Kodi Community Forum
Why not WMC as backend? - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: PVR & Live TV Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=167)
+---- Forum: Windows Media Center (WMC) (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=205)
+---- Thread: Why not WMC as backend? (/showthread.php?tid=139748)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28

RE: Why not WMC as backend? - Tyzing - 2013-03-11

Sooooo....where can we find the beta Smile Haha

RE: Why not WMC as backend? - asm495 - 2013-03-12

I'm happy to help test this too. Just let me know.

RE: Why not WMC as backend? - staknhalo - 2013-03-12

Hey krustyreturns, I sent you a PM with a link to an imgur album of some icons I mocked up for you.

RE: Why not WMC as backend? - krustyreturns - 2013-03-12

(2013-03-12, 13:36)staknhalo Wrote: Hey krustyreturns, I sent you a PM with a link to an imgur album of some icons I mocked up for you.

Thanks. Check it out:

RE: Why not WMC as backend? - wsume99 - 2013-03-12

(2013-03-03, 05:38)krustyreturns Wrote: I want to make sure the addon does something reasonable when it tries to play a content protected wtv file. Can someone who records premium content with wmc give me have a short sample recording of a an protected wtv file?
I'm betting you'll find a lot of support for playback of premium content. I'm wondering if you detect a file that contains protected content can you have XBMC launch WMC as an external player to playback the file?

RE: Why not WMC as backend? - krustyreturns - 2013-03-12

(2013-03-12, 20:51)wsume99 Wrote:
(2013-03-03, 05:38)krustyreturns Wrote: I want to make sure the addon does something reasonable when it tries to play a content protected wtv file. Can someone who records premium content with wmc give me have a short sample recording of a an protected wtv file?
I'm betting you'll find a lot of support for playback of premium content. I'm wondering if you detect a file that contains protected content can you have XBMC launch WMC as an external player to playback the file?

I've had the exact save idea. I want to use my other program "quickwmc" to launch wmc straight into playing of protected content and going back into xbmc when stopped. I also want to detect protected "live-tv" content and launch directly into wmc for viewing this too. I view these features as secondary though, I want to get the basic pvr functionality out and debugged before I take on this layer, but agree I think it would be cool if it works.

RE: Why not WMC as backend? - wsume99 - 2013-03-12

(2013-03-12, 21:00)krustyreturns Wrote: I want to use my other program "quickwmc" to launch wmc straight into playing of protected content and going back into xbmc when stopped. I also want to detect protected "live-tv" content and launch directly into wmc for viewing this too.
Exactly. Sounds like you have a plan and a good handle on what you are doing as well. Good luck.

Re: Why not WMC as backend? - bry - 2013-03-13

Anyway to set the recording path to a network share? The limited capacity that most people are running with the use of ssd would make recording anything significant a pita.

RE: Why not WMC as backend? - krustyreturns - 2013-03-13

(2013-03-13, 01:33)bry- Wrote: Anyway to set the recording path to a network share? The limited capacity that most people are running with the use of ssd would make recording anything significant a pita.

I assume your question is in regards to protected content... yeah, my plan is to enable this to use a network share, however the drm could be such that it will only allow the content to be played on the recording computer, so it still will not play if that's the case.

RE: Why not WMC as backend? - spyder - 2013-03-13

Looks like you've made a lot of progress since I last commented here. Has this been tested on multiple clients simultaneously?(within the limitation of the tuners available of course)

I've made progress, but the only person who has used it so far is me, so take it with a grain of salt. Hopefully that will change soon. So far I have only tested two computer setups (server/client) I haven't tried multiple clients yet, but I don't expect a problem (!). I'll give that a go tomorrow and see what happens, I have the capability of running four clients and one server, it should be interesting.

I want to stress again that I am only working on windows clients right now.

RE: Why not WMC as backend? - asm495 - 2013-03-13

Personally I can't wait to get my hands on this. Looks like great work so far.

I've always felt restricted in having to use Extenders with WMC for TV and felt that WMC was lacking compared to XBMC for media. This can potentially give the best of both worlds.

RE: Why not WMC as backend? - bry - 2013-03-13

(2013-03-13, 03:08)krustyreturns Wrote:
(2013-03-13, 01:33)bry- Wrote: Anyway to set the recording path to a network share? The limited capacity that most people are running with the use of ssd would make recording anything significant a pita.

I assume your question is in regards to protected content... yeah, my plan is to enable this to use a network share, however the drm could be such that it will only allow the content to be played on the recording computer, so it still will not play if that's the case.

That is fine - I only intend on watching protected content on 1 HTPC unit. My concern is more about storage.

Thank you for the quick reply.

RE: Why not WMC as backend? - spyder - 2013-03-13

(2013-03-13, 04:55)krustyreturns Wrote: I've made progress, but the only person who has used it so far is me, so take it with a grain of salt. Hopefully that will change soon. So far I have only tested two computer setups (server/client) I haven't tried multiple clients yet, but I don't expect a problem (!). I'll give that a go tomorrow and see what happens, I have the capability of running four clients and one server, it should be interesting.

I want to stress again that I am only working on windows clients right now.

That's why I had suggested earlier that the other client types should possibly bypass the live tv server and use the hardware live stream(if needed/possible) I think we should have no problems accessing the recorded tv(DRM free), I connect to a WMC backend using upnp. Is that how you are handling viewing the recordings? If there is any issues with DRM, could we just transcode/re-encode the file?

(2013-03-13, 16:54)spyder Wrote: That's why I had suggested earlier that the other client types should possibly bypass the live tv server and use the hardware live stream(if needed/possible) I think we should have no problems accessing the recorded tv(DRM free), I connect to a WMC backend using upnp. Is that how you are handling viewing the recordings? If there is any issues with DRM, could we just transcode/re-encode the file?

Not sure I understood you correctly, but here goes:
I have never tried playing wtv files on other OS's, having only windows machines myself, but I assume that it plays them fine, so long they are stored on a network share. Obviously no pvr addon is needed for this (I think that's what you meant by "bypass the live tv server"). However, I would like other OS clients to be able to do things like schedule recordings, see the guide, watch live tv, from a windows server - these would require the pvr addon.

Using the pvr addon I am working on, the recordings show up inside of the "LiveTV" part of xbmc as part of the setting up of the client/server thing - but, under the hood, it is essentially doing what you are doing now by using a network share.

I don't know about transcoding and wmc's DRM, all I can say is my software will not (and could not) work around it.