Kodi Community Forum
Intel NUC - Ivy Bridge (3rd Generation CPU) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Intel NUC - Ivy Bridge (3rd Generation CPU) (/showthread.php?tid=140534)

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities (Sandy/Ivy Bridge) - fritsch - 2013-09-24

@verismo: Huh?

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities (Sandy/Ivy Bridge) - verismo - 2013-09-24

(2013-09-24, 07:42)fritsch Wrote: @verismo: Huh?

my videos stuttered a lot, found out it was a lan issue
https://communities.intel.com/thread/34119

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities (Sandy/Ivy Bridge) - fritsch - 2013-09-24

Oh lol - that really must be a joke :-) But I have read it now, haha. Great quality those intel boxes.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities (Sandy/Ivy Bridge) - jammyb - 2013-09-24

That's crazy!

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities (Sandy/Ivy Bridge) - Raytestrak - 2013-09-24

(2013-09-24, 11:11)jammyb Wrote: That's crazy!

Nope, it's a known issue Wink

They've tried fixing it with BIOS updates which seems to help for some people (not for me) but using the other HDMI port solves it. Don't know if it's windows only, haven't tested is since switching to OpenElec. This has already been mentioned in this thread by the way.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities (Sandy/Ivy Bridge) - jammyb - 2013-09-24

Can't remember which port I was in. Think closest to power. Lol.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities (Sandy/Ivy Bridge) - smallclone - 2013-09-24

So I took the plunge and got the celeron 847 with corsair 4gb ram, a 16gb usb3 and openelec. I absolutely love it. Its a beauty.

Only cons so far are.........its hot and loud. Very hot. Its in a wooden cabinet with the front panel open. Resting on a TV set top box.

Any tips?

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities (Sandy/Ivy Bridge) - Dougie Fresh - 2013-09-24

Move it off the STB to start. Those radiate a lot of heat upwards.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities (Sandy/Ivy Bridge) - smallclone - 2013-09-24

(2013-09-24, 22:21)Dougie Fresh Wrote: Move it off the STB to start. Those radiate a lot of heat upwards.
Its an amp not a stb but I'll try and move it. Impressed otherwise. It will be on "suspend" most of the time due to the remote not being capable of switching it off. I suppose that will reduce its life expectancy but what the hell.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities (Sandy/Ivy Bridge) - psx123 - 2013-09-24

Nice

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities (Sandy/Ivy Bridge) - Dougie Fresh - 2013-09-25

Celeron 847 (or 1007U) is so great for OpenELEC and you can get a 847 box for $50 more than the cheap Android streamers people complain about.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities (Sandy/Ivy Bridge) - Noexicaise - 2013-09-25

Hi,

I just bought one plc (devolo) and i have many issues with wired connection. Any problem with wifi. I try to update bios (v42) and used the other hdmi port but already many problem. Any idea are welcome.

Thank advance

PS: Sorry for english

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities (Sandy/Ivy Bridge) - nickr - 2013-09-25

(2013-09-25, 00:11)Noexicaise Wrote: Hi,

I just bought one plc (devolo) and i have many issues with wired connection. Any problem with wifi. I try to update bios (v42) and used the other hdmi port but already many problem. Any idea are welcome.

Thank advance

I think you are in the wrong place. This forum is about XBMC. This particular thread is about the using the Intel NUC computer for XBMC.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities (Sandy/Ivy Bridge) - Raytestrak - 2013-09-25

(2013-09-25, 00:11)Noexicaise Wrote: Hi,

Thank advance

The throughput of my "500 mbit" Devolo power line converters reaches about 35 mbit at maximum and sometimes it won't even reach that speed, so that's not always enough for full HD content. Try to do a speedtest to check the actual speed. The speed the Devolo dashboard reports isn't accurate. It's slightly overenthusiastic Wink You can try to do a firmware update of your Devolo's, that doubled my speed, but it still isn't that good. Good enough to watch 720p TV shows, which is what I need them for. If you really need the bandwith, always go with a true wired network.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities (Sandy/Ivy Bridge) - fritsch - 2013-09-25

Try with gotham or OpenELEC >= 3.1.7 I wrote a patch for xbmc, that uses more than the Average Bitrate of the the movie as throughput. Therefore connections like wlan or power lan, where some transmits might just fail have more backup. I had myself those Devolo plugs and could make it much more stable with that approach. You know, that you are using the right OE version, when you see "readbufferfactor" in the logfile.