Kodi Community Forum
"My Scripts", Python Scripts displayed as in "My Programs" - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Feature Requests (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: "My Scripts", Python Scripts displayed as in "My Programs" (/showthread.php?tid=13514)

Pages: 1 2 3

"My Scripts", Python Scripts displayed as in "My Programs" - jweaver621 - 2005-07-15

it would be cool if the scripts behaved more like the 3rd party extensions in winmce. arranged into categories like the programs bookmark is, only with:

streaming media
applications
information
etc.

i know you could just put them in subfolders in the scripts directory, but it would be cool if it had it's own unique view.

could this be done by just skinning?

- Livin - 2005-07-15

being worked on... do a search

- jweaver621 - 2005-07-15

i have done a search and didn't find anything. but thanks for your response! it's nice to know that this is being worked on.

can you post a link to any discussions regarding this?

- Livin - 2005-07-15

one of the top posts in the script development forum

please look a bit harder next time...

- jweaver621 - 2005-07-15

the work that's being done on that script looks promising, but unfortunately it's not what i was looking for. instead of organizing python scripts with another python script, why not have a default view in xbmc? it would be nice to have an "extensions" link on the homepage that pointed to a "programs-like" view of all the scripts installed. i'm sure this could be done through skinning. i will take a look at it.

i will definitely "look harder" next time. these forums are great! i get told to "look harder" on a feature suggestion!

- jmarshall - 2005-07-15

um - this is what the scripts window is for.

submenu -> scripts.

- Bernd - 2005-07-16

i'm glad this topic came up. i was thinking of something similar.

it would be great if the user could easily start scripts.

i know there is the pop-up menu on the right bottom side. and you can add entries to it. but you need to edit your skin.

would it be possible to put these additional menu entries in a separate file?
in this case the configuration (the list of menu entries) and the presentation (the skin) would be separated. if the user switches to another skin or updates his skin he would keep his custom menu entires an can easily start his favourite script.

bernd

- jmarshall - 2005-07-16

the scripts window does just this. it's only 1 more click.

we've tried moving information out of the skin and into the xboxmediacenter.xml file before, and it was a resounding failure in one instance (button scroller), and a slight success in the other instance (rss feeds).

the scripts window just lists all the scripts the user has installed - i don't see how it gets any better than that to be honest.

to organise scripts within this, use subfolders.

cheers,
jonathan

- C-Quel - 2005-07-16

very slightly off topic but the topic seems to be rolling this direction.

being able to edit the submenu via a context menu would be nice. highlight script on submenu then press a button like 'title' or whatever tickles your fancy for a dialog with the following:

'add, remove, rename, edit'

script name, script location maybe?

saves jumping into the skin to modify when you add remove scripts. but is it worth the hassle? and how easy would it be?

- Bernd - 2005-07-16

(jmarshall @ july 16 2005,12:14 Wrote:the scripts window does just this.  it's only 1 more click.

[...]

the scripts window just lists all the scripts the user has installed
yeah i know and i've been using it without any probs. but when you use the scripts window the user is presented a lot of unimportant information.
many scripts contain other .py files it uses and these are presented to the user. he must decide which script to start.

think of it like a shortcut to your frequently used applications you've put on your desktop for quick access or like the favourites/bookmarks in your webbrowser.

also i have much more scripts in my scripts dir than i would like to have in my popup menu for quick access.
so when using the remote i'm happy of every up or down buttonpress i can save.

Quote:i don't see how it gets any better than that to be honest.
i think it would make scripts (which i think are one of the best parts in xbmc thanks again for adding python) more accessible to the not so experienced users.

i just don't like to edit my skin,
but i will if it is needed.
it's just a suggestion. Smile

keep up the good work...

bernd

- jmarshall - 2005-07-16

how is the not so experienced user supposed to know which file to add to whatever xml file is going to configure this new shortcut system?

seems to me it's just the same problem shifted to another place.

why not dictate that scripts should have a single point of entry, and everything else should be in a separate directory. we then hide all directories in the scripts window. that makes it easy + obvious to the new user.

however, it then makes categorising scripts far more tricky, as there is no directory structure in the scripts window (thus disadvantaging the power user).

if a nice idea is sorted out, then i may look at implementing it if i have the time to do so. imo it should be outside of dialogsubmenu, as this can have a whole much more than just links to scripts (and some skins use it as such).

cheers,
jonathan

- EnderW - 2005-07-16

i know this is a bold request, but any chance the script system in xbmc itself support the script system based on xml's? i know it's a lot of coding, but there's just as much coding to do in python for me and i am not sure i will make it before leaving. i will try to get the installer done though, there isn't much work left scriptwise before it's in a usable (but not neccesarily good) state.

the idea here was that under views you could have an extra option which would check folders and look for the xml and then parse it. then show plain shortcuts with listthumbs and whatever. any dev possibly up for this task if it's found good?

the idea behind this is that every script is to have an xml eventually. also the installer will write an xml, if none is found, from the data it gains from site as long as that's possible.

i see one problem crashing with my great idea about this whole thing though. that is that you wont be able to check if you have latest version of the scripts easily (unless linking xbmc itself with xbmcscripts.com..dunno if that's a good idea). i guess that could be integrated into the installer somehow though, at least in a later stage.

i didn't mean to hijack the thread, but it's at least somewhat ontopic Wink
also, this is just a suggestion...as i said it's perhaps too bold, but this is something i care about and i just want what i think would be a good interface for xbmc's users. suggestions/critisicm welcome.

- Bernd - 2005-07-19

(jmarshall @ july 16 2005,20:55 Wrote:why not dictate that scripts should have a single point of entry, and everything else should be in a separate directory.  we then hide all directories in the scripts window.  that makes it easy + obvious to the new user.

however, it then makes categorising scripts far more tricky, as there is no directory structure in the scripts window (thus disadvantaging the power user).
hey why not. :idea:

it could be done like my programs handles default.xbe, but just for scripts.
maybe the script window could scan for default.py (or whatever name is chosen) and the scripts window will display the foldername or something from a xml-file as enderw suggested as the entry in the scripts list.

this way it would be very similar to my programs and the power user or enderws script is still free to organize in subfolders.

bernd

- DonJ - 2005-07-19

i agree bernd.
there has to be a standard for scripts.
i suppose that every script has it's own directory with a default.py and a settings.xml (carries the info which is supposed in the other thread).
this would make everything smoother imo

- EnderW - 2005-07-19

Quote:why not dictate that scripts should have a single point of entry, and everything else should be in a separate directory.  we then hide all directories in the scripts window.  that makes it easy + obvious to the new user.

but not very backwards compatible and honestly i don't believe in a big upgrade-of-all-scripts happening anytime soon, only the most active scripts in development would likely follow this.
the folder problem is already solved (at least i've done what i can do, all scripts on xbmcscripts.com will soon be in folders. most are already, but names aren't always the best...), even though some scripts break because of it (harcoded paths). problem is that many authors are gone and not updating their scripts anymore.

the approach i think would be best, is if folder names were displayed for scripts that had no xml and the script names for those that are. if you select a nonxml script it would just access the folder as usual, but if running a xmlcompliant script it would launch it directly. just an idea...i know it's a lot of work to implement though.

also, a script browser script is becoming more and more out of question for me. it's one month until i leave and got no xbox with me so i only intend to finish the installer.