Kodi Community Forum
Intel NUC - Ivy Bridge (3rd Generation CPU) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Intel NUC - Ivy Bridge (3rd Generation CPU) (/showthread.php?tid=140534)

Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities - DrowningApe - 2013-03-10

Like all computers you want to initiate powering down or sleeping from the device itself. Both windows & Linux can get corrupted by switching off the power source. I've set up openELEC and my harmony to "suspend", but if I want to fully power off I have to actually push the power button when I start it back up.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities - TugboatBill - 2013-03-10

If you want to power down/power up a HTPC remotely there are some options:

Via IP: iTach IP Switch
You can control a switch via IP (network). I use one of these for a remote XBMC box so I can automate scans and a unraid system. It works really well. I use the netcat utility (nc command) to send the commands from my server in a scheduled script. Cost is about $100 and a POE version is available.

Via IR: Simrec
This allows you to control a switch via IR. Cost is $40. I haven't used this device.

Both of these are wired in parallel with the PC's power switch. The Simrec looks to be a plug and play device while the iTach does require a minor amount of wire cutting and splicing. The Simrec appears to be small enough to fit inside a NUC chassis. The iTach is small enough to fit inside most PC chassis (I have mine in a Silverstone SG05) but it wouldn't fit in a NUC chassis.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities - freak1 - 2013-03-10

(2013-03-10, 17:55)DrowningApe Wrote: Like all computers you want to initiate powering down or sleeping from the device itself. Both windows & Linux can get corrupted by switching off the power source. I've set up openELEC and my harmony to "suspend", but if I want to fully power off I have to actually push the power button when I start it back up.

That's what I was suspecting. Might be best idea using the power strip with ATV, DVD players or any other xbmc boxes.

(2013-03-10, 18:58)TugboatBill Wrote: If you want to power down/power up a HTPC remotely there are some options:

Via IP: iTach IP Switch
You can control a switch via IP (network). I use one of these for a remote XBMC box so I can automate scans and a unraid system. It works really well. I use the netcat utility (nc command) to send the commands from my server in a scheduled script. Cost is about $100 and a POE version is available.

Via IR: Simrec
This allows you to control a switch via IR. Cost is $40. I haven't used this device.

Both of these are wired in parallel with the PC's power switch. The Simrec looks to be a plug and play device while the iTach does require a minor amount of wire cutting and splicing. The Simrec appears to be small enough to fit inside a NUC chassis. The iTach is small enough to fit inside most PC chassis (I have mine in a Silverstone SG05) but it wouldn't fit in a NUC chassis.

Thanks mate, I'll take a look into these two devices.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities - atandon - 2013-03-12

Hey drowningape, with the celeron version, I presume h/w acceleration is not available
Does it output 23.976 (or at least close to it)?
Does it pass thru HD audio?

Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities - DrowningApe - 2013-03-12

(2013-03-12, 05:57)atandon Wrote: Hey drowningape, with the celeron version, I presume h/w acceleration is not available
Does it output 23.976 (or at least close to it)?
Does it pass thru HD audio?

You presumeth wrongly my friend. The celeron does indeed do HW acceleration, though it can also play high bitrate video in software. The ability to do hardware encoding that's built into the i3 and higher is disabled on the celeron. It does as close to 23.976 as any other intel Gpu, and it both passes through and bitstreams HD audio.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities - Drumitar - 2013-03-12

can someone link me to a celeron barebones that would work be a great openelec box ?

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities - arokh - 2013-03-12

Uhm, the NUC perhaps? Smile

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities - atandon - 2013-03-12

it pass thru HD audio?
[/quote]

You presumeth wrongly my friend. The celeron does indeed do HW acceleration, though it can also play high bitrate video in software. The ability to do hardware encoding that's built into the i3 and higher is disabled on the celeron. It does as close to 23.976 as any other intel Gpu, and it both passes through and bitstreams HD audio.
[/quote]

Sweet. Not interested in encoding anyways. Will pick this up on the weekend
There is only one celeron version NUC out there, correct (with the 1.1GHZ processor) ?

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities - DaveNinja - 2013-03-12

heres a link to the celeron NUC on amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Intel-Next-Computing-Black-BOXDCCP847DYE/dp/B00B7I8HZ4/

I'm going hold off for the i3 version to go on sale again at newegg. I wish i could have grabbed one last week

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities - Dougie Fresh - 2013-03-12

(2013-03-12, 07:48)Drumitar Wrote: can someone link me to a celeron barebones that would work be a great openelec box ?

If you need something bigger than the NUC this is a Celeron 847 barebones that's been well tested on OpenELEC. There is a thread here for it with the results from different forum users. C-847 NUC results should be identical.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities - oddbin - 2013-03-12

(2013-03-12, 17:03)atandon Wrote: Sweet. Not interested in encoding anyways. Will pick this up on the weekend
There is only one celeron version NUC out there, correct (with the 1.1GHZ processor) ?

Keep us updated on how it works out for you please? I was all set for an Acer Revo L70 but they are all gone and heard nothing good about the L80 so this NUC is my next bet.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities - jammyb - 2013-03-13

I'm in the UK looking to replace my Acer Revo 3700 with the Celeron NUC to use OpenElec XBMC.

I've priced this up at Dabs.com

That look ok? Will all that work? I'm not looking to encode. Only be a kickass network media streamer!

Re: RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities - yaser222 - 2013-03-13

(2013-03-12, 17:15)DaveNinja Wrote: heres a link to the celeron NUC on amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Intel-Next-Computing-Black-BOXDCCP847DYE/dp/B00B7I8HZ4/

I'm going hold off for the i3 version to go on sale again at newegg. I wish i could have grabbed one last week

Plz
Now I have nuc i3 with openelec
I think i3 it's overkill for Openelec

It's great and very fast booting and big skins work very smooth
And play 720p and 1080p very nice

So I'm thinking to buy more nuc but I'm confused with celeron do you think it will be okay for my use
I mean I will not feel the difference between the i3 and celeron on nuc with openelec

My use
No 3D
No HD audio
No big skins

Just 720p movie's

Thank you

Re: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities - yaser222 - 2013-03-13

And I have more questions

1st
I have harmony remot
How to control nuc with openelec
the problem nuc doesn't have ir interior

So I have to use usb ir
But I don't know what the best one
Can turn on and turn off and control everything without problems
Can you recommend for me ir usb

2nd
I want my nuc work with wifi
I don't now it's better to use usb wifi
Or buy intel network card

Intel Network 6235AN.HMWWB Centrino WiFi Card Advanced-N 6235 Dual Band Bluetooth Retail
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007QXLIWI/ref=cm_sw_r_an_am_ap_am_us?ie=UTF8

Why I'm asking it's better to go with Intel card but I heard in the nuc red one
There's problem with wifi intel card make the device really hot and lock the sdd maybe shutdown the nuc

3rd
My nuc sometime the temperature go to 80c
Is this is normal or to much hot
What I can do for this

And last
Anyone recommend for me usb tuner dvb-s2

Thank you

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities - ljudnisse - 2013-03-15

For the high temp issue make sure that you have latest BIOS, think #39 is the latest.