Kodi Community Forum
OpenELEC Testbuilds for RaspberryPi - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Raspberry Pi (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=166)
+---- Thread: OpenELEC Testbuilds for RaspberryPi (/showthread.php?tid=140518)

RE: OpenELEC Testbuilds for RaspberryPi - doveman2 - 2013-07-20

Just updated to the 13/07 Gotham build.

Although the wizard popped up on first boot and I set the Regional Setting to English (was default), in the OE settings it shows Keyboard - US and if I click on it to change, it just displays an empty box.

With Frodo, I recall there was a setting something like "Keyboard Repeat" which I had to disable otherwise it would randomly scroll through the tabs/options quite a lot and I had to press my remote a couple of times to stop it. I can't seem to find this setting anymore though and I am having this problem again. It also seems to be missing a lot of keypresses even though my Emprex RF remote has good range and the Pi is only 3ft away (I think the receiver's registering them but they're not getting acted on by XBMC). I'm only running from SD at the moment though, so I'll see how it is once I'm running from USB (and maybe enable an overclock).

It's been so long I can't recall exactly what cmdline.txt should be! If the USB only has one partition (which MiniTool Partition Wizard shows it has, an ext4 one), would this be right?

boot=/dev/mmcblk0p1 disk=/dev/sda2 ssh quiet

I'm not sure as I'd think it would be sda1 but the above's what I've got in one of my backups

I had another one with

boot=/dev/sda2 disk=/dev/sda4 ssh quiet

where I presume I put SYSTEM on sda2 and STORAGE on sda4 (I recall I was advised I might as well leave SYSTEM on the SD as it's all loaded into RAM anyway). Again it's confusing why it would be using those numbers, rather than sda1 and sda2 though.

There's no way to edit the files on the SD other than removing it and plugging it into my PC is there? I'm pretty sure there wasn't but maybe something's changed since I last used this.

Looking through my old advancedsettings.xml I found

<adjustrefreshrate>
<override>
<fps>23.976</fps>
<refresh>60.0</refresh>
</override>
<override>
<fps>50.000</fps>
<refresh>60.0</refresh>
</override>
<override>
<fps>60.000</fps>
<refresh>60.0</refresh>
</override>
<fallback>
<refresh>60.0</refresh>
</fallback>
</adjustrefreshrate>

I presume this is only needed for HDMI/DVI TVs such as mine that only do 60hz (for other LCD TVs that can handle 24/50/60hz, you obviously wouldn't want to do this) and that when using the composite output it's fixed at 50 or 60hz anyway so this wouldn't make any difference?

By the way, this is a handy little tip someone gave me to prevent the SD card and the Storage partition showing up in the video and music lists.

<excludefromlisting>
<regexp>[!-._ \\/](?-i)(flash|storage|Storage)[-._ \\/]</regexp> <!-- Hide the System and Storage folders on openelec -->
</excludefromlisting>

stick that in the <video> and <audio> sections and you're sorted Smile

RE: OpenELEC Testbuilds for RaspberryPi - Milhouse - 2013-07-20

If you only have the one partition on the USB stick:
Code:
boot=/dev/mmcblk0p1 disk=/dev/sda1 ssh quiet iotimeout=5000

If your ext4 partition is not the primary (sda1) partition then it's most likely also formatted with a primary FAT partition.

As for editing files on the SD card, use ssh and vi while its connected to the Pi. Remount the /flash partition read-write with "mount -o remount,rw /flash", edit your files, then remount read-only with "mount -o remount,ro /flash"

@MilhouseVH

Thanks, it didn't seems right but I thought it might be a Linux thing I didn't understand Wink

I imagine in the past I'd just used an image, which contained both a FAT and ext4 partition, extracted to the USB but there's currently only a single, ext4, partition on there, so I guess I must have manually reformatted it. I might even have been using NFS boot last time I used the Pi, so I'll probably need to update the files on the USB from my backup anyway.

Thanks for the tip about editing files on the SD card, that'll come in very handy Smile

RE: Streaming HD content issue, video constantly buffering - Rui Filipe - 2013-07-20

(2013-07-20, 00:16)kataiba Wrote: I stream HD over over wifi from the internet using rbej Gotham build from 17.06. It's the only one that works very well. Hope it helps.
Thanks for sharing your opinion. when have time will give it a try, but just for testing because unfortunately I need a more recent build due to updated librtmp...

(2013-07-19, 15:18)popcornmix Wrote: You can download start.elf and fixup.dat and replace the ones on FAT partition to fix this:
https://github.com/raspberrypi/firmware/tree/master/boot

Do we just download these by clicking on "View Raw" as I can't see a specific download button?

RE: OpenELEC Testbuilds for RaspberryPi - popcornmix - 2013-07-20

(2013-07-20, 02:01)doveman2 Wrote:
(2013-07-19, 15:18)popcornmix Wrote: You can download start.elf and fixup.dat and replace the ones on FAT partition to fix this:
https://github.com/raspberrypi/firmware/tree/master/boot

Do we just download these by clicking on "View Raw" as I can't see a specific download button?

Yes.

RE: OpenELEC Testbuilds for RaspberryPi - tuxen - 2013-07-20

@doveman2 and milhouseVH:
Actually its better to use the label (at least for disk) in cmdline.txt like this:
Code:
boot=LABEL=System  disk=LABEL=Storage  ssh  quiet
For 2 reasons: first if you have multiple USB sticks/hard drives especially in combination with a hub or if you switch them around sometimes openELEC does not know which is which on boot, second if you do a hard reset from the openELEC settings it will use this string to label the drive when it cleans and writes the new partition, if you use the drive id the ext4 partition will get no label at all.

(2013-07-18, 14:56)delinend Wrote:
(2013-07-18, 12:56)tuxen Wrote:
(2013-07-16, 09:52)delinend Wrote: Thanks Popcornmix. But this did not Work for me.Rolleyes

I allso se the problem on OpenELEC Frodo official 3.0.6

I only see the problem, on my large LG television with HDMI, and not on my PC monitor Dell allso with HDMI (same Raspberry box).

I always set "Deinterlace video" to "Auto" and Default to all movies, and if I set it to "OFF", then there is no libsync problems at all Huh

The problem is not on all movies. So maybe it have something to do, with audio bitrate ?

Btw. my "Adjust display refresh rate to match video" is set to "Always".

PS: I'll make a video sample to you.

Best regards

The problem is most likely lag on your tv if you have many image processing settings on or the automatic ones it does according to the source. 375ms is a lot though.

Hi Tuxen.

Just tryed it, on a Samsung 52", and I see the same problem Huh
Also tryed to disable all auto Picture processing stuffs.. But no.
Sorry I have no idea then. Other than it sounds like popcornmix fix. Odd.

Using

hdmi_group=1
hdmi_mode=4

results in the display being fixed at 640x480 on my DVI HDTV.

According to this page http://raspberrypi.stackexchange.com/tags/config.txt/info and this one http://elinux.org/RPi_Configuration these settings should give 720p@60hz, which is what I normally run my TV at with my PC (it does 1080i@60hz but that's a lot less sharp).

Actually, this problem happens whether I have just the hdmi_mode=4 or hdmi_group=1 as well.

It's almost like those sites have got the groups mixed up, as mode=4 with group=2 should give 640x480 according to their tables, so I tried group=2 instead but that does the exact same thing.

However, if I don't use any hdmi settings it works and lets me choose from four resolutions, including 720p.

Fast forward on DVD rip (IFO, VOB) doesn't seem to work, although it says fast forward it seems to rewind and pressing play to stop ffwd or rewind seems to re-start the DVD, or at least the chapter.

I can't seem to find the "mixdown audio" setting anymore, which I thought was under "Settings - System - Audio Output" before. Playback of multi-channel video is extremely quiet as a result, whereas stereo video is fine.

(2013-07-20, 02:04)popcornmix Wrote:
(2013-07-20, 02:01)doveman2 Wrote: Do we just download these by clicking on "View Raw" as I can't see a specific download button?

Yes.

Thanks.

(2013-07-20, 02:45)tuxen Wrote: @doveman2 and milhouseVH:
Actually its better to use the label (at least for disk) in cmdline.txt like this:
Code:
boot=LABEL=System  disk=LABEL=Storage  ssh  quiet
For 2 reasons: first if you have multiple USB sticks/hard drives especially in combination with a hub or if you switch them around sometimes openELEC does not know which is which on boot, second if you do a hard reset from the openELEC settings it will use this string to label the drive when it cleans and writes the new partition, if you use the drive id the ext4 partition will get no label at all.

Thanks for the tip, that will no doubt avoid some trouble Smile

EDIT: A lot of sites refer to using e2label to label devices but that doesn't seem to be included with OE. I found out we can use these commands though, so I thought I'd pass them on in case anyone else needs them

To show the current labels for all devices:
ls -l /dev/disk/by-label

To change the label for /dev/sda1:
tune2fs -L USB1 /dev/sda1

EDIT2: OK, this doesn't make any sense! After changing the label as above, I checked it again with the first command and it showed it had changed but when I reboot and check again, it's changed back to it's previous lable of USB_16GB. What's even weirder is that I changed cmdline.txt to

boot=LABEL=System disk=LABEL=USB1 ssh quiet iotimeout=5000

so it shouldn't even work if the label is USB_16GB but it's booting OK. Actually, on the next boot it failed saying it couldn't find USB1, so I think it only works for one reboot and then if I don't change the label again, as it's been reset to USB_16GB it fails. I used Partition Wizard on my PC to change the label to USB1 and then it booted again but failed again on the next boot and checking I can see it's been relabeled USB_16GB, so something is relabeling it this on each boot.I guess I'll just edit the cmdline.txt to use USB_16GB for now!

Regarding hiding unwanted locations in video/music, using

<excludefromlisting>
<regexp>[!-._ \\/](?-i)(flash|storage|Storage)[-._ \\/]</regexp> <!-- Hide the System and Storage folders on openelec -->
</excludefromlisting>

didn't actually work that well for me, as I wanted to Add a source (just to the filelist, not the library) from the USB and whilst I could browse to it and select the folder, it wouldn't then show in the filelist because of the above. I changed it just to exclude flash and now I have Storage and USB_16GB both listed. I wouldn't mind having just one of those showing I guess (I have neither with the above setting), preferably the latter as it lists additional folders I've added (such as Calibration) to the root of the device that Storage doesn't show, so if anyone can tell me what I need to put to achieve that, I'd be grateful.

EDIT: Nevermind, this seems to be working again now!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I also seem to be having problems with USB sticks not auto-mounting. The first time I plugged a spare stick in (to my hub) it did automount and I unmounted it with the following commands to do a speed test:

umount /dev/sdb1
mkdir /var/media/sdb1
mount /dev/sdb1 /var/media/sdb1

Then I moved the stick to the next port, which doesn't work (a problem with cascading hubs and the Pi) and then unplugged it, which caused the Pi to reboot, then tried it in the next port (which also doesn't work) then unplugged it (no reboot this time) and plugged it back into the first port but then it wouldn't auto-mount, even after rebooting. I mounted it manually with lines 2 and 3 from above but has using those commands in the first place broken the auto-mount, as obviously I need it to do this when my brother (who this Pi is for) plugs in his sticks as he won't want to have to SSH in to mount them.

(2013-07-20, 04:05)doveman2 Wrote: I can't seem to find the "mixdown audio" setting anymore, which I thought was under "Settings - System - Audio Output" before. Playback of multi-channel video is extremely quiet as a result, whereas stereo video is fine.

On Gotham you have to change the settings level to Expert to enable some of the less common settings. Press left from the settings page.
(Note: this works for Confluence. Other skins may not have been updated for this).

RE: OpenELEC Testbuilds for RaspberryPi - Ned Scott - 2013-07-20

Pointless post because the forum doesn't want to show post #2501 without having 2502 posts.

(2013-07-20, 15:15)popcornmix Wrote: On Gotham you have to change the settings level to Expert to enable some of the less common settings. Press left from the settings page.
(Note: this works for Confluence. Other skins may not have been updated for this).

Ah thanks, I was getting worried there Wink

Is there any reason why I can't play mov files?

Checking with MPC-HC (which can play them) it shows these properties

Video: DVC 720x480 (4:3) 29.97fps 28771kbps [Video]
Audio: QT PCM 48000Hz stereo 1536kbps [Audio]

When I try to play them, I just get audio with visualisation in the background.

(2013-07-20, 17:59)doveman2 Wrote: Video: DVC 720x480 (4:3) 29.97fps 28771kbps [Video]

That's your problem, a proprietry codec. No supported on Pi.