Kodi Community Forum
Intel NUC - Ivy Bridge (3rd Generation CPU) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Intel NUC - Ivy Bridge (3rd Generation CPU) (/showthread.php?tid=140534)

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities - micoba - 2013-09-13

(2013-09-13, 12:34)Phr0z Wrote:
(2013-09-13, 11:55)micoba Wrote: I think I had the same issue with Openelec 3.0.6. With 3.1.7 there were no issues with black level anymore. Try it!

Hey, I tried 3.1.7 booting from a usb in Live mode yesterday and it had the same issue with black level. Sad

Perhaps we are not talking about the same issue. But it certainly fixed the black/dark screen for me. I tried it the same evening with the same movie!

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities - jammyb - 2013-09-13

(2013-09-13, 12:35)smallclone Wrote: Before I take the plunge on a NUC Celeron 847 1.1 and some RAM, someone please just reassure me that the performance on 1080p mkvs and 720p mkvs will be £100 better than my rPi

Thanks.

Mate. Told you before. READ THE WIKI!! LINK IN MY SIG!!!!! 150+ pages about what you asked in this very thread. Try the search this thread button at the top of the page.

ANYTHING is better than an RPi. NUCs are fully fledged PCs. Capable of running 64bit OS'es.

And yes. Capable of full hardcore skins and 1080p playback.

READ THE WIKI!

And show me where you'll find a NUC cheap too. Smile

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities - Gareth12 - 2013-09-13

I had a pi. It was brilliant until I got fed up with waiting and crashing. I got a celeron 2gb on a 4gb USB stick. Wow. Difference is night and day. Only issue I have is the fan noise which I think I have sorted.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities - jammyb - 2013-09-13

Move onto SSD bud. You won't regret it!

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities - smallclone - 2013-09-13

(2013-09-13, 14:24)jammyb Wrote:
(2013-09-13, 12:35)smallclone Wrote: Before I take the plunge on a NUC Celeron 847 1.1 and some RAM, someone please just reassure me that the performance on 1080p mkvs and 720p mkvs will be £100 better than my rPi

Thanks.

Mate. Told you before. READ THE WIKI!! LINK IN MY SIG!!!!! 150+ pages about what you asked in this very thread. Try the search this thread button at the top of the page.

ANYTHING is better than an RPi. NUCs are fully fledged PCs. Capable of running 64bit OS'es.

And yes. Capable of full hardcore skins and 1080p playback.

READ THE WIKI!

And show me where you'll find a NUC cheap too. Smile

But I want to be spoon-fed information from real people!

Point taken. cheers.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities - DaveNinja - 2013-09-13

(2013-09-13, 02:04)aesalazar Wrote: Dave, out of curiosity, what kind of thumb drive were you using? Ever do a speed test on it to get R/W speeds? I have no doubt the SSD is faster but I am always curious the impact on performance from the quality of the thumb drive.

Ernie

I havent dont any speed tests but i would qualify the thumb drive I was using as 'shitty'.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities - Christer K - 2013-09-13

*nevermind*

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities - dafras - 2013-09-14

Not sure this has been posted but:
http://liliputing.com/2013/09/139-intel-nuc-bay-trail-chip-way.html
This might be what so many xbmcers are looking for, including me.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities - Ayala - 2013-09-14

I caved and ordered an i3 nuc, can't wait to mess with it... cool thing is, I have more than one room that needs an upgrade so it'll give me a reason to get the haswell model when it drops.

I will post pros and cons on my end once I'm done with my setup.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities - noggin - 2013-09-14

(2013-09-14, 01:01)dafras Wrote: Not sure this has been posted but:

If that has enough GPU and CPU power to run XBMC reliably I'm in. Space for a 2.5" SATA drive is a real bonus (will the DC power brick output be enough to provide SATA power?).

(Pity that it is unlikely to do 4:2:2 H264 decoding unless something has changed though - but I accept I'm relatively unusual in wanting to replay that content)

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities - jammyb - 2013-09-14

(2013-09-14, 12:37)noggin Wrote:
(2013-09-14, 01:01)dafras Wrote: Not sure this has been posted but:

If that has enough GPU and CPU power to run XBMC reliably I'm in. Space for a 2.5" SATA drive is a real bonus (will the DC power brick output be enough to provide SATA power?).

(Pity that it is unlikely to do 4:2:2 H264 decoding unless something has changed though - but I accept I'm relatively unusual in wanting to replay that content)

It'll be enough to power a SATA 2.5" drive, otherwise. What'd be the point in having the ports [power & data] on them and the room in the casing for one Huh Plus in the hexus link [and the link above which itself is linking from] the photographed spec sheet says 2.5" Smile

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities - Greddy2000 - 2013-09-15

(2013-09-13, 17:48)DaveNinja Wrote:
(2013-09-13, 02:04)aesalazar Wrote: Dave, out of curiosity, what kind of thumb drive were you using? Ever do a speed test on it to get R/W speeds? I have no doubt the SSD is faster but I am always curious the impact on performance from the quality of the thumb drive.

Ernie

I havent dont any speed tests but i would qualify the thumb drive I was using as 'shitty'.

when I setup my Celeron NUC I purposely went out and bought a new 16gb usb3 thumbdrive (I know the Celeron NUC is usb2.0) instead of reusing an old shitty one from my parts drawer. I did run read/write tests to make sure it lived up to the mfr specs..it did. It was the best $17 dollars I spent. I was high fiving myself for not going the much more expensive ssd route. I run Aeon Nox and it runs smooth and great. I even have an xtreamer ultra 2 with ssd in another room and I really can't tell much of performance difference.

So to recap, invest in a good USB thumbdrive..you may not need that ssd after all.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities - cadetdrivr - 2013-09-15

(2013-09-15, 00:45)Greddy2000 Wrote:
(2013-09-13, 17:48)DaveNinja Wrote:

Ernie

when I setup my Celeron NUC I purposely went out and bought a new 16gb usb3 thumbdrive (I know the Celeron NUC is usb2.0) instead of reusing an old shitty one from my parts drawer. I did run read/write tests to make sure it lived up to the mfr specs..it did. It was the best $17 dollars I spent. I was high fiving myself for not going the much more expensive ssd route. I run Aeon Nox and it runs smooth and great. I even have an xtreamer ultra 2 with ssd in another room and I really can't tell much of performance difference.

So to recap, invest in a good USB thumbdrive..you may not need that ssd after all.
This.

I'm using OpenELEC with the Celeron 847 NUC and I'm at a loss to see what a SSD would do. It simply runs awesome off a fast thumb drive. The wife approval factor (WAF) is off the scale and that's all that really matters.

Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities - solamnic - 2013-09-15

Intel haswell 54250s announced..

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/nuc/nuc-kit-d54250wyk.html

" The Intel NUC comes complete with Intel[REGISTERED SIGN] HD Graphics 5000 to ensure a brilliant HD experience, Intel[REGISTERED SIGN] Quick Sync Video for fast video encoding, and DisplayPort 1.2* for driving 4k displays. Couple this with a stereo/mic jack along with four USB 3.0 ports and an infrared sensor for your remote control, and you can create a home entertainment system, a gaming machine, a digital jukebox, or all of the above. You can immerse yourself in movies, TV, or games in 4 inches square without the need for discrete hardware. The Intel NUC: as small as a game controller, as powerful as a jackhammer."

Great features ( and IR)....

I am a bit skeptical about noise though Smile ( until i see a review ofc)

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities - Bmul - 2013-09-15

(2013-09-15, 07:44)solamnic Wrote: Intel haswell 54250s announced..

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/nuc/nuc-kit-d54250wyk.html

" The Intel NUC comes complete with Intel[REGISTERED SIGN] HD Graphics 5000 to ensure a brilliant HD experience, Intel[REGISTERED SIGN] Quick Sync Video for fast video encoding, and DisplayPort 1.2* for driving 4k displays. Couple this with a stereo/mic jack along with four USB 3.0 ports and an infrared sensor for your remote control, and you can create a home entertainment system, a gaming machine, a digital jukebox, or all of the above. You can immerse yourself in movies, TV, or games in 4 inches square without the need for discrete hardware. The Intel NUC: as small as a game controller, as powerful as a jackhammer."

Great features ( and IR)....

I am a bit skeptical about noise though Smile ( until i see a review ofc)

The integrated CIR is a great option, if it supports S5 power on?

The noise from the 40mm fan will ruin it for me.

You will need a fan less case which supports the CIR, 2x USB and audio jack on the front. There are non yet.

I'm a bit skeptical about the fact the HD5000 will ad some noticeable difference in comparison to the HD4000?