Kodi Community Forum
xbmc minified as a server? - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Development (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=32)
+--- Forum: Kodi Application (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=93)
+--- Thread: xbmc minified as a server? (/showthread.php?tid=132919)

RE: xbmc minified as a server? - edhen - 2012-11-10

but in response to "could be used to setup sources", just cant be done via writing too files. While technically sources.xml does point too directories for video sources or music etc. its not relied on for Library scrapping etc. just about all files needed is only used for 1 time setup just so the application will run correctly. BUT it would still be good for a webui too address these issues either way without having too use another xbmc to do initial setups....

RE: xbmc minified as a server? - Bootlegninja - 2012-11-10

Anyone ever try compiling from the OMV ISO yet? I'm still hoping someone can help.

RE: xbmc minified as a server? - manxam - 2012-11-11

Bootlegninja, I did attempt this for you and did get the segfault in exactly the same spot as you (libpthread) UNTIL I enabled:

Code:
<advancedsettings>
  <videolibrary>
      <backgroundupdate>true</backgroundupdate>
  </videolibrary>
</advancedsettings>

As per Tom's comment HERE

RE: xbmc minified as a server? - Bootlegninja - 2012-11-11

I've tried that as well. I think it's a Debian Squeeze problem as every suggestion tried always ends up with the display error and segmentation fault. That's why I need someone to try to compile themselves with that particular OS so that someone can see the obvious problem that I can't.

I did download the 0.3 ISO and set it up in Virtualbox. It ran without issue after setting it up as per the above.

I thought I was being helpful.. Oh well.

I didn't know that. Am I missing a library, or doing something out of order? I do appreciate it. It's just frustrating that I'm the only one that can't seem to get it working. If you would please, list what you are doing in order please since I can't get it to work.

Edit - Make all still isn't compiling everything. I'm having to go through and run make through various folders. But it seems a bit of headway is made. Here's 3 attempts made in a row to run it.

Code:
root@openmediavault:~/xbmc# ./xbmcVideoLibraryScan
Can't open display
XBMC Media Center 12.0-ALPHA7 Git:20121111-860cd91
Copyright (C) 2005-2011 Team XBMC - http://www.xbmc.org

Starting Video Library Scan

Segmentation fault
Can't open display

............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Finished Video Library Scan...
Segmentation fault
Can't open display

...........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Finished Video Library Scan...
root@openmediavault:~/xbmc#

Now to keep it running and get database versions to be the same as what I'm running.
Then package it so that I can take it to a family member's NAS I built so they have the same thing.

When all said and done, I need it to run at boot, stay running so that Sickbeard can be set to update it on command and have the web server up so I can update that way.

Excellent.. what was your issue? Remember that sickbeard still updates using the now defunct HTTP api but there is a pull request that's 5 days old in GIT that should fix this once midgetspy approves the changes.

The issue I had was that I didn't have the xbmc-server.cpp (with makefile) and the xbmcVideoLibraryScan (with makefile) in the ~/xbmc/xbmc folder while I was compiling. Never had a clear cut answer on when those should be in there or what. I was just blindly going at it when it hit me.

I guess the only issue I have left is that the video library scanner doesn't stay running after the scan. It self terminates on completion. Other than that, I'm at the mercy of the API change for Sickbeard updating. Well, that and for some reason "make all" won't make all.

Thank you again for the help.

A quick workaround with automated scanning. I can use OMV to create a cron job for running it every hour.

Bootleg, look at the post a couple up between me and vic regarding the edits to the code to keep running in the background. It's just commenting out a few lines.

Why are you running make all btw?

Found it and commented out the line. No joy on that, but I'm happy it even runs at all. As for running make all to compile, I was hoping that it would also build xbmc-xrandr, xbmc-server, and xbmcVideoLibraryScan along with the main build of XBMC itself.

RE: xbmc minified as a server? - manxam - 2012-11-12

What do you mean by no joy on that? Does it fail to compile? xbmc-server isn't a "real thing" per-se. It's just xbmcVideoLibraryScan with the lines commented out and with the name changed.

xbmc-xrandr is not required. You'll always get the error on start even when it's there.

RE: xbmc minified as a server? - Bootlegninja - 2012-11-12

It's compiling, but even with the mentioned line in xbmcVideoLibraryScan.cpp commented out, it will still self terminate upon completion of the library scan. Other than that, I'm assuming it works perfectly. It is creating the mysql database on my NAS. I haven't actually scanned new shows and/or movies into the library yet as I'm trying to find to proper commit to compile from for "MyVideos68" as I'm still using Alpha 7 from the xvba repository. I'm close by hitting on MyVideos69 I'm planning on sticking with that until the stable Frodo is released.

RE: xbmc minified as a server? - lloydsmart - 2012-11-12

Hello,

I've been following this thread and others trying to decide what solution will best fit my needs, and I thought I'd ask for some advice.

Basically, I want to try out the new uPnP features in xbmc git, so I've been looking for a way to run xbmc on my headless (Funtoo) server. I don't think xbmcVideoLibraryScan will do what I want - I guess what I'm really looking for is the patched Eden-Server thing that runs "full" xbmc but without the gui, except updated for Frodo.

Does anyone know how I can achieve this?

I've cloned the main xbmc git repo on my server, and am really just looking for some patches to allow it to run headless, in the same way that Eden did. Can anyone help?

Thanks.

RE: xbmc minified as a server? - manxam - 2012-11-12

Bootleg, then you're not commenting out the lines, commenting out the wrong lines, or commenting out the lines but not deleting the old files and it's not making new ones when you choose make..

Here's the edited code which *I* call xbmc-server on Pastebin. Save it as xbmc-server.cpp
Here's the edited makefile to build xbmc-server instead of xbmcvideolibraryscan. Pastebin. Save it as make_xbmc-server

place both in ./xbmc-frodo-whatever-the-current-head-is-called/xbmc/

Then (this is for lloyd's benefit):

cd into /xbmc-frodo-whatever-the-current-head-is-called/
./bootstrap
./configure --enable-shared-lib
make

copy the libxbmc.so shared library to /lib (not a bad idea to run ldconfig after this just so it's read into the library cache)

Build xbmc-server:

cd into /xbmc-frodo-whatever-the-current-head-is-called/xbmc/
make -f make_xbmc-server all

copy the xbmc-server binary to wherever you'd like

to run:

XBMC_BIN_HOME=/usr/local/lib/xbmc XBMC_HOME=/usr/local/share/xbmc ./xbmc-server

RE: xbmc minified as a server? - Bootlegninja - 2012-11-12

it's commented out of the xbmc-server.cpp? I found that line in xbmcVideoLibraryScan.cpp and commented it out. There's where I went wrong. I didn't know that since in the post mentioning to comment out the line, the file name to be edited wasn't mentioned. I just took a stab at which file.