Kodi Community Forum
Why not WMC as backend? - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: PVR & Live TV Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=167)
+---- Forum: Windows Media Center (WMC) (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=205)
+---- Thread: Why not WMC as backend? (/showthread.php?tid=139748)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28

RE: Why not WMC as backend? - JeffreyF - 2013-06-04

Just an update on where I am at the moment:

I've got the ffmpeg code looking right, but I need to look into the plugin because it's caching some header information that needs to be updated on every read. Doesn't look like it'll be too rough, should just be a flag to set when we open the file in the plugin.

Oh, and I'm using the .wtv file.

RE: Why not WMC as backend? - TjaLfE - 2013-06-04

I feel the excitement rising even more!!!! :-) You guys are amazing!!

RE: Why not WMC as backend? - w84no1 - 2013-06-04

This will be awesome. I used MCE for 5 years and just ditched it for mediaportal so I could use XBMC and a Raspberry Pi. I think MCE has the best recording engine and I have never missed a recording. Just started using mediaportal, so I can't comment too much, but I am so familiar with MCE. Can't wait!!

RE: Why not WMC as backend? - Sojhinn - 2013-06-04

(2013-06-04, 07:35)JeffreyF Wrote: Just an update on where I am at the moment:

I've got the ffmpeg code looking right, but I need to look into the plugin because it's caching some header information that needs to be updated on every read. Doesn't look like it'll be too rough, should just be a flag to set when we open the file in the plugin.

Oh, and I'm using the .wtv file.

I feel like a kid about to go to disneyland.

RE: Why not WMC as backend? - jdmagoo - 2013-06-04

This is gonna be epic can't wait!

RE: Why not WMC as backend? - JeffreyF - 2013-06-06

In the interest of keeping everyone updated (mostly because I know I hate not knowing what's going on when I'm waiting around for stuff like this):

So far as I can tell, ffmpeg, as expected, buffers ahead some distance into video files. Since the ffmpeg wtv code was never made to handle growing files, it's running into the end of the file in an attempt to buffer and bombing at the moment. I've been able to stay away from most of the underlying ffmpeg code and focus on what happens in wtv decoding, so unfortunately this means I need to learn that part, too. Just need some more time, hope people aren't getting too restless!

I should note that I'm getting restless about it, too. It's so close and it's frustrating that I seem to be the hold up! hahaha

Re: RE: Why not WMC as backend? - JuggalotusHeat - 2013-06-06

(2013-06-06, 17:25)JeffreyF Wrote: In the interest of keeping everyone updated (mostly because I know I hate not knowing what's going on when I'm waiting around for stuff like this):

So far as I can tell, ffmpeg, as expected, buffers ahead some distance into video files. Since the ffmpeg wtv code was never made to handle growing files, it's running into the end of the file in an attempt to buffer and bombing at the moment. I've been able to stay away from most of the underlying ffmpeg code and focus on what happens in wtv decoding, so unfortunately this means I need to learn that part, too. Just need some more time, hope people aren't getting too restless!

I should note that I'm getting restless about it, too. It's so close and it's frustrating that I seem to be the hold up! hahaha

Thanks for the update. It's ALWAYS the last mile that is a royal PITA. good luck bud!

RE: Why not WMC as backend? - rushingjs - 2013-06-06

Thanks for the update. We should all be respectfully patient. It isn't our lives we're dedicating to this. We're just reaping the benefits. And very thankfully so. Keep up the good work!

RE: Why not WMC as backend? - ppilot - 2013-06-06

Is there someplace we could donate some funds? You guys are putting an insane number of hours into this and I feel like a little something as a thank you wouldn't hurt. Even if it is enough for a decent bottle of whiskey.

Ha, I might consider it. My router just crapped out... :/

Re: Why not WMC as backend? - Livin - 2013-06-06

Jeffrey
Have you looked at Remote Potato app which works great... streams wtv with no problem.

I haven't, but does it stream files while they're being recorded?

Re: RE: Why not WMC as backend? - Livin - 2013-06-06

(2013-06-06, 22:04)JeffreyF Wrote: I haven't, but does it stream files while they're being recorded?

Yes

And btw, I play wtv files while they are being recorded,without issue on my local lan via XBMC. Worked forever for me. Remote Potato can do it streaming over the net.

RE: Why not WMC as backend? - Sojhinn - 2013-06-07

(2013-06-06, 22:04)JeffreyF Wrote: I haven't, but does it stream files while they're being recorded?

Remote potato craps out at the end of the recording it has detected. I.e it will stop playing at 5 mins if you only have 5 mins of recording at the time you started the video. This is the same issue Dr. Jeff is having right now I'm assuming.

RE: Why not WMC as backend? - JeffreyF - 2013-06-07

Yeah, that's what we're fighting.