Kodi Community Forum
[ARCHIVED - WON'T UPDATE] XSqueeze - Squeezebox player for XBMC - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Add-on Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Program Add-ons (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=151)
+---- Thread: [ARCHIVED - WON'T UPDATE] XSqueeze - Squeezebox player for XBMC (/showthread.php?tid=122199)

RE: [RELEASE]XSqueeze - Squeezebox player, music chooser and visualiser for XBMC - bossanova808 - 2013-04-17

yeah that is a little crazy. I am more inclined to think some sort of transient network glitch than anything else. Are you sure artistslideshow has actually been deleted off the disk?

But basically there is one thread that runs the AS stuff (which, if it can't do it, will just fall through to an exception and give up) - and then just a little test at exit - but that exit thing should hang if it can't find artist slideshow...so that really doesn't make sense to me.

RE: [RELEASE]XSqueeze - Squeezebox player, music chooser and visualiser for XBMC - moddingtom - 2013-04-17

(2013-04-17, 04:31)bossanova808 Wrote: hmmm is xbmc on the pi running json? If so it might be blocking the port 9090. So you could change that port instead.

I don't really know the pi folder structure which will depend on your distro but I am sure if you poke in the distro forums it will become clear where the addons live...somewhere in the userdata folder, basically.

I have no idea if xbmc on the Pi is running json - I'm only a user so don't know the ins and outs of it unfortunately.

I've tried searching for the files on the SD card and can't find it, so I really am stuck. Looks like I won't be able to use this plugin.

By the way, I've installed Squeezeplug (a dedicated squeezeplayer distro on the Pi) onto another SD card and run it on my Pi. Once Squeezeplug was installed, it connected to my LMS server straight away and I was able to stream to it. FYI Squeezeplug can be found here:
http://www.squeezeplug.eu/

So it looks like there is something inherent within either raspbmc or this plugin which is preventing the add-on from working. Sad

RE: [RELEASE]XSqueeze - Squeezebox player, music chooser and visualiser for XBMC - bossanova808 - 2013-04-18

JSON is what xbmc uses for it's external interface - two seconds of google gives:

HTTP: In System/Settings/Network/Services activate Allow control of XBMC via HTTP (see Enabling the webserver)
TCP: In System/Settings/Network/Services activate Allow programs on this system to control XBMC for localhost access only and Allow programs on other systems to control XBMC for access from other computers as well

...so if you've done either of those things, XBMC may well be blocking port 9090. Although I don't think that's your issue actually, see below.

The connection stuff in the addon is two things:
PYLMS - uses a very basic telnet interface (to that port)
and
Squeezeslave/Squeezelite - both used be scores of people (including on the Pi, in squeezeplug as well)....

Both are thoroughly tested and very standard ways of making a connection.

I had it working just fine on the Pi a few weeks ago, so honestly I think the problem is at your end somehow.

Another 2 seconds of Google gives:

Q: Where is XBMC user data stored?

A: XBMC userdata is stored in /home/pi/.xbmc/

(with addons apparently being in .xbmc/addons)

Hell, from your own log file : Attempting to start player: ['/home/pi/.xbmc/addons/script.xsqueeze/resources/bin/arm/squeezeslave', '-mcc:5d:4e:ca:12:8f', '192.168.0.200']

...gives you the whole path on a platter!

(So really, please do a bit of basic google research even if you're 'just a user' - I'm happy to help, but I have limited time).

Note - looking again at the logabove - what on earth is that MAC address? You have asked for local playback, but it looks like you have put in the MAC address of a real player or maybe the Pi itself or something? This is probably your error. If you want local playback, just leave in the dummy MAC of 00:00:00:00:00:02 or similar. If you want to control an external player, then you must disable the local playback option.

RE: [RELEASE]XSqueeze - Squeezebox player, music chooser and visualiser for XBMC - moddingtom - 2013-04-18

Thanks for your assistance with this, it's much appreciated.

Quote:Another 2 seconds of Google gives:

Q: Where is XBMC user data stored?

A: XBMC userdata is stored in /home/pi/.xbmc/

(with addons apparently being in .xbmc/addons)

Thanks for the guidance.The reason I could not see the files was that the .xbmc folder is obviously hidden.

Quote:Hell, from your own log file : Attempting to start player: ['/home/pi/.xbmc/addons/script.xsqueeze/resources/bin/arm/squeezeslave', '-mcc:5d:4e:ca:12:8f', '192.168.0.200' ...gives you the whole path on a platter!

Yeah, I'd obviously missed that, considering it was on line line 962 of a 1275 line logfile. I'll try and look harder next time.

Quote:(So really, please do a bit of basic google research even if you're 'just a user' - I'm happy to help, but I have limited time).
Don't get me wrong, I really appreciate all you help with this - apologies if you thought otherwise.

Quote:Note - looking again at the logabove - what on earth is that MAC address? You have asked for local playback, but it looks like you have put in the MAC address of a real player or maybe the Pi itself or something? This is probably your error. If you want local playback, just leave in the dummy MAC of 00:00:00:00:00:02 or similar. If you want to control an external player, then you must disable the local playback option.
That MAC address was the address of my LMS server. I'd tried to put this in to see if the add-on would point to the server using this setting, but it didn't work. Looks like I forgot to reset it before I captured the log. I have also tried the default entry as well (ending in :01) and the result is the same.

Following your great advice about running from the commend line, and now I know where to look for the executable, I have managed to ssh into the pi and run the command.
When I run the squeezeslave command with no switches, it errors as it's trying to connect to localhost. However, when I re-run the command with the IP address of the LMS server, it connects OK (yay). So I'm assuming that there is an issue of the IP address entered into the add-on not getting passed onto the command line. I have taken a look at the config files within the add-on folder structure and replaced "localhost" with my LMS Server IP address, but the add-on still doesn't work.

So I guess the question now is, where does the add-on keep its configuration? i.e., when squeezeslave starts, where does it look for the IP address to connect to? If I can find where the config file is located, maybe I can change the settings in it to force the add-on to look at the specific IP address?

Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

RE: [RELEASE]XSqueeze - Squeezebox player, music chooser and visualiser for XBMC - bossanova808 - 2013-04-19

If squeezeslave works from the command line, then your are configuring the add on wrongly, for sure. Put in all your settings very carefully and hit ok (NOT back - tht's an XBMC trap - ti does not save your changes unless you hit the OK at the bottom!).

Just put in the vanilla MAC, the IP address of your server and it will work. Honestly, there are lots of people doing exactly this, but I think you've confused yourself with settings and have not been trying just the basic correct settings, maybe inadvertently not saving them (they live in an xml file in addon_data in your userdata folder if you really want to mess directly with them, but you really don't need to), or a typo or something.

The only other issue is if you haven't enabled also, in which case the player won't start. But given you can run fromt he command line, you should be ok.

RE: [RELEASE]XSqueeze - Squeezebox player, music chooser and visualiser for XBMC - moddingtom - 2013-04-19

HI
Thanks for the continuing support

I have totally reinstalled raspbmc and added the xsqueeze add-on. I then followed your instructions above to add the IP address of the server. I have also left the MAC address as 00.00.00.00.00.01 as instructed. I have also selected OK instead of back.
When I did this I noticed an error message stating an error running "xscript.squeeze" and a black window appears on the screen (nothing else happens). When I close the window and return to the menu, I then launch xsqueeze and get the same error message as before (can't connect to server).
To me it looks like there is an issue where the originally entered IP address of my LMS isn't getting written to the config. When I ssh into the pi and run "squeezeslave" I get an error:
Code:
Connection to Squeezebox Server 127.0.0.1 failed.

When I run "squeezeslave -D 192.168.0.100" it runs OK and I can see the pi from my squeeze remote.

So I think that I need to look for the config file that tells xsqueeze where to look and see if I can hard code the IP address into it.

Again, thanks for your help with this.

RE: [RELEASE]XSqueeze - Squeezebox player, music chooser and visualiser for XBMC - Uhrheber - 2013-04-19

Openelec 3.0.1 on Raspi.

Here my xbmc.log:
http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=12888

There's something wrong with squeezeligt, but I don't understand the log entries.

Hm, when i try to start squeezelight manually, I get:
./squeezelite: error while loading shared libraries: libasound.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Alsa problem?

RE: [RELEASE]XSqueeze - Squeezebox player, music chooser and visualiser for XBMC - Uhrheber - 2013-04-19

Ok, I got it working.
The thing is, the snd-bcm2835 driver is not available in Openelec, nor is alsa itself.
I installed raspbmc instead, installed XSqueeze, and got the same error.
Then I loaded snd-bcm2835, and everything ran fine.

Bossanova808, thanks for this great plugin, thanks for your help, and for all the time you invest in this.

RE: [RELEASE]XSqueeze - Squeezebox player, music chooser and visualiser for XBMC - jimothy78 - 2013-04-20

(2013-04-15, 02:23)bossanova808 Wrote: Sorry - was away a few days. School holidays are over now so I am getting back to normal.

./squeezeslave - you need the ./ in front of it as the local directory is not in your PATH by default on unix.

For the rest - I am happy to have a look, but only if you upload a *full debug log* to xbmclogs or pastebin.

Also - ***** make sure you have followed the wiki and done the modprobe thing successfully to have alsa running - which is where I suspect maybe you have all gone wrong so far. I can see the errors that result from not havinh done this in some of the logs above.

Please go to the wiki, follow the advice here, try again, and report back with a full debug log if you're still having issues.

Thanks!

Hi there,
Many thanks for the reply. I've followed the wiki many times and still end up with the same error. I thought the log I had posted was the full debug log. I don't know how to get any more. Modprobe? Alsa? I'm afraid the learning curve is way too steep for me. Where do I put the ./squeezeslave? Why doesn't squeezeslave run from the cli? Why soooo hard Sad
Oh well...

[RELEASE]XSqueeze - Squeezebox player, music chooser and visualiser for XBMC - bossanova808 - 2013-04-20

@Uhrheber Glad you got it going

@jimothy78 You haven't followed wiki if you don't know the modprobe reference. It's not really that hard but yeah seems like its not suited for you.

@moddingtom in my message above it says where config file lives

RE: [RELEASE]XSqueeze - Squeezebox player, music chooser and visualiser for XBMC - bossanova808 - 2013-04-23

Given there have been no actual bug reports for a while, I am releasing V1.0.0 of XSqueeze.

(This includes the latest squeezelite 1.1 version)

RE: [RELEASE]XSqueeze - Squeezebox player, music chooser and visualiser for XBMC - Uhrheber - 2013-04-24

Squeezelite 1.1 seems to run much better than the previous version.
I previously had the problem, that sometimes the current audiostream kept running, when I changed to a new one.
With 1.1 the problem seems to be gone.

Another thing is that, when changing a song, XSqueeze sometimes needs a very long time to change to the new song name and album art. Also the fanart of the old song remains for a long time (sometimes up to a minute).
This doesn't seem to be related to the computing power of the host, as it happens also on my Linux notebook.
Maybe it's a problem of the network performance.

RE: [RELEASE]XSqueeze - Squeezebox player, music chooser and visualiser for XBMC - bossanova808 - 2013-04-25

artist slideshow is a bit notorious for the slow update side of things.

That said, on my Windows PC here, and my Shuttle XS35, my ancient mac mini etc etc, the updates are more like 15 seconds at most (for the slideshow/bio stuff) - and the song timer/name is all near instant.

Might want to look at your network maybe?

RE: [RELEASE]XSqueeze - Squeezebox player, music chooser and visualiser for XBMC - Uhrheber - 2013-04-25

Well, I don't think it is a network problem, because:

When I use a Squeezebox remote control app for Android (Squeezer), the following things happen:

- when I change/start a song, playing starts/changes nearly immediately. Also Squeezer shows song informations and artwork very fast. XSqueeze needs sometimes half a minute to update the song informations, and even longer for the slideshow. Often the old pictures keep changing for a while.

- when I change from a song to a radio channel, sometines the slideshow from the song keeps playing.

- when playing a radio channel, song/station informations are shown in Squeezer, but not in XSqueeze.

This happens on the Raspi, on an X10 Android box it is even worse, on a Linux Notebook (Intel dual core) it is faster, but not really good.

RE: [RELEASE]XSqueeze - Squeezebox player, music chooser and visualiser for XBMC - Uhrheber - 2013-04-25

A different question:

How do I start XSqueeze automatically?

I tried via autoexec.py, but I get a script error.
I used:

import xbmc
xbmc.executebuiltin('RunAddon(script.xsqueeze)')

Forget my previous question, I must have made a typo before, because I works now with the script I wrote above.