Kodi Community Forum
[Release] Backup (formerly XBMC Backup) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Add-on Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Program Add-ons (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=151)
+---- Thread: [Release] Backup (formerly XBMC Backup) (/showthread.php?tid=129499)

RE: [Release] Backup (formally XBMC Backup) - mattmartinolc - 2016-03-06

(2016-02-26, 13:21)plonka Wrote:
(2015-08-26, 02:02)mattmartinolc Wrote: Thanks for all your help man. I am using your application unconventionally so it's been a bit of a learning curve for me making modifications to it. I am actually using it as an updater for media boxes. I make an archive of any changes or updates, then upload to a server, and then the users click update from their front menu and it goes straight to the restore function without them seeing backup/restore option, skipping over the first screen.

@ mattmartinolc

Your use of this is exactly what I'm looking for! Big Grin Big Grin

Care to share method and detail please, or perhaps a new thread might be more appropriate?

Hi Plonka. My solutions and code is around page 70-ish of this thread if you read back. But I must warn you that my solutions and mods are specific to OpenElec and won't work in droid at all since I take advantage of the autostart.sh script that runs on bootup of the OE operating system to get around certain kodi limitations. This has not been glitch free however. sorry for the late response as I am not 'subscribed' to the thread.

ROB, have we been able to figure out the issue with the "remote path doesn't exist" error when restoring from an archive?? It seems to be a random error. And the process is always the same. First the archive downloads (in my case, the machines download the zip archive from my web server), then it extracts the zip archive to a temporary directory, then immediately tries to read that temporary directory where the files have been extracted to. That's when the error occurs.

But what I think is happening is either the files are not fully / completely written/extracted or the directory isn't ready to be read yet or is still locked in the extraction process somehow preventing the restore function from reading it thus causing the error "remote path doesn't exist". Is there a way I can add a sleep 30 or similar line of code immediately after the extraction to try and give it time to finish with one process before starting with the next?? If you point me to the point of the code where I can insert this, I can play with that and report back. I can even try an extreme sleep number just to give it ample time to finish one process and let the directory be ready to be read by the program...

[Release] Backup (formally XBMC Backup) - ed_davidson - 2016-03-06

(2016-03-06, 19:36)mattmartinolc Wrote: ROB, have we been able to figure out the issue with the "remote path doesn't exist" error when restoring from an archive?? It seems to be a random error. And the process is always the same. First the archive downloads (in my case, the machines download the zip archive from my web server), then it extracts the zip archive to a temporary directory, then immediately tries to read that temporary directory where the files have been extracted to. That's when the error occurs.

But what I think is happening is either the files are not fully / completely written/extracted or the directory isn't ready to be read yet or is still locked in the extraction process somehow preventing the restore function from reading it thus causing the error "remote path doesn't exist". Is there a way I can add a sleep 30 or similar line of code immediately after the extraction to try and give it time to finish with one process before starting with the next?? If you point me to the point of the code where I can insert this, I can play with that and report back. I can even try an extreme sleep number just to give it ample time to finish one process and let the directory be ready to be read by the program...

Hi there, are you trying to restore from a backup NOT complied on the device you are trying to restore from. I get the same error. I'm not sure but the error happens every time I do it. Here is what I'm doing. I create my build on a PC. Copy the ADDONS and USERDATA folder and grab the backup.val file and zip it all up and call it 111111111111.zip or something like that. Just wondering if you still get the error if doing the backup and restore on the same machine?

(2016-03-06, 19:42)ed_davidson Wrote:
(2016-03-06, 19:36)mattmartinolc Wrote: ROB, have we been able to figure out the issue with the "remote path doesn't exist" error when restoring from an archive?? It seems to be a random error. And the process is always the same. First the archive downloads (in my case, the machines download the zip archive from my web server), then it extracts the zip archive to a temporary directory, then immediately tries to read that temporary directory where the files have been extracted to. That's when the error occurs.

Hi there, are you trying to restore from a backup NOT complied on the device you are trying to restore from. I get the same error. I'm not sure but the error happens every time I do it. Here is what I'm doing. I create my build on a PC. Copy the ADDONS and USERDATA folder and grab the backup.val file and zip it all up and call it 111111111111.zip or something like that. Just wondering if you still get the error if doing the backup and restore on the same machine?

Does not seem to matter if it's on the same machine or not. I actually do not use the backup function to create the zip either. I just make a folder with a date like 201603031818 and inside are my custom folder designation, addons, userdata etc. Then I just put the updated files inside, and create a zip archive of that folder. Then I upload it to the web server. the backup.val file is unnecessary and I don't include it inside the zip as it will trigger the kodi version error which to me doesn't matter since my updates are fine for all my machines since they all run the same OS.

The error occurs whether I use the backup function to create the archive, whether I run it from the same machine I created it from, and whether or not the archive is stored and run from locally or off the webserver. The process of the restore and the cause of the error I'm afraid are the same. Something is locking the temp folder that the files were extracted to from being read just long enough to trigger the error with the restore function. It occurs seemingly randomly. Usually a rebooting or re-running the restore suddenly works. Seems like a 50/50 crapshoot whether or not the error will occur.

[Release] Backup (formally XBMC Backup) - ed_davidson - 2016-03-06

Thanks for the info.

RE: [Release] Backup (formally XBMC Backup) - hvdkleij - 2016-03-08

When I click on Backup I get an error: Externe location doesn't exists

Can you help me what to do now?

RE: [Release] Backup (formally XBMC Backup) - ontap - 2016-03-08

is it possible to use this back up method to transfer my custom kodi set up from a mac to a pi3 running openelec ? both are on the same network , i have put a lot of time into building my set up on the mac and want to run it on a dedicated pi ?

RE: [Release] Backup (formally XBMC Backup) - Romek_original - 2016-03-11

does this save Favourites too?

[Release] Backup (formally XBMC Backup) - ed_davidson - 2016-03-13

(2016-03-08, 16:45)ontap Wrote: is it possible to use this back up method to transfer my custom kodi set up from a mac to a pi3 running openelec ? both are on the same network , i have put a lot of time into building my set up on the mac and want to run it on a dedicated pi ?

You can. You will however loose your OS specific settings in any addons. Like the backup addon path will be your mac path. Easy to change.
You might also want to manually edit the GUISETTINGS file and take out any references to the mac video and audio settings. The easiest way would be to copy your Pi guisettings files and just paste the mac skin settings into it.

[Release] Backup (formally XBMC Backup) - ed_davidson - 2016-03-13

(2016-03-11, 17:17)Romek_original Wrote: does this save Favourites too?

Yes. Addon_data settings and favourites.

RE: [Release] Backup (formally XBMC Backup) - mattmartinolc - 2016-03-15

Is there a way to be able to do a restore from a webserver without having the .zip the files? I have directory listing enabled, have the folder named as the backup created it, I can see the directory lists when I browse to it with a web browser, but the backup program brings up nothing in the list of restores??

[Release] Backup (formally XBMC Backup) - ed_davidson - 2016-03-15

Have you called the folder one with 12 numbers?

[Release] Backup (formally XBMC Backup) - ed_davidson - 2016-03-15

I was able to do it from an ftp server but it took soooo long, with all those files. That's why I used the zip.

RE: [Release] Backup (formally XBMC Backup) - mattmartinolc - 2016-03-16

(2016-03-15, 01:55)mattmartinolc Wrote: Is there a way to be able to do a restore from a webserver without having the .zip the files? I have directory listing enabled, have the folder named as the backup created it, I can see the directory lists when I browse to it with a web browser, but the backup program brings up nothing in the list of restores??

It wasn't working because it won't pick up the folder unless is has the xbmcbackup.val file inside the folder. So I just put a blank one in there. But then it doesn't pick up the whole directory structure to restore and misses most of the files. FTP seems to work. So I guess I will be doing it that way since running the restore from the .zip archive causes the "temp directory does not exist" error more often than not.

RE: [Release] Backup (formally XBMC Backup) - runswithascript - 2016-03-21

I am going to quote myself from another unanswered thread in a different sub forum, asterisks denote *changes from the original text* :

(2016-03-20, 15:45)dusf Wrote: As I have been customizing my Nvidia Shield Android TV heavily the last few days, in case my config is hosed, I have been using the official Backup program most nights, with the source set to my temporary NAS solution which initially was a Samba server running on Ubuntu desktop 15.10, *now temporary samba running on Netgear 7000 DD-WRT*. Please help with the following questions.

1. The backups are quite large, the latest 3.8GB, but when I try to use the backup compression option the backup fails and the following errors are generated in the log:

http://xbmclogs.com/pycw8uz1t

Is there something I can do to make compression backup work? Non-compressed backups work fine.

(2012-04-20, 21:21)robweber Wrote: Compressing my backups isn't working, why?

The most common reason for this is going to be drive space. Non-compressed backups write files directly from your local folders to the remote directory. When compressing the archive the files are first staged locally and then only the compressed folder copied over the remote directory. This means for both backup and restore operations you need to have enough space on your local drive for creation/extraction of the compressed archive. Depending on the folders you are selecting - especially for custom directories - this could be a lot of extra drive space, or very little.

I have the Pro version of the Nvidia Shield TV, so it has 500GB internal storage. Also, I can play media from the external HDD connected to the router fine, which is where I have Backup source set to. I only have the Shield just over a week, so I do not think I have done anything to change where files are normally stored. You mention a lack of space being a possible issue, I have the source for the Backup program set to the HDD connected to the router, which I can browse and play media from fine, and it has about 50Gb free, is there somewhere else I need to configure a location for the data to be compressed locally on the Shield?

(2016-03-20, 15:45)dusf Wrote: 2. I have twice restored backups made from my Nvidia Shield Android TV to Kodi running on my Android Nexus 7 tablet. The first time I did this I noticed the skin did not change from Confluence to Aeon Nox (as is configured on the Shield), but I surmised this is just the way restoring backups works, afterall it does not take much to switch the skin, which was installed from the backup, in system settings. Last night I noticed the EPG I use had none of my settings saved, and some other addons were asking me to input account details which were set on the Shield. Please note, this was a restore to the Kodi app which had the cache and data cleared, so it was not the case the backup failed completely, for the most part, after the restore Kodi on the tablet is the same as the setup on the Shield.

I do have Backup configured to backup everything, only leaving the custom folders unset. Should it be restoring all settings for every aspect of Kodi, including addon settings? If so, what can I do to make sure everything is getting backed up, and restored properly Huh

(2016-03-20, 15:45)dusf Wrote: 3. I only ever experienced XBMC in the past on an Rpi, and an overpriced Android STB, both of which had a lot of problems. Since getting the Shield I really love using Kodi, tinkering with it, making everything about it exactly as I want Nod I want to encourage some family members to use it, perhaps gifting them devices I have configured for Christmas etc., but I would like to be able to restore a backup I have of my own Kodi to theirs (probably after removing some usernames and passwords, and library metadata), so I do not have to go through the long set up process repeatedly. Whatever boxes I buy for my family will probably be Android, but if they were something else could I still restore a configuration I made on my own Nvidia Shield Android TV? I also worry about something going wrong some time after I have made a present of Kodi to family, I do not live close to them, some are overseas, is there a recommended method for 'fixing' or updating Kodi settings remotely for my non-geek family members? Rofl Perhaps this is best done through Android, directed at the Kodi install, rather than through Kodi itself?

Family members, try as they might, just would not have the patience to configure Kodi on their own to set it up, or work out how to fix it if something goes wrong.

Would the official backup program be a feasible solution for this, perhaps pointed a server where I keep a backup? I know we can schedule backups, but can we also schedule restores?