Kodi Community Forum
Delete Movie folder when deleting a movie from xbmc. - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Feature Requests (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: Delete Movie folder when deleting a movie from xbmc. (/showthread.php?tid=128963)

Pages: 1 2 3

Delete Movie folder when deleting a movie from xbmc. - PatrickBateman - 2012-04-15

Hi,

Just found out this is not the case, and therefore this behaviour has left me with many orphaned folders under my movies parent directory.

These folders contain hundreds of megs of fanart, posters, nfos, thumbs, actor thumbs etc as I've been deleting movies via xbmc.

As ive just unfrtuently found out, xbmc doesnt actually delete the folder and all the Info pertaining to said movie (when you delete the file via xbmc) it jut removes the avi but leaves every single other piece of Info related to that movie and offers you no means to remove it?

If this can be added as a feature "remove movie from library" - "delete file (this can not be undone) - "delete folder"

Or a plugin that runs and checks for folders with no movies and offers you a way to delete them.

Or a switch in the settings that allows us to chose between deleting the movie file or the folder the movie file resides in Smile

Here's hoping.

Cheers,
Pat~

Delete Movie folder when deleting a movie from xbmc. - DLeavy - 2012-04-15

It isn't necessary for each movie to be in its own folder. Ultimately, XBMC doesn't create the folder structures of your sources, so I'm not sure if giving XBMC this ability makes sense.

Perhaps a plugin to manage files/folders would be a better fit?

RE: Delete Movie folder when deleting a movie from xbmc. - Martijn - 2012-04-15

I would totally support this Big Grin

XBMC could detect if there's only one movie in that folder and if so remove the folder

RE: Delete Movie folder when deleting a movie from xbmc. - pgoeri - 2012-04-15

I would appreciate this feature as well.

At the moment I'm regularly sorting my folders by size to find all "empty" movie directories. *annoying*

RE: Delete Movie folder when deleting a movie from xbmc. - PatrickBateman - 2012-04-16

(2012-04-15, 13:42)DLeavy Wrote: It isn't necessary for each movie to be in its own folder. Ultimately, XBMC doesn't create the folder structures of your sources, so I'm not sure if giving XBMC this ability makes sense.

Perhaps a plugin to manage files/folders would be a better fit?

Hi,
It makes sense as an option to the user when requesting "remove movie from database" for those of us with a structure as follows:

D:\My Movies\Avatar (2010)\Avatar (2010).mkv

As in this folder xbmc will place, artwork, nfo, fanart, extra fanart (courtesy of the lovely Martijn above) posters, covers and also trailers.

This means my folder for any given movie can contain 200mb of additional data. Soooo....

When I watch a movie and decide to remove it, xbmc asks me if I wish to delete the movie, I say yes, why is it not then logical to ask me if I wish to delete the folder this movie resides in (as I specified my file structure when scraping) or at least other files with the same name (for those who don't have this type of file structure) to ensure thy don't get drives cluttered up with data for movies they no longer have.

I removed 50 files from my data base and xbmc left over 10GB of orphaned files and folders on my NAS. That's not a great solution for anyone with a large movie collection. I was lucky I noticed it, and I'm lucky I only have a relitively modest movie collection... Some users on here have thousands of movies managed via xbmc.

Hopefully this will be implemented into xbmc or a plugin could be created to cater for this anomaly.

<looks at Martijn> Smile Rofl

Delete Movie folder when deleting a movie from xbmc. - DLeavy - 2012-04-16

Yeah, I guess as long as its tightly controlled. I'd hate for someone to have some strange folder setup and accidentally delete something it shouldn't.

It'd work well for my setup. I have each movie in a folder of the same name and a .tbn, .nfo and .jpg file with all the same names as well. If the logic would know to delete the extra files with the same name and then check if the folder is empty, then go ahead and remove it.

I don't use extra fanart or trailers, but assuming they are easily identifiable too, then I think it a good idea.

RE: Delete Movie folder when deleting a movie from xbmc. - PatrickBateman - 2012-04-17

(2012-04-15, 13:55)Martijn Wrote: I would totally support this Big Grin

XBMC could detect if there's only one movie in that folder and if so remove the folder

Martijn, would it be possible for this to be created via a xbmc plugin.

For example,
A plugin that searches our movie sources for movie folders, checks insode the folder for list of predifined extensions.

If no extension exists the plugin will bring back a list of folders that appear to have no avi extension etc contained within (much like how missing movie scanner works for database checks) and then offers us an option to delete these folders or add a new file extension etc.

We could run this periodically or with/at the same time as your awesome artwork downloader?

Artwork downloader option:
"while checking for artwork, I noticed that "X" folders contained 0 movie file extensions. Here is a list of those folders.

Do you wish to ... ignore... delete... remove etc etc?

That would be a sweet option for keeping things very clean an upto date ...

Is that possible?

RE: Delete Movie folder when deleting a movie from xbmc. - simonk83 - 2012-05-02

Fairly new to XBMC (thank you Raspberry Pi) but I've been using a Boxee Box up until now, and it's always annoyed me (coming from a PopcornHour before that) that you can't delete your stuff after you've watched it.

I assumed XBMC would definitely have that functionality (as the PCH did), but after reading this thread, apparently not) Smile

I'd love for this to be included somehow (even if it's just a plugin as mentioned above).

Thanks!!

RE: Delete Movie folder when deleting a movie from xbmc. - jmarshall - 2012-05-02

It does have it, it just doesn't delete the folder (and other stuff you might have in that folder) when you delete the movie.

RE: Delete Movie folder when deleting a movie from xbmc. - simonk83 - 2012-05-02

(2012-05-02, 06:06)jmarshall Wrote: It does have it, it just doesn't delete the folder (and other stuff you might have in that folder) when you delete the movie.

Well, yeah, but I don't really consider that a complete solution (same as the fellas above). I'd have thought it'd delete the whole folder (assuming you have your movies in their own folders, which I do, but I guess you can't really assume that for everyone). A simple setting in there though to indicate that you have your folders structured that way would allow XBMC to just remove the whole folder I'd have thought. With sufficient warnings first obviously Smile

RE: Delete Movie folder when deleting a movie from xbmc. - jmarshall - 2012-05-02

"but I guess you can't really assume that for everyone"

Yup, that's the exact reason it aint in. You just have to look at the forums for the number of people that get the "Movies in separate folders named after the movie" setting wrong.

(2012-05-02, 06:31)jmarshall Wrote: "but I guess you can't really assume that for everyone"

Yup, that's the exact reason it aint in. You just have to look at the forums for the number of people that get the "Movies in separate folders named after the movie" setting wrong.

Heh, that's totally fair enough Smile Still, a plugin would be nice for those that want the functionality. I would have thought the majority of people have their movies in individual folders, but maybe I'm in the minority afterall Big Grin

RE: Delete Movie folder when deleting a movie from xbmc. - mad-max - 2012-05-02

There is a laready a ticket for it as vdrfan and I were speaking about it in our German community...
See here for ticket:
http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/12227

RE: Delete Movie folder when deleting a movie from xbmc. - simonk83 - 2012-05-04

Thinking about this some more, you're right, it's more complicated than it sounds (although, only a bit I guess) Smile

For MOVIES, I'd want the whole folder deleting, as I wouldn't be using that folder again.

For TV SHOWS, I'd only want the actual file deleting, as chances are that folder (and metadata) would be used again for another episode.

Still, a pop up asking what you want to delete would solve all this I guess.

RE: Delete Movie folder when deleting a movie from xbmc. - komarto - 2012-05-05

(2012-05-02, 16:58)mad-max Wrote: There is a laready a ticket for it as vdrfan and I were speaking about it in our German community...
See here for ticket:
http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/12227

Hi,

According to the ticket will this be implemented in version 12?

Thanks.