Kodi Community Forum
Media Companion 3 beta's - Now with Music Video support - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Supplementary Tools for Kodi (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=116)
+--- Thread: Media Companion 3 beta's - Now with Music Video support (/showthread.php?tid=129134)

RE: Media Companion 3 beta's - Now with Music Video support - Usafle - 2019-02-20

I've got some "issues" which are probably created by me and not the fault of the program.  I change movies.... a lot.  What I mean is that I will have a Web-DL copy and then I'll "buy" a BluRay copy and then either a 4K or a REMUX.  The program gets all sorts of messed up since I'm constantly changing the quality of the video file.  I have about 4 duplicate entries for certain movies in the list.  I've tried to remove the movie folders that I have set up to scan, thinking it would clear the cache and then re-add the movie folders, but the same issue presents itself, duplicate entries.  I will highlight all the duplicates, select "rescrape all" the duplicates will disappear but will re-appear on the next loading of the program.  
I've also have movies that are listed, that have been "changed" and the entries are blank as well.  No matter what I do, I can't get them to show up in the program.  Trying to rescrape these missing movies will result in an application crash.  Trying to open the folder from within the program results in an application crash, etc..etc.

Also, where in the heck is the option to disable the movies from being put into collection folders?  I thought I had found that particular option (I don't want collection folders) but a rescrape caused movies to be placed into collection folders again... lol

RE: Media Companion 3 beta's - Now with Music Video support - koldtoft - 2019-02-20

(2019-02-20, 16:55)huttdes Wrote: Great to finally see a Kodi tutorial video not related to piracy!!
Going though and cleaning a decent sized library so I think I will definitely benefit from your videos at this time.

While I knew most of this I did learn some things from your video. I never had any API keys entered... how does this benefit me as opposed to just letting MC3 scrape like normal?

I've used different media managers over the years and want to get this all finalized at this time...

One thing I noticed after looking through my folders is for most of my movies I have duplicate disc art files.... one is disc.png and the other discart.png ... you only have discart.png. I know for sure the disc.png files I've been getting for many years... MC3 must have added the discart.png files. Has this been changed to the preferred naming structure? Should I delete all the disc.png files?
 Other thing I notice I have is in addition to poster and fanart png's... I also have <movie title>-fanart and poster files. I have both so that can't hurt but is there a preferred name?
Also even though my movies are all in individual folders my nfo's  are titled <movie title>.nfo instead of movie.nfo.... once again, any reason to choose one over the other?

Thanks, looking forward the upcoming videos.

Thank you for the feedback and the questions.

I am not sure where your other files are coming from, but the proper naming convention that works in Kodi is

Example:

Folder 1: extrafanart
fanart0.jpg
fanart1.jpg
fanart2.jpg
And so on as many as you like

Folder 2: extrathumbs
thumb0.jpg
thumb1.jpg
thumb2.jpg

And in the root folder called "The Dark Knight (2008)"
The Dark Knight (2008).mkv
poster.jpg
logo.png
fanart.jpg
disc.png
clearlogo.png
clearart.png
banner.jpg
movie.nfo

The files named movie-clearlogo.png and so on can be deleted.

As for the API key
You need them for getting lots of fanart and metadata quickly, as well as some content that you can only get with an API key like Rotten Tomatoes critics and audience scores, number of votes. When you enter the API keys you get loads more options for artwork in Media Companion.

RE: Media Companion 3 beta's - Now with Music Video support - huttdes - 2019-02-20

If I go to the fanart.tv tab and click on each selection it shows me my current artwork on the left as well as all options on the right.
As for the fanart tab it shows my fanart stored in the main movie folder on the right and the download selections on the left... any way to actually show all the 'extra' fanart I have in my extra fanart folder to make it easier to delete or swap out?

RE: Media Companion 3 beta's - Now with Music Video support - huttdes - 2019-02-20

(2019-02-20, 17:38)koldtoft Wrote:
(2019-02-20, 16:55)huttdes Wrote: Great to finally see a Kodi tutorial video not related to piracy!!
Going though and cleaning a decent sized library so I think I will definitely benefit from your videos at this time.

While I knew most of this I did learn some things from your video. I never had any API keys entered... how does this benefit me as opposed to just letting MC3 scrape like normal?

I've used different media managers over the years and want to get this all finalized at this time...

One thing I noticed after looking through my folders is for most of my movies I have duplicate disc art files.... one is disc.png and the other discart.png ... you only have discart.png. I know for sure the disc.png files I've been getting for many years... MC3 must have added the discart.png files. Has this been changed to the preferred naming structure? Should I delete all the disc.png files?
 Other thing I notice I have is in addition to poster and fanart png's... I also have <movie title>-fanart and poster files. I have both so that can't hurt but is there a preferred name?
Also even though my movies are all in individual folders my nfo's  are titled <movie title>.nfo instead of movie.nfo.... once again, any reason to choose one over the other?

Thanks, looking forward the upcoming videos.

Thank you for the feedback and the questions.

I am not sure where your other files are coming from, but the proper naming convention that works in Kodi is

Example:Folder 1: extrafanart
fanart0.jpg
fanart1.jpg
fanart2.jpg

thumb0.jpg
thumb1.jpg
thumb2.jpg

And in the root folder called "The Dark Knight (2008)"
poster.jpg
logo.png
fanart.jpg
disc.png
clearlogo.png
clearart.png
banner.jpg
movie.nfo

The files named movie-clearlogo.png and so on can be deleted.

As for the API key
You need them for getting lots of fanart and metadata quickly, as well as some content that you can only get with an API key like Rotten Tomatoes critics and audience scores, number of votes. When you enter the API keys you get loads more options for artwork in Media Companion. 
Well, I used MediaElch for some time before switching to MC3 so that is probably where all my different files came from. I can eliminate the clutter delete the <moviename>-poster/fanart.jpg easy enough along with the discart.png files.

However, replacing 900+ nfo files doesn't sound like fun. Any reason for me to be concerned about this? I mean everything works fine in Kodi but I'd like to make it as future proof as possible.

Any idea as to a timeline for your follow up videos?

RE: Media Companion 3 beta's - Now with Music Video support - chrissix666 - 2019-02-20

(2019-02-20, 10:44)koldtoft Wrote: I have made a step by step video tutorial on how to add movies in Media Companion 3.5 so they show up with Rotten Tomatoes scores and IMDB ratings in KODI and I would greatly appreciate any feedback or criticism you may have.

I watched your video carefully. Really amazing. I also wanted to make a tutorial video, but I do not have enough self-confidence to comment.

But I have to make you aware of 2 things.
The naming convention for the .nfo file and the artworks are still supported (by Local Information Only Scraper and ArtworkBeef, ...) but it is the legacy method from the origins.
Look:
Point 2 https://kodi.wiki/view/NFO_files/Movies -> movie.nfo to [media base file name].[nfo]
Point 1.10 https://kodi.wiki/view/Movie_artwork -> artwork.ext to [media base file name]-[art type].[ext]

As I said it is still supported but Legacy. Ever since Kodi 18, I have been encountering members who have had some problems with it. I then had to recommend Bulk Rename Utility to them and everything went well again.
https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/issues/15463

____
Quote:And in the root folder called "The Dark Knight (2008)"
poster.jpg
logo.png
fanart.jpg
disc.png
clearlogo.png
clearart.png
banner.jpg
movie.nfo

Nope, it's the opposite, as i said, this is legacy.
Quote:Folder 1: extrafanart
fanart0.jpg
fanart1.jpg
fanart2.jpg

thumb0.jpg
thumb1.jpg
thumb2.jpg

Nope, convention says fanart0-9.jpg and thumb0-9.jpg
The files in the skin are called via <control type="multiimage"> when random set to false it's strong integer.
When using this with fanart0-10 for example, then integer is 1,10,2,3...
Thats why it's starts with 0 and not 1, to get 10 but be still strong integer.

______

@huttdes 
Quote:I can eliminate the clutter delete the <moviename>-poster/fanart.jpg easy enough along with the discart.png files.

However, replacing 900+ nfo files doesn't sound like fun. Any reason for me to be concerned about this? I mean everything works fine in Kodi but I'd like to make it as future proof as possible.
As i said, when you removing the moviebasefilename you're switching to the legacy method.
With Bulk Rename Utility i renamed my 2000 entries with in a few minutes.

(2019-02-20, 17:50)chrissix Wrote: @huttdes 
Quote:I can eliminate the clutter delete the <moviename>-poster/fanart.jpg easy enough along with the discart.png files.

As i said, when you removing the moviebasefilename you're switching to the legacy method.
With Bulk Rename Utility i renamed my 2000 entries with in a few minutes.  
 So you're actually saying the more current method is to have the movie title precede EVERY artwork type as well as naming the nfo <movietitle>.nfo?

RE: Media Companion 3 beta's - Now with Music Video support - chrissix666 - 2019-02-20

(2019-02-20, 18:15)huttdes Wrote: So you're actually saying the more current method is to have the movie title precede EVERY artwork type as well as naming the nfo <movietitle>.nfo?
If you really want to be futureproof - yes
Quote:Point 2 NFO_files/Movies (wiki) -> movie.nfo to [media base file name].[nfo]
Point 1.10 Movie_artwork (wiki) -> artwork.ext to [media base file name]-[art type].[ext]

EDIT: If you want to load artwork in your skins you also have to work with ArtworkBeef, there is still support for both, but generally designed as i descriped, take a look in the wiki:
https://rmrector.github.io/script.artwork.beef/usage/fromfiles/

(2019-02-20, 18:19)chrissix Wrote:
(2019-02-20, 18:15)huttdes Wrote: So you're actually saying the more current method is to have the movie title precede EVERY artwork type as well as naming the nfo <movietitle>.nfo?

If you really want to be futureproof - yes
Quote:Point 2 NFO_files/Movies (wiki) -> movie.nfo to [media base file name].[nfo]
Point 1.10 Movie_artwork (wiki) -> artwork.ext to [media base file name]-[art type].[ext]
 I've never used Bulk File Rename but I've used a program called Better File Rename for a long time.
Unless there are some tricks with the program I would have to do a step for each artwork individually as such.
banner.jpg for example
Search and add every banner file.
Add the folder name to the beginning. The hyphen would require an extra command for example replacing banner to -banner

I could do all the artwork in 5 minutes with this method.... just curious if there is a way to add the folder name to the beginning plus the hyphen eliminating the second step replacing banner with -banner.

No big deal either way as the added time is only seconds.
I just really don't ever want to do this again if possible.

Also if doing this I would have to alter a couple settings from Koldtoft's video for future movies.

@huttdes 

make a test folder... try a little bit around how it works.
Then in just really takes only a few minutes all is done.

2 checkmarks in Media Companion and 1 checkmark in ArtworkBeef

RE: Media Companion 3 beta's - Now with Music Video support - koldtoft - 2019-02-20

(2019-02-20, 17:40)huttdes Wrote: If I go to the fanart.tv tab and click on each selection it shows me my current artwork on the left as well as all options on the right.
As for the fanart tab it shows my fanart stored in the main movie folder on the right and the download selections on the left... any way to actually show all the 'extra' fanart I have in my extra fanart folder to make it easier to delete or swap out?

I used TinyMediaManager for this, as I found it much faster to go through lots of movies with their UI. But I think it may have a bit fewer artwork options.

(2019-02-20, 17:48)huttdes Wrote: Well, I used MediaElch for some time before switching to MC3 so that is probably where all my different files came from. I can eliminate the clutter delete the <moviename>-poster/fanart.jpg easy enough along with the discart.png files.

Followup video should come no later than next week. I will be issuing some corrections for this video in that as well. (as I am still learning too). Make sure to read the comments from @"chrissix" before you delete anything. I just assumed the names I was using was the right ones, as they worked for me. 

(2019-02-20, 17:50)chrissix Wrote: I watched your video carefully. Really amazing. I also wanted to make a tutorial video, but I do not have enough self-confidence to comment.

The naming convention for the .nfo file and the artworks are still supported (by Local Information Only Scraper and ArtworkBeef, ...) but it is the legacy method from the origins.
Look:
Point 2 NFO_files/Movies(wiki) -> movie.nfo to [media base file name].[nfo]
Point 1.10 Movie_artwork(wiki) -> artwork.ext to [media base file name]-[art type].[ext]

As I said it is still supported but Legacy. Ever since Kodi 18, I have been encountering members who have had some problems with it. I then had to recommend Bulk Rename Utility to them and everything went well again.

Thank you so much. I will be sure to issue updates to my video, to make sure the proper naming conventions are followed. I will also read the guides you linked.

Thanks again for the feedback.

RE: Media Companion 3 beta's - Now with Music Video support - the_bo - 2019-02-20

@"chrissix" 
@huttdes 

I believe you don't need to have the movie title precede EVERY artwork type if your movies are in separate folders

As it states in the wiki https://kodi.wiki/view/Movie_artwork#Local_movie_artwork

There is also a short name "<arttype>.<ext>" that can be used if your movie source folder is configured with Movies are in separate folders that match the movie title, but the long name "<movie file name>-<arttype>.<ext>" still takes precedence.

If your movies are all in one folder (not good to do) then you need the prefix to distinguish each movie

(2019-02-20, 18:55)the_bo Wrote: I believe you don't need to have the movie title precede EVERY artwork type if your movies are in separate folders

As it states in the wiki https://kodi.wiki/view/Movie_artwork#Loc...ie_artworkThere is also a short name "<arttype>.<ext>" that can be used if your movie source folder is configured with Movies are in separate folders that match the movie title, but the long name "<movie file name>-<arttype>.<ext>" still takes precedence.

If your movies are all in one folder (not good to do) then you need the prefix to distinguish each movie

sure you're right. both is possible... only talked about "future proof", state of the art and precedence...
also including moviebasefilename is mentioned first in kodi & artworkbeef wiki's
just mentioned a few members had problems getting their setup to work in kodi 18 with legacy method especially when on Server/Nas Systems.

https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/issues/15463

(2019-02-20, 18:41)chrissix Wrote: @huttdes 

make a test folder... try a little bit around how it works.
Then in just really takes only a few minutes all is done.

2 checkmarks in Media Companion and 1 checkmark in ArtworkBeef
 That program looks like it may have a few more options... I can do this with Better File Rename it will just take that one extra command but I still may try out Bulk Rename Utility.

**2 checkmarks in Media Companion and 1 checkmark in ArtworkBeef

Huh

(2019-02-20, 18:54)koldtoft Wrote:
(2019-02-20, 17:40)huttdes Wrote: If I go to the fanart.tv tab and click on each selection it shows me my current artwork on the left as well as all options on the right.

I used TinyMediaManager for this, as I found it much faster to go through lots of movies with their UI. But I think it may have a bit fewer artwork options.

(2019-02-20, 17:48)huttdes Wrote: Well, I used MediaElch for some time before switching to MC3 so that is probably where all my different files came from. I can eliminate the clutter delete the <moviename>-poster/fanart.jpg easy enough along with the discart.png files.

Followup video should come no later than next week. I will be issuing some corrections for this video in that as well. (as I am still learning too). Make sure to read the comments from @"chrissix" before you delete anything. I just assumed the names I was using was the right ones, as they worked for me. 

(2019-02-20, 17:50)chrissix Wrote: I watched your video carefully. Really amazing. I also wanted to make a tutorial video, but I do not have enough self-confidence to comment.

Look:
Point 2 NFO_files/Movies(wiki) -> movie.nfo to [media base file name].[nfo]
Point 1.10 Movie_artwork(wiki) -> artwork.ext to [media base file name]-[art type].[ext]

Thank you so much. I will be sure to issue updates to my video, to make sure the proper naming conventions are followed. I will also read the guides you linked.

Thanks again for the feedback. 
I have TMM as well. I mainly used it for music but I'll check it out for the fanart.
Following chrissix guidelines one change would be ticking the box in the artwork tab for 'Save Fanart.TV artwork as <moviename>-artwork
Not sure where the option for this for poster and fanart?
Also didn't see any mention of movie sets in your video... I wanted to get artwork setup for this as well... wasn't sure of the best route.

(2019-02-20, 18:55)the_bo Wrote: @"chrissix" 
@huttdes 

I believe you don't need to have the movie title precede EVERY artwork type if your movies are in separate folders

As it states in the wiki https://kodi.wiki/view/Movie_artwork#Local_movie_artworkThere is also a short name "<arttype>.<ext>" that can be used if your movie source folder is configured with Movies are in separate folders that match the movie title, but the long name "<movie file name>-<arttype>.<ext>" still takes precedence.

Well, that is how my setup currently is and I don't seem to have issues.
Although like I mentioned earlier that for poster/fanart I had both.

I'm just doing a massive update here and after years of tinkering with this I want it to be the last time!! So if there is a benefit to making the artwork change now or for the future I'll just do it for the minimal effort it will take.