Kodi Community Forum
Intel NUC - Ivy Bridge (3rd Generation CPU) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Intel NUC - Ivy Bridge (3rd Generation CPU) (/showthread.php?tid=140534)

Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities - Busenheimer - 2013-03-21

Hmm, we'll that's good to know. I just thought it would be quieter. It's fast as hell though just running off USB! Can't wait to really put it through its paces!

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities - bnevets27 - 2013-03-21

So what can't the Celeron (BOXDCCP847DYE) play/do running under openelec?

Can it run full SBS 1080P 3D?

So far what I have found is this:

Intel doesn't list what the GPU is: http://ark.intel.com/products/56056/
This thread about a board using the same CPU says the GPU is HD2000
This site says the GPU is "Intel HD Graphics"
If it is "Intel HD Graphics" then according to this "In Tru 3D is usually deactivated"
If it is HD2000 then "In Tru 3D" is supported: http://ark.intel.com/products/53423/Intel-Core-i3-2100T-Processor-%283M-Cache-2_50-GHz%29

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities - atandon - 2013-03-21

BTW, can someone recommend an IR receiver I can connect to the NUC so that I can use my harmony remote (with openelec)
Also, pointers to the relevant drivers

Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities - DrowningApe - 2013-03-21

I have an Ortek MCE remote from amazon, which the Harmony has in the database. If I were in the market now I'd get a FLIRC dongle from flirc.tv.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities - simpic - 2013-03-21

(2013-03-21, 05:05)atandon Wrote: Pls disregard my earlier post
The script is running
But the HDMI argument I was passing was wrong
I needed to pass HDMI1 and not HDMI2
xrandr --output HDMI1 --set "Broadcast RGB" "Limited 16:235"

openelec just feels so much snappier. Linux is the boss

I think one of these days we should update the first post in this thread, detailing the common things to do while setting up xbmc over windows or openelec with NUC

That would be fantastic if someone could do that for OE & WIN8. Big Grin

I'm just about to pull the trigger on a Celeron version to replace my current power hungry HTPC :-)

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities - -Riffer- - 2013-03-21

Has anyone managed to power up the NUC over remote/keyboard?

I use a (wireless) keyboard where the powerkey is accepted for powering off but when the nuc is shut down it does not come up this way.

Even with VRC-1100 it does not power though the IR receiver does blink.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities - wgards8 - 2013-03-21

I don't think its possible to wake by remote/keyboard. I tried but in the end just settled for sleep or hibernate (can't remember which one).

Does anyone know how to output in Ycbcr?
My AVR is receiving a 4:4:4 rgb signal and I see no option for changing this via the intel graphics settings. All I get is an option for xvYCC.

Should of said running Windows 8

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities - IWannaHTPC - 2013-03-21

Hi all.

This thread has been awesome and so informative. Because of this thread, I'm seriously thinking about picking up one of these little beauties!! I just wanted to confirm a few things before I make my decision though.

My requirements for a HTPC are as follows:

- Plays DVD and BluRay ISO rips (using AnyDVD to make the images)
- Plays the ISO's located on my file server, connected via gigabit wired network
- Act as a MythTV client (tuners and server installed in my file server) - PVR functionality

Going through this thread I'm pretty sure this little device will do all this (plus more) but I just wanted to get confirmation. Would it matter if I went with the i3 version or Celeron?

Thanks in advance.

I can tell you it works great with myth backend. There is currently a bug with the cmyth plugin where when resuming from sleep you would have to reboot to reconnect to the backend. The way the NUC goes to and resumes from stand by gets around this. After letting it sit all night live tv fired right up this morning

Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities - mrstarface - 2013-03-21

Torn between this and a self build but for the hassle he NUC is my favoured option.

The celeron version is a good price but want to be certain it can cope with full 40GB blu ray rips with HD sound and run XBMC with all the bells and whistles. Would also like to use it to run emulators up to MAME/PSX level. Would the celeron be able to handle that or am I best going for the next processor up?

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities - simpic - 2013-03-21

(2013-03-21, 16:13)mrstarface Wrote: Torn between this and a self build but for the hassle he NUC is my favoured option.

The celeron version is a good price but want to be certain it can cope with full 40GB blu ray rips with HD sound and run XBMC with all the bells and whistles. Would also like to use it to run emulators up to MAME/PSX level. Would the celeron be able to handle that or am I best going for the next processor up?

From what I read in here it can do this...

full 40GB blu ray rips with HD sound and run XBMC with all the bells and whistles

I do not know anything about emulators though.

Is everyone with the i3 NUC updating bios to march 4, 2013 release? Can I update this from any version?

Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities - DrowningApe - 2013-03-21

(2013-03-21, 17:12)Busenheimer Wrote: Is everyone with the i3 NUC updating bios to march 4, 2013 release? Can I update this from any version?

I would advise updating as it fixes some major bugs.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities - Pasoa2021 - 2013-03-21

Quick Question -

If one were to order from Amazon - Say this: http://www.amazon.com/Intel-Next-Computing-Thunderbolt-i3-3217UDC3217BY/dp/B0093LINT2/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1363886352&sr=1-2&keywords=intel+nuc

What else do you need? Memory and drive drive?

OpenELEC = Linux? Can one install Sab and sickbeard etc. on this as well?

If openelec - USB, memory, power cord. Openelec is Linux and it has a SAB, sickbeard, couchpotato suite to install.