Kodi Community Forum
Intel NUC - Ivy Bridge (3rd Generation CPU) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Intel NUC - Ivy Bridge (3rd Generation CPU) (/showthread.php?tid=140534)

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities - mightydh - 2013-02-15

(2013-02-11, 19:18)jimmyjoe Wrote: I just converted from Popcorn Hour to XBMC OpenELEC and couldn't be happier. Big Grin
I was experiencing video playback problems with some odd resolutions (like 1920x802) so I downloaded the build from here and that fixed my problem:
https://github.com/OpenELEC/OpenELEC.tv/issues/1687

I just wanted to say thank you. If it wasn't for this thread, I was probably going to build a HTPC but with the NUC there is no need. Just tested with a few movies including the LOTR Two Towers and I am playing HD flawlessly, both lossless and compressed. I love my NUC! It's only been up and running for a couple of days but I am probably going to go ahead and order another one. Smile

A couple of followup questions on that openelec build:
  • Does DTS-HD work?
  • What remote are you using? I am using a Harmony and cannot get the shutdown (suspend) command to work.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities - jimmyjoe - 2013-02-15

Quote:A couple of followup questions on that openelec build:
  • Does DTS-HD work?
  • What remote are you using? I am using a Harmony and cannot get the shutdown (suspend) command to work.

Haven't tried DTS-HD, I don't have anything to decode it. I am using a VRC-1100 remote and the power toggle to/from suspend works great. I also have that programmed into my Harmony remote and the power toggle to/from suspend works fine. I do have some timing issues with the harmony though, haven't tweaked it yet but a couple button presses might get registered as many presses and make the UI freak out a little. I saw some tags in advancedsettings config to deal with this, but haven't tried yet. The VRC-1100 remote works great, very responsive and good layout/feel.

AW: RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities - der_zeisig - 2013-02-15

(2013-02-15, 18:09)mightydh Wrote:
(2013-02-11, 19:18)jimmyjoe Wrote: I just converted from Popcorn Hour to XBMC OpenELEC and couldn't be happier. Big Grin
I was experiencing video playback problems with some odd resolutions (like 1920x802) so I downloaded the build from here and that fixed my problem:
https://github.com/OpenELEC/OpenELEC.tv/issues/1687

I just wanted to say thank you. If it wasn't for this thread, I was probably going to build a HTPC but with the NUC there is no need. Just tested with a few movies including the LOTR Two Towers and I am playing HD flawlessly, both lossless and compressed. I love my NUC! It's only been up and running for a couple of days but I am probably going to go ahead and order another one. Smile

A couple of followup questions on that openelec build:
  • Does DTS-HD work?

Bitstreaming DTS-HD does not work for me with this build. Suspend works, waking the device does not.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities - arokh - 2013-02-16

I've been debating with myself for days whether to sell my Xtreamer Ultra 2 and go for the NUC. The Xtreamer is pretty complete hardware wise, but it's lacking a bit power. I want the extra power for XBMC smoothness, emulators with heavy shaders, Plex transcoding, etc. Love the NUC form factor, I would go for a Mac Mini, but it's too expensive and a bit overkill for HTPC use. Sucks to lose power-on through IR, but guess I can live without it. It will be running most of the time anyway.

I'm kinda worried about these things though:

1. Intel VAAPI

I'm scared switching from nvidia. There's mentions about not perfect 24p playback. Anyone with NUC and a 24p set running OpenELEC or similar from GIT with updated drivers? Most of my library have HD audio. Can perfect 24p be achieved with Intel, or will it be?

Also, what about this bug with non-standard resolution, it's fixed now right? Is there anything else I should worry about leaving nvidia/VDPAU?

2. Gigabit or Thunderbolt?

I'm currently using a Seagate USB3 drive for storage. Do I upgrade to a NAS and go for the Gigabit LAN NUC, or do I upgrade to a Thunderbolt connector/drive and go for the TB NUC and lose the LAN? Sucks that I have to choose, this might limit resell value later on as well.

Hope I can get some input so I can order this damn thing. Also, if an updated NUC with USB3, LAN, TB and integrated IR is released shortly after I will be very upset Smile

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities - noggin - 2013-02-17

You can get Gigabit LAN adaptors for Thunderbolt - but I don't know about driver support. Apple sell one for the Macbook Pro Retina / Air models that don't have built in NICs.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities - arokh - 2013-02-17

Using Thunderbolt for LAN seems like a waste though, might as well go for USB LAN then.

Found an article mentioning USB 3 + Core i5 NUC models coming in April, think I'll sit tight for a while more. Doing PAR check and unrar of 20-30GB archives is vastly slower on USB 2. Hopefully VAAPI will have matured even more by then as well.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities - Ned Scott - 2013-02-17

NUC has gig Ethernet already... He's talking about using thunderbolt for a direct HDD connection.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities - cbiggers - 2013-02-17

that is a great price point. It should do everything that requires GPU acceleration with no issue.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities - arokh - 2013-02-17

Choose the Thunderbolt and you can't PXE boot. Choose the Gigabit LAN and you can't have fast directly attached storage.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities - cbiggers - 2013-02-17

(2013-02-12, 20:04)harvdog13 Wrote:
(2013-02-12, 19:52)Bkam Wrote: Have anyone tried the Nuc with any 3D SBS 1080p Mkv files?
Thinking about buying one and run win 8 with xbmc if it will work with 3d movies to Smile

I just watched The Avengers the other night in that exact form. 3D looked great to me. Running Win 8 as well.

What did you use to watch the avengers 3d? what format was the movie? I just got a 3d tv and wanna test a few

(2013-02-17, 22:13)arokh Wrote: Choose the Thunderbolt and you can't PXE boot. Choose the Gigabit LAN and you can't have fast directly attached storage.

Who's going to buy external storage with a thunderbolt connection? I don't think many are. I have over 100TB and I think local storage is extremely useless for a media player. I need it all on my NAS.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities - arokh - 2013-02-18

100TB? Who are you, google? Smile Back in the real world a decent NAS is expensive and still way slower than directly attached storage like USB3/Thunderbolt. I can buy 9 TB with USB3 storage for the price of a ReadyNAS Ultra 4 with no drives. What kind of read/write speed do you get on your NAS?

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities - cbiggers - 2013-02-18

i built a nas. i have a dell poweredge r320 rack server with an areca 1882 controller connected to 2 norco ds-24e's with 36 3tb wd reds. i also have 24 1.5tb drives i dont currently have an enclosure for and about 15 500gbs i need an enclosure for. i run raid6 on my 3ds and currently get around 775mb/read and 400mb/s writes. the areca has a very crappy raid6 implementation and ill probably be switching over to this lsi 9286 i have which will hopefully give better speeds.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities - noggin - 2013-02-18

(2013-02-17, 19:53)Ned Scott Wrote: NUC has gig Ethernet already... He's talking about using thunderbolt for a direct HDD connection.

There are two models of i3 NUC.

One NUC version has 2 x HDMI and Gigabit Ethernet. The other version has 1xHDMI and 1xThunderbolt, but no Ethernet. You don't get Thunderbolt AND Gigabit Ethernet in a single unit.

So you have to chose between Gigabit Ethernet (and attaching external hard drives via the network) or Thunderbolt, and attaching them directly OR via a GigE Thunderbolt network adaptor. In theory you could be able to daisy chain both - but reality is different - and Thunderbolt is still expensive (particularly as the cables are active not passive) It is a real pity they didn't put USB3 or eSATA on the first gen NUCs (it's expected with the i5 model)

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities - coffeecup - 2013-02-18

It seems noone here is using the NUC for interlaced HDTV - at least not with a Linux based system. During the last weeks I've been trying to get it running, but the results are just not satisfying. Thats what I've learned so far:

1. VAAPI is working well unless you want to use the deinterlacer. Bob is the only one available, and it's poor. The picture will stutter/jumping so it's really unwatchable on both SD and HD content.

2. Turning off VAAPI seems to work fine with most of the TV stations. But with high bitrates on 1080i content, the CPU seems to be too weak to handle it properly. I only notice it when watching football on sky sports hd (Germany). When the bitrate goes up, there will be stuttering and artifacts. Tried with live tv as well with recordings on the NUC and my Ivy Bridge Desktiop System with Core i5 CPU. On the desktop it works like a charm but not with the NUC.

I didn't find a way to overclock the CPU so without VAAPI for intel implementing a useable deinterlacer, this device is really not for those who want to watch HDTV, especially sports.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities - spencers - 2013-02-18

Coffeecup, What sort of tuner are you using?