Kodi Community Forum
Wake on lan (WOL) Not working at all - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Linux (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: Wake on lan (WOL) Not working at all (/showthread.php?tid=127969)

Wake on lan (WOL) Not working at all - Gekkegast - 2012-04-06

Hello Guys,

So the last few days i've been tweaking around with my newly built HTPC but I can't seem to get WOL (Wake on Lan) working. I've been following this guide on the XBMC wiki page step-by-step and I didn't got any errors during the progress. (Wiki link: http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HOW-TO_set_up_Wake-On-Lan_%28Ubuntu%29).

I have succesfully enabled wake on lan in the bios and also created the init.d script. Now when I put the HTPC into Suspend or completely shut down mode and try to wake it up using another (windows) computer nothing just happens.

There are two things that might cause this problem:
1. When the computer is completely turned of or in Suspend mode the LED on the network port is not on? (Which means it's turned of or something)
2. The power supply I'm using has no physical ON/OFF button, so maybe the power supply is not giving any electricity to the mainbord for the wake on lan function to work. (But than also it could not be in suspend mode..)

HTPC Specs:
Mobo: Asrock E350M1/USB3
Case: Spire Power Cube SPM210 (With the included 300W power supply)

Any advice or tips would be appreciated.
(Sorry for my bad english)

Jordi

RE: Wake on lan (WOL) Not working at all - teeedubb - 2012-04-06

That wiki link doesnt link to anything,,, whats the output of 'sudo ethtool eth0' ?

RE: Wake on lan (WOL) Not working at all - digitalb0y - 2012-04-06

Do you have an Android with wifi access to your local network? The official XBMC Remote app will wake your box too if it's able. Or could you install an Ubuntu VM in Virtualbox and then install and run etherwake? It would be interesting to see if a non-Windows wake command works. How are you trying to wake it from the Windows boxes?

Also, what are you apologizing for? If you hadn't said that, I wouldn't have known that English is not your first language.

RE: Wake on lan (WOL) Not working at all - Gekkegast - 2012-04-10

(2012-04-06, 23:02)teeedubb Wrote: That wiki link doesnt link to anything,,, whats the output of 'sudo ethtool eth0' ?

That command gives me the following output:
Code:
Settings for eth0:
    Supported ports: [ TP ]
    Supported link modes:   10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
                            100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
                            1000baseT/Full
    Supports auto-negotiation: Yes
    Advertised link modes:  10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
                            100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
                            1000baseT/Full
    Advertised pause frame use: Symmetric Receive-only
    Advertised auto-negotiation: Yes
    Speed: 1000Mb/s
    Duplex: Full
    Port: Twisted Pair
    PHYAD: 0
    Transceiver: internal
    Auto-negotiation: on
    MDI-X: Unknown
    Supports Wake-on: pumbg
    Wake-on: g
    Current message level: 0x00000033 (51)
                   drv probe ifdown ifup
    Link detected: yes

(2012-04-06, 23:54)digitalb0y Wrote: Do you have an Android with wifi access to your local network? The official XBMC Remote app will wake your box too if it's able. Or could you install an Ubuntu VM in Virtualbox and then install and run etherwake? It would be interesting to see if a non-Windows wake command works. How are you trying to wake it from the Windows boxes?

Also, what are you apologizing for? If you hadn't said that, I wouldn't have known that English is not your first language.

I do have an Android phone with wifi acces. Im currently trying to set this up and will let you know if it worked. If it didn't I will test it with Ubuntu on a virtualbox.

RE: Wake on lan (WOL) Not working at all - teeedubb - 2012-04-11

Looks as though wol is enabled on the machine and from memory its the same as my pc (wake on g). When I get home I'll post the setting I use to wake my machine... I remember I had to muck around with my router settings to get it to work.

RE: Wake on lan (WOL) Not working at all - Gekkegast - 2012-04-11

(2012-04-11, 05:53)teeedubb Wrote: Looks as though wol is enabled on the machine and from memory its the same as my pc (wake on g). When I get home I'll post the setting I use to wake my machine... I remember I had to muck around with my router settings to get it to work.

Yes, I'm pretty sure I have enabled WOL succesfully. Looking forward to seeing your settings.

I've tested the wake on lan function with the Android Remote, and it worked succesfully! Only from Suspend mode though but it's a huge step, and if I don't get the normal WOL to work this wil also do!

RE: Wake on lan (WOL) Not working at all - critter2020 - 2012-04-12

I spent almost a whole day looking through forums, websites and the likes, and what it ended being was just to follow these two threads (in my case anyways)

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=234588

and

http://android.mafro.net/wol_tutorial.htm (at the bottom where it says Debian)

Also, in some cases you may have an option in your BIOS about Deep Power Mode or something like that, make sure this is disabled, and in some instances you may have to enable Wake on PCI to wake the computer.

Hope this helps

Good luck

RE: Wake on lan (WOL) Not working at all - Gekkegast - 2012-04-12

Hi,
Thx for the information critter2020.

Currently the problem has been solved and I can now succesfully wake my computer on LAN. I've been testing WOL with a laptop with WIFI connection to the network, however this is still not working. Yesterday I tried it with a other wired PC and it's waking up as it's supposed to be.

Still working on the WIFI wake on lan though, and will let you guys know when I make any progress.

Jordi

RE: Wake on lan (WOL) Not working at all - artrafael - 2012-04-12

(2012-04-12, 11:17)Gekkegast Wrote: Still working on the WIFI wake on lan though, and will let you guys know when I make any progress.
Is it the PC you are trying to wakeup that is connected via WiFi or are you referring to using a WiFi connected PC to wakeup your Ethernet-wired PC?

RE: Wake on lan (WOL) Not working at all - Gekkegast - 2012-04-13

(2012-04-12, 19:38)artrafael Wrote:
(2012-04-12, 11:17)Gekkegast Wrote: Still working on the WIFI wake on lan though, and will let you guys know when I make any progress.
Is it the PC you are trying to wakeup that is connected via WiFi or are you referring to using a WiFi connected PC to wakeup your Ethernet-wired PC?

The PC I'm trying to wake is connected with a wire. I'm trying to send the magic packet with my laptop connected to the same network using WIFI.

RE: Wake on lan (WOL) Not working at all - artrafael - 2012-04-13

(2012-04-13, 12:13)Gekkegast Wrote: The PC I'm trying to wake is connected with a wire. I'm trying to send the magic packet with my laptop connected to the same network using WIFI.
If you connect that laptop to your network using Ethernet (instead of WiFi), are you able to send the magic packet to wakeup your HTPC system? I know you previously said that you were able to use another PC (wired) to wakeup your HTPC, but I wasn't sure if you had done a wired test using your laptop.

Since your other wired PC can wakeup your HTPC, that indicates your HTPC is setup correctly for WOL. The issue then seems to be with your laptop.

RE: Wake on lan (WOL) Not working at all - digitalb0y - 2012-04-15

It's strange that it makes a difference whether the machine you're using to wake it is on wifi or ethernet. I don't have Windows to test, but WOL is working on my XBMCbuntu machine (connected via ethernet), and it works the same if I ssh into my Ubuntu NAS (also connected via ethernet) and run etherwake, or if I use a WOL widget to wake it up from a MacBook that's connected via WiFi. The Android app works the same way when connected to the local network via WiFi, and even with WiFi turned off on my phone, I can use a DynDNS address instead of a local IP and it will wake my XBMCbuntu box.

I can also wake it up from the Mac (WiFi), Android (local WiFi, not over the internet) or my NAS (ethernet) from a full shutdown or in hibernation. It doesn't have to be suspended.

When you enabled wake in your BIOS, did you have any other options? I remember there were a couple of types of Wake on LAN in my BIOS. What do you get if you run the following command?

Code:
ethtool eth0 | grep Wake-on

RE: Wake on lan (WOL) Not working at all - Gekkegast - 2012-04-16

(2012-04-15, 20:33)digitalb0y Wrote: It's strange that it makes a difference whether the machine you're using to wake it is on wifi or ethernet. I don't have Windows to test, but WOL is working on my XBMCbuntu machine (connected via ethernet), and it works the same if I ssh into my Ubuntu NAS (also connected via ethernet) and run etherwake, or if I use a WOL widget to wake it up from a MacBook that's connected via WiFi. The Android app works the same way when connected to the local network via WiFi, and even with WiFi turned off on my phone, I can use a DynDNS address instead of a local IP and it will wake my XBMCbuntu box.
Thanks for checking it. I'm not home now, but when I am I will check if i can wake my machine using the same laptop connected with a wire. I will also try to wake the machine using the remote android app being not on the network.
(2012-04-15, 20:33)digitalb0y Wrote: I can also wake it up from the Mac (WiFi), Android (local WiFi, not over the internet) or my NAS (ethernet) from a full shutdown or in hibernation. It doesn't have to be suspended.
Nice, I will try that also. But im afraid that wont be work cause as I said in the original post that my power supply doesn't has a physical on/off button.
(2012-04-15, 20:33)digitalb0y Wrote: When you enabled wake in your BIOS, did you have any other options? I remember there were a couple of types of Wake on LAN in my BIOS. What do you get if you run the following command?

Code:
ethtool eth0 | grep Wake-on
Will report back when I'm home

RE: Wake on lan (WOL) Not working at all - bumperjeep - 2012-04-16

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HOW-TO:Set_up_Wake-On-Lan_(Ubuntu)

When the computer is shut down, do you see a light on the Ethernet port? If yes, then the computer is still giving the ethernet port power, which is a good sign. If not, there is probably something wrong with the settings in the BIOS.

Also, waking on the Internet doesn't work well at all, the command needs to be sent from within the Lan.
This is what makes DDWRT's WOL command great.

RE: Wake on lan (WOL) Not working at all - scokem - 2012-04-18

I take no credit for this as the info was taken from a few places but I got WOL working on my Ubuntu boxes by doing the following (after making sure the necessary options were enabled in the BIOS):

1. Edit the /etc/init.d/halt file and change the "NETDOWN" option to prevent network interface being disabled at power-off.
Code:
NETDOWN=no

2. Run the following command to check the status of eth0 - you are interested in the "Wake-on: x" line (you want it to be "Wake-on: g").
Code:
sudo ethtool eth0

3. If it isn't set to "g" already, run the following command.
Code:
ethtool -s eth0 wol g

4. To force this option to be set at power-on, add the following to /etc/rc.local (before the "exit 0" line).
Code:
# set network card to listen for Magic Packets
ethtool -s eth0 wol g

5. Reboot your system before testing.

Note: This is the list of options for waking with WOL:
p Wake on phy activity
u Wake on unicast messages
m Wake on multicast messages
b Wake on broadcast messages
a Wake on ARP
g Wake on MagicPacket™
s Enable SecureOn™ password for MagicPacket™
d Disable (wake on nothing). This option clears all previous options.

This is all that was needed on my HP N36L server but on my Acer Revo 3610 I found that in the BIOS, I had to enable WOL but also disable the option for "allow deep power off" (something like that) - the option under WOL.