Kodi Community Forum
[Release] Backup (formerly XBMC Backup) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Add-on Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Program Add-ons (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=151)
+---- Thread: [Release] Backup (formerly XBMC Backup) (/showthread.php?tid=129499)

RE: [Release] XBMC Backup - matt77303 - 2012-12-10

ok cool, ive re-installed xbmcbackup via the official repo so i will await an update

Thanks for your help

Matt

RE: [Release] XBMC Backup - robweber - 2012-12-10

(2012-12-10, 20:06)samuk Wrote: Hi Guys,

Can XBMXC backup to a network share?

i get errors when i try to point the location to a smb share?

Thanks

Yes, it's designed to do just that. It uses the same virtual file system as XBMC, so any shares must be written in a format that it recognizes. The easiest way is to use "Browse" mode and just find the share you are looking for. If you are typing it you cannot use the Windows notation of "\\hostname\sharename" you must use the smb:// protocol that XBMC would use (smb://hostname/sharename/)

For more info see the wiki: http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Userdata/sources.xml/Source_types#Generic_Network_Sources

RE: [Release] XBMC Backup - samuk - 2012-12-11

(2012-12-10, 21:02)robweber Wrote:

Thanks

Yes, it's designed to do just that. It uses the same virtual file system as XBMC, so any shares must be written in a format that it recognizes. The easiest way is to use "Browse" mode and just find the share you are looking for. If you are typing it you cannot use the Windows notation of "\\hostname\sharename" you must use the smb:// protocol that XBMC would use (smb://hostname/sharename/)

For more info see the wiki: http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Userdata/sources.xml/Source_types#Generic_Network_Sources

Thanks i will try that..when i browse i do see:

\\ipaddress\Sharename - when i click this it says operation timed out

this is the same ip \ share name i used when adding my video library to xbmc..

will go though it again..

RE: [Release] XBMC Backup - robweber - 2012-12-11

(2012-12-11, 00:30)samuk Wrote:
(2012-12-10, 21:02)robweber Wrote:

Thanks

Thanks i will try that..when i browse i do see:

\\ipaddress\Sharename - when i click this it says operation timed out

this is the same ip \ share name i used when adding my video library to xbmc..

will go though it again..

I stand corrected. In a test on my system both "\\host\share" and "smb://host/share" were writable by XBMC - at least on a windows system anyway.

Where are you seeing the "operation timed out" warning, when browsing for the share or running the backup? You may just need to post a debug log (use pastebin or something, not in the thread please!) to get a better idea of what is happening.

RE: [Release] XBMC Backup - matt77303 - 2012-12-11

Couple of quick requests....

Could there be an option to automatically shut down xbmc once it has done a backup? ie, im using xbmc, go to bed, leave my machine on and at 1am it does a back up and then shuts down the computer?

And could there be aoption to include extra folders? ie. in my userdata folder i have a folder for weather fanart, and cinema experience. Currently these are not being backed up?

Matt

RE: [Release] XBMC Backup - Michi1979 - 2012-12-11

Version 0.3.0 is now in the official Repository available Smile
Now i can't wait, until the dropbox app gets the productive state Wink

RE: [Release] XBMC Backup - robweber - 2012-12-12

(2012-12-11, 20:36)Michi1979 Wrote: Version 0.3.0 is now in the official Repository available Smile
Now i can't wait, until the dropbox app gets the productive state Wink

Bad News Everyone.

Dropbox didn't approve my application for production status on the Dropbox target for XBMC Backup. I can apply again, and plan to do so.

Their response said I didn't describe what the app did - even though I explained it was a utility to backup XBMC user data and even described what XBMC was. Plus they said they could test the software, even though I provided a link to the git repo and explained you needed to install XBMC and configure the app as an addon with Dropbox as a target as part of the description. Overall I'm just very irritated with the Dropbox staff, if they had bothered to spend 5 minutes in investigation they would have seen this is more than a simple go to website A and click button B type app.

In any case, sorry to everyone for pushing out this change and then not being able to follow through right away. I really didn't forsee these problems with the Dropbox side of things. I'll follow up here when I know more.

RE: [Release] XBMC Backup - gibxxi - 2012-12-12

You didn't include diagrams Rob? lol. These kinds of people can only work with diagrams. Big Grin

RE: [Release] XBMC Backup - Michi1979 - 2012-12-13

Hi Rob,
if we can help to get the dropbox "app" to productive state, let us know.
I will do, whats possible for me Smile

Greetings,
Michael

RE: [Release] XBMC Backup - robweber - 2012-12-13

(2012-12-13, 19:31)Michi1979 Wrote: Hi Rob,
if we can help to get the dropbox "app" to productive state, let us know.
I will do, whats possible for me Smile

Greetings,
Michael

Thank you very much. I'll certainly post back here if I need anything. For now I've resubmitted my request, this time including a very detailed write up of the addon's Dropbox interaction and authorization process. I even attached several screenshots of the addon working and the dropbox authorization prompt. Hopefully this is enough.

(2012-12-11, 20:13)matt77303 Wrote: Couple of quick requests....

Could there be an option to automatically shut down xbmc once it has done a backup? ie, im using xbmc, go to bed, leave my machine on and at 1am it does a back up and then shuts down the computer?

And could there be aoption to include extra folders? ie. in my userdata folder i have a folder for weather fanart, and cinema experience. Currently these are not being backed up?

Matt

Regarding these requests. Shutting down xbmc after a scheduled backup seems like a reasonable request. Something that can be toggled on/off in the scheduler setup. Including the extra folders becomes a little trickier. The issue there is that if you can select any random folder on your computer, there is no frame of reference for when it needs to be restored.

As an example, right now the addon "knows" that all data is stored in the special://home directory and all remote files are in the directory you setup in the settings. This allows file paths to be built such as

xbmc_path + "userdata/sources.xml" can easily map to remote_path + "userdata/sources.xml"

So when restoring you can reverse the paths, and easily get files exactly where they started from. If you were to choose c:\weatherart\ as an outside directory how would the addon know the frame of reference to reconstruct the file path when going from remote back to local source? Obviously the answer is that it needs to be stored in the backup somehow, perhaps as an additional configuration file.

This isn't to say this isn't doable. On the contrary I think many people have similar situations where they have OS config files (OpenELEC users), weather art, saved ROM data, or whatever. The internal structure of the addon just isn't such that it can easily allow these types of outside directories at the moment. I'm thinking of the best way to implement this, it just may take a bit. As always, thanks for the suggestions.

RE: [Release] XBMC Backup - robweber - 2012-12-14

Just FYI for anyone monitoring the Dropbox API status - I posted the following question here regarding Dropbox's latest request about the source code. Any ideas are appreciated.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=148303

RE: [Release] XBMC Backup - SFX Group - 2012-12-15

UPDATE

System settings are not being restored (Raspberry PI 512 with openELEC), it has backed them up, i can see it in the guisettings.xml, however on restoring them, these are not being taken into the system, even after a restart...

Results in having to set the whole system up (and it not able to talk on a network), how do we restore the settings?

This is with version 2.3 and 3.0

RE: [Release] XBMC Backup - robweber - 2012-12-17

(2012-12-15, 01:41)SFX Group Wrote: UPDATE

System settings are not being restored (Raspberry PI 512 with openELEC), it has backed them up, i can see it in the guisettings.xml, however on restoring them, these are not being taken into the system, even after a restart...

Results in having to set the whole system up (and it not able to talk on a network), how do we restore the settings?

This is with version 2.3 and 3.0

Thanks for posting your findings. Can you be a little more specific on "system settings". What exactly is it not setting correctly. The guisettings.xml document has XBMC specific information such as locale to populate the gui screens.

On an OpenELEC system XBMC has nothing to do with the network settings. OpenELEC handles these through the use of an addon, but even then the changes need to be written to the underlying file system. The addon does nothing more than let you edit these settings; I'm not even particularly sure how OpenELEC gets them from the addon settings document into the operating system to be properly configured. Some type of file monitoring I would guess. Because of this I can't guarantee that restoring your addon_data files would be enough to trigger a restoration of these settings. May need to dig into it more with them.

RE: [Release] XBMC Backup - SFX Group - 2012-12-18

My SD card is playing up at the moment so i cant test anything.

However i know the timezone isnt set, the country, i can check in more detail later, i do know these are being backed up (i can see them in the file), also i have a weather plug, its being restored but not appearing on the desktop (thats in the system settings), so appears nothing in the system is being restored to tell it the timezone, the country, that the weather should be displayed on the desktop etc....

Not sure how to get super specific here, i do know though that this data is in the restore file as i have seen it.

RE: [Release] XBMC Backup - mockingbirdblue - 2012-12-20

updated to 0.3.0 and the restore feature just vanished....... all fine within 0.1.8, but I don't even see the option at all.......and I cannot convert back at all. Please let me know what to do here as its confusing with the updated version. thanks.