Kodi Community Forum
Intel NUC - Ivy Bridge (3rd Generation CPU) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Intel NUC - Ivy Bridge (3rd Generation CPU) (/showthread.php?tid=140534)

Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities - DrowningApe - 2013-03-04

Just an update on celeron NUC under XBMCbuntu. It works quite well, though I did need to download the VAAPI drivers before HW acceleration worked. It also made me realize that openELEC was crushing blacks due to the starting points for black and white being off. There's a fix coming in the next kernel update, at which point I'll likely switch back to openELEC.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities - Geran - 2013-03-05

Does anyone have the celeron based NUC with Windows/Frodo and Aeon MX...if so, how is it running?

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities - DaveGee - 2013-03-05

I ordered the i3 variant ... The one without thunderbolt .... Not that I don't like TB but since it only has 1 port AND no ethernet it just didn't rub me right.... 2x TB would had me thinking twice. Anyway after failed attempts with Rasbmc I said enough is enough ... Just buy a machine with real power.

The issue for me is my 2x HD Homerun Primes ( 6x tuners ) ... With 2 of those I want to do my best to service all the TVs in the house without the need for cable boxes. The raspbmc was just too slw and I got nonstop buffering when tuned to any HD stations.

I then JB my ATV rev2s but as with the Raspbmc I got a fair bit of buffering perhaps a tad less than the raspb.

I'm running gigabit ethernet everywhere ... Tho both the ATV and the Raspb are 100 baset ( iirc ).

Anyway I'm officially done screwing around... Les see how the i3 does ... Should be here tomorrow thanks to amazon prime. ( worth every penny ... till they start charging tax to NJ thus summer ). Sad

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities - ljudnisse - 2013-03-05

First sorry for my bad english, and my first post her !

Can any of you please provide your settings for refresh rate on both NUC and XBMC.
1. setting HD4000 controll panel
2. setting inside XBMC

Wy problem is that I get lagg when switching between different rates 24hz/50hz/60hz on PAL and NTSC snd can find any setting that fits all these rate.

Would be nice if there was some parameter like "Addapt to current refreshrate" but I can't finf any Sad

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities - harvdog13 - 2013-03-05

Just a heads up, anyone that might be on the fence on buying one of these, Newegg has it on sale right now for $279.99. Then, if you check out with the Visa new tool, V.me (very similar to Paypal) you can get a extra 10% off making it $251.99 shipped to most areas.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities - DaveGee - 2013-03-05

Oh that's a sweet deal,,,, however two problems for me... Newegg gets me stuff 'next day' 99.9% of the time however the cost is me paying sales tax ...( they have a distribution center in NJ so yea you gotta take the good with the bad ) and I've already got one en route from amazon ... Who will also start charging NJ tax this summer... Oh drat I'm so sad.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities - heydude - 2013-03-06

I am considering buying the celeron NUC to replace my old atom ion setup. Can anyone help me with the following questions:

Is the celeron model powerful enough to play 1080p content without hardware acceleration?

Can anyone confirm HD bitstreaming (DTS HD MA) is working in either openelec or xbmc-live on the celeron model?

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities - Dougie Fresh - 2013-03-06

(2013-03-06, 21:09)heydude Wrote: Is the celeron model powerful enough to play 1080p content without hardware acceleration?

It depends on the player software. Silverlight will play Netflix HD w/o HW acceleration using about 80-85% CPU. The internal XBMC player on Windows 7 cannot however with the same CPU usage w/o stuttering. The same is true for MPC-HC (so it's not viable as an external player for XBMC). It's been reported to work fine with XBMC 12 + Windows 8 however. It works brilliantly in OpenELEC (though it's accelerated).

The GPU is Intel 2000 HD and it will bitstream HD audio -- reportedly for Windows and OpenELEC.

Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities - DrowningApe - 2013-03-07

(2013-03-06, 21:09)heydude Wrote: I am considering buying the celeron NUC to replace my old atom ion setup. Can anyone help me with the following questions:

Is the celeron model powerful enough to play 1080p content without hardware acceleration?

Can anyone confirm HD bitstreaming (DTS HD MA) is working in either openelec or xbmc-live on the celeron model?

I just tested software playback from a straight, high bitrate BD rip and it plays very well.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities - Movieman1000 - 2013-03-08

Hi!

Just installed a new HTPC using DC3217IYE NUC with Intel HD 4000 and all things works good, except the HD bitstream...

In sound propertys the HD audio formats is missing, only DD/DTS is shown Undecided

The AVR is a Samsung HT-E5550 HT-E5550 connected with HDMI which should
support this ?

Latest Intel Graphics driver - Check
Intel Management Engine Driver - Check

Check with Monifin and the HD Audio support is not shown here either

Grateful for any other ideas...

Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities - DrowningApe - 2013-03-08

What OS are you using?

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities - bluray - 2013-03-08

(2013-03-08, 16:21)Movieman1000 Wrote: Hi!

Just installed a new HTPC using DC3217IYE NUC with Intel HD 4000 and all things works good, except the HD bitstream...
If you are using Windows, have you select audio exclusive mode in Windows audio properties? Here are some tips- Simplify XBMC configurations......

Win 7, excl mode = yes

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities - cbiggers - 2013-03-08

thats a great deal.

Works perfect, but bitstream would be nice