Kodi Community Forum
Intel NUC - Ivy Bridge (3rd Generation CPU) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Intel NUC - Ivy Bridge (3rd Generation CPU) (/showthread.php?tid=140534)

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities - bxtreme - 2013-03-28

Hello all!

After going through this thread, I've decided on getting the i3 NUC box but intend on streaming from my QNAP through Wifi. Has anyone had any experience on the performance of the wifi card when playing 1080p mkv files?

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities - jammyb - 2013-03-28

Varies on wifi card as you have to buy your own one!

(2013-03-28, 21:51)jammyb Wrote: Varies on wifi card as you have to buy your own one!

Intel Network 6235AN.HMWWB Centrino WiFi Card Advanced-N 6235 Dual Band Bluetooth Retail

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities - jammyb - 2013-03-28

Also varies on the place you live in, the type and amount of walls between the nas, router and media player location.

And whether you use your microwave or mobile phone whilst trying to stream.

What I'm getting at is. Don't use WiFi. If you can't run a length or 2 of cat5e, then Buy homeplugs!! WiFi is a nightmare for streaming 1080p!

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities - wgards8 - 2013-03-28

+1 for the homeplugs suggestion. Nothing worse than a pause and wait mid film.

(2013-03-28, 23:05)jammyb Wrote: Also varies on the place you live in, the type and amount of walls between the nas, router and media player location.

And whether you use your microwave or mobile phone whilst trying to stream.

What I'm getting at is. Don't use WiFi. If you can't run a length or 2 of cat5e, then Buy homeplugs!! WiFi is a nightmare for streaming 1080p!

(2013-03-28, 23:19)wgards8 Wrote: +1 for the homeplugs suggestion. Nothing worse than a pause and wait mid film.

I would have certainly opted for ethernet if i had the chance, however I am living in a rented place away from home and my router and NAS are situated far away at the opposite corner of the room. I have had no issues streaming all my movies on my macbook pro using wifi on XBMC, even through walls. Could it be any different on the NUC box? Thank you for your help Smile

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities - wgards8 - 2013-03-29

If it was me I wouldnt take the risk.

Re: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities - nickr - 2013-03-29

Try your wireless but be prepared to buy powerline

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities - Sunflux - 2013-03-29

For those trying to turn the machine on via the internal USB header: that won't work either. It still doesn't get power when the machine is off. The only way to turn it on when powered down is the physical power button, or Wake-On-LAN. Also, you can set up a single timer in the BIOS.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities - squigglyline - 2013-03-29

(2013-03-28, 19:31)jammyb Wrote:
(2013-03-28, 17:26)squigglyline Wrote:
(2013-03-27, 20:54)jammyb Wrote: These have an internal USB header don't they? Thinking about drilling the case and plonkin an IR receiver inside via USB internal header lead!

How does the power button wire to the motherboard? Maybe introduce a http://www.simerec.com/ inside ??

Did you get any answers for this? I can take pics if needed. I'd love for someone to figure out how to power this thing on via IR remote as that one function seems to be the only thing missing...

If you could, that'd be great!

Here you go. Not sure if these will help however figured it would be worth it if you or someone else could figure out something...

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities - jammyb - 2013-03-29

Nice one Squigglyline! I'd seen briefly in a teardown video what could of been the power button but this has confirmed my worst fears. It'll be a solder job to get physical remote on/off power!

Can anyone contact Ben Heck and ask if he could have a go making one? :chuckle:

(2013-03-29, 00:59)Sunflux Wrote: For those trying to turn the machine on via the internal USB header: that won't work either. It still doesn't get power when the machine is off. The only way to turn it on when powered down is the physical power button, or Wake-On-LAN. Also, you can set up a single timer in the BIOS.

Never said about using the internal header to power it up from off. Just to fit the IR receiver internally!

But you got me thinking, is the NUC like the acer revo's in that you can set the USB ports to power up/wake from sleep? I know its not actually powered off. But at least that'll make it remotely switchable?

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities - suineg - 2013-03-29

(2013-03-29, 08:11)jammyb Wrote: But you got me thinking, is the NUC like the acer revo's in that you can set the USB ports to power up/wake from sleep? I know its not actually powered off. But at least that'll make it remotely switchable?

I 'heard' that Intel doesn't allow that but I could be very wrong.

(2013-03-29, 08:11)jammyb Wrote:
(2013-03-29, 00:59)Sunflux Wrote: For those trying to turn the machine on via the internal USB header: that won't work either. It still doesn't get power when the machine is off. The only way to turn it on when powered down is the physical power button, or Wake-On-LAN. Also, you can set up a single timer in the BIOS.

Never said about using the internal header to power it up from off. Just to fit the IR receiver internally!

But you got me thinking, is the NUC like the acer revo's in that you can set the USB ports to power up/wake from sleep? I know its not actually powered off. But at least that'll make it remotely switchable?

Well, my USB keyboard, mouse and IR receiver (only the "power" command) ARE able to wake the NUC from S3 sleep (thank goodness the IR receiver works for this!). However there's no setting - it's just a standard behavior.

I actually mentioned this earlier, because my old AOpen MiniPC that this replaces didn't supply USB power even in sleep mode, which meant the only way to turn it on each day was to hit the power button (it was too noisy to leave running in my bedroom all the time). Sleep is an okay compromise, but since the NUC boots crazy fast (about 15 seconds from cold off to Windows 7 desktop, and I don't even have all the BIOS boot speed enhancements enabled), it would be nice to be able to turn it on from a fully powered-down state. Maybe in a later model.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities - jammyb - 2013-03-29

Yes. Or if someone invents a universal remote with WOL capabilities, we'd all be happy chappies!

So we're looking at S3 resume via USB IR then, right?

Anyone got the know-how to code this up in openELEC?

Yup, S3 resume via USB IR should work if it doesn't already work in OpenELEC.

However as a caution, I won't rule out the USB IR receiver needing to support this. I'm using the Rosewill MCE model mentioned earlier, and one of the very special things about it is that it's capable of waking a PC from S5 off state, as long as USB standby power is suppled. From what I've read, this is far from a common feature on USB IR receivers, so I'm not entirely certain if waking from sleep mode is to be expected on all such adapters, or not.