Kodi Community Forum
OpenELEC Testbuilds for RaspberryPi - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Raspberry Pi (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=166)
+---- Thread: OpenELEC Testbuilds for RaspberryPi (/showthread.php?tid=140518)

RE: OpenELEC Testbuilds for RaspberryPi - Milhouse - 2013-03-22

1. Do the stateofme.com builds include the updated PR1388 buffer patch? If not, then it is correct to still be using the "old" cachemembuffersize.
2. This is a minor nit really, they could be merged but it doesn't really make any difference.
3. thestateofme.com builds don't include swap - it was disabled because it causes problems for some users (eg. those with /storage mounted over NFS or SMB). Eventually it will be reintroduced when there is a way to enable it only for those that need it/want it/can use it.

RE: OpenELEC Testbuilds for RaspberryPi - tuxen - 2013-03-23

(2013-03-22, 22:40)tfft Wrote:
(2013-03-18, 13:22)popcornmix Wrote: Probably something to do with the cachemembuffersize changes. Did you follow:
Quote:Please read this:

https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/1388

No more cachemembuffersize in advenced setting. Please delete it and add this:

<alwaysforcebuffer>false</alwaysforcebuffer>
<freememorycachepercent>5</freememorycachepercent>
I just downloaded r13618.img (from thestateofme) and its default advancedsettings.xml (from the repository head) still contains cachemembuffersize - why is that ? Shouldn't advancedsettings.xml be updated and committed in the repository with the appropriate settings in order to make RPi function properly ?
Looking at the link its still open only xbian accepted it so far and ofcause rbej but not official, that would be the reason it's not in the semi official (Chris Swan) advancedsettings file.

Could you also try downgrade or upgrade from Chris Swans r13618 (not by writing a image but a normal update). A bug snug in between r13577 and r13607 that corrupts the SYSTEM file at update.

RE: OpenELEC Testbuilds for RaspberryPi - rbej - 2013-03-23

This is kernel bug.

https://github.com/raspberrypi/linux/commit/690c641b4aeefa1df72ae783613afcb6b8ae7347

Revert this and issue is gone.

RE: OpenELEC Testbuilds for RaspberryPi - doveman2 - 2013-03-23

(2013-03-09, 18:04)doveman2 Wrote: Textmode does indeed show the problem, which is that it says the Permissions are 0644 which are too open for the ssh files in storage/.cache/ssh and therefore it won't use them and so there's no ssh access. I'm not sure how this can be fixed as obviously running Windows 7 I can't set Linux permissions on the files.

Just quoting myself as a reminder of where I got to previously. I recently transferred the boot from NFS to USB and still couldn't SSH in.

I've then accessed the USB stick in Virtualbox and deleted all the files in /storage/.cache./ssh so I figured it couldn't still be saying that the Permissions are 0644 and too open. I couldn't even open /storage/.ssh so I changed the permissions on that directory to 0755 and then saw it was empty.

I still had no access via SSH or SFTP. Pinging it got a response. The OpenElec settings show "Start SSH server at boot" is enabled. NFS and SMB from the Pi works fine.

Checking in Virtualbox again, I saw OE had recreated the files in .cache/ssh and with the following permissions

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 672 2013-03-09 11:14 ssh_host_dsa_key
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 590 2013-03-09 11:14 ssh_host_dsa_key.pub
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 965 2013-03-09 11:13 ssh_host_key
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 630 2013-03-09 11:13 ssh_host_key.pub
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1679 2013-03-09 11:13 ssh_host_rsa_key
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 382 2013-03-09 11:13 ssh_host_rsa_key.pub

so I changed them with chmod 0700 * to tighten access to only the Owner and that worked and I can now SSH in. It seems strange that OE created the files with the wrong permissions though, after I deleted them and I'm a bit worried that if it needs to recreate them in future (say if any of them get corrupted) then it will do the same thing and break access again.

Some other good news is that Static IP is working for me now, as it was a pain using SSH with it changing. I set it it cmdline.txt, not using OpenElec settings though so that might still break the network connection as it did for me before.

RE: OpenELEC Testbuilds for RaspberryPi - Milhouse - 2013-03-23

I know OE creates it's keys in .cache/ssh, but I've always put my own public keys in /storage/.ssh and that's worked fine for me, allowing me to connect without a password as root, so I know OE is using my public key/known_hosts when I connect. Not really sure what the purpose of the .cache/ssh folder is.

OK thanks, I could explore doing that. I'm not going to be accessing it over the WAN anyway so I'm not concerned about security anyway but I guess it would be nice if putty didn't prompt me for the password everytime.

RE: OpenELEC Testbuilds for RaspberryPi - rbej - 2013-03-23

Frodo Branch Updated

- many fixes in Omxplayer (sync up with dvdplayer master changes) version 2

- remove Network Cache Redux (incompatibile with new Omxplayer fixes)

Delete <alwaysforcebuffer>xxxxx</alwaysforcebuffer> and <freememorycachepercent>xxxxx</freememorycachepercent> from advencedsettings and add <cachemembuffersize>xxxxx</cachemembuffersize>

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=140518&pid=1350100#pid135010

After two days of having LiveTV with the MediaPortal addon working OK (it did go very out of sync after I left it playing in the background the first day), today I suddenly could only get audio, no video, even playing recordings via Videos and not the PVR addon.

Turned out that somehow my config.txt had gotten corrupted so that it obviously wasn't using the MPEG2 codec key. I scanned the SD with Windows and it said the first allocation block of the file was invalid and moved it to a FOUND folder, where I opened it and found a lot of garbage at the end but the actual config was intact so I just copied and pasted that into a new document.

I'm using iotimeout=5000 but I wouldn't go as far as to say that failed, as the file may have got corrupted when removing the SD from my PC or maybe I didn't shutdown the Pi properly once.

Finally got my remote working properly as well. It seems XBMC was ignoring my user remote.xml and using the system one. I can only guess there was some contextual error in it that caused it to be ignored, so I backed up my user one, copied the system one over the user one and then copied and pasted the global section from the backup and then it worked.

Anyway, next question is how do I setup NFS mounts considering that OE doesn't appear to use fstab, unlike Raspbmc where I can just stick something like this in there

192.168.1.55:/NFS/Media/Music /media/Music nfs _netdev,defaults,user,auto,noatime,intr 0 0

I can add them from within XBMC but I understand they're more stable if they're mounted in fstab instead.

RE: OpenELEC Testbuilds for RaspberryPi - Milhouse - 2013-03-23

(2013-03-23, 21:27)doveman2 Wrote: Anyway, next question is how do I setup NFS mounts considering that OE doesn't appear to use fstab, unlike Raspbmc where I can just stick something like this in there

192.168.1.55:/NFS/Media/Music /media/Music nfs _netdev,defaults,user,auto,noatime,intr 0 0

I can add them from within XBMC but I understand they're more stable if they're mounted in fstab instead.

If you create a file called /storage/.config/autostart.sh it will be executed as XBMC starts, so you can add the mount commands in there and you will have the mounts available within XBMC.

RE: OpenELEC Testbuilds for RaspberryPi - luxuspur - 2013-03-23

i updated to lastest build and my rasp don't boot anymore.. it hangs on the colorful rainbow screen! any tips what i can do? i had the problem with the build before

RE: OpenELEC Testbuilds for RaspberryPi - tuxen - 2013-03-23

(2013-03-23, 08:38)rbej Wrote: This is kernel bug.

https://github.com/raspberrypi/linux/commit/690c641b4aeefa1df72ae783613afcb6b8ae7347

Revert this and issue is gone.

Yeah all kernel patches are reverted from official for now and that fixed it.
Thanks for showing me the exact commit rbej.

RE: OpenELEC Testbuilds for RaspberryPi - doveman2 - 2013-03-24

(2013-03-23, 21:30)MilhouseVH Wrote: If you create a file called /storage/.config/autostart.sh it will be executed as XBMC starts, so you can add the mount commands in there and you will have the mounts available within XBMC.

Cool, thanks.

EDIT: Just trying this at the commandline to work out what I need to put in autostart.sh and this is what I get

root / # mount 192.168.1.64:/NFS/Media/Music /media/Music
mount: mounting 192.168.1.64:/NFS/Media/Music on /media/Music failed: Stale NFS file handle

so do you know what else I need to add?

I powered up my Pi this morning and when I turned my TV on a minute later, I only had a black screen and had to SSH in and kill xbmc.bin to get it to restart and then it was usable.

Even though my TV was off, it still is seen by my other devices (PC, Xbox) so the Pi should have been able to see it as well and I shouldn't need to turn it on before the Pi.

I've pasted the log from the first boot http://pastebin.com/y0DMitwx and the second http://pastebin.com/i1L2bYAY if anyone could take a look to see if it's obvious why it didn't work the first time.

I'm not currently using any hdmi settings in config.txt just

sdtv_aspect=3
sdtv_mode=2

as previously when I used the correct hdmi settings for 1280x720 (hdmi_group=1 hdmi_mode=4), I just got a messed up display.
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=156753&highlight=hdmi_group

RE: OpenELEC Testbuilds for RaspberryPi - popcornmix - 2013-03-24

(2013-03-24, 13:42)doveman2 Wrote: I powered up my Pi this morning and when I turned my TV on a minute later, I only had a black screen and had to SSH in and kill xbmc.bin to get it to restart and then it was usable.

Even though my TV was off, it still is seen by my other devices (PC, Xbox) so the Pi should have been able to see it as well and I shouldn't need to turn it on before the Pi.

The Pi reads the TV's edid on boot, to determine the resolutions supported. TV's should provide their edid when powered off (the Pi provides the 5V signal to power the edid rom) but they don't all support this.
If you always connect to the same TV, you can download the edid to sdcard:

sudo tvservice -d /boot/edid.dat

and add:
hdmi_edid_file=1
hdmi_force_hotplug=1

(and remove hdmi_group/hmdi_mode). Now the pi will read the TV's edid from the file, and it should behaves the same as it does when TV is powered on.

sdtv_aspect/sdtv have no effect on hdmi, so can be removed.

(2013-03-24, 15:29)popcornmix Wrote:
(2013-03-24, 13:42)doveman2 Wrote: I powered up my Pi this morning and when I turned my TV on a minute later, I only had a black screen and had to SSH in and kill xbmc.bin to get it to restart and then it was usable.

The Pi reads the TV's edid on boot, to determine the resolutions supported. TV's should provide their edid when powered off (the Pi provides the 5V signal to power the edid rom) but they don't all support this.
If you always connect to the same TV, you can download the edid to sdcard:

sudo tvservice -d /boot/edid.dat

and add:
hdmi_edid_file=1
hdmi_force_hotplug=1

(and remove hdmi_group/hmdi_mode). Now the pi will read the TV's edid from the file, and it should behaves the same as it does when TV is powered on.

sdtv_aspect/sdtv have no effect on hdmi, so can be removed.

Thanks but I just get

root / # sudo tvservice -d /boot/edid.dat
-sh: sudo: command not found
root / # sudo tvservice
-sh: sudo: command not found

I've got the sdtv_ settings in there because eventually this Pi will be going to my brother to use with his composite CRT TV but whilst I'm setting it up/testing I'm using it with my TV (which is also a CRT TV actually, but a HD Sony one with DVI input).