Kodi Community Forum
Intel NUC - Ivy Bridge (3rd Generation CPU) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Intel NUC - Ivy Bridge (3rd Generation CPU) (/showthread.php?tid=140534)

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Sandy/Ivy Bridge 2012 edition) - ElJimador - 2014-02-18

(2014-02-13, 23:50)jammyb Wrote: Stop being a fanny and undo the 4 screws and tip it out!

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6444/intels-next-unit-of-computing-hands-on

Thanks. You're right, board does come out easily enough. Just wasn't quite seeing the angle to tip it out before. Looks like the fan noise problem will be cured by the new replacement Intel just sent me though. This one is SA 005 (board 004) and it's amazing how much quieter it is than both the 001 I had originally and the 002 they first sent me as a replacement.

Not sure if this was already covered earlier in this thread and maybe I'm just the last one clued into it. But for anyone else with this model Celeron NUC, if the fan noise seems loud to you now matter what settings you select in BIOS, check the sticker on the bottom to see which system assembly you have and if it's a 001 or 002 send it back for a warranty replacement and make sure they send you a 004 or 005 version instead. Should clear it right up.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Sandy/Ivy Bridge 2012 edition) - zorvalth - 2014-02-19

Sorry if it was asked already, i tried to use the search but didnt get much from it..

I have the Celeron 847 NUC. I've been using it for month with no problems with OPENELC.
I decided to install Ubuntu so i can install some software i need and using the browser on TV from time to time. I installed Ubuntu 64bits 12.04 and then installed xbmc. But the performance is no good. 720p is ok but stuttering on some action scenes with explosions for example, and 1080p is unwatchable. Is this normal behavior or I'm missing something?

p.s. Uuntu is installed on 2.5 inch external usb hdd....

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Sandy/Ivy Bridge 2012 edition) - -DDD- - 2014-02-19

There is an Opera Addon for openelec, maybe thats enough for you?!

no, i need to use ubuntu. just nned to know what is the normal performance...

The normal Performance should be like with OpenElec i think.

Maybe then this is the right one for you: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=165707

I have managed to install VAAPI drivers and thing got better but still got problems with 1080p, then i updated xbmc from stable frodo to unstable latest alpha gotham and things got equal with Openelec-frodo . But the alpha got other problems and its not really daily driver. Is there any way to fix frodo stable for ubuntu so the performance get as it is suppose to be?

I think you don't install ubuntu mini from the Scratch like described in the Thread?
Then you should do that first i think. Then the Performance should be equal to OpenElec.

and installing minimal Ubuntu is the only option? I'm looking for solution not workaround...

I think ubuntu minimal is the Solution and you search an workaround for 12.04, what could be difficult

Thanks for the effort but if there is somebody else with the same NUC and experience with full ubuntu and xbmc I will be glad to hear his opinion. Please do not respond and let somebody else to say something if the know anything else. Thanks again!

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Sandy/Ivy Bridge 2012 edition) - pumkinut - 2014-02-20

Has anyone been able to get ubuntu minimal installed on a Sandy/Ivy Bridge NUC? Every time I try it uses the wrong driver for the NIC, and, therefore, can't get out on the intarwebs to grab the needed packages for installation.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Sandy/Ivy Bridge 2012 edition) - zorvalth - 2014-02-20

(2014-02-20, 21:07)pumkinut Wrote: Has anyone been able to get ubuntu minimal installed on a Sandy/Ivy Bridge NUC? Every time I try it uses the wrong driver for the NIC, and, therefore, can't get out on the intarwebs to grab the needed packages for installation.

Same problem here, I tried to follow the guide form few posts back but it says dhcp failed and i cant go further...

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Sandy/Ivy Bridge 2012 edition) - nickr - 2014-02-21

What IS the correct driver?

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Sandy/Ivy Bridge 2012 edition) - pumkinut - 2014-02-21

IIRC, and I'm not sure that I do, I'll have to test it again, I think it's the e1000 driver, but the minimal ISO doesn't include it (or refuses to use it), and instead uses another that won't allow the NIC to work correctly. It tries, unsuccessfully, to use DHCP. Even if you hard-code IP and NIC info, it won't work. The full-blown Ubuntu ISO works just fine though, but that kind of defeats the purpose of a minimal install to just have XBMC loaded.

Re: Intel NUC - HTPC (Sandy/Ivy Bridge 2012 edition) - nickr - 2014-02-21

So does modprobe e1000 work?