Kodi Community Forum
Crystalbuntu USB drive access,folder creation,standby,airtunes - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Linux (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: Crystalbuntu USB drive access,folder creation,standby,airtunes (/showthread.php?tid=127874)

Pages: 1 2

Crystalbuntu USB drive access,folder creation,standby,airtunes - mullum - 2012-04-05

I'd been wanting to put Crystalbuntu on my ATV for a long time and after finding the instructions and installer image I gave it a go.

Unfortunately I think things may not have gone smoothly - XBMC runs - but ..

On startup it looks as though its running a setup rather than just booting ?
When I exit XBMC I get a black screen - no "desktop" - so I'm unable to run any configuration scripts ..
When I SSH I cant upload anything (SSH_FX_permission denied) (using atv/atv)

When I attach the HD directly to my Mac using an external chassis - 2 of the 3 partitions {disk2s2 and disk2s3} wont mount). Recovery Disk2s1 will mount, is that normal ? I thought Id be able to copy over all my films directly - seeing that I cant FTP anymore (or SSH for that matter).

when I click "reset" on my remote it goes into XBMC.
I dont know if I can or should try attaching to installer pen drive and trying to install again ?

stupidly I have no idea how to get back the original OS ...

RE: Crystalbuntu - ATV1 - SSH FX permission denied - mullum - 2012-04-05

Please help ..

RE: Crystalbuntu - ATV1 - SSH FX permission denied - calev - 2012-04-06

Some of the directories will not have write access with ssh guis. try making a media folder in /home/atv and try copying files there.You can enable root and ssh in as root so you can copy files where ever you want. Im pretty sure those partitions are formatted as ext 3 and mac can not mount ext 3. No desktop is included because of limited ram. you can add a desktop but then you would want to add xbmc to your gdm sessions to save memory. It does not do it by default in ubuntu 8.04. If you want to install a desktop i suggest the following command.
" sudo apt-get install xubuntu-desktop "

Crystalbuntu USB drive access,folder creation,standby,airtunes - mullum - 2012-04-06

Thanks for that ...
Folder creation is still a bit weird - I can upload a file, but not a folder with files inside. Ive created folders, moved them into /home/ATV/Movies but they disappear - I logout and login then they appear. I dont fancy copying 140gb of movies like this ..
How do I access (a mac OSX partitioned) USB drive ? Whats the address (for adding to xbmc sources) ?
After some time (or if I choose any of the options in the shutdown menu) the system goes to a black screen, it only responds to the remote command of reset which causes a full reboot - isnt there a way to go into standby and later resume - or at least just stay awake ?
In xbmc power saving Ive set sleep when idle to OFF and shutdown function timer to OFF, shutdown function is set to HIBERNATE.

One thing I used all the time was "airtunes" - but although the item XBMC (crystalbuntu) appears in iTunes - it doesnt allow me to select it (airfoil works though).

I'm beginning to wonder whether the gains out way the losses running crystalbuntu (over ATVflash) - no more ftp, no access to my iTunes content, no standby, no ability to mount the drive and quickly copy over 140GB of movies.

RE: Crystalbuntu USB drive access,folder creation,standby,airtunes - calev - 2012-04-06

I promise, unless your playing drm content, crystalbuntu's xbmc experience is in every-way superior with or without Chrystal hd card. The apple TV cannot sleep. It couldn't sleep with osx either. Your probably getting a black screen when you exit xbmc. If your getting a black screen with no text when you exit xbmc your tv probably cant see console screen. My monitor has that same issue. But there is no need to go to console. When you plug in your usb drive just go to sources and add your usb drive. It should be on the right. If its not look for it in a folder called root file system/media.If its not there it likely did not mount. Ive had no problem mounting hfs file systems, ntsf, fat or ext file systems.They usually just show up. For copying large amount of files and folders i suggest turning on sharing on your mac and then accessing it from the file manager within xbmc. xbmc file manager will let you copy anything anywhere you want. After you share a folder on your mac, just add a share in xbmc with the appropriate protocol and your mac's ip address. I would be happy to walk you through any of the above if you need it. stmlabs forums have been down. You normally would get answers much quicker there.
There is a way to restore the apple tv to its original state with a mac. i never get a black screen after leaving my apple tv on. That sounds like a pretty big issue.Mabye your tv doesnt like the way atv's linux handles hdmi. You would probably have better luck with component after changing a few settings. If you dont have the black screen problems on another tv i would go with component.

RE: Crystalbuntu USB drive access,folder creation,standby,airtunes - mullum - 2012-04-06

first of all thanks you very much for taking the time to go into detail with solutions - its much appreciated.
FORTUNATELY I have enough knowledge to understand exactly what you are referring to and can attempt them.
UNFORTUNATELY Im having issues with several of those solutions.
Before I go on I just want to mention that I know what you mean about sleep - but the original OS did have a sort of standby/sleep mode where the front light was off, no video was output and (perhaps, Im not sure but Ive heard) the hard drive spinned down. It still stayed pretty hot though !

Ok,
Black screen - I hadnt thought about the TV not seeing the console - I think you are probably right there as I dont see everything when its booting. Do you just leave XBMC constantly on ? How do you refresh the library without a full reboot ?

USB drive - I didnt know that address (root file system /media) - unfortunately the one partition that doesn't show up there is the one I want. "Boot OSX" shows up - with no contents, and the manufacturers "utility" partition (which irritatingly cannot be deleted - grrr).

Network shares - I'd love for that to work again ! Sadly Ive been unable to access any network shares for quite some time even when I was using the old OS with ATVflash. It was working fine and I was even streaming 720p files but after an XBMC update (not sure which) I just cant see any shares anymore. SMB says not available and clicking on afp or zeroconfig does nothing at all. Im pretty used to setting up shares over smb and afp - so presumed they were somehow "broken" by the update.

Black screen - my TV has never had any problem with HDMI before so perhaps you are right about linux - unfortunately there are no component inputs on my TV. I'll keep an eye on it though as right now it seems intermittent, Its going to take more time to really see what is causing what ...

RE: Crystalbuntu USB drive access,folder creation,standby,airtunes - calev - 2012-04-06

(2012-04-06, 19:15)mullum Wrote: first of all thanks you very much for taking the time to go into detail with solutions - its much appreciated.
FORTUNATELY I have enough knowledge to understand exactly what you are referring to and can attempt them.
UNFORTUNATELY Im having issues with several of those solutions.
Before I go on I just want to mention that I know what you mean about sleep - but the original OS did have a sort of standby/sleep mode where the front light was off, no video was output and (perhaps, Im not sure but Ive heard) the hard drive spinned down. It still stayed pretty hot though !

Ok,
Black screen - I hadnt thought about the TV not seeing the console - I think you are probably right there as I dont see everything when its booting. Do you just leave XBMC constantly on ? How do you refresh the library without a full reboot ?

USB drive - I didnt know that address (root file system /media) - unfortunately the one partition that doesn't show up there is the one I want. "Boot OSX" shows up - with no contents, and the manufacturers "utility" partition (which irritatingly cannot be deleted - grrr).

Network shares - I'd love for that to work again ! Sadly Ive been unable to access any network shares for quite some time even when I was using the old OS with ATVflash. It was working fine and I was even streaming 720p files but after an XBMC update (not sure which) I just cant see any shares anymore. SMB says not available and clicking on afp or zeroconfig does nothing at all. Im pretty used to setting up shares over smb and afp - so presumed they were somehow "broken" by the update.

Black screen - my TV has never had any problem with HDMI before so perhaps you are right about linux - unfortunately there are no component inputs on my TV. I'll keep an eye on it though as right now it seems intermittent, Its going to take more time to really see what is causing what ...
Chrystalbuntu does spin down the harddrive after like 20 minutes. I suppose there needs to be a signal cut off but right now you can just tell xbmc to display a black screen.When i compared chrystalbuntu heat to osx ,chrystalbuntu seemed cooler to me.

Network shares- Ive heard that zero config sucks pretty bad for some reason. If your on snow leapard or below and you set up smb shares you have to manually input your ip adress. Sorry if you have already tried this, but i want to make sure you typed in smb://192...... That always works for me. browsing for shares doesnt always work for me. You could always install smb shares for ubuntu on your apple tv and copy them the other way around.

USB drive - I honestly have no idea why your partition doesnt shows up. Try reformatting it as a different type.

Black screen - I do just leave xbmc constantly on. My tv doesnt turn off when there is no signal so that doesnt bother me. If you want to refresh the library, you just hold down the menu button over a source and click refresh library.

Finally, you could always try openelec. Its getting better. But still not as user freindly.
If you feel like you need to go back to the way it was you can follow this guide restore apple tv in 5 minutes One of the links are broken. So you will have to scroll to the last page to get another link.

RE: Crystalbuntu USB drive access,folder creation,standby,airtunes - mullum - 2012-04-06

Mate great reply - I'll try typing the IP address, reformatting the USB drive, holding down menu (aha - genius!) and leaving the ATV on.

Much appreciated - given time Im sure I'll iron out the niggles ...

RE: Crystalbuntu USB drive access,folder creation,standby,airtunes - mullum - 2012-04-10

figured out why the hard drive wasnt accessible - its a mac osx ENCRYPTED partition - doh !

RE: Crystalbuntu USB drive access,folder creation,standby,airtunes - mullum - 2012-04-11

have also discovered that SMB filesharing is indeed broken between Lion and XBMC

Im now looking into giving this a go : AtvCloner XBMC Linux Image 26 (see Dynaflash Tech)

looks like it resolves a few issues Ive had ....

RE: Crystalbuntu USB drive access,folder creation,standby,airtunes - wrxtasy - 2012-04-13

If you want SMB file sharing again running OSX Lion you will need to install a utility called SMBUp on your Mac.
Apple removed some old SMB functionality in Lion due to licensing issues.

I use Zeroconfig with AFP to access my shares on OSX Lion with Crystalbuntu with no problems whatsoever.
I believe you are having external issues unrelated to Crystalbuntu, and also need to learn to setup XBMC correctly.

Crystalbuntu is a beautiful slick way to run XBMC on the ATV1. I have not looked back since installing mine on a USB stick.

RE: Crystalbuntu USB drive access,folder creation,standby,airtunes - mullum - 2012-04-13

(2012-04-13, 06:12)wrxtasy Wrote: If you want SMB file sharing again running OSX Lion you will need to install a utility called SMBUp on your Mac.
Apple removed some old SMB functionality in Lion due to licensing issues.

Ok thanks for that, good to know ..

wrxtasy Wrote:I use Zeroconfig with AFP to access my shares on OSX Lion with Crystalbuntu with no problems whatsoever.
I believe you are having external issues unrelated to Crystalbuntu, and also need to learn to setup XBMC correctly.

Yes perhaps the issues are "external" as you say, but I can assure you that I know how to set up XBMC correctly. I've been using it since it was running on my Xbox (which by the way was accessing my movies over SMB ;-) I'm more than familiar with networking on OSX (and windows).

wrxtasy Wrote:Crystalbuntu is a beautiful slick way to run XBMC on the ATV1. I have not looked back since installing mine on a USB stick.

Great, thats good to hear - all anecdotes Ive heard sop far have been positive. Have you looked into "AtvCloner XBMC Linux Image" at all ? Any pros & cons there ?

RE: Crystalbuntu USB drive access,folder creation,standby,airtunes - Ozymandyaz - 2012-04-13

(2012-04-13, 15:15)mullum Wrote: Great, thats good to hear - all anecdotes Ive heard sop far have been positive. Have you looked into "AtvCloner XBMC Linux Image" at all ? Any pros & cons there ?

Hi There mullum -

I'm a HUGE fan of Crystalbuntu and currently have a few ATV1s running very smoothly. I'd give the SMB route a try with the utilities mentioned above since SMB is a good way way to go... And I agree that the issues you are seeing seem external to the ATV... I have never used the AtvCloner, but seriously... Crystalbuntu is the way to go.

get some logs and ask these questions in the STMLabs forum, Sam is often quick to respond.

RE: Crystalbuntu USB drive access,folder creation,standby,airtunes - mullum - 2012-04-13

Hi and thanks to both of you for recommending SMBup - thats done the trick and I can now access my shares again. Even when I used to be able to network share - I still always ftp'd files onto the internal (160GB) drive so as to make use of the space (freeing up space elsewhere). I like using FTP as its nice and manageable from my laptop (with nice options like "file resume"etc. This re-enabling of SMB will make the whole XBMC/Crystalbuntu experience more doable without FTP, but it'd still be nice to see standard ftp server access enabled (at some point, if possible ;-) but I am of course grateful for the existing state of crystalbuntu :-) ...

RE: Crystalbuntu USB drive access,folder creation,standby,airtunes - calev - 2012-04-13

You can install ftp if you want. It might be a little difficult to set up. This guide should be a good place to start ubuntu 8.04 Install FTP Server . You could get the same result by installing samba shares on the apple tv.