Kodi Community Forum
Standard AVCHD m2ts files play with glitches - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Windows (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=59)
+---- Thread: Standard AVCHD m2ts files play with glitches (/showthread.php?tid=128053)

Pages: 1 2

Standard AVCHD m2ts files play with glitches - Streamerke - 2012-04-07

Hi,

Footage taken with my Panasonic SD900 plays with jerky and with glitches. The m2ts files however were created with Sony Vegas and are the product of encoding, so there is no relationship anymore with the raw footage. To be sure I muxed the files again using TSMuxer but the result is exactly the same.

The files play on any other compatibel device or software: VLS media player, Media Player Classic, Popcorn Hour, PS3 (if renamed mpg), ... I am on the last release of XBMC: Eden 11.0 beta 3. I think there is definitely a codec problem in XBMC here. I can upload a file if required. Who can help?

Regards

RE: Standard AVCHD m2ts files play with glitches - Streamerke - 2012-04-07

No-one has info?

RE: Standard AVCHD m2ts files play with glitches - Streamerke - 2012-04-08

No-one has this problem and no-one takes an interest? Is a media center not supposed to play home movies? Strange...

Well, I did another test, this time with Corel Video Studio X5. This program can both smart render and encode. The output of the smart render process cannot be played well either however the behaviour is different. The movies play well untill the first transition to the next clip (the place where the video was trimmed). From that point on the video hangs and starts jumping a frame forward and backward.

Again, the output plays well on VLC Media player etc. Not in XBMC.

Am I wasting my time here asking for help?

RE: Standard AVCHD m2ts files play with glitches - bluray - 2012-04-08

Not enough info for any of us to offer solution-

Hardware- cpu, gpu, etc
software- OS, driver, etc

RE: Standard AVCHD m2ts files play with glitches - DDDamian - 2012-04-08

Sounds like messed up video, but if VLC plays it (which is based on ffmpeg) then XBMC might do better at now that the latest ffmpeg version has been merged into master. However you'll need to build it yourself or wait for nightlies to resume as the merge was held off until after Eden, and has just happened.

RE: Standard AVCHD m2ts files play with glitches - Streamerke - 2012-04-09

Video is certainly not messed up, besides I can create 2 different kinds of problematic behaviour with the same footage depending on the way I edited and processed the video. I now found out that the raw footage straight from the camera plays fine.

Hardware:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450 @ 2.66Ghz
GPU: Nvidea Geforce 9600 GS

Software:

Windows Vista SP2 64 bit
GPU Driver: I tried the very latest GeForce 9600 GS Driver v.296.10 WHQL

I am in the process of testing before I migrate from my current Popcorn Hour solution to a PC based XBMC which is why I installed the latest drivers etc. It is here that I came across the seemingly problematic support of AVCHD files. I rolled back to the original version of the GPU driver just to make sure that the driver update was not causing this problem. The version of the GPU driver does not seem to affect the problem.

RE: Standard AVCHD m2ts files play with glitches - Ned Scott - 2012-04-09

debug logs (wiki) and sample files will help to understand the issue.

RE: Standard AVCHD m2ts files play with glitches - bluray - 2012-04-09

@streamerke-

You can try these simple configurations-

1. Set power option in W7 control panel to "high performance"- make a full use of your powerful Q9450
2. Enable DXVA2 using DXVA render method and disable everything else in XBMC settings/videos/playback

Hi,

I enabled DXVA2, in fact I did it earlier as a test showed that some high bitrate HD movies were played with some judder. After enabling DXVA2 everything is as smooth as can be. After all my testing is done I will reinstall my system to be used as media center. Then I need to install the latest Nvidea drivers. I already tested them. The problem reported here is a bit better but not much. I rolled back to the old version of the driver.

Anyway, I created a debug log and I uploaded test footage. The link is here for everyone to download: http://wtrns.fr/nJOJgAAg1PCddqZ

I hope this problem gets solved. This is the only showstopper left. I have experimented with Handbrake to convert the home movies that do not play well in XBMC but the result is not the same quality. I will continue testing in that area as well but I sure hope that one day I can just play my home movies in XBMC.

RE: Standard AVCHD m2ts files play with glitches - bluray - 2012-04-09

(2012-04-09, 17:54)Streamerke Wrote: Hi,

I enabled DXVA2, in fact I did it earlier as a test showed that some high bitrate HD movies were played with some judder. After enabling DXVA2 everything is as smooth as can be. After all my testing is done I will reinstall my system to be used as media center. Then I need to install the latest Nvidea drivers. I already tested them. The problem reported here is a bit better but not much. I rolled back to the old version of the driver.

Anyway, I created a debug log and I uploaded test footage. The link is here for everyone to download: http://wtrns.fr/nJOJgAAg1PCddqZ

I hope this problem gets solved. This is the only showstopper left. I have experimented with Handbrake to convert the home movies that do not play well in XBMC but the result is not the same quality. I will continue testing in that area as well but I sure hope that one day I can just play my home movies in XBMC.
Have you select DXVA as Render Method instead of Auto? Have you set power option in W7 control panel to "high performance"?

I did put DXVA as render method, I will check the high performance setting. I have got Vista, not W7. Is this in the power/energy settings that I need to check?

Edit: I installed XBMC on a laptop and tried to play the same files. Same problem here...

Did you play the file I uploaded?

RE: Standard AVCHD m2ts files play with glitches - Ned Scott - 2012-04-10

Tried your test file and it plays flawlessly on my 2009 Macbook Pro (2.8 GHz Core 2 duo), Mac OS X 10.7.3. No dropped frames, using CPU decoding.

Tried it on my ATV1, which is an Intel Pentium M, running a custom Linux build and using a Broadcom Crystal HD decoder, which normally plays everything I throw at it, and it stuttered like mad.

I'm guessing that hardware decoding is messing up, or it may even be limited to specific types of hardware decoding. CPU decoding should work, though. In other words, XBMC is trying to use hardware decoding when it shouldn't.

RE: Standard AVCHD m2ts files play with glitches - bluray - 2012-04-10

(2012-04-09, 23:01)Streamerke Wrote: I did put DXVA as render method, I will check the high performance setting. I have got Vista, not W7. Is this in the power/energy settings that I need to check?
My kid laptop playback is not smooth with Power Saver and Balanced, but playback very smooth with High Performance power option. You can use this guide for Vista- Set Power Options to High Performance.

Can you try to disable "Adjust display refresh rate to match video" and "Sync playback to display" too?

RE: Standard AVCHD m2ts files play with glitches - Streamerke - 2012-04-10

Hi,

I narrowed down the problem now!

- I changed the energy settings to "High performance" => No impact whatsoever.
- Rendering method => I can choose what I want but it does not affect the problem in any way
- I installed the latest Geforce drivers again => improvement but problem not gone

THEN I simply disabled the "Allow hardware acceleration (DXVA2)" setting in XBMC => Problem GONE!

Apparently this setting is activated by default, I cannot remember setting it.

OK, this makes me very happy as I can now play my home movies. I am wondering though what the problem really is. Does XBMC not work well with the Nvidea drivers. This seems to be the case as different versions of the drivers cause different kinds of behaviour. I think I want to use handware acceleration to get the best out of my system, right?

RE: Standard AVCHD m2ts files play with glitches - Ned Scott - 2012-04-10

Hardware acceleration just means your CPU doesn't have to work as hard. As far as quality goes, CPU decoding tends to be a little better on average, mostly because CPU/software decoding can be more forgiving of video formats that have quirks. More or less.

If the CPU can handle it, then I wouldn't worry much about hardware decoding being enabled. CPU decoding will use more battery power on a laptop, though.