Kodi Community Forum
Intel NUC - Ivy Bridge (3rd Generation CPU) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Intel NUC - Ivy Bridge (3rd Generation CPU) (/showthread.php?tid=140534)

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities - touser - 2013-02-13

(2013-02-13, 07:29)Ned Scott Wrote:
(2013-02-12, 22:58)Geran Wrote: Looks like Intel just released their new one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16856102004

wow, $180. So very tempted....

Hrmm, me too. I cant find which GPU is integrated? The intel site doesn't list the model? http://ark.intel.com/products/56056/Intel-Celeron-Processor-847-2M-Cache-1_10-GHz

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities - nate1280 - 2013-02-13

The Celeron 847 (@ 1.1 GHz) is a Sandy Bridge chip which has the Intel HD Graphics integrated. This has 6 execution units, and is clocked at 350 MHz with a maximum dynamic frequency of 800 MHz

There is a thread about inexpensive mini itx boards with the 847 on an NM10 chipset by Dougie Fresh and it seems that its more then capable of 1080p playback. So, since this new NUC uses the 847 as well, seems like it to would be a good candidate for a cheaper HTPC solution.

Celeron 847 NUC + 2x2GB Ram + Power Cord + 30GB mSata SSD + XBMCBuntu/Openelec would be about 250 or so, I'd think. If you ran openelec off a usb key, could drop the SSD and make it around 200. Another 20 or so for an MCE remote if you don't have one, and another 20 if you want wireless. In a windows configuration, minimum 60-64GB SSD, so that adds another 25 to 50 depending on model mSata SSD.

Almost tempted to get another one, just to test it out.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities - bluray - 2013-02-13

(2013-02-13, 15:28)nate1280 Wrote: There is a thread about inexpensive mini itx boards with the 847 on an NM10 chipset by Dougie Fresh and it seems that its more then capable of 1080p playback. So, since this new NUC uses the 847 as well, seems like it to would be a good candidate for a cheaper HTPC solution.
It's cheap but it is not for Frodo+Windows, and it cannot do 3d either.....

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities - nate1280 - 2013-02-13

(2013-02-13, 16:12)bluray Wrote:
(2013-02-13, 15:28)nate1280 Wrote: There is a thread about inexpensive mini itx boards with the 847 on an NM10 chipset by Dougie Fresh and it seems that its more then capable of 1080p playback. So, since this new NUC uses the 847 as well, seems like it to would be a good candidate for a cheaper HTPC solution.

Ah, yes, in the excitement, forgot about the lack of bluray 3d capabilities. Could probably still play a half SBS mkv and switch ones tv to a side by side format manually tho, I think?

So, for basic duties (all but 3d) its not bad.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities - firemaneric - 2013-02-13

I would like to ask a question about some peoples NUC experience in regards to wireless, I am trying to deal with buffering issues which are Wifi related. I am using the 6235 Wifi adapter in my NUC. My problem is my NUC is not getting stable bandwidth(40Mbps) over wireless when connected to the back of my TV. When the NUC is detached from my TV I get much better rates(130Mbps). What little I know about wireless, it is my understanding that attaching a Wifi device to the back of a TV is one of the worse Wifi setups possible based on all the interference an LCD Tv can cause.

Has anyone thought about this or is there any ways I can improve the wireless while the NUC is connected to the back of the TV such as a barrier between the NUC and the TV? Please don't say go wired. :-)

Second question about the new NUC which just came out. It was stated ' It's cheap but it is not for Frodo+Windows, and it cannot do 3d either....'. I would like to ask why would it not work for Frodo + Windows? Would it be too slow? I am connecting to a 22 inch TV in my kitchen so 3D is not a concern.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities - bluray - 2013-02-13

(2013-02-13, 16:43)nate1280 Wrote:
(2013-02-13, 16:12)bluray Wrote:

Ah, yes, in the excitement, forgot about the lack of bluray 3d capabilities. Could probably still play a half SBS mkv and switch ones tv to a side by side format manually tho, I think?

So, for basic duties (all but 3d) its not bad.
With Linux, yes. But with Windows, no....

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities - firemaneric - 2013-02-14

I have done some more testing and it looks like the LCD is not the issue here. It looks like the problem is the mounting of the NUC on it side. If I run an IPERF with the NUC flat on the table I get more the 100Mbps but when I just move it on its side I end up with less then 50Mbps. Looks like the omnidirectional antenna in the NUC is my problem when mounting on the back if the TV.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities - spencers - 2013-02-14

(2013-02-13, 05:38)spencers Wrote: So I'm still having a little bit of trouble with mine. When "boost audio on downmix" is enabled, I get popping sounds through my television speakers.

When it's off, it's fine, but the lower audio stuff is hard to hear without jacking the volume up (in turn, the loud stuff is too loud).

I've only noticed this with movies. TV shows haven't ever done it.

Edit: forgot to mention, I have the latest version of openelec installed. (Intel64)

Just as a followup--I'm installing Winblows 8. Going to play around with this setup. Openelec is nice, but I'm in a tinkering mood. Only cost $15 to upgrade. Nod

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities - Dougie Fresh - 2013-02-14

HWInfo reports it as an Intel 2000 HD GPU.

(2013-02-13, 20:05)bluray Wrote: With Linux, yes. But with Windows, no....

Actually, there are some reports on AVSForum that Frodo + the latest Intel GPU driver may have fixed the DXVA issues.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1457107/dxva2-in-xbmc-frodo

Celeron 847 + Frodo + 15.28.12.64.2932 (9.17.10.2932) driver FTW!

And, even if not, you can always launch an external player such as MPC-HC or WMP and it works fine there.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities - spencers - 2013-02-14

(2013-02-14, 04:49)spencers Wrote:
(2013-02-13, 05:38)spencers Wrote: So I'm still having a little bit of trouble with mine. When "boost audio on downmix" is enabled, I get popping sounds through my television speakers.

When it's off, it's fine, but the lower audio stuff is hard to hear without jacking the volume up (in turn, the loud stuff is too loud).

I've only noticed this with movies. TV shows haven't ever done it.

Edit: forgot to mention, I have the latest version of openelec installed. (Intel64)

Just as a followup--I'm installing Winblows 8. Going to play around with this setup. Openelec is nice, but I'm in a tinkering mood. Only cost $15 to upgrade. Nod

Following up again-- I'm SURPRISINGLY more fond of this new Windows 8 XBMC setup! Video playback is equally as crisp as OpenElec.

A few improvements:
- a select few 1080p movies no longer display the artifacting in the top left corner of the screen
- no more popping sounds when "boost audio on downmix" is enabled
- I can finally VNC into my XBMC box!
- my RF Boxee remote works out of the box.
- Windows 8 boots up just as quick as OpenElec
- GhostEvent allows me to start XBMC.exe by pressing the Play button on my remote if it crashes or gets closed accidentally
- AirPlay is wicked fast. There was always a HUGE delay with OpenElec.

No change/remaining items:
- My RF Boxee remote still likes to repeat key presses. It never did this with my Acer Revo 1600. Occasionally, I'll be clicking a button to scroll and all of a sudden it will shoot like 10 instances of the button click all at once. It did this in OpenElec as well.
- Not sure if it matters but videos wouldn't play unless audio was set to Analog. The NUC is just HDMI to my Sharp Aquos Quattron.
- Need to figure out how to SMB share the XBMC userdata folder

Cons:
- I'll miss not having SSH and *nix commands for easy reboot in case of crash

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities - bluray - 2013-02-14

(2013-02-14, 05:09)Dougie Fresh Wrote: HWInfo reports it as an Intel 2000 HD GPU.

(2013-02-13, 20:05)bluray Wrote: With Linux, yes. But with Windows, no....

Actually, there are some reports on AVSForum that Frodo + the latest Intel GPU driver may have fixed the DXVA issues.

Celeron 847 + Frodo + 15.28.12.64.2932 (9.17.10.2932) driver FTW!

And, even if not, you can always launch an external player such as MPC-HC or WMP and it works fine there.
With the latest HD4000, yes. But I'm not sure about other intel iGPU.....I think that you will need a better CPU+iGPU than 847 to enjoy 1080P and bitstreaming HD audio fluently using Frodo/Windows......

The Intel NUC might be the king of low power CPU+iGPU that can do it all.....

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities - Itsjustwood - 2013-02-15

How hot does this bad boy get..... I'm torn between this and an htpc ... I wish to stream my mkv and iso library from my nas setup....will this do 1080p 5-25gb format? I have no interest in gaming or such so I would use it strictly for movies... Netflix and Hulu are a plus for sure .... Thanks for all the good info

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities - jimmyjoe - 2013-02-15

Well, I went ahead and ordered a second NUC. This one won't sync with my library and I can't figure out why. It's driving me nuts. It did sync a couple of times, but not since, regardless of how many times I re-install, reboot, or power cycle everything connected to my network. ARGH!

Posted my problems in a new thread here:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=156246&pid=1336576#pid1336576

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities - twelvebore - 2013-02-15

(2013-02-14, 05:09)Dougie Fresh Wrote: Actually, there are some reports on AVSForum that Frodo + the latest Intel GPU driver may have fixed the DXVA issues.

This will be very good news, if true. I need to get more time to test mine (hopefully this weekend!). I've seen the green flashes that post refers to, at the start of movies (full BR-rip), I can probably live with those, if they're just at the start.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities - Dougie Fresh - 2013-02-15

(2013-02-15, 13:10)twelvebore Wrote:
(2013-02-14, 05:09)Dougie Fresh Wrote: Actually, there are some reports on AVSForum that Frodo + the latest Intel GPU driver may have fixed the DXVA issues.

This will be very good news, if true. I need to get more time to test mine (hopefully this weekend!). I've seen the green flashes that post refers to, at the start of movies (full BR-rip), I can probably live with those, if they're just at the start.

Cool. Which one do you have that you'll be testing out?