Kodi Community Forum
Intel NUC - Ivy Bridge (3rd Generation CPU) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Intel NUC - Ivy Bridge (3rd Generation CPU) (/showthread.php?tid=140534)

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities (Sandy/Ivy Bridge) - IIIPgCIII - 2013-10-18

I have a DCCP847DYE.

I have installed Openelec no problem, but I wanted a bit more freedom (emulators,etc)

I tried to install XBMCbuntu, but all I get is a black screen with a cursor. I cannot SSH into the nuc, or get a shell on the actual machine (ctrl+alt+f1)

I have tried both xbmcbuntu-12.2.Intel-NVIDIA.iso and xbmcbuntu-12.0.Intel-NVIDIA.iso.

What am I doing wrong, how can I fix this?

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities (Sandy/Ivy Bridge) - DaveNinja - 2013-10-18

(2013-10-18, 15:44)IIIPgCIII Wrote: I have a DCCP847DYE.

I have installed Openelec no problem, but I wanted a bit more freedom (emulators,etc)

I tried to install XBMCbuntu, but all I get is a black screen with a cursor. I cannot SSH into the nuc, or get a shell on the actual machine (ctrl+alt+f1)

I have tried both xbmcbuntu-12.2.Intel-NVIDIA.iso and xbmcbuntu-12.0.Intel-NVIDIA.iso.

What am I doing wrong, how can I fix this?

I had the same problem with the same set up. I just gave up and stuck with OpenElec. Post back here if you find out what the problem is

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities (Sandy/Ivy Bridge) - jinkyjim - 2013-10-18

I tried XBMCbuntu on my q190 and all i got was the black screen with a cursor,
i googled the problem and found this ......

Power on, as soon as the Bios screen vanishes hold down the right-shift key (Don’t press it, hold it down!)
You will be presented with a GRUB boot screen in which your choices are “Unbuntu” or “Advanced options for Ubuntu”.
The “Unbuntu” option will already be selected. Press “e” to edit the boot options.
Find the line that begins “linux /boot/vmlinux-3.5.0-34-generic root=”
Put a space at the end of the line and add this text, without the speech-marks “i915.i915_enable_rc6=0″.
Press F10 and it will continue to boot normally. Once the system is fully booted, we must make this change permanent, so that it happens on every subsequent boot.
Press CTRL-ALT-F1 from the main XBMC interface and you will be taken a Ubuntu Linux login prompt. Type in the username and password that you specified during the initial XBMC setup.
Once logged in type “sudo nano /etc/default/grub”. You may be prompted for your password again.How to edit the Grub defaults on XBMCBuntu
Use the cursor keys to move down to the line which contains: GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT=”quiet splash “
Add the text “i915.i915_enable_rc6=0″ within the speech marks, so it should look exactly like this:Changing Grub defaults to stop XBMC from hanging on startup.
Press CTRL-X (to save the file)
Press Y (To confirm that you want to save your changes)
You will now drop back to a prompt. Enter the command “sudo update-grub” (you may be prompted for your password again)
Now type “sudo reboot now” – it will now reboot and should boot directly into XBMC without any further issues!
.....worked for my q190, might work for the NUC Huh

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities (Sandy/Ivy Bridge) - 00b5 - 2013-10-18

(2013-10-17, 14:25)the_bluester Wrote: I have been trawling this thread til my eyes hurt as it seemed the likely one to have my answer.

Based on things read here and responses on another forum, I bought a second NUC a couple of days ago. What I was trying to be sure about was performance of the celeron version for bd iso playback. I bought an I3 first time around and was roundly called an idiot on another forum for wasting money by not getting a celeron as it would be fine.

So, this time around I bought a celeron and bd playback in my initial test is terrible. Hitting o lets me watch it run up about ten dropped frames a second. Watching bd content ripped to mkv at full res and high quality it is smooth as silk with a couple of dropped frames as the video starts and that is it.

The spec is the celeron NUC (obviously) with 4g of 1033 Ram and an intel 30g msata ssd. OS is Ubuntu 12.04 and XBMC is 12.2. Bios I updated to the latest. Ubuntu reports all up to date to sudo apt-get update.

Have I let myself be dudded into buying one that just won't cut it or am I missing basics in settings? The I3 simply worked out of the box with all the same settings and the same ram and ssd. I turned off all the hd audio options in xbmc settings as that gave trouble on my wife's PC but it made no difference. Audio quality is not a great issue as it is just for a bedroom tv with only the tv speakers.

I think the most common problem regarding what you are describing is a misconfigured audio setting. There was a link (maybe even a screenshot) somewhere in this thread that showed which audio settings to use based on what you were hooking it up to (just a tv, AVR with HD support, etc) but I don't have that handy.

Take another look at your audio settings, as well as confirm that your video is actually using acceleration (i think its VAPPI in linux/OEHuh?)

Also, as suggested, its easy enough put OpenElec on a flash drive, and test it against a BD rip and see what happens. This leaves your unbuntu install alone, so its not like you'll need to reconfigure a bunch of stuff.

(2013-10-18, 10:17)grnt Wrote: Hi guys I have a few quick questions as I am considering picking up one of these beauties so I can make my N40L strictly a server.

1) Do you need to use a specific installation of Openelec or do you just use the Generic build?

2) As this will only serve media (from the NAS) is it worth running an SSD or will I not really notice much difference from say an 8GB USB card?

3) Is SODIMM RAM required? My N40L said it needed SODIMM ram but it runs just fine with normal desktop grade RAM (and I've never had an issue with it).

** I don't have a NUC, but I am using OE on dell laptop with a c2d with a broken screen, so its similar

1. For the NUC, use the latest Intel graphics version
2. an SSD is nice, but for OE, you can get away with a FAST usb drive (most suggest a USB3.0 version, and use it on usb2 ports). Thumbnails/etc will still be cached on the flash drive, so if those are slow, you might consider moving to a msata drive.
3. SODIMM is the physical type of RAM, used most often in laptops (as oppsed to just a DIMM). You WILL need SODIMM's for the NUC, its small form factor uses laptop memory.

Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities (Sandy/Ivy Bridge) - voip-ninja - 2013-10-18

For those running NUC with XBMC/OE how is the scrubbing performance during video playback with high bit rate content? With my GT430 it's pretty pokey and not too great.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities (Sandy/Ivy Bridge) - swerver32 - 2013-10-19

It does get bogged down a bit when I do a first scrub, but not too bad after that.

Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities (Sandy/Ivy Bridge) - voip-ninja - 2013-10-19

(2013-10-19, 02:50)swerver32 Wrote: It does get bogged down a bit when I do a first scrub, but not too bad after that.

Thanks. Might have to do some testing to find out for sure.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities (Sandy/Ivy Bridge) - the_bluester - 2013-10-19

I have had the suggestion elsewhere that a layer ubuntu version might help so I gave 13.10 a crack, no difference whatsoever. I will try OE and after that will consider it a limitation of the device. The GPU is pretty well maxed when it is dropping frames and CPU utilisation is about 50% averaged over the two cores.

Could anyone with a celeron NUC try a BD iso for me? Thor for preference. I would be interested to see if others arrive at the same problem.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities (Sandy/Ivy Bridge) - IIIPgCIII - 2013-10-19

(2013-10-18, 17:23)jinkyjim Wrote: I tried XBMCbuntu on my q190 and all i got was the black screen with a cursor,
i googled the problem and found this ......

Power on, as soon as the Bios screen vanishes hold down the right-shift key (Don’t press it, hold it down!)
You will be presented with a GRUB boot screen in which your choices are “Unbuntu” or “Advanced options for Ubuntu”.
The “Unbuntu” option will already be selected. Press “e” to edit the boot options.
Find the line that begins “linux /boot/vmlinux-3.5.0-34-generic root=”
Put a space at the end of the line and add this text, without the speech-marks “i915.i915_enable_rc6=0″.
Press F10 and it will continue to boot normally. Once the system is fully booted, we must make this change permanent, so that it happens on every subsequent boot.
Press CTRL-ALT-F1 from the main XBMC interface and you will be taken a Ubuntu Linux login prompt. Type in the username and password that you specified during the initial XBMC setup.
Once logged in type “sudo nano /etc/default/grub”. You may be prompted for your password again.How to edit the Grub defaults on XBMCBuntu
Use the cursor keys to move down to the line which contains: GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT=”quiet splash “
Add the text “i915.i915_enable_rc6=0″ within the speech marks, so it should look exactly like this:Changing Grub defaults to stop XBMC from hanging on startup.
Press CTRL-X (to save the file)
Press Y (To confirm that you want to save your changes)
You will now drop back to a prompt. Enter the command “sudo update-grub” (you may be prompted for your password again)
Now type “sudo reboot now” – it will now reboot and should boot directly into XBMC without any further issues!
.....worked for my q190, might work for the NUC Huh

This worked like a charm. Thanks!

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities (Sandy/Ivy Bridge) - spencers - 2013-10-19

This little NUC isn't liking Win8.1 very well.

edit: If you are running Win8 and update to 8.1, it looks like drivers will have to be reinstalled.
LAN defaulted to a Windows driver, as did Graphics. Intel's download page contains new drivers. However, I still cannot access the NUC from another computer via VNC, RDP, or even ping. Even with built-in firewall turned completely off. The NUC talks to the network and internet just fine.

Strongly urge against upgrading. Luckily I have an acronis image of the NUC from a week or two ago.

Re: RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities (Sandy/Ivy Bridge) - nickr - 2013-10-19

(2013-10-19, 18:44)spencers Wrote: This little NUC isn't liking Win8.1 very well.

edit: If you are running Win8 and update to 8.1, it looks like drivers will have to be reinstalled.
LAN defaulted to a Windows driver, as did Graphics. Intel's download page contains new drivers. However, I still cannot access the NUC from another computer via VNC, RDP, or even ping. Even with built-in firewall turned completely off. The NUC talks to the network and internet just fine.

Strongly urge against upgrading. Luckily I have an acronis image of the NUC from a week or two ago.

You broke rule 1 of htpc management: if it ain't broke, don't fix it!

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities (Sandy/Ivy Bridge) - Bryman31 - 2013-10-19

hi guys........COMPLETELY NEW to htpc, so im here to gain as much knowledge as possible.......

im wanting to try the NUC. ive already got all my parts written down, i was just needing some advice on what you all use for storage. i have no idea how to setup a network so i was thinking just getting a few WD Red drives and getting a JBOD box and just putting the two together side by side.

what have you all seen or used comfortably for a JBOD box? im gonna need at least 3 HDD's to start, (i have about 1200 dvd's and about 30 blu-ray's) i was eying THIS for my drives but i thought id ask here before i pull the trigger......

thanks for your help and info

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities (Sandy/Ivy Bridge) - the_bluester - 2013-10-20

I am using a QNAP TS412 in RAID5 with 4 2TB drives in it. Effectively 6TB of space. I cant help thinking that multiple drive volumes in a JBOD setup would be a bit of a pain compared to a single volume shared however you wanted to in RAID.

Regards the NUC, just going on my experience BD playback is a problem in a Celeron NUC and perfect on an I3, I was looking at it again today and it looks like BD iso files are decoded in software by the CPU not the GPU. The I3 plays back perfectly but has near zero GPU utilisation and the load spread across the CPU cores. The celeron does much the same but has two cores which are not as fast!

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities (Sandy/Ivy Bridge) - nickr - 2013-10-20

(2013-10-19, 22:03)Bryman31 Wrote: hi guys........COMPLETELY NEW to htpc, so im here to gain as much knowledge as possible.......

im wanting to try the NUC. ive already got all my parts written down, i was just needing some advice on what you all use for storage. i have no idea how to setup a network so i was thinking just getting a few WD Red drives and getting a JBOD box and just putting the two together side by side.

what have you all seen or used comfortably for a JBOD box? im gonna need at least 3 HDD's to start, (i have about 1200 dvd's and about 30 blu-ray's) i was eying THIS for my drives but i thought id ask here before i pull the trigger......

thanks for your help and info
Why buy a small quiet box just to have a big external enclosure sitting next to it?

Inevitably you will want more HTPC's and a centralised storage/database setup. So get a NAS now for your storage. It ain't difficult to set up a network - your XBMC needs to be network connected to work properly anyway.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities (Sandy/Ivy Bridge) - Raytestrak - 2013-10-20

(2013-10-19, 21:28)nickr Wrote: You broke rule 1 of htpc management: if it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Where's the fun in that? Wink

My motto is: If it ain't broke: break it, fix it, repeat Big Grin