hdmi1 where the HTPC is connected, and when the AVR is OFF, I can use the HTPC with no problems and listening to the TV.

The problem is when the three (HTPC, AVR and TV) are in chain. The HDMI properties change and no DTSHD, TrueHD, Etc.
It's something new to me then. I installed several systems reasonly, and I never encounter this issue. I connected all type of HDTV's/monitors (DLP, LCD/LED and Plasma) to AVR's, and I never have this issue.

If that is the case, do you have another HDTV or monitor with HDMI input to try it to see if the problem go away!

- watanave - 2012-02-20

bluray,

I'm going to try with a TV with HDMI, I don't have another, but I know somebody who can help me with other TV. I'll try tonight.

Also, I'm going to try turning HDMI Control Off in the AVR.

Thank you, for your help.

Muchas Gracias...

- bluray - 2012-02-20

watanave Wrote:bluray,

I'm going to try with a TV with HDMI, I don't have another, but I know somebody who can help me with other TV. I'll try tonight.

Also, I'm going to try turning HDMI Control Off in the AVR.

Thank you, for your help.

Muchas Gracias...
If you need more information on your Denon "HDMI Control", you can check pages 71 and 106 of your owner manual. I hope that you can get it to work with XBMC patches!

- htpc guy - 2012-02-20

I'll add something to this dispute. Not really more insight into the particular issue, but proof that if there is a problem with anything connected to the AVR then very strange things can happen.

I recently purchased the Onkyo Receiver in my signature and learned the hard way that crazy things can happen with the EDID Handshake.

Everything connects to my receiver via HDMI (HTPC, UVerse Box, BluRay Player, XBox360) and then I run one HDMI to the TV. Pretty standard setup.

Anyway, a few weeks back I ran into a strange issue. I have a Harmony Remote. I choose the XBMC activity when the tv is off. This turns the tv, avr, and sets the avr to the correct input. I had a definite handshake issue. It tried to bring up XBMC and I was getting a black screen that would alternate to static and back to a black screen and repeated. I tried to switch to UVerse and it did the same thing there. Switched to the bluray player...same thing. Very strange. Pressed power on the Harmony, which shuts everything off, and tried again. Same thing happened. Alternating black screen and static.

The UVerse box that was the problem. It had locked up. As soon as I rebooted it then everything else would work. Its crazy to me that my Uverse box being locked up could cause everything else to not work.

Just thought I would add that to the discussion.

- DDDamian - 2012-02-20

Voip-ninja is correct - hand-shaking takes place along the chain. Let's hope disabling HDMI control in the Denon solves his issue. It is disabled on my Denon amp but of course my TV is different.

Hope we hear back positive results.

- bluray - 2012-02-20

DDDamian Wrote:Voip-ninja is correct - hand-shaking takes place along the chain. Let's hope disabling HDMI control in the Denon solves his issue. It is disabled on my Denon amp but of course my TV is different.

Hope we hear back positive results.
Isn't HDMI control function is default to off? When I setup my wife uncle AVR-790, HDMI control function was disabled. Since it work fine with it disabled, I left it disabled and it'll use less power too! Smile