Kodi Community Forum
[Release] Backup (formerly XBMC Backup) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Add-on Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Program Add-ons (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=151)
+---- Thread: [Release] Backup (formerly XBMC Backup) (/showthread.php?tid=129499)

RE: [Release] Backup (formally XBMC Backup) - pabba - 2016-09-22

(2016-09-22, 13:02)Jeffers24 Wrote: Is your box/Kodi still running, as before you tried to do a restore?

If not, what state is it in?

kodi is running on my sony android 4K tv.
the problem is, I wanted to try the v.17 beta 2, so I read the instructions and backed up all of my Jarvis install.
I was told by the app the backup was successfull, so I proceed to install v.17.
now I want to revert to Jarvis, but I'm not sure my backup can be restored.

RE: [Release] Backup (formally XBMC Backup) - Jeffers24 - 2016-09-22

(2016-09-22, 13:16)pabba Wrote:
(2016-09-22, 13:02)Jeffers24 Wrote: Is your box/Kodi still running, as before you tried to do a restore?

If not, what state is it in?

kodi is running on my sony android 4K tv.
the problem is, I wanted to try the v.17 beta 2, so I read the instructions and backed up all of my Jarvis install.
I was told by the app the backup was successfull, so I proceed to install v.17.
now I want to revert to Jarvis, but I'm not sure my backup can be restored.

Did your install of Kodi 17 delete your Kodi 16 build, or was your Kodi 16 build inherited by and is running on your Kodi 17 installation?

I installed 17 over 16.1
on first start everything was reset.

now I reinstalled 16.1, tried to restore the backup, and got the same error that I posted before (when I was trying to restore the 16 backup onto the 17 install).

[Release] Backup (formally XBMC Backup) - ed_davidson - 2016-09-22

I think you will find that most data should be fine. All your ADDONS and ADDON data should still be there.

Sent from my iPhone

What you could have done was to use Android file browser and change the name of the org.xbmc.kodi to org.xmbc.kodiold then on restart you will get a fresh created folder.

Sent from my iPhone

I have no deep knowledge of android, and using it on a TV makes everything more complicated.
so what should I do now? the zip isn't readable, and I overwritten the kodi app 2 times, one with 17 and now again with Jarvis.
is there any chance I will get my settings back? and how?
thanks for helping!

Tell me currently if you go into video addons do you seem to have all your addons or are they all gone?

Sent from my iPhone

all gone, as well as every other custom setting I had

You might be out of luck then. The only thing I would check would be browse to the folder org.xbmc.kodi in a android file browser.

Sent from my iPhone

(2016-09-22, 18:29)ed_davidson Wrote: You might be out of luck then. The only thing I would check would be browse to the folder org.xbmc.kodi in a android file browser.

Sent from my iPhone

I agree if you cannot find any folders it looks like bad news.

Last ditch attempt may be a file recovery app for android.

I have never done it on Android but I loaded 'Scavenger' on my laptop and recovered data from an SDCard.

For future, I never use the backup program, I just copy the whole .kodi file when I want to take a snapshot of my build. Then you just copy it back if you need to, or you can copy it onto other boxes.

(2016-09-22, 18:44)Jeffers24 Wrote:
(2016-09-22, 18:29)ed_davidson Wrote: You might be out of luck then. The only thing I would check would be browse to the folder org.xbmc.kodi in a android file browser.

Sent from my iPhone

I have never done it on Android but I loaded 'Scavenger' on my laptop and recovered data from an SDCard.

For future, I never use the backup program, I just copy the whole .kodi file when I want to take a snapshot of my build. Then you just copy it back if you need to, or you can copy it onto other boxes.

how do I do it on an android TV platform?

(2016-09-22, 19:00)pabba Wrote:
(2016-09-22, 18:44)Jeffers24 Wrote:

Sent from my iPhone

how do I do it on an android TV platform?

I have never done it on Android, just googled and got this link:- https://www.google.co.uk/?gws_rd=ssl/#safe=off&q=android+file+recovery+app

Maybe someone else has done it and will respond

Is android TV the same as android on a TV box?

Sent from my iPhone

RE: [Release] Backup (formally XBMC Backup) - pabba - 2016-09-23

what is the location of the .kodi file?
and what does it contains exactly?

RE: [Release] Backup (formally XBMC Backup) - Jeffers24 - 2016-09-23

(2016-09-23, 09:52)pabba Wrote: what is the location of the .kodi file?
and what does it contains exactly?

For location see link:-

http://kodi.wiki/view/userdata

The .Kodi folder is a 'Hidden' folder, so you need to have a file explorer that allows you to view hidden forlders, I use ES File Explorer from the play store there are others, AND you have to change the settings towards the bottom of the list on the left of ES Explorer home window when it has loaded to select, 'Show Hidden Folders'.

.kodi contains most if not all the Kodi information in your build.