Kodi Community Forum
Release Artist Slideshow addon (with skin and addon integration) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Add-on Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Program Add-ons (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=151)
+---- Thread: Release Artist Slideshow addon (with skin and addon integration) (/showthread.php?tid=124880)

RE: [RELEASE] Artist Slideshow 1.3.0 addon (with skin and addon integration) - pkscout - 2018-01-18

(2018-01-17, 18:52)tomsutton529 Wrote: Over the last week I have updated the backgrounds for a few artists on both Fanart.tv and the AudioDB, I am not seeing the new artwork in the slide show. 

Artwork has been approved at Fanart.tv
rebooted PI

anything else I can do?
A while back there was a significant problem with AS beating the crap out the APIs of the various services (especially audiodb).  To help combat that, I implemented a random, really long delay between checks for new information on a given artist.  And when I say really long, it's between 12 and 24 weeks.  The easiest way to override that is to go to your Kodi userdata/addon_data folder and find script.artistslideshow.  In there is the ArtistInformation folder.  If you've upgraded to 2.1.0, look for the artist's name (pre-2.1.0 it's a hash of the name, so it's much harder to find) in that folder.  There are separate cachetime.nfo files for each of the services.  If you delete one or all of those, AS will get an updated JSON file from the services and download the new images.

I understand that this choice means new images don't show up immediately (or even very quickly), but at the time I made this change we had just lost access to HTBackdrops because they couldn't afford the bandwidth costs, and I was VERY sensitive to being a good API citizen with the remaining two services.  I don't really want to provide cache time as a setting, because then everyone will just set it to the shortest period.  I am willing to look at a shorter time period (like maybe 3 - 6 weeks instead of 12 - 24) if there's a sense that the current strategy has removed AS from the top list of API users (at one point I think we were the number one API user on audiodb).

And just to renew my periodic call.  If everyone who used AS would donate to Fanart.tv and TheAudioDB, we could probably fund their bandwidth so that AS wouldn't need to cache so aggressively.  Just saying. 😉

RE: [RELEASE] Artist Slideshow 1.3.0 addon (with skin and addon integration) - pkscout - 2018-01-24

New Beta Release Available
v.2.1.1~beta2 (beta1 was internal only)
- change to cache timing including decreased cache time if donating to image services
- added option to download artist thumb from theaudiodb.com
- added option to store service information files in local artist path
- rearranged settings
- fixes to exception handling syntax to be consistent with Python3
- refactored some common functions

The beta is available from my beta repository at:

https://github.com/pkscout/repository.beta.pkscout/raw/helix/repository.beta.pkscout-1.1.0.zip

A  note on the first item.  If you donate to one or both of the image services, there is a toggle where you can indicate that which will decrease the cache time.  I'm trying this as an experiment to see if folks will do the right thing and only enable that if they actually donate.  No, I don't have any way to know.  I'm hoping I'll get some feedback from one or both of the services if there's a big spike in traffic that is an issue.  Additionally, if you have a client API key for fanart.tv, you'll get a somewhat reduced cache time on that one (though not as much as if you donate).

There is now also an option to have the data in the ArtistInformation folder stored in the same place as your images (if you have a local image directory defined).  This means that if you're sharing images with multiple Kodi instances that they'll all use exactly the same files (and cache expiration).  When you enable that option the first time, AS will do a one time move of all your ArtistInformation folders to a folder called information in the same directory with your extrafanart.  This move cannot be undone.

The rest of the changes are housekeeping stuff.

RE: [RELEASE] Artist Slideshow 1.3.0 addon (with skin and addon integration) - docwra - 2018-01-24

Thanks pkscout, I'll let you know if it helps running the sites Smile

The fact that its "opt in" should make it pretty safe, although I do worry a little about the "builds" that fly around and get installed on hundreds of thousands of android boxes. Lets wait and see though Smile

RE: [RELEASE] Artist Slideshow 1.3.0 addon (with skin and addon integration) - docwra - 2018-01-24

Oh and one more thing, TADB now supports HDClearArt, transparent artist images.

I'm not sure its possible (or even wanted), but it might be cool to show that in the bottom of the skin or something like that.

RE: [RELEASE] Artist Slideshow 1.3.0 addon (with skin and addon integration) - rew88 - 2018-01-29

@ PK love your work man slideshow artist is absolutely awesome with the recent changes I just converted 10gb of hashed images
into artist names 
thankyou

rew88

RE: [RELEASE] Artist Slideshow 1.3.0 addon (with skin and addon integration) - Sauseklaus - 2018-02-11

Hello,
with version 2.1.0 I have some problems with the addons for additional infos: the new UTF8 coding leads to an UnicodeEncodeError when calling routine os.path.getmtime for an UTF8 encoded path with special german characters. Without such special characters everything is okay. If I disable the use of any additional info such as bio, artist info etc. AS is running without problems, too.

Coudl this be a problem with my "older" environment using Kodi 16.1 and LibreElec 7.0.2 on a Raspberry Pi (for some other reasons I cannot update to a newer Kodi version right now, hopefully in the near future). The python version is 2.7.11.

Any idea how to solve these problems are highly welcome.

By the way: thanks a lot for this brilliant addon!

Regards,
Sauseklaus

Update: I just gave the latest beta release a try and it is working now without problems! ;-)

RE: [RELEASE] Artist Slideshow 1.3.0 addon (with skin and addon integration) - pkscout - 2018-02-12

(2018-02-11, 20:53)Sauseklaus Wrote: Hello,
with version 2.1.0 I have some problems with the addons for additional infos: the new UTF8 coding leads to an UnicodeEncodeError when calling routine os.path.getmtime for an UTF8 encoded path with special german characters. Without such special characters everything is okay. If I disable the use of any additional info such as bio, artist info etc. AS is running without problems, too.

Coudl this be a problem with my "older" environment using Kodi 16.1 and LibreElec 7.0.2 on a Raspberry Pi (for some other reasons I cannot update to a newer Kodi version right now, hopefully in the near future). The python version is 2.7.11.

Any idea how to solve these problems are highly welcome.

By the way: thanks a lot for this brilliant addon!

Regards,
Sauseklaus

Update: I just gave the latest beta release a try and it is working now without problems! ;-)
Glad to hear.  os.path.gettime can be kind of funky on certain platforms, so with some other updates I switched over to using the Kodi calls for filesystem stuff that's basically platform agnostic.  So that's probably why it works now.  I'm planning to push that beta into production in the next week or two.  I don't like to do production releases very often, as it's work for the Kodi team.  That's why I've been waiting.

RE: [RELEASE] Artist Slideshow 1.3.0 addon (with skin and addon integration) - Sauseklaus - 2018-02-12

Thanx a lot for your answer and explanation - and of course for your great work & support! ;-)

RE: [RELEASE] Artist Slideshow 1.3.0 addon (with skin and addon integration) - Govnah - 2018-02-13

Having an issue w/ KODI/Leia XBOX UWP version and artist slideshow. Running UWP version from the February 12th, MQ8 beta 1.3. If I should post in Win 10/UWP please move.

Below is the log:

http://ix.io/GRB

RE: [RELEASE] Artist Slideshow 1.3.0 addon (with skin and addon integration) - Govnah - 2018-02-13

I realize the version of KODI is alpha and to expect issues.

RE: [RELEASE] Artist Slideshow 1.3.0 addon (with skin and addon integration) - pkscout - 2018-02-14

(2018-02-13, 18:56)Govnah Wrote: Having an issue w/ KODI/Leia XBOX UWP version and artist slideshow. Running UWP version from the February 12th, MQ8 beta 1.3. If I should post in Win 10/UWP please move.

Below is the log:

There's no entry in that log indicating Artist Slideshow was ever run.  Part of that is that it looks like debug logging wasn't enabled.  You need to enable debug logging in Kodi *and* in AS (via the AS settings).

RE: [RELEASE] Artist Slideshow 1.3.0 addon (with skin and addon integration) - Govnah - 2018-02-14

(2018-02-14, 07:32)pkscout Wrote:
(2018-02-13, 18:56)Govnah Wrote: Having an issue w/ KODI/Leia XBOX UWP version and artist slideshow. Running UWP version from the February 12th, MQ8 beta 1.3. If I should post in Win 10/UWP please move.

Below is the log:

There's no entry in that log indicating Artist Slideshow was ever run.  Part of that is that it looks like debug logging wasn't enabled.  You need to enable debug logging in Kodi *and* in AS (via the AS settings). 
pkscout thanks for the reply. I will double double check I have debugging enabled in both AS and KODI, I went through the log and found the following:

"U:\Users\UserMgr0\AppData\Local\Packages\XBMCFoundation.Kodi_4n2hpmxwrvr6p\LocalState\addons\script.artistslideshow\default.py", line 27, in <module> from resources.common.fileops import checkPath, writeFile, readFile, deleteFile, deleteFolder, copyFile, moveFile....

No idea if that means it was running or not, I checked under "Addons" and AS was enabled. I will validate and capture some logs tomorrow.

Thanks!

RE: [RELEASE] Artist Slideshow 1.3.0 addon (with skin and addon integration) - Govnah - 2018-02-14

Here is the log and I made sure debugging was enabled in both, AS and KODI. I ran AS from the "Addons" and received an error each time. Even though I have AS enabled I assume that is not the same as the script is actually running?

Looking through the previous log and this log, seems to be the same error when i search on AS referencing python, U:\Users\UserMgr0\AppData\Local\Packages\XBMCFoundation.Kodi_4n2hpmxwrvr6p\LocalState\addons\script.artistslideshow\default.py", line 27, in <module>......

http://ix.io/H9Z

Thanks!

RE: [RELEASE] Artist Slideshow 1.3.0 addon (with skin and addon integration) - pkscout - 2018-02-15

(2018-02-14, 08:49)Govnah Wrote: Here is the log and I made sure debugging was enabled in both, AS and KODI. I ran AS from the "Addons" and received an error each time. Even though I have AS enabled I assume that is not the same as the script is actually running?

Looking through the previous log and this log, seems to be the same error when i search on AS referencing python, U:\Users\UserMgr0\AppData\Local\Packages\XBMCFoundation.Kodi_4n2hpmxwrvr6p\LocalState\addons\script.artistslideshow\default.py", line 27, in <module>......

http://ix.io/H9Z

Thanks!
That's strange.  According to the log AS is crashing because subprocess.py (which is a python module) isn't able to do an import.  I've never seen that problem before on any platform, and I'm unable to duplicate it here on my Mac, Windows, or Raspberry Pi.  The only difference is that I'm using the stand alone installer rather than the Windows Store version.  You might try uninstalling Kodi and reinstalling it, as I think there is something wrong with your Kodi install.  Fortunately the issue is with a "common" module of mine that I don't actually use in AS, so if you want to manually remove the code that's causing subprocess to try and load, you could do that.  In script.artlistslideshow/resources/common/fileops.py you'd need to delete the subprocess import on line 3 and then completely delete the popenWithTimeout function (lines 116 - 133).  This is *not* a fix, but it would allow you to get things working again.

RE: [RELEASE] Artist Slideshow 1.3.0 addon (with skin and addon integration) - Govnah - 2018-02-15

One of the KODI developers pointed me to the UWP FAQ and I assume this is the issue:

Python _subprocess module is not available on UWP, so an author of the add-on must work around or not use it for UWP.

The following lines:

import subprocess, shutil, time

and…

def popenWithTimeout( command, timeout ):
    log_lines = []
    try:
        p = subprocess.Popen( command, stdout=subprocess.PIPE, stderr=subprocess.PIPE )
    except OSError:
        log_lines.append( 'error finding external script, terminating' )
        return False, log_lines
    except Exception as e:
        log_lines.append( 'unknown error while attempting to run %s' % command )
        log_lines.append( e )
        return False, log_lines
    for t in xrange( timeout * 4 ):
        time.sleep( 0.25 )
        if p.poll() is not None:
            return p.communicate(), ''
    p.kill()
    log_lines.append( 'script took too long to run, terminating' )
    return False, log_lines

Thanks!