Kodi Community Forum
[Release] Backup (formerly XBMC Backup) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Add-on Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Program Add-ons (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=151)
+---- Thread: [Release] Backup (formerly XBMC Backup) (/showthread.php?tid=129499)

RE: [Release] Backup (formally XBMC Backup) - clel - 2015-05-01

The question is, whether the software _can_ do it.

RE: [Release] Backup (formally XBMC Backup) - ed_davidson - 2015-05-01

(2015-04-19, 18:56)robweber Wrote:
(2015-04-17, 12:34)jackiass Wrote: On a Raspberry pi 2 running Openelec I am getting an error when using the zipped option with dropbox (non zipped works fine).

"WRITE ERROR DETECTED
The destination may not be writeable
Zip archive could not be copied"

Here is the log (I've Xed out personal data): http://pastebin.com/vw4JVhJ1

It is kinda weird, since it has write access to dropbox and enough space free. As I mentioned, it works fine when I don't zip it but for some reason, unzipped takes more than 12 hours? I can usually upload about 4MB/s and the backup is about 600 MB which would mean 2,5 minutes of upload. I was hoping uploading just one zipped archive would solve the slow upload.

Thanks for the log file. Dropbox's python API has been notoriously troublesome regarding large files. It seems that it times out the connection a lot. The addon attempts to retry but has to give up eventually. That is probably why non-zipped archives are working as they are just a bunch of small files. I've had sort of 50/50 success at the zip files - and that is testing with ones smaller than 100MB.

(2015-04-18, 19:22)ed_davidson Wrote: Hi Rob,

I tried to do a zipped backup onto my OUYA to the downloads folder and got a script error, here is the error:

http://www.xbmclogs.com/pcdbr5xzg

Thanks for the log. The Android platform is bundled with a lower version of python than the other platforms. It does not recognize the "compress_type" option when given. Android uses version 2.6 I think and the compress_type option was introduced in 2.7. I'll have to do some checking and see if I can detect the version used and do the right type of call. Would be better if python was just updated on Android, but that's a Kodi dev thing. If I come up with something would you be willing to test? I don't have an android box.

(2015-04-30, 16:15)bruteforce Wrote: Thanks for the reply robweber
I thought that there may be an easier way I hope or wish that some type of backup program will work in the future?

Its a good tutorial however I do not fancy going though all that method to restore.

The backup addon works great if you want to restore an identical TV box. Just do the restore and if you are not using the defaukt skin then you will probably get a message saying could not load skin. As soon as the restore is done don't do anything but pull the power cord to the box. When you reboot everything should have stuck. Works for me anyway using CCM helix skin.

RE: [Release] Backup (formally XBMC Backup) - robweber - 2015-05-01

Rip the cord out - that can't be right..... Smile

The guisettings.xml file is a problem, and unfortunately not one I can do a lot about I'm afraid. I was not expecting Isengard to go to Beta so soon, as I had planned on trying to come up with a way to restore the file based on a "guisettings.restore" type of file being available. Just didn't get to it and now it's in beta so little chance of that making it in. I also experimented with using post-restore scripts to move the file but those were hugely platform specific and required the addon to trigger a script, kill Kodi, and then somehow allow that script to continue to run in the background and finish it's job. Easier said than done, and it seemed very intrusive.

The Backup addon does attempt to help you but it can only do so much. I pull in all the settings that exist as part of the Settings.GetSettings JSON request and do set those during a restore. These are mostly system settings so things like local language, timezone, skin, etc. Any skin specific settings are lost, which unfortunately is pretty much the important stuff as far as most people are concerned.

Getting on to the multiple files in the Zip containers. Mostly this is due to the old zip file (from the last backup) not being removed correctly. In the next version, which I hope to push soon, there is at least an error message about this. Currently it tries to add files to this archive, if it exists, and you end up with archives that just keep increasing in size. I don't have a good reason why the zip files aren't deleted other than the xbmcvfs module is just refusing to delete them. I can't reproduce this behavior myself. I'm going to brainstorm on better ways to tackle this.

As with anything, a work in progress.......

RE: [Release] Backup (formally XBMC Backup) - ed_davidson - 2015-05-02

You need to do a force stop so whatever works. Pulling the power cord is a good way. Check out the community builds. In the additional tools it has a way to try and do a force stop.

RE: [Release] Backup (formally XBMC Backup) - rfouryou - 2015-05-02

is it possible on a fresh install on a new computer to use another computers backup? i have backup pc #1 and i just bought pc#2 and i want install kodi and then install back up and then use backup #1 on #2 will that work?

thanks

If you are using a PC the easiest thing to do would be to copy the .kodi folder onto USB then install and run Kodi on new PC. Then delete .kodi folder on new PC and insert .kodi folder from USB. .kodi folder is located at appdata/roaming/.kodi you will have to show hidden files folders on PC.

THANKS for the help. when i go to this path "appdata/roaming/.kodi" it doesnt work i get an error. can i just go to %appdata% then just copy the kodi folder from pc#1 then replace it on the new pc#2?

thanks!!

Appdata then click the roaming folder then .kodi and copy that.

you ROCK thanks!!!!!

problem: restore window blank - ghussey - 2015-05-03

helix 14.2 restore from a backup of 14.2 restore window to chose restore file is blank.

RE: [Release] Backup (formally XBMC Backup) - great_vc - 2015-05-03

How come the backup size is so big ? 520MB, this is greater than the Kodi application it self!

RE: [Release] Backup (formally XBMC Backup) - ed_davidson - 2015-05-03

(2015-05-03, 21:34)ghussey Wrote: helix 14.2 restore from a backup of 14.2 restore window to chose restore file is blank.

Have you set your path to te restores correctly?

RE: [Release] Backup (formally XBMC Backup) - ghussey - 2015-05-04

backup folder is set - had to setup to do the backup. Android Kodi.

RE: [Release] Backup (formally XBMC Backup) - robweber - 2015-05-04

(2015-05-03, 21:41)great_vc Wrote: How come the backup size is so big ? 520MB, this is greater than the Kodi application it self!

That really isn't super huge. I know several people have reported sizes well over 1GB, personally just my addons, configs, and artwork are 7GB. Depending on what you choose you are backing up images, databases, and even addons associated with your install. Just looking at addons skins can be rather large. I have an emulator addon that is 2GB by itself with all the cores. If you have a lot of videos with fanart scraped those can get large as well. In short - Kodi can generate some good sized chunks of data.

(2015-05-04, 01:05)ghussey Wrote: backup folder is set - had to setup to do the backup. Android Kodi.

If the backup folder is set, and you have a valid backup then it will show up in the restore window. If you're sure everything is right post a debug log. Generally the path is wrong or the xbmcbackup.val file does not exist.

RE: [Release] Backup (formally XBMC Backup) - great_vc - 2015-05-07

(2015-05-04, 18:39)robweber Wrote: That really isn't super huge. I know several people have reported sizes well over 1GB, personally just my addons, configs, and artwork are 7GB. Depending on what you choose you are backing up images, databases, and even addons associated with your install. Just looking at addons skins can be rather large. I have an emulator addon that is 2GB by itself with all the cores. If you have a lot of videos with fanart scraped those can get large as well. In short - Kodi can generate some good sized chunks of data.

Yeah, after one week of usage the backup now is 1GB !!! I guess i expected less actual data like images / skins repository's and more links, to re download the files after restore etc.

tnx