Kodi Community Forum
Why not WMC as backend? - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: PVR & Live TV Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=167)
+---- Forum: Windows Media Center (WMC) (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=205)
+---- Thread: Why not WMC as backend? (/showthread.php?tid=139748)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28

RE: Why not WMC as backend? - rtwolfe - 2013-06-17

Ditto on Testing.

Ceton InfiniTV 4 tune running fine with WMC and Comcast. Have a functioning Advanced Launcher work around and have used Media Center Studio to tweak the UI so it is pretty clean when I come in from XBMC. But, it's still just a 'hack' and is obvious that I am no longer in XBMC.

Am pretty adept at the IT side, logs, tweaking XML, documenting bugs, etc. Happy to help.

RE: Why not WMC as backend? - rushingjs - 2013-06-17

I would be more than happy to test as well. Ceton Infinitv 4 on Windows 7, 64 bit. Verizon FIOS.

RE: Why not WMC as backend? - bry - 2013-06-17

Pretty sure this is a closed beta. Many people have offered to test and have not been accepted.

RE: Why not WMC as backend? - JeffreyF - 2013-06-17

Yeah, I'm not even sure who is testing and the bugs we already have are big enough to work with for now.

Thanks for all the interest, though.

RE: Why not WMC as backend? - krustyreturns - 2013-06-18

Some of the requests are taken, I just PM them with the info. Like Jeff says, its clear what needs to be done. Once the bigger known issues are resolved, we'll just release it and let everybody give it a try.

Re: RE: Why not WMC as backend? - bry - 2013-06-18

(2013-06-18, 04:37)krustyreturns Wrote: Some of the requests are taken, I just PM them with the info. Like Jeff says, its clear what needs to be done. Once the bigger known issues are resolved, we'll just release it and let everybody give it a try.

Good to know. Keep up the good work guys!

RE: Why not WMC as backend? - scott967 - 2013-06-18

Are you guys looking at Gotham at all? Reason I ask is I recently installed 13.0A5 and it seems like most PVR addons are broken, so I'm guessing there are significant changes?

scott s.

RE: Why not WMC as backend? - krustyreturns - 2013-06-19

(2013-06-18, 23:23)scott967 Wrote: Are you guys looking at Gotham at all? Reason I ask is I recently installed 13.0A5 and it seems like most PVR addons are broken, so I'm guessing there are significant changes?

scott s.

I did look at it briefly, noticed problems, and backed away. The first release will almost definitely be for Frodo only. We'll see what people want as the next priority afterwords.

RE: Why not WMC as backend? - JuggalotusHeat - 2013-06-19

(2013-06-18, 23:23)scott967 Wrote: Are you guys looking at Gotham at all? Reason I ask is I recently installed 13.0A5 and it seems like most PVR addons are broken, so I'm guessing there are significant changes?

scott s.

It could be that it is still pretty alpha and not ready for prime time. I'm sure some backwards compatibility is built-in to new versions.

RE: Why not WMC as backend? - skcubrats - 2013-06-19

I just wanted to let you know that you have yet another follower in this thread. For months I've been struggling to get TVHeadend working for LiveTV & PVR functions in XBMC. It felt like a constant struggle upstream until finally TVH support for my Silicondust HDHomerun tuner seemed to break forever. I scrapped my Openelec/xbmc HTPC and rebuilt it with Win7+WMC. I couldn't believe how easy LiveTV/PVR setup was in WMC.

But...We really miss XBMC! I'd love to see this project succeed so we can finally bring the best features of both products together.

There have been a lot of offers to help with beta testing, and I'll certainly throw my hat in that ring. But is there any help needed from the development side? I skipped about 10 pages of this thread, so not sure how many developers are actually working on this or what skills are needed, but I'd certainly love to lend a hand here if it would help.

RE: Why not WMC as backend? - JuggalotusHeat - 2013-06-20

skcubrat - for the time being you can search this thread for 'QuickWMC' which can be used w/ Advanced Launcher. It is a simple installer with shortcuts to the different "LiveTV" functions of WMC like schedule, tvguide, recordings etc.. You create a favorite in XBMC to launch whatever portion of it you want and whenever it detects you hitting back at the top-level menu it kicks you back to XBMC. It's not the ideal solution but it's what me and a few others have been using until this gets up and running :O).

RE: Why not WMC as backend? - JuggalotusHeat - 2013-06-24

Any updates homeslices?

RE: Why not WMC as backend? - JeffreyF - 2013-06-24

Hey guys, I'm starting a new job this week and things are probably going to be a bit hectic. I'll be working on it whenever possible, hopefully more often than not.

Re: RE: Why not WMC as backend? - JuggalotusHeat - 2013-06-24

(2013-06-24, 17:28)JeffreyF Wrote: Hey guys, I'm starting a new job this week and things are probably going to be a bit hectic. I'll be working on it whenever possible, hopefully more often than not.

Cool cool, congrats! Thanks for the update.

RE: Why not WMC as backend? - zombieagain - 2013-07-01

Sorry if this has been asked before, but will it be possible to save the recordings with a better name conventions and already in a folder structure, or will the recordings still have the inflexible WMC naming convention?

I'm really hopeful on this development, it seems to be the holy grail if it could, in the long term, handle the copy once material.

Right now my setup is way too complicated:
WMC+Mediabrowser for Live tv and recorded TV
WTV renamer + Sickbeard to rename the recordings and move them in the appropriate folders
XBMC as an external player through mediabrowser for all the other formats
TMT+VCD+ANYDVD HD for blu-rays backup
Eventghost + Irule + Nexus 7 as remote control (huge improvement in WAF, but sometime I still have issues when switching the remote control commands among WMC, TMT and XBMC)
Many other small things...

I used XBMC for years, but cable card (Ceton infinitv 4) and HBO+SHOWTIME pushed me towards WMC. WMC does a lot of things very very well but it has too many limitations.

So maybe, with the development in this thread plus the advances in blu-ray handling, I can come back almost 100% to XBMC (it would be a dream :-) )