Kodi Community Forum
Intel NUC - Ivy Bridge (3rd Generation CPU) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Intel NUC - Ivy Bridge (3rd Generation CPU) (/showthread.php?tid=140534)

AW: RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities - der_zeisig - 2013-01-27

(2013-01-27, 10:07)Relentless Wrote: Hi guys,
Is anyone running one of these NUC's with the Openelec releases as their main box?

Sounds like there are still issues with the Intel HD4000 graphics drivers:
http://openelec.tv/forum/116-vaapi-intel/53764-intel-i3-3225--frodo-nightly-build-1080p-playback-issues

Any confirmation of these issues?

Cheers,
Mike

Unfortunatly it still exists in OE RC2. Odd resolutions like 1920x816 cause artifacts in the upper left corner of the screen and sometimes even crash the system. Standard resolutions are working however...

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities - snowjim - 2013-01-27

Is anyone running one of these NUC's with the Openelec releases as their main box?

http://openelec.tv/forum/116-vaapi-intel/53764-intel-i3-3225--frodo-nightly-build-1080p-playback-issues

Cheers,
Mike

Hi,

I tried OpenELEC-Intel.x86_64-2.99.1 from USB and it worked well for me besides the slow writing speed. But I did not run in more then a couple of days until I got the SSD. I do not really like OpenElec If you dont know about linux and you need to do special stuff its vary advanced and is not always obvious (for example, always keep openElec USB in the same USB port.

(2013-01-27, 11:42)der_zeisig Wrote:

Cheers,
Mike

Unfortunatly it still exists in OE RC2. Odd resolutions like 1920x816 cause artifacts in the upper left corner of the screen and sometimes even crash the system. Standard resolutions are working however...

Aha thats why I díd not run in to any problems.

(2013-01-26, 22:46)wgards8 Wrote: Snowjim, I had the same problem with Windows 8 until I installed xbmclauncher. Allows you to shell into xbmc, check it out.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=136798

Thanks! I will try this!

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities - Relentless - 2013-01-27

What a shame. So it is the dodgy Intel drivers that are the problem?

I could do XBMCbuntu as I have a fair bit of linux experience but I kind of like Openelec to just work (this has to work for multiple users). Come on Intel!

Seems like the ION platform is still the winner.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities - aaron.fritz - 2013-01-28

Can someone try something for me. I wanted to know how the load is when Using a blu-ray in mkv with either DTS-HD or TRUE-HD, and only outputting stereo.

I need to know does the video stutter or any issues. I want to use this for the Bedroom.

Thanks.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities - pmcd - 2013-01-28

(2013-01-28, 21:31)aaron.fritz Wrote: Can someone try something for me. I wanted to know how the load is when Using a blu-ray in mkv with either DTS-HD or TRUE-HD, and only outputting stereo.

I need to know does the video stutter or any issues. I want to use this for the Bedroom.

Thanks.

No stuttering when downmixing DTS-HD on the limited tests I have down. Very low cpu load. Very silent. Great little system.

Philip

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities - snowjim - 2013-01-29

Hi,

I got a problem with my Intel Nuc (8GB RAM, 60 GB SSD, external SoundBlaster soundcard).

When I set the refresh rate to match video I get vary smooth video but the audio sync can be off with about 400 ms!? When switching this setting of the sync is fine but there is stuttering all the time even in low-res videos? I have tried to set the refresh rate to match TV but that do not help.

How should this be setup?

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities - Luvas uk - 2013-01-29

(2013-01-28, 21:31)aaron.fritz Wrote: Can someone try something for me. I wanted to know how the load is when Using a blu-ray in mkv with either DTS-HD or TRUE-HD, and only outputting stereo.

Thanks.

I have no problems streaming Bluray mkv's in either HD sound formats. Very smooth, quite and very quick switching between movies files etc...

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities - snowjim - 2013-01-29

(2013-01-29, 10:46)Luvas uk Wrote:

Thanks.

I have no problems streaming Bluray mkv's in either HD sound formats. Very smooth, quite and very quick switching between movies files etc...

What are you using for settings? Do you match refresh rates?

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities - nate1280 - 2013-01-29

Small update, got the SSD I was waiting for on the 24th, and promptly installed Windows 8, setup XBMC and XBMClauncher, got it all configured and have been using it ever since with a few tweaks here and there. Have the MCE remote all setup using the custom reg file, and it works when resuming from suspend (power button only of course), but I usually just turn the machine off.

So far, I'm thoroughly impressed with it, from a cold boot, its up and running in XBMC in seconds (haven't actually timed it, guess i should). Finally got around to watching a movie (~10gb file) on the weekend and it just hummed right along, no issues what so ever. I've been switching between Metropolis and reFocus BIG skins and both are very responsive. Haven't noticed any video or audio issues so far, but hopefully I'll be doing some targeted testing soon in addition to normal usage (as I've been doing for the past 4 days).

Installed an Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6205 in it yesterday to test wireless throughput and it seems to work well. Since I'll be using this with a wired connection, I took the card out and will hang onto it incase its ever needed.

Just need to figure out a keyboard/mouse to get for it, for the odd times when it might be needed. Have been leaning towards a Logitech K400. But for now, UltraVNC is installed on it and working, incase I need to do anything on it, was thinking of switching to TeamViewer but I'm not sure, I'm so use to RDP. Also, for now I think I'm just gonna stick with Win8 as opposed to XBMCBuntu or OpenElec.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities - Luvas uk - 2013-01-29

(2013-01-29, 10:52)snowjim Wrote:
(2013-01-29, 10:46)Luvas uk Wrote:

Thanks.

What are you using for settings? Do you match refresh rates?

Hi There

I used the setup process from this forum page http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=128480
Ok that might not help as you are using an external sound card as i have mine direct into a Amp via HDMI.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities - mightydh - 2013-01-29

I picked up a NUC and am waiting to escape work in order to try out Frodo. Was anyone able to confirm that the VAAPI drivers were updated with the updated version?

I tested last weekend using both:
  • OpenELEC Testing - Intel x86_64 Version:2.99.2 (3.0 RC 2)
  • XBMCbuntu - Frodo RC2-Intel

Both had the artifacts and no DTS-HD. Just seeing if these have been fixed before I get home today.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities - mightydh - 2013-01-30

(2013-01-29, 21:07)mightydh Wrote: I picked up a NUC and am waiting to escape work in order to try out Frodo. Was anyone able to confirm that the VAAPI drivers were updated with the updated version?

Both had the artifacts and no DTS-HD. Just seeing if these have been fixed before I get home today.

Update: Just installed and the VAAPI drivers are fixed

However, I cannot hear any sound when DTS-HD used.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities - pmcd - 2013-01-30

(2013-01-29, 17:32)nate1280 Wrote: Small update, got the SSD I was waiting for on the 24th, and promptly installed Windows 8, setup XBMC and XBMClauncher, got it all configured and have been using it ever since with a few tweaks here and there. Have the MCE remote all setup using the custom reg file, and it works when resuming from suspend (power button only of course), but I usually just turn the machine off.

So far, I'm thoroughly impressed with it, from a cold boot, its up and running in XBMC in seconds (haven't actually timed it, guess i should). Finally got around to watching a movie (~10gb file) on the weekend and it just hummed right along, no issues what so ever. I've been switching between Metropolis and reFocus BIG skins and both are very responsive. Haven't noticed any video or audio issues so far, but hopefully I'll be doing some targeted testing soon in addition to normal usage (as I've been doing for the past 4 days).

Installed an Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6205 in it yesterday to test wireless throughput and it seems to work well. Since I'll be using this with a wired connection, I took the card out and will hang onto it incase its ever needed.

Hmm, are you saying that sleep and resume from sleep can be activated using the remote? I am using a Harmony One. I have been using a combination of MCE Keyboard and remote commands. What are you using for waking up the system?

Also, which XBMC Launcher are you using? I had a version which stopped working for some reason and I just used the win+1 command and put XBMC in the 1st position on the taskbar. Would prefer to use the green MCE remote button though.

I have a WiFi/BT card that I was going to put in even though I have the gigabit ethernet port. Did you find it increased the heat and made the fan work more?

Thanks,

philip

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities - nate1280 - 2013-01-30

(2013-01-30, 02:13)pmcd Wrote:
(2013-01-29, 17:32)nate1280 Wrote: Small update, got the SSD I was waiting for on the 24th, and promptly installed Windows 8, setup XBMC and XBMClauncher, got it all configured and have been using it ever since with a few tweaks here and there. Have the MCE remote all setup using the custom reg file, and it works when resuming from suspend (power button only of course), but I usually just turn the machine off.

Hmm, are you saying that sleep and resume from sleep can be activated using the remote? I am using a Harmony One. I have been using a combination of MCE Keyboard and remote commands. What are you using for waking up the system?

Also, which XBMC Launcher are you using? I had a version which stopped working for some reason and I just used the win+1 command and put XBMC in the 1st position on the taskbar. Would prefer to use the green MCE remote button though.

I have a WiFi/BT card that I was going to put in even though I have the gigabit ethernet port. Did you find it increased the heat and made the fan work more?

Thanks,

philip

Yes, using the remote I was able to resume from an S3 state, but only the power button of the remote would wake it up, no other buttons would. I was able to do this in Win8, XBMCbuntu (after some hair pulling and it miraculously starting to work) and OpenElec. I use a Harmony remote as well, and when I use the power toggle key for the device I added, it worked. Even tho it works, I just power the unit down since pushing the power button isn't much of a big deal for me.

I'm using the latest launcher, 3.1. As for the green button, there's something from that custom reg site that has a util/fix for that, never used it so not sure about it.

The wifi card wasn't in long enough to observe any sort of temperature effects, I just installed it, did a couple bandwidth tests, then removed it.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities - snowjim - 2013-01-30

(2013-01-30, 02:13)pmcd Wrote:

Thanks,

philip

Hi,

I have setup my solution like this : http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=95063&highlight=Harmony even if the guide says that power on do not work It works for me (Harmony One and HP IR USB)