Kodi Community Forum
Media Companion 3 beta's - Now with Music Video support - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Supplementary Tools for Kodi (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=116)
+--- Thread: Media Companion 3 beta's - Now with Music Video support (/showthread.php?tid=129134)

RE: Media Companion 3 beta's - Now with Music Video support - MonSoon12 - 2019-03-11

(2019-03-10, 23:15)vbat99 Wrote:
(2019-03-10, 21:29)JanM201 Wrote: Hi @vbat99 
What does this setting do? "disable legacy ratings/vote tags"
Can you just explain a little what legacy is.
Thanks
In Kodi before version 17, in the movie and TV nfo file was the tag 'ratings' and the tag 'votes '
These are our Legacy entries, as from Kodi 17 we now have the entry 'rating', with sub entries for ratings and votes from IMDb, tmdb and Rotten Tomatoes.

Some users wish these old Legacy tags to be removed, with that option selected those tags will no longer be saved to movie, TV and episode nfo files. 
Thanks for explaining this. I didn't pay attention to this change in Kodi.

RE: Media Companion 3 beta's - Now with Music Video support - huttdes - 2019-03-11

(2019-03-11, 05:42)chrissix Wrote: Image
 Thank you, that worked great... unfortunately its all a bunch of junk.
If it got artwork for the movies at all its generally not actual thumbs from the movie.
More like poster art... then not even all different. Many duplicates in multiple languages.
In @koldtoft You Tube video he had really nice thumbs for all of these... Not sure if he acquired them a different way or not...
Here is one example of what it gave me...

RE: Media Companion 3 beta's - Now with Music Video support - chrissix666 - 2019-03-11

(2019-03-11, 19:14)huttdes Wrote: ... unfortunately its all a bunch of junk.

You call it junk, I would rather call it the artwork type "Movie Thumb" in fanart.tv, in kodi it's a own artwork type called "landscape".

You should learn a bit more about the artwork types that exist, there are not many:
https://kodi.wiki/view/Movie_artwork#Movie_artwork
Besides, you should deal with something more with the sources you are referring to, there are only 2 sources
https://fanart.tv/
https://www.themoviedb.org/

But I have thereby discovered something I have not noticed yet when using fanart.tv as source, because I use as extrafanart/extrathumb source tmdb.

If in MC select TMDB as extrafanart/extrathumb as source (my setting) you get
Extrafanart get from the called "BACKDROPS" from TMDB
Extrathumbs also get from the called "BACKDROPS" from TMDB 
...in fact you get one to one the same content in Extrafanart and Extrathumbs folder

If in MC select fanart.tv as extrafanart/extrathumb as source (your setting) you get
Extrafanart get from the called "BACKGROUND" from fanart.tv
Extrathumbs get from the called "MOVIE THUMBS" from fanart.tv

A "(extra)thumb" to what Team Kodi understands and a "MOVIE THUMB" to what fanart.tv understands are different things.
At kodi it is actually thought that thumbs are screenshots from the movie (contrary to fanart artwork)
At fanart.tv the "MOVIE THUMBS" are in kodi are the actual artwork type "landscape"

The whole system is everything else perfect and was never completely thought out:
TMDB mixes "fanarts" and "thumbs" (which kodi means) -> called "BACKDROPS"
Fanart.tv has only "fanarts" and no "thumbs" (which kodi understands) ... because as I said, what in fanart.tv is a "MOVIE THUMB", in kodi it is a "LANDSCAPE"

When you change the source to TMDB you get better thumb results in your extrathumb folder (same content as in extrafanart folder)
Ben then you also get worse results to your extrafanart folder (cause in TMDB fanarts and thumbs are mixed)

As I said, the whole is and has always been a bit spongy. It is also not an own artwork type in kodi and has never really been integrated directly. The simple integration is done only in the skins with a very primitive code, and get content was, as far as I know, only possible via Media Manager. But even a media manager can not work miracles if there are no real sources or no way to filter the content ->
TMDB -> thumbs mixed with fanarts
FANART.TV -> only fanarts, what they call thumbs are landscape.jpg

Everything about extrathumbs is still in the kodi wiki, but it has a reason why no skin actually uses it anymore and it completely disappeared in the Kodi18 skins. The trend is to treat all available Artworks as own artwork type in kodi and extrathumbs is not an artwork type.

I also use extrathumbs myself, but had to rewrite small things in the skin and also on each scrape to rework something that it is usable, but quite frankly it is actually not worth the effort.

I use TMDB as source, that means I get the same content in the extrafanart and extrathumbs folder.
(As you know, TMDB has more content for poor quality and a lot of double, and fanart.tv less content for better quality)
After the scrape I manually go to fanart.tv, copy the better fanarts i want in the extrafanart folder manual over it, delete doubles and poor quality manual.
Then i go to extrathumbs, delete fanart, doubles and landscape files (they are all horrible mixed on tmdb) and I leave only 4 files left that are a thumb - rename it manualy thumb0-3.jpg - you can also choose and sort them in MC!
(Although the wiki has thumb0-9.jpg, I have not yet seen a skin that uses more than 4 thumbs (thumb0-3.jpg).

I also had to change a small code in the skins, unfortunately, the skins do not support to the kodi naming convention. Most listen to thumb1,2,3,4.
But according to convention and also in MC are thumb0,1,2,3

Leave a thumbup if I could help you, and as I said, extrathumbs sine actually as good as dead.

RE: Media Companion 3 beta's - Now with Music Video support - huttdes - 2019-03-12

(2019-03-11, 22:10)chrissix Wrote:
(2019-03-11, 19:14)huttdes Wrote: ... unfortunately its all a bunch of junk.

You call it junk, I would rather call it the artwork type "Movie Thumb" in fanart.tv, in kodi it's a own artwork type called "landscape".

You should learn a bit more about the artwork types that exist, there are not many:
https://kodi.wiki/view/Movie_artwork#Movie_artwork
Besides, you should deal with something more wi................ 
 Yo!
Hey, don't think that junk comment meant I wasn't grateful .... just meant with what it scraped it was definitely not usable. If that was my only choice for artwork I would use the fanart version.

Yes, I was set to scrape from Fanart,TV... I'll redo in TMDb and see how it goes.
One way or another I foresee a lot of hours screwing with this just to get that movie view with the 4 thumbs... but I like that view.
I have a feeling I'll be grabbing frames from many of the video files myself.

... I'll let you know how it goes...

RE: Media Companion 3 beta's - Now with Music Video support - Nordo - 2019-03-12

Using latest MC 3.729b.

I have a problem with Home Movies, if anyone can help (tried doing searches on this forum but could find anything related).

I have a Source Folder - D:\Home Movies, and then each home movie has it's own folder.
Problem is that within those folders there are many files i.e. each time you take a video you create a video file.
So, for instance, "Christmas, 2018" might contain 30 video files.

After my initial Search of D:\Home Movies in the main browser, there are hundreds of files listed, as MC is picking them all up separately.
Is there any way MC can just pick up the folders?
i.e. turn off recursive search?

RE: Media Companion 3 beta's - Now with Music Video support - huttdes - 2019-03-12

(2019-03-12, 02:21)Nordo Wrote: Using latest MC 3.729b.

I have a problem with Home Movies, if anyone can help (tried doing searches on this forum but could find anything related).

I have a Source Folder - D:\Home Movies, and then each home movie has it's own folder.
Problem is that within those folders there are many files i.e. each time you take a video you create a video file.

After my initial Search of D:\Home Movies in the main browser, there are hundreds of files listed, as MC is picking them all up separately.
 Not sure how most people are handling home videos but my plan is this at the moment... unless there is a better option in Kodi that I don't know of.
With over 2000 clips from the last 14 years... I plan on editing to a much more manageable number.
For example if  have '30 Christmas' videos from a year like you mentioned I will edit that into one video with chapters.
Once this is done with all of my videos I will have them separated into years... 2004 through 2019 at the moment.
Then I was going to treat them like a TV show with my family name with each year being a season.
2004 will be season 4 and current year 19. I just wont have a first 3 seasons.
Then each event such as holidays, sporting events, parties etc. will be there own episode... custom nfo's, some artwork for each season, thumbnails etc and just have them listed with the TV shows... or make a smart playlist.

Unless Kodi has a better system already in place... I don't know as I have not researched it as of yet... but if it doesn't that is the route I was planning on.

RE: Media Companion 3 beta's - Now with Music Video support - Karellen - 2019-03-12

@huttdes

Kodi does not have a better system in place.

I simply created Custom home items (wiki) and added home movies to the new menu item using nfo files. I don't have the quantity you do. Mine is a more manageable 45 movies.

But if I had your quantity, your plan is exactly how I would do it. I would also create the custom home item to separate it out of the normal tv shows.

RE: Media Companion 3 beta's - Now with Music Video support - vbat99 - 2019-03-12

The above comments are quite good ideas, but another way of doing it would be calling it Christmas 2008 part 1 and then the next one part 2 and so on and so on.
MC will only detect the one Christmas 2008 file comma as these are parts of the same movie you won't get separate nfo files for each one

RE: Media Companion 3 beta's - Now with Music Video support - vbat99 - 2019-03-12

(2019-03-11, 01:13)scott967 Wrote: I've had this problem for a while.  In "home movies" when I do a "search new", if a file name has the "&" character in it MC throws an error in the log "Error - Running action [Assign scraped movie] threw [An error occurred while parsing EntityName. Line 2, position 29.]" and doesn't create an nfo file for it.

scott s.
Thanks, found and fixed this issue. Will be in the next release.

RE: Media Companion 3 beta's - Now with Music Video support - Nordo - 2019-03-12

Thanks guys for the quick replies.

@huttdes What editor do you use to combine the individual video clips into one file?
And what format did you end up with? (i.e. is there a preferred format for Kodi?)
My current files are *.mts; *.mp4 and *.avi

(2019-03-07, 09:38)MonSoon12 Wrote: Hi vbat99,

Thanks for the quick new release. Can confirm no issues with rating or votes when scraping new movies.

I may have come across another issue.
I scraped a new tv show and the ratings and votes do not appear.
I also attempted:
1) To manually add the ratings and votes via right click and they do not save.
2) Manually edit an existing tv show's rating and votes via right click and it wipes out the previous ratings & votes.

This issue seems to effect only the TV show details/information. Still able to scrap votes & ratings for individual episodes.

Rescraping the tv show with the previous version 3.7.2.7, reveals the rating and votes.

Right click manual entry of Ratings or Votes for TV Series and Episodes is fixed, and will be in the next release.

(2019-03-12, 10:15)Nordo Wrote: Thanks guys for the quick replies.

@huttdes What editor do you use to combine the individual video clips into one file?
And what format did you end up with? (i.e. is there a preferred format for Kodi?)
My current files are *.mts; *.mp4 and *.avi
 Well, we are probably getting off topic here but for my editing I'm using Sony Vegas Movie Studio Platinum.
I'm not going to get insanely involved but I want to be able to trim the videos where necessary. Then insert nice transitions between clips... maybe some wipes or fades. Also able to crop or zoom if I would want and the ability to add title slides or text on the video itself. Just be aware that video editors cannot do mkv files. And if you want chapters in your videos that wont be supported in MP4. You will either have to structure like a DVD and export to an ISO file or export to something like MP4 and convert to MKV and add the chapters.

If you don't care about any of that stuff and simply want to combine files... assuming you're combining files of the same type and bitrate you can use MKVtoolNix
Using the append feature this will take all the files and combine them resulting in an mkv file. Fast with no reencoding.
I've used this program countless times for this and for certain downloads that may have a 15 second advertisement at the beginning and/or previews at the end. This can quickly be removed without reencoding the video so no quality loss.

If you have any other questions about it just send me a PM.

RE: Media Companion 3 beta's - Now with Music Video support - Usafle - 2019-03-12

(2019-02-24, 20:04)vbat99 Wrote:
(2019-02-23, 04:37)Usafle Wrote:
(2019-02-22, 22:33)vbat99 Wrote: I would delete all nfo's (nfo's only, not the artwork or actors (why download them again))Do a Refresh All in MC.
Then do a Search for new Movies
I've deleted the NFOs where there were duplicates.  Selected the "Search for new movies" they all came back up duplicate again and one or two of them that are dupes, won't even show anything in the main window of the program.  Not sure what the deal is?

Your other suggestions worked fine however. 

In the General Filter, select Duplicates to show them.
Then go to Table View, Select Columns button, and ensure you have a check against fullpath and filename.
This will show where the duplicate files are and what they are called. 

They all point to the same directories.

RE: Media Companion 3 beta's - Now with Music Video support - chrissix666 - 2019-03-12

There are many opportunities!

I personally do not scrape home videos, but simply use the Kodi file explorer. (I add the folder as videos but scrape nothing)
I do not need more than the file name. You can see in kodi file explorer folder thumbnails in each folder "folder.jpg" is in there.
In addition, I also see the thumbs of the files. You can see without scrape a poster and a fanart of the file if you created one -> filename.ext-fanart, filename.ext-poster (this overrides the thumb)
So if it's purely about the visual (Arts) the scraping from home videos not necessary.

The only benefit you can gain by scraping home videos is that you can add metadata. But most metadata, whether for movies or episodes, are useless for home videos.
  • Yes, you could enter "Release Date" as the recording date.
  • Add text to a plot.
  • tagging
  • Under actors also the people who in the video occur. (So place actor thumbs in .actors folder)
But the rest of the metadata is really only for movies or tvshows useful.
____

If you really want to do the work with home video scraping, there are several ways to solve your mutliple files problem:

--> Cut everything together in a video program. Use chapters. Use it for .mkv. With .mkv you also get accurate MediaTags in most skins. As @huttdes described

--> Create a TvShow as a Home Video Container and use the seasons as a kind of folder structure and place the video files as episodes. As @Karellen  described

--> Scrape the files as a movie, leave them separate and past/copy the .nfo's (change then only the title suffix "part 1 .." or "chapter 1 .."

--> Scrape the files as a movie and use then file stacking (combining of multi parts to one), MC and Kodi is supporting it. As @vbat99 described
      Point 5.1: https://kodi.wiki/view/Naming_video_files/Movies#Split_video_files_.28file_stacking.29

--> Scrape the "main file" as a movie, and put the "subfiles" into the "extras" folder. And use the extras addon.
     or scrape a "fake file" as a movie (e.g. a preview picture converted to a for e.g. 10 sec movie), and put all files into the extras folder.
     https://kodi.wiki/view/Add-on:Special_Features

(Note: You can also use the local trailer function to use a second file under the main file -> filename-trailer.ext)

No matter if you intend to scrape your home videos or just use them in the file explorer, I use the program "VideoThumbnailsMaker" to generate bulk/batch posters and fanart. MediaCompanion can do that also, but not in bulk/batch but one by one.
Then i use Bulk Rename Utility to bulk/batch add -poster and -fanart als suffix.

____

If you scrape as Movie, i would never want Hollywood Movies and Home Movies to appear in the same list.
You can do this by using a skin with customizable home menu.
You can then separate it by creating 2 entries with playlists and a different folder paths are defined in the playlist.
Alternatively, you can also separate with tags. But every Hollywood movie has to have the same tag, and every home movie the same tag.

RE: Media Companion 3 beta's - Now with Music Video support - huttdes - 2019-03-13

Any thoughts as to why my general tab would disappear?