Kodi Community Forum
[Release] Backup (formerly XBMC Backup) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Add-on Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Program Add-ons (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=151)
+---- Thread: [Release] Backup (formerly XBMC Backup) (/showthread.php?tid=129499)

RE: [Release] XBMC Backup - robweber - 2013-12-27

(2013-12-25, 13:31)jhonny30 Wrote: Just to be sure why this happened?!
Before installing 12.3 i made a backup and when installed 12.3 i restored...
I had to redo a lot of settings after that whitch don't seem to have been restored by the backup...
Like some folders which i excluded from "library update", they suddenly have been scanned again after the restore. Also my artwork that i have been selecting for my tvshows for the last weeks have all been changed... They haven't been restored by xbmc backup??
Also the display of tvshows and movies in the different pannels haven't been restored to previous version...
Just noticed that even the watched/unwatched count was not restored??
Is this normal?
Thanks for the checkup

This is definitely not normal behavior. To be honest it seems like some stuff got really messed up. What version of xbmc were you updating from to 12.3? Was it another 12 release or something like Eden? Upgrading from say 12.2 to 12.3 really shouldn't have screwed up anything to the point where you'd even need to backup/restore.

RE: [Release] XBMC Backup - jhonny30 - 2013-12-27

Came up from the octobre monthly build

[Release] XBMC Backup - ktjensen - 2013-12-27

Fresh install of XBMC. And attempted backup. Looks like a directory has to be picked first. So put it in my DROPBOX directory. Worked fine.

RE: [Release] XBMC Backup - robweber - 2013-12-27

(2013-12-27, 18:08)jhonny30 Wrote: Came up from the octobre monthly build

You installed 12.3 on top of the Oct Monthly Build? I'm guessing you don't mean the 12.3 testing build but rather the Oct Alpha. If this is right that would explain why stuff is all messed up. The monthly build would have used a different database schema and probably some other stuff too.

RE: [Release] XBMC Backup - jhonny30 - 2013-12-28

Ok explains it...
Thank you for your time.
Just did a fresh backup on 12.3!! ;-)

RE: [Release] XBMC Backup - mixpc - 2013-12-29

(2013-12-23, 16:04)robweber Wrote: Can't do much more with this without a debug log of you attempting a restore.

Please, anyone, let me know how to produce a debug log and I'll create it and paste a link to a the debug log for tracing purposes.

Thank you!

RE: [Release] XBMC Backup - robweber - 2013-12-29

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Log_file/Easy

RE: [Release] XBMC Backup - roveer - 2014-01-03

My hardware is RPi using Openelec and xbmc 12.2 I believe. Using the confluence skin.

I had this installed on a old slower SD card and had done an xbmc backup (selecting all options except custom directories). Saved the backup to my NAS.

Upgraded the SD card to a newer class 10 card, reinstalled openelec (same version as on the older card, therefore same version of xbmc)

Went into XBMC installed the XBMC add-on and did a restore.

It did restore everything but none of my settings took. My screen was off (had adjusted that in xbmc settings), the RSS feed was running, the "recently added movies" was displaying. Basically doesn't look like it restored any of my settings. It did restore my sources and brought back up my movie library with artwork, but none of the settings.

Is this a known problem or should it be restoring the settings? Is there something else I should be doing? Since I can go back to my old installation just by popping in the older card. I'm going to run through the process again and double check everything and make sure the versions are the same.

There is also an option on the Openelec add-on to backup Openelec and XBMC so I might try that option and see what happens. Will report back if I have any success, but would Like to use XBMC Backup going forward since it has more features.

Thanks,

Roveer

[Release] XBMC Backup - ktjensen - 2014-01-04

Roveer - am very interested in your test. Many just say to copy the user XML directory from XBMC and that works just as well.

RE: [Release] XBMC Backup - mattman73 - 2014-01-06

I have just tested this on my RPi running XBMC 13 and when coping with multiple profiles the backup is missing the advancedsettings for all profiles and also one profile made after the master profile was also not copied. Not to sure why and the only way I know to do a backup is to copy the whole userdata folder off using SMB and then copy it back when needed.

Regards
MattMan

RE: [Release] XBMC Backup - robweber - 2014-01-06

(2014-01-03, 21:59)roveer Wrote: My hardware is RPi using Openelec and xbmc 12.2 I believe. Using the confluence skin.

I had this installed on a old slower SD card and had done an xbmc backup (selecting all options except custom directories). Saved the backup to my NAS.

Upgraded the SD card to a newer class 10 card, reinstalled openelec (same version as on the older card, therefore same version of xbmc)

Went into XBMC installed the XBMC add-on and did a restore.

It did restore everything but none of my settings took. My screen was off (had adjusted that in xbmc settings), the RSS feed was running, the "recently added movies" was displaying. Basically doesn't look like it restored any of my settings. It did restore my sources and brought back up my movie library with artwork, but none of the settings.

Is this a known problem or should it be restoring the settings? Is there something else I should be doing? Since I can go back to my old installation just by popping in the older card. I'm going to run through the process again and double check everything and make sure the versions are the same.

There is also an option on the Openelec add-on to backup Openelec and XBMC so I might try that option and see what happens. Will report back if I have any success, but would Like to use XBMC Backup going forward since it has more features.

Thanks,

Roveer

I think this is probably related to the issue restoring the guisettings file. This file contains almost all settings related to screen views and other GUI type preferences. This file cannot be restored while XBMC is running because XBMC dumps it's running config to the file upon close. On OpenELEC that makes restoring this file very difficult as you need to kill the xbmc process, put the file in the correct location manually, and then restart to get your settings back. There is PR to fix this but it isn't merged yet.

Not sure on the OpenELEC backup, this may or may not work.

(2014-01-06, 02:05)mattman73 Wrote: I have just tested this on my RPi running XBMC 13 and when coping with multiple profiles the backup is missing the advancedsettings for all profiles and also one profile made after the master profile was also not copied. Not to sure why and the only way I know to do a backup is to copy the whole userdata folder off using SMB and then copy it back when needed.

Regards
MattMan

Can you give me a screenshot or some type of file listing for what your userdata folder and the profile folders look like? If you've selected Profiles in the backup settings you should be getting everything in the userdata/profiles/ directory. To my knowledge this is where all the profile information is stored.

RE: [Release] XBMC Backup - hallohome - 2014-01-07

Hi,

first thanx for this nice Addon. Is there a way to have an option to backup the DB with the shutdown of XBMC. I only use XBMC on a weekly base. "Cron" dosnt work for me because XBMC never runs. But to have the posibility to chose something like "Backup before shutdown" that would be nice, Big Grin

RE: [Release] XBMC Backup - robweber - 2014-01-07

That is an interesting question. In your use case the "One-Off" style schedule wouldn't really work as you don't know if XBMC will be running or not at a given time. The catch to making this work is if once the XBMC shutdown signal is detected if we can run the backup or if XBMC will kill the thread as part of it's shutdown process. I'll have to give it a test, each script is supposed to watch for the abortRequested signal and close gracefully on it's own so running a backup may be possible.

I'll post back here with any updates to this.

RE: [Release] XBMC Backup - roveer - 2014-01-08

(2014-01-04, 15:57)ktjensen Wrote: Roveer - am very interested in your test. Many just say to copy the user XML directory from XBMC and that works just as well.

I tried a few different things. First I was using 12.2 on all my backup and restore platforms. Same version. No matter what I did it would not restore the settings. What exactly is the "user xml directory". are we talking about userdata/guisettings.xml? I'm not that familiar with the file system so I need more specific information.

I cloned my SD card and as you expect that worked. That might just be the easiest way going forward if I can't find an add-on that will image the entire xbmc.

RE: [Release] XBMC Backup - hallohome - 2014-01-08

Thanx again, maybe it is a posybillity for the future funktionBig Grin "Backup on shutdown" to add this directly in the shutdown menu. Something like "Shutdown and Backup" not only Shutdown, Reboot and so on.