Kodi Community Forum
OpenELEC Testbuilds for RaspberryPi - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Raspberry Pi (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=166)
+---- Thread: OpenELEC Testbuilds for RaspberryPi (/showthread.php?tid=140518)

RE: OpenELEC Testbuilds for RaspberryPi - mcarni - 2013-03-06

@MilhouseVH
Quote:I'd be interested to hear how you get on, particularly if it kicks in successfully, and how long your delay is.

Yesterday i replaced the firmware and kernel and added the "iotimeout=5000" option to my cmdline,txt.
Openelec booted fine, all family was happy, we managed to watch some cartoon for my kid and a tv series for my wife. At the end of the evening I cycled throuh 5/6 reboot cylces and pi always responded correctly.
I didn't noltice any delaywhile booting, but I might have missed it.

this morning I tried again to power on the Pi, unfortunately it didn't work, still missing signal on the TV display.
i didn't have time to test it more, I will do it tonight, I just had time to rpelace corrupeted files so that it will survive the first boot.
if you want me to test any change i will be happy to do it...

thanks a lot

m

RE: OpenELEC Testbuilds for RaspberryPi - tuxen - 2013-03-06

(2013-03-01, 17:05)popcornmix Wrote:
(2013-03-01, 15:55)rbej Wrote: I give command

cat /proc/sys/vm/swappiness

and i get value 1

I'm currently testing a image from sraue which doesn't have swappiness enabled.
If yours has it set to 1, then that sounds good.

I mentioned it here and on git. Because swap was in right up to RC3 and then it got taken out for some reason I do not know why specifically because 256MB actually needs it under particular circumstances to keep it running out of ram and restart XBMC (which already have been discussed there are other tricks, but they hurt the system in other ways and swap is the only solid solution) and it doesn't hurt the 512MB version at all as someone else said. Contrary. milhouseVH gave was really nice and gave a somewhat reason but nothing from sraue. (look under issues)
Anyway I suppose rbej just kept it? Smile

It should all be fixable though with a simple cmdline.txt parameter, detection or simply including the system so swapon command is available?. The wear and tear of cards I really don't believe with that number of swapiness plus I have cards that have really been missused for stuff like this and worse that are 4-5 yeats old and function fine.

Lets hope sraue has something up his sleeve. Users are confused because swap is enabled in every other distos and most builds between RC2 and 3 which one might think could hurt OE when users do not understand why it's working on another distro and abandon.

Edit: wow sorry for the long rant guys. And thanks for your work.

RE: OpenELEC Testbuilds for RaspberryPi - Milhouse - 2013-03-06

(2013-03-06, 09:44)mcarni Wrote: Yesterday i replaced the firmware and kernel and added the "iotimeout=5000" option to my cmdline,txt.
Openelec booted fine, all family was happy, we managed to watch some cartoon for my kid and a tv series for my wife. At the end of the evening I cycled throuh 5/6 reboot cylces and pi always responded correctly.
I didn't noltice any delaywhile booting, but I might have missed it.

this morning I tried again to power on the Pi, unfortunately it didn't work, still missing signal on the TV display.
i didn't have time to test it more, I will do it tonight, I just had time to rpelace corrupeted files so that it will survive the first boot.
if you want me to test any change i will be happy to do it...

thanks a lot

m

Thanks for the feedback. So you had corrupted boot files, just from rebooting (and no system update)? That's a little odd.

(2013-03-06, 10:34)MilhouseVH Wrote: Thanks for the feedback. So you had corrupted boot files, just from rebooting (and no system update)? That's a little odd.

yes, no update, only reboot, or actually, reboot worked fine, after 5 reboot cycles I kissed the pi goodnight and selected poweroff on the xbmc menu.
This morning on a cold start i could not boot, I initially thought it was the iotimeout doing its thing, but after some attempts I just could not boot.

I don't feel particularly fortunate in this period, so if you believe it is a problem with the SD card which is failing and I am the only one having this problem, I understand,
... no problem...

thanks

m

If you put the SD card in a PC, does it mount the FAT partition OK, or does the PC want to run an fdisk check? Did replacing the boot files on the SD card get your Pi booting again? I'm really not sure how the boot files can become corrupted when you haven't performed a system update.

If the problem continues then disabling the media check feature to rule it out might be an idea (set iotimeout to 0, or remove it entirely) and see if the bootfile corruption continues, in which case replacing the SD card might be worth considering as it sounds a little more serious than the mmc0 timeout that media check is supposed to detect.

(2013-03-06, 10:51)MilhouseVH Wrote: If you put the SD card in a PC, does it mount the FAT partition OK, or does the PC want to run an fdisk check? Did replacing the boot files on the SD card get your Pi booting again? I'm really not sure how the boot files can become corrupted when you haven't performed a system update.

If the problem continues then disabling the media check feature to rule it out might be an idea (set iotimeout to 0, or remove it entirely) and see if the bootfile corruption continues, in which case replacing the SD card might be worth considering as it sounds a little more serious than the mmc0 timeout that media check is supposed to detect.

I haven't ried with a Windows PC, but inserting the SD card in on e of my linux computers I get both System and Storage to show up in my file manager.
Replacing firmware and kernel brings back openelec at the next boot, at least I can power up the pi, next reboots are a bit of a hit or miss, yesterday night it worked fine, not this morning. Npo update involved, just normal power up, normal use, poweroff/reboot.

Thanks

m

RE: OpenELEC Testbuilds for RaspberryPi - miappa - 2013-03-06

@mcarni
Just a heads up, I sometimes have this problem due to a broken SD slot and/or bad connection between reader and SD.
Also, have had this problem when SD is physically damaged. Look at card for damages, specially at the top corners.

To test if it is bad connection;
Push gently on SD from underneath to get connection when booting and see if it boots correct.

(2013-03-06, 11:45)miappa Wrote: @mcarni
Just a heads up, I sometimes have this problem due to a broken SD slot and/or bad connection between reader and SD.
Also, have had this problem when SD is physically damaged. Look at card for damages, specially at the top corners.

Push gently on SD from underneath to get connection when booting and see if it boots correct.

ok, thanks, somehow I feel relieved... i will try to move the Sd card and le you know.

thanks

m

RE: OpenELEC Testbuilds for RaspberryPi - rbej - 2013-03-06

Updated Frodo Branch

- Xbmc Frodo 12.0.4 (many new fixes)

- remove Cpu usage bar from Menu Information

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=140518&pid=1350100#pid1350100

RE: OpenELEC Testbuilds for RaspberryPi - spjonez - 2013-03-06

I haven't tried the build rbej just posted yet, but I'm having an issue with 3D movies not switching my TV to 3D mode. A while back a patch was introduced that flipped my TV into the correct 3D mode by naming files like, "Movie (Year).3DSBS.ext". I know the file is 3DSBS (it's double width on my computer, or if I remove the 3DSBS and switch modes manually on my TV it works) but when I add that to the file name it looks like it's only playing one frame centered on the screen?

RE: OpenELEC Testbuilds for RaspberryPi - popcornmix - 2013-03-06

(2013-03-06, 14:43)spjonez Wrote: I haven't tried the build rbej just posted yet, but I'm having an issue with 3D movies not switching my TV to 3D mode. A while back a patch was introduced that flipped my TV into the correct 3D mode by naming files like, "Movie (Year).3DSBS.ext". I know the file is 3DSBS (it's double width on my computer, or if I remove the 3DSBS and switch modes manually on my TV it works) but when I add that to the file name it looks like it's only playing one frame centered on the screen?

What build are you using?

What does
tvservice -s
report when playing a 3D video. What does
tvservice -m CEA
report?

RE: OpenELEC Testbuilds for RaspberryPi - doveman2 - 2013-03-06

I still don't have access via SSH/WinSCP with rbej's latest update. I'm currently using NFSBoot and was going to try and copy it back to the USB stick as it's a bit slow for me but maybe I need to just do a fresh install and then copy my .xbmc folder over the top, assuming I can do that whilst it's running and that will ensure I don't lose anything from the current install.

Looking at the NFS Storage folder, I see an empty .ssh folder and a .cache/ssh folder with several files in it. Does that sound right?

Ping is the same as before, with one or more General failures out of the four attempts each time I try it.

I really need to fix this as I need to setup the remote properly and need to run irw to do so.

There's no point trying to set a manual IP address to see if changing it helps as I already know from previously that setting it manually doesn't work on OE or Raspbmc and causes loss of connectivity.

(2013-03-06, 11:45)miappa Wrote: @mcarni

@miappa, i think you hit the nail on the head, i trie dto bend slightly the SD card and I manage to boot the same card that was unbootable just few minutes before.
Both the board and the Sd card seemd ok, but I will check it better later.
Did you have the same problems with a caseless pi? Do you reckon I should worry about buying the case?

Thanks

m

Just a suggestion Rbej, and hopefully it won't increase your workload, would you mind including a link to any new patches when you first mention them. For example, this "Remove CPU usage bar from Menu Information" change, is there a patch on github for this so that enquiring users could find out more about it? Many thanks!

(2013-03-06, 18:36)doveman2 Wrote: I still don't have access via SSH/WinSCP with rbej's latest update.

Can you post your cmdline.txt? You definitely didn't add iotimeout to the end without a space, so "ssh" became "sshiotimeout=5000", thus disabling ssh (and not enabling media check either)?

RE: OpenELEC Testbuilds for RaspberryPi - doveman2 - 2013-03-06

(2013-03-06, 22:26)MilhouseVH Wrote: Can you post your cmdline.txt? You definitely didn't add iotimeout to the end without a space, so "ssh" became "sshiotimeout=5000", thus disabling ssh (and not enabling media check either)?

I was using this:

boot=NFS=192.168.1.64:/NFS/OpenElec/System disk=NFS=192.168.1.64:/NFS/OpenElec/Storage ssh quiet ip=192.168.1.68:192.168.1.64:192.168.1.0:255.255.255.0:RPi:eth0:off iotimeout=5000

I've installed a stateofme build now running completely from SD and SSH is working with that. Once I've finished testing, I'll try changing the commandline back to boot from NFS and see if that works and then try updating with rbej's build.