Kodi Community Forum
[RELEASE] trakt.tv tv/movie scrobbler - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Add-on Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Service Add-ons (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=152)
+---- Thread: [RELEASE] trakt.tv tv/movie scrobbler (/showthread.php?tid=138745)

RE: [RELEASE] trakt.tv tv/movie scrobbler - ToddeSwe - 2015-01-01

Now i got 17 posts to my facebook page of the same movie i just looked at. Strange behavoir...

RE: [RELEASE] trakt.tv tv/movie scrobbler - Aleksander - 2015-01-01

The developers behind Trakt are aware that there are features missing from the website and that most of the apps that utilized the old API is no longer working. They are hard at work and they are also working on the add-on for Kodi. For further updates take a look at their Twitter-account: https://twitter.com/trakt Smile

RE: [RELEASE] trakt.tv tv/movie scrobbler - twarkie - 2015-01-02

It's really amazing how a big community like Trakt manages to break so much for so many people. My setup is unusable until the old API is restored or a new kodi plugin is released. A lot clearly went wrong in the migration to the new platform.

RE: [RELEASE] trakt.tv tv/movie scrobbler - Aleksander - 2015-01-02

(2015-01-02, 14:19)twarkie Wrote: It's really amazing how a big community like Trakt manages to break so much for so many people. My setup is unusable until the old API is restored or a new kodi plugin is released. A lot clearly went wrong in the migration to the new platform.

To be honest I find all this complaining over Trakt a bit thankless. It is a free service, and up until now it has been solely based on the founders using their spare time developing and running it.

From what I've understood, they're three guys working on Trakt and only one of them is working full time. For anyone wondering when currently missing data or features will be back, take a look at their Twitter-feed, someone else has probably asked them already.

The website has been completely rewritten from the ground up and it is inevitable that some bugs has to be taken care of before everything is back to normal. More and more things are coming back every day. I suggest you have a little patience and show them a little gratitude for using their spare time making a great service for all us TV and Movie lovers. Smile

RE: [RELEASE] trakt.tv tv/movie scrobbler - cd492 - 2015-01-02

You are right Aleksander, but why don't they release their new site when it's finished? Now we have a Beta Site which is unfinished and compared to the first version it has flaws all over it.

RE: [RELEASE] trakt.tv tv/movie scrobbler - DonLK - 2015-01-02

(2015-01-02, 18:48)Aleksander Wrote: To be honest I find all this complaining over Trakt a bit thankless. It is a free service, and up until now it has been solely based on the founders using their spare time developing and running it.

From what I've understood, they're three guys working on Trakt and only one of them is working full time. For anyone wondering when currently missing data or features will be back, take a look at their Twitter-feed, someone else has probably asked them already.

The website has been completely rewritten from the ground up and it is inevitable that some bugs has to be taken care of before everything is back to normal. More and more things are coming back every day. I suggest you have a little patience and show them a little gratitude for using their spare time making a great service for all us TV and Movie lovers. Smile

It's true that it is a free service, that doesn't justify the fact that this upgrade is not even close to being finished, so by forcing their loyal users to use this unusable "upgrade" you can expect a large chunk of them to complain.

I'm not saying they aren't free to do what they want with their service, they can remove/add features as much as they want, but also you need to alert users beforehand that some of their data will go missing (and provide an export solution, à la Google Reader), and some features will go away, you owe them at least this much.

most of us used this service because we want to track what we watched and what we haven't watched yet, some of us rely on this service to plan their daily entertainment, and those people now can't watch anything because they used Trakt to do the tracking, thus they complain.

(2015-01-02, 18:54)cd492 Wrote: You are right Aleksander, but why don't they release their new site when it's finished? Now we have a Beta Site which is unfinished and compared to the first version it has flaws all over it.

It might sound that simple, but it really isn't. The site is finished and has probably been tested by the developers for quite some time. However, when one works with databases as large and complicated as the ones Trakt does, there will always be something that is not working out of the box. That is probably also why they have decided to disable many of the features at launch. They are coming back, one at a time.

You could off course argue that they should have done more elaborate testing before releasing it, and to some extent that might be right, but no matter how they had done it there would have been bugs. We must also remember that being a small company, Trakt has limited resources despite the service looking and feeling very professional. Smile

(2015-01-02, 19:09)DonLK Wrote:
(2015-01-02, 18:48)Aleksander Wrote: To be honest I find all this complaining over Trakt a bit thankless. It is a free service, and up until now it has been solely based on the founders using their spare time developing and running it.

It's true that it is a free service, that doesn't justify the fact that this upgrade is not even close to being finished, so by forcing their loyal users to use this unusable "upgrade" you can expect a large chunk of them to complain.

I'm not saying they aren't free to do what they want with their service, they can remove/add features as much as they want, but also you need to alert users beforehand that some of their data will go missing (and provide an export solution, à la Google Reader), and some features will go away, you owe them at least this much.

most of us used this service because we want to track what we watched and what we haven't watched yet, some of us rely on this service to plan their daily entertainment, and those people now can't watch anything because they used Trakt to do the tracking, thus they complain.

Trakt gave notice of the downtime on both Twitter and Facebook a week in advance. The planned downtime was only one night, but something went wrong and it took a little longer than planned. That is not unusual. Now the site is online again and it is completely usable in spite it missing some features here and there.

If you are one of the unfortunate ones that are missing some of your progress or library-data I suggest you either contact the team behind Trakt on Twitter or send them an email. They have been very service-minded the last few days. And as far as I know nothing has been lost, but they might have to transfer some of the old content manually

Claiming that you can't watch content because it is no longer possible to scrobble to Trakt from Kodi seems a little far fetched to me. Honestly, what would you do in the days before Trakt?

(2015-01-02, 19:21)Aleksander Wrote: Trakt gave notice of the downtime on both Twitter and Facebook a week in advance. The planned downtime was only one night, but something went wrong and it took a little longer than planned. That is not unusual. Now the site is online again and it is completely usable in spite it missing some features here and there.

If you are one of the unfortunate ones that are missing some of your progress or library-data I suggest you either contact the team behind Trakt on Twitter or send them an email. They have been very service-minded the last few days. And as far as I know nothing has been lost, but they might have to transfer some of the old content manually

Claiming that you can't watch content because it is no longer possible to scrobble to Trakt from Kodi seems a little far fetched to me. Honestly, what would you do in the days before Trakt?

The 'notice' was a bit vague, what they said was
Quote:We have planned downtime and maintenance on Sunday night extending to Monday morning (PST). The site & API will be offline during this time.

Were in this notice it mentions a total overhaul of the website, including but not limited to: some data loss, some missing features, you might not be able to login.. and some other stuff.

"Downtime and maintenance" usually means "our website is having some problems, we'll look under the hood" not "here, this is not your toy, but it's a new toy, be grateful"

It's true that a lot of people complained before the upgrade of the website being slow and being down for long periods of time, and the upgrade was meant to re-build the website in a way it doesn't bring the website down every mondays morning where there's lots of people watching lots of stuff, and i'm thankful for them for making all those enhancements, the website looks good and works seamlessly

BUT, i my account is missing some +100 episodes/15 shows and some movies, a friend of mine lost more than 500 episodes! another one couldn't log in AT ALL!
i actually contacted them on the support page and sent them an email, nobody replied. it's probably going to be fixed, i know that, but why make the users go through all this?

The right way to do this is: you ask the users to try the new layout, they give you feedback, you fix bugs, you fix them and you make the new layout the main one. during this time, the users that didn't try the new layout would still be able to access the old layout and use it like they always used to, and when the new layout comes, nothing is missing there, everything works, and everybody's happy.
Also, when you do something like make a new api, you contact the known app/addon/plugin makers and you give them access to the new api so they make their code compatible, and when the new layout goes live, everything works, and everybody's happy.

Maybe my claim about Trakt paralyzing my tv routine can sound far fetched, but, i write articles about tv, i use trakt to rate what i watch, so Trakt plays a big role in giving me an 'overview' of my opinion about a show and they good/bad episodes... etc. before Trakt, i used IMDB, but IMDB doesn't do things as good as Trakt does it (and that's the reason why I love it).

EDIT: Just got a reply from support, it said: "I just pushed an update that will use TVDB for all episode info. The data will be refreshed and reimported over the next week."
So, like i said earlier, it's probably going to be fixed, but it's still inconvenient.

(2015-01-02, 19:51)DonLK Wrote:
(2015-01-02, 19:21)Aleksander Wrote: Trakt gave notice of the downtime on both Twitter and Facebook a week in advance. The planned downtime was only one night, but something went wrong and it took a little longer than planned. That is not unusual. Now the site is online again and it is completely usable in spite it missing some features here and there.

The 'notice' was a bit vague, what they said was
Quote:We have planned downtime and maintenance on Sunday night extending to Monday morning (PST). The site & API will be offline during this time.

Were in this notice it mentions a total overhaul of the website, including but not limited to: some data loss, some missing features, you might not be able to login.. and some other stuff.

"Downtime and maintenance" usually means "our website is having some problems, we'll look under the hood" not "here, this is not your toy, but it's a new toy, be grateful"

I admit that post was a bit vague, however four days later they posted this:
Quote:Friendly reminder that the website and API will be offline Sunday night to Monday morning. Big things happening behind the scenes.

(2015-01-02, 19:51)DonLK Wrote: It's true that a lot of people complained before the upgrade of the website being slow and being down for long periods of time, and the upgrade was meant to re-build the website in a way it doesn't bring the website down every mondays morning where there's lots of people watching lots of stuff, and i'm thankful for them for making all those enhancements, the website looks good and works seamlessly

BUT, i my account is missing some +100 episodes/15 shows and some movies, a friend of mine lost more than 500 episodes! another one couldn't log in AT ALL!
i actually contacted them on the support page and sent them an email, nobody replied. it's probably going to be fixed, i know that, but why make the users go through all this?
I'm sad to hear that you are missing some of your data, I completely agree that it is unfortunate, especially if they don't answer when you try to contact them. I've used Trakt from the start and I also follow them on Twitter, and they have been helping out people all over the place in the last few days so to me it has felt like they are handling the issues pretty well.

(2015-01-02, 19:51)DonLK Wrote: The right way to do this is: you ask the users to try the new layout, they give you feedback, you fix bugs, you fix them and you make the new layout the main one. during this time, the users that didn't try the new layout would still be able to access the old layout and use it like they always used to, and when the new layout comes, nothing is missing there, everything works, and everybody's happy.
Also, when you do something like make a new api, you contact the known app/addon/plugin makers and you give them access to the new api so they make their code compatible, and when the new layout goes live, everything works, and everybody's happy.
I agree that the optimal way to upgrade the website would involve letting at least some of the users test the site before launch, but I don't know how easy that would have been considering the new site is built from scratch.

(2015-01-02, 19:51)DonLK Wrote: Maybe my claim about Trakt paralyzing my tv routine can sound far fetched, but, i write articles about tv, i use trakt to rate what i watch, so Trakt plays a big role in giving me an 'overview' of my opinion about a show and they good/bad episodes... etc. before Trakt, i used IMDB, but IMDB doesn't do things as good as Trakt does it (and that's the reason why I love it).
I understand that Trakt being in the state it is can paralyze your routine, but I honestly can't understand how it is making it impossible for you to do your job. Sure it would have been easier if Trakt was working as supposed to, but I'm sure that you can find a around that until the developers has managed to get it back on its feet. Smile

To summarize, I think we actually agree on more than it first seemed, but my point remains unchanged. Trakt is providing a free service to all of us, and we are in no right to claim that they get the site working promptly. Instead I suggest being a bit more grateful that they are actually trying. I would be disappointed too if I experienced the same issues you are and not getting any feedback.

I still love Trakt, and once everything is fixed i will surely go back to using it, all I was trying to say is: when looking at it from a wider point of view, it looked more like a rushed launch than a planned upgrade.
I suspect that they wanted to launch the new layout on that monday because the date means something for them (the website's anniversary, perhaps?), which is sweet, but the overhaul took longer than they expected it to take, and had to make do with what they had finished making and adding the remainder of it in the next weeks after the launch.

RE: [RELEASE] trakt.tv tv/movie scrobbler - kl1k - 2015-01-02

Let's just hope a new plugin gets released soon. (As well as a updated android app)

RE: [RELEASE] trakt.tv tv/movie scrobbler - Catastrophe247 - 2015-01-02

Issues like this can be frustrating and routine breaking, but in no way are the guys that use their free time to offer this free service obligated to do anything for you. I may mow my neighbours lawn one day just because I feel like doing something nice, but that doesn't mean I have an obligation to do it again.

RE: [RELEASE] trakt.tv tv/movie scrobbler - Doeloe - 2015-01-03

Trakt works again. The rating pop up worked again. Let's hope it.s stays.

Unfortunately I wrote to soon. It worked with a movie.. Just watched an episode of a serie and no rating pop up Sad

RE: [RELEASE] trakt.tv tv/movie scrobbler - disrupted - 2015-01-03

(2015-01-03, 00:14)Doeloe Wrote: Trakt works again. The rating pop up worked again. Let's hope it.s stays.

confirmed. also got the rating dialog after watching a movie, although i didn't get the usual confirmation popup after rating it. but we're making progress Smile

edit: even managed to synchronize my local library to my trakt collection ! I'm sure these are great news for a lot of you guys Smile