Kodi Community Forum
Release Artist Slideshow addon (with skin and addon integration) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Add-on Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Program Add-ons (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=151)
+---- Thread: Release Artist Slideshow addon (with skin and addon integration) (/showthread.php?tid=124880)

RE: [RELEASE] Artist Slideshow 1.3.0 addon (with skin and addon integration) - bitnumus - 2017-01-23

(2017-01-22, 20:30)pkscout Wrote:
(2017-01-22, 16:47)bitnumus Wrote: @pkskout I still can't get the plugin to show in the visualisations menu, so i can't enable it (its now disappeared)

I'm getting logs like this over and over for most artists, maybe its related?

http://pastebin.com/2BPNWbjf

In fact all it does it report this log every second, it creates the folder in /Artistinformation/ but doesn't put anything in there (the .nfo files), what am i missing? Also i'm seeing this:

After a fresh removal and install and restart this is how it runs:

http://pastebin.com/wmEbshhf

I decide to rule out the musicbrainz log by running picard and tagging an album, now its showing this in a loop:

15:41:27.973 T:140125685188352 DEBUG: [Artist Slideshow] starting with the following artists
15:41:27.973 T:140125685188352 DEBUG: [Artist Slideshow] [u'Chris Brown']
15:41:27.974 T:140125685188352 DEBUG: [Artist Slideshow] disable multi artist is set to false
15:41:27.974 T:140125685188352 DEBUG: [Artist Slideshow] left with
15:41:27.974 T:140125685188352 DEBUG: [Artist Slideshow] [u'Chris Brown']
15:41:27.976 T:140125685188352 DEBUG: [Artist Slideshow] checking for /storage/.kodi/userdata/addon_data/script.artistslideshow/ArtistInformation/42b84ed6/
15:41:27.976 T:140125685188352 DEBUG: [Artist Slideshow] /storage/.kodi/userdata/addon_data/script.artistslideshow/ArtistInformation/42b84ed6/ exists
15:41:27.976 T:140125685188352 DEBUG: [Artist Slideshow] Looking for a musicbrainz ID for artist Chris Brown
15:41:27.976 T:140125685188352 DEBUG: [Artist Slideshow] returning c234fa42-e6a6-443e-937e-2f4b073538a3

According to the second log you posted, AS is finding images and setting the folder properly. You can tell with these lines:
Code:
15:05:57.614 T:140125685188352   DEBUG: [Artist Slideshow] cached images found
15:05:57.614 T:140125685188352   DEBUG: [Artist Slideshow] ArtistSlideshow set to /storage/.kodi/userdata/addon_data/script.artistslideshow/ArtistSlideshow/42b84ed6/
15:05:57.614 T:140125685188352   DEBUG: [Artist Slideshow] ArtistSlideshow.ArtworkReady set to true

The log snippet you posted is normal when you have AS debugging enabled. That loop is part of the process that checks to see if the artist has changed (which would mean finding a new folder to show). The AS debugging info is *really* verbose, so once we're done troubleshooting, I'd definitely turn it off.

To your first comment. AS will not show in any kind of list anywhere (except in the list of Program Addons) unless the skin is doing something different than the way the default skin does it. AS is *NOT* a visualization. It is a script that sets some skin properties so that a skin can use that information to show images of the playing artist. Using my Estuary mod, I have the visualization set to NONE. Everything else is automatic if you go to the skin settings and under ARTWORK set the option for "show music visualization screen directly when playing a song" to on (it's the second option, right under "show media fanart as background." If you do that, when you hit play on an item in your music library the screen will change and you'll get images in the background.

Since you didn't post the full log, I can't tell if you're using my Estuary mod or something else. If you're not using my Estuary mod, you should check with the author of the skin you are using. From everything I can see AS is working fine.

Yes i am using your skin mod from the beta channel.

"show music visualization screen directly when playing a song" - This option is there but with no text, it was off so there is a bug. I have turned it on but it made no difference.

I have enabled text notifcations to debug some more, when i change to a new artist (i cleared the files and folders in ArtistSlideshow, to start from scratch), i receive a notification saying the images are being downloaded, and a folder is created with the artists hash.

After all this still nothing is displayed. It seems many people are reporting this same issue in one way or another, my debug log after the above process shows nothing out of the ordinary that i can see: http://pastebin.com/Hj390esT

The only error i can really find is:

13:21:22.542 T:140378773829760 DEBUG: Activating window ID: 12006
13:21:22.616 T:140378773829760 DEBUG: ------ Window Deinit (MyMusicNav.xml) ------
13:21:22.617 T:140378773829760 DEBUG: ------ Window Init (MusicVisualisation.xml) ------
13:21:22.617 T:140378773829760 INFO: Loading skin file: MusicVisualisation.xml, load type: KEEP_IN_MEMORY
13:21:22.620 T:140378773829760 ERROR: Misplaced [
13:21:22.620 T:140378773829760 ERROR: Error parsing boolean expression !System.HasAddon(script.artistslideshow) | !$INFO[Window(Visualisation).Property(ArtistSlideshow.ArtworkReady)]
13:21:22.624 T:140376501380864 DEBUG: Thread LanguageInvoker start, auto delete: false
13:21:22.625 T:140376501380864 INFO: initializing python engine.
13:21:22.625 T:140376501380864 DEBUG: CPythonInvoker(1, /storage/.kodi/addons/script.artistslideshow/default.py): start processing

RE: [RELEASE] Artist Slideshow 1.3.0 addon (with skin and addon integration) - leetwanker - 2017-01-23

(2017-01-23, 15:14)bitnumus Wrote: @pkskout I still can't get the plugin to show in the visualisations menu, so i can't enable it (its now disappeared)

It's not supposed to show up in the visualization menu. It's supposed to work without any visualization enabled at all when you're using a compatible skin.

RE: [RELEASE] Artist Slideshow 1.3.0 addon (with skin and addon integration) - style2k - 2017-01-23

(2017-01-23, 00:53)leetwanker Wrote: Why might I be getting a 'No images found for artist' for every song I play? All my mp3s are tagged with musicbrainz and I have another Kodi install where they work fine.

Ninja edit: I cleared a visualization setting, though I have no visualizers installed and it's stopped giving me the 'No images found for artist' notification. It's saying 'All artist images downloaded' but not displaying them.

I'm using pkscout's Estuary mod.

Edit: I made a debug log for you. I had to host it in a new github repo due to size, let me know if there's any issue viewing it. kodi.old.log

yeah same here getting realy frustrated .. i made a new map with just 5 tracks in it . propperly tagged renamed etcetc and still 3 of the 5 with no images found.and the 2 that show images where working already some time ago..
same mod here so i guess the problem is in the mod ?? or in kodi 17??
i mean comon how hard can it be ,, i play a track of artist a and i have a map with art and a map for every artist as says nothing donloaded and looks for local image and displays them in the artist a folder.. just dont get it why it doesnt work,, been bussy with this for hours now and not even counting hours i been bussy before but never got it working perfectly.

RE: [RELEASE] Artist Slideshow 1.3.0 addon (with skin and addon integration) - bitnumus - 2017-01-23

(2017-01-23, 15:22)leetwanker Wrote:
(2017-01-23, 15:14)bitnumus Wrote: @pkskout I still can't get the plugin to show in the visualisations menu, so i can't enable it (its now disappeared)

It's not supposed to show up in the visualization menu. It's supposed to work without any visualization enabled at all when you're using a compatible skin.

well thats confusing because its handled as a visualisation, at least the XML where its initiated is called MusicVisualisation.xml

either way that's academic because there is some issue with the skin mod

edit: I completely uninstalled both the skin and addon, removed their userdata DIRs and rebooted. Yet i'm still getting text notifications about downloading of images.......

edit2: After the above process i went back to the "ghost menu option", the one under Skin > Artwork, that has no text. This time when i turned it on it took me to my music playlist (playing) screen, and 5 seconds later an image appeared!!

@pkscout, there are plenty of people reporting bugs here and trying hard to provide pastes and such, including myself. You may be better served not just saying "artist slideshow is fine" and things like that, because clearly there are bugs, and we are trying to report them to you

RE: [RELEASE] Artist Slideshow 1.3.0 addon (with skin and addon integration) - leetwanker - 2017-01-24

Let's keep in mind that pkscout is doing all this out of the kindness of his heart and sharing with us for free. If he has time I'm sure he'll take a look at fixing any bugs, but let's be patient, eh?

Edit: Especially being that his is the only music visualization worth a damn and it's not like we have a choice in the matter! hah

Feel free to go fix any bugs you can find, you can find the code here: https://github.com/pkscout/script.artistslideshow

RE: [RELEASE] Artist Slideshow 1.3.0 addon (with skin and addon integration) - pkscout - 2017-01-24

(2017-01-23, 00:22)checkport88 Wrote: Hi pkscout,

It seems like you have a great addon here, but I am out of ideas how to make this work. Could you have a quick look at the log and see what you think?

https://paste.ubuntu.com/23848515/

I'm getting the popup, "No images found for artist". Log says that no theaudiodbartistbio.nfo file found, and no musicbrainz.nfo file found.

I don't really know what would be causing this. I'm running this on OSMC so that could be an issue. I have "Artist Slideshow" enabled in the skin.

Is the Artist Slideshow helper required?

I mainly want to stream a radio station and have the fanart showing while a song is playing.

Any ideas, please let me know.

According to the folks at theaudiodb.com, they have reached their bandwidth limit for the month. So no requests from that site will work until February 1. If you don't have your music tagged with the MusicBrainzID (which obviously you can't for streaming services), theaudiodb.com file is the only way I could get it to use with the fanart.tv site.

This is another moment where I will tell folks again that if you don't support the sites that provide the images and data for AS, then AS will be nothing. If you use this addon, please give to either theaudiodb.com or fanart.tv. I don't ask for any donations for this addon, but I do ask you support the sites that make AS possible.

P.S. at this point I believe all of the issues over the last few days are because of theaudiodb.com being unavailable.

RE: [RELEASE] Artist Slideshow 1.3.0 addon (with skin and addon integration) - pkscout - 2017-01-24

I've been thinking some more about the issue of theaudiodb.com going offline due to heavy usage. I want to share my ideas about one way I can address this and get everyone's thoughts on this.

AS is open source software licensed under a GPL license. That means I can't (and don't want to) really charge for it. I'm not even the original author of the script, so keeping it open and available is important to me (and seriously, out of my control). What I can "charge" for is access to me. So I'm thinking about requiring that to get an answer from me on something you must provide me evidence that you are monetarily supporting either fanart.tv or theaudiodb.com (probably via DM). Any amount would get you access to me for 1 year. I'm not going to guarantee any kind of response time or have any kind of contract. I'm doing this in my spare time, and sometimes that means I won't be available. Questions (and their answers) would still be posted here for everyone's edification, and others are welcome to step up and support those who opt to not support one of the two sites.

I'm also hoping the original author and others on the Kodi team might chime in on this. I clearly don't want to do anything contrary to the community norms here. I'm just trying to find a way to encourage people to support the sites that make AS possible. I suspect this will be a pain in the ass and make many people unhappy if I do it, but you'll be equally unhappy when the sites that provide the images are gone too.

Thoughts?

RE: [RELEASE] Artist Slideshow 1.3.0 addon (with skin and addon integration) - leetwanker - 2017-01-24

pkscout, I'm wondering if by setting the directory in the AS settings if the images that AS fetches are able to be saved there so they can be used next time a song by that artist is played, possibly on a different computer, as in my case. Right now the default is 'remote images first' which I suspect uses up much more bandwidth than AS using the images it downloaded last time.

(2017-01-24, 03:32)leetwanker Wrote: pkscout, I'm wondering if by setting the directory in the AS settings if the images that AS fetches are able to be saved there so they can be used next time a song by that artist is played, possibly on a different computer, as in my case. Right now the default is 'remote images first' which I suspect uses up much more bandwidth than AS using the images it downloaded last time.

I could change the default, but that would only affect new installs. Once you open the settings the first time in creates the settings based on the defaults. After that no change to the program defaults will have an affect. And if you don't select a local folder, the behavior is just like "remote first" anyway. I'm wondering how many people have multiple setups in their house that use AS. Those folks would certainly help things by using AS Helper to move images to a central location, but that means having network shares or a NAS, which isn't, I think, the case for most folks.

Honestly, if you have multiple computers, it would be much better to use something like Artwork Downloader to download art. Then turn all the remote image stuff off on AS and point AS to the Artwork Downloader folder. I've seriously considered modifying AS so that if it detects Artwork Downloader it sets all that and doesn't let you have AS download images at all. But that would mean no images for streaming audio. And I'm starting to think that's where most of the usage is and what puts the most load on theaudiodb.com (since it's highly likely you don't have artwork for that artist).

I could also look at capping the daily image downloads to something relatively small (like 20) to further reduce the load. Of course then folks will wonder why sometimes they get images and sometimes they don't.

But really, if folks would just pony up a few dollars a month to give to these services, I wouldn't have to spend my time trying to figure out how to make AS less useful.

RE: [RELEASE] Artist Slideshow 1.3.0 addon (with skin and addon integration) - style2k - 2017-01-24

is audiodb the only site ? arnt there alternatives?? and why are there settings in the addon if changing them doesnt work Huh? so i reinstall it and then i can change settings that work again?

RE: [RELEASE] Artist Slideshow 1.3.0 addon (with skin and addon integration) - docwra - 2017-01-24

TADB will be back Feb 1st, just wait a little.

Sorry guys, ran out of bandwidth which was caused by another Kodi Add-on on our host.

Kodi's userbase is getting quite ridiculous now, its getting in the 10's of millions which can effect our little metadata sites disproportionality.

RE: [RELEASE] Artist Slideshow 1.3.0 addon (with skin and addon integration) - arzaz - 2017-01-24

Which repo to install on Kodi jarvis 16.1 with the default Confluence Skin?

(2017-01-24, 17:41)arzaz Wrote: Which repo to install on Kodi jarvis 16.1 with the default Confluence Skin?

The default Confluence skin doesn't support AS. If you want, you can use my mod of Confluence. Check with AS wiki page (link in my signature) under section 4.1 for a link to the skin repo (you need the one that says Helix or later). Once you have that installed, pick the Confluence skin mod that matches your version.

RE: [RELEASE] Artist Slideshow 1.3.0 addon (with skin and addon integration) - KevinSartori - 2017-01-26

(2017-01-24, 03:27)pkscout Wrote: I've been thinking some more about the issue of theaudiodb.com going offline due to heavy usage. I want to share my ideas about one way I can address this and get everyone's thoughts on this.

AS is open source software licensed under a GPL license. That means I can't (and don't want to) really charge for it. I'm not even the original author of the script, so keeping it open and available is important to me (and seriously, out of my control). What I can "charge" for is access to me. So I'm thinking about requiring that to get an answer from me on something you must provide me evidence that you are monetarily supporting either fanart.tv or theaudiodb.com (probably via DM). Any amount would get you access to me for 1 year. I'm not going to guarantee any kind of response time or have any kind of contract. I'm doing this in my spare time, and sometimes that means I won't be available. Questions (and their answers) would still be posted here for everyone's edification, and others are welcome to step up and support those who opt to not support one of the two sites.

I'm also hoping the original author and others on the Kodi team might chime in on this. I clearly don't want to do anything contrary to the community norms here. I'm just trying to find a way to encourage people to support the sites that make AS possible. I suspect this will be a pain in the ass and make many people unhappy if I do it, but you'll be equally unhappy when the sites that provide the images are gone too.

Thoughts?

Fantastic idea! I keep meaning to donate, but just never got around to it! I appreciate the reminder of how important it is to support the projects that matter to you. I just donated £10.00 to fanart.tv and £16.00 to TheAudioDB.com.

RE: [RELEASE] Artist Slideshow 1.3.0 addon (with skin and addon integration) - style2k - 2017-01-26

arnt there more sources to get art from that you can add in the addon to split the load? further if i have setup an amount of images and they are downloaded why should i need to get more , so maybe can it be changed or entred in settings that if you find an set amount of images in the art folder that it doesnt go to download images again? in my case when i have set an amount of images in the settings to lets say 10 fanart backgrounds i dont need to download more i just want the addon to play what is in the local art map..and i think lots of people that dont need dl new and more images all the time when they have some local stored images . that would already be les load on those site right? and yes you can set that you only want to use local images but when some new tracks are added i stil want to download images to fill the art folder 1 time if i have no images yet but doing it once is better then doing it over and over again