Kodi Community Forum
Intel NUC - Ivy Bridge (3rd Generation CPU) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Intel NUC - Ivy Bridge (3rd Generation CPU) (/showthread.php?tid=140534)

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities - theprofessor - 2013-04-09

The reason I'm waiting for the i5 NUC is mainly for deinterlacing 1080i feeds. VAAPI is yet to offer anything fancier than BOB deinterlacing.

Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities - Stridis - 2013-04-09

Hi !

Have just install my Intel NUC I3 in a Impactics D1NU-USB case :-)
I have even install 2 more USB connections on the internal headers, so now i have 5 USB ports total :-)
Just compare temperaturs now, with stock cooler at 50 % i had 58 celcius after 20 min with openelec and 1080P movie with DTS, and with the fanless case same movie and same time i have 44 celsius

Just use it for Openelec and movies

Happy with the install :-)

Now after 1 hour playing temp is 45 celsius

VERY HAPPY FOR THIS CASE :-) :-) :-)

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities - churchwa - 2013-04-09

So the reviewer here seems to have no problems getting the right frame rate out of his nuc.
Is he misinformation?
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1460922/assassins-intel-nuc-review

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities - martindk - 2013-04-09

(2013-04-08, 16:44)DrowningApe Wrote:
(2013-04-08, 12:24)martindk Wrote:
(2013-04-07, 20:17)DrowningApe Wrote: WLK on the openELEC forums posted a version of the openELEC 3.0 final with the RGB fix applied. http://dl.dropbox.com/u/45524675/OpenELEC-Intel.x86_64-3.0.0-i915_RGB_patch.tar.bz2

Thank you for the link.

However, I have absolutely no idea how to add the xrandr line. I have downloaded putty on the main pc, but that's all I got for now.

http://wiki.openelec.tv/index.php?title=Autostart.sh

Google is your friend!

Sorry, im a complete noob with linux - I have have logged into the NUC via putty, entered the line from that link, but I just get an error. hmmm...

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities - Greddy2000 - 2013-04-09

(2013-04-09, 20:08)churchwa Wrote: So the reviewer here seems to have no problems getting the right frame rate out of his nuc.
Is he misinformation?
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1460922/assassins-intel-nuc-review

I'm running a celeron NUC playing back 1080p 23.98hz mkv rips and I do not visibly notice any sync or frame drops using Openelec 3.0. my rips use DTS or DD. I have not not tried bit streaming DTS-HD. The celeron model running Openelec from a USB stick is great value. truly a capable XBMC box.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities - churchwa - 2013-04-09

Good to know, I think the issue is with bitstreaming the audio though, not DTS and DD. XBMC can resync the DTS etc but with Bitstreaming the audio it cant resync the audio and video. I believe it outputs the video at 24fps and not 23.973fps and as such every few mins it has to resync the audio and video and you get dropped frames in the video.

I would love someone to prove me wrong on this BTW.

On another note, does the Celeron version of the Nuc have HD2000 or 4000 integrated graphics? Hard to tell from the intel site.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities - oddbin - 2013-04-09

Just got my Celeron NUC up and running on OpenELEC. Absolutely love it.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities - ssks - 2013-04-09

(2013-04-09, 22:29)churchwa Wrote: Good to know, I think the issue is with bitstreaming the audio though, not DTS and DD. XBMC can resync the DTS etc but with Bitstreaming the audio it cant resync the audio and video. I believe it outputs the video at 24fps and not 23.973fps and as such every few mins it has to resync the audio and video and you get dropped frames in the video.

On another note, does the Celeron version of the Nuc have HD2000 or 4000 integrated graphics? Hard to tell from the intel site.

HD2000

Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities - DrowningApe - 2013-04-10

(2013-04-09, 22:29)churchwa Wrote: Good to know, I think the issue is with bitstreaming the audio though, not DTS and DD. XBMC can resync the DTS etc but with Bitstreaming the audio it cant resync the audio and video. I believe it outputs the video at 24fps and not 23.973fps and as such every few mins it has to resync the audio and video and you get dropped frames in the video.

It's got the HD2000, which means it has hardware decoding, but encoding has to be done in software.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities - der_zeisig - 2013-04-10

(2013-04-09, 21:45)martindk Wrote:
(2013-04-08, 16:44)DrowningApe Wrote:
(2013-04-08, 12:24)martindk Wrote: Thank you for the link.

However, I have absolutely no idea how to add the xrandr line. I have downloaded putty on the main pc, but that's all I got for now.

http://wiki.openelec.tv/index.php?title=Autostart.sh

Google is your friend!

Sorry, im a complete noob with linux - I have have logged into the NUC via putty, entered the line from that link, but I just get an error. hmmm...

Way of the noob (my way):

have PC > install notepad++
open notepad++ > create new file > save as autostart (choose "unix script file (*.sh;*.bsh)" from the list of file types)
copy this into your autostart.sh:

Code:
#!/bin/bash

xrandr --output HDMI2 --set "Broadcast RGB" "Limited 16:235"

note: HDMI2 is the connector next to the ethernet port, if you are using the other one change line to HDMI1

save file
open windows explorer > enter ip of nuc (make sure samba server on the nuc is started at boot, but i believe it is anabled by default)
drop the autostart.sh into the configfiles folder on the nuc

make the file executable:

Putty to nuc, log in as root, then type:

Code:
cd /storage/.config
chmod +x autostart.sh
reboot

Close Putty session > all set

After reboot the picture should immediately be less dark and blacks be more greyish.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities - martindk - 2013-04-10

(2013-04-10, 09:54)der_zeisig Wrote:
(2013-04-09, 21:45)martindk Wrote:
(2013-04-08, 16:44)DrowningApe Wrote: http://wiki.openelec.tv/index.php?title=Autostart.sh

Google is your friend!

Way of the noob (my way):

have PC > install notepad++
open notepad++ > create new file > save as autostart (choose "unix script file (*.sh;*.bsh)" from the list of file types)
copy this into your autostart.sh:

Code:
#!/bin/bash

xrandr --output HDMI2 --set "Broadcast RGB" "Limited 16:235"

note: HDMI2 is the connector next to the ethernet port, if you are using the other one change line to HDMI1

save file
open windows explorer > enter ip of nuc (make sure samba server on the nuc is started at boot, but i believe it is anabled by default)
drop the autostart.sh into the configfiles folder on the nuc > reboot nuc

After reboot the picture should immediately be less dark and blacks be more greyish.

You Sir are a star!!

Took me less than 5 minutes, and it was very easy to follow your guide!

Now I just need to notice the difference, here in daylight its hard to see. will check later.

Thank you for thanking the time to help out, that was very kind of you Smile

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities - -Riffer- - 2013-04-10

Using NUC with Core i3 unter Windows 7 64 I have the problem that BR ISOs do not really play over Network. Other programs do well but XBMC only stutters and shows only slow motion. The network should not be the problem because I had an android player that used to play BR Iso very well over the same ethernet cable.

Any hints to solve this?

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities - der_zeisig - 2013-04-10

(2013-04-10, 12:42)martindk Wrote: Thank you for thanking the time to help out, that was very kind of you Smile

Don't thank me yet, I believe I forgot something. The file needs to be made executable, so you need to set the correct permissions:

Putty to nuc, log in as root, then type:

Code:
cd /storage/.config
chmod a+x autostart.sh

Close Putty session, you should be all set then. If you want to know what you just did, have a read here and there.

Lemme know how it went...

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities - snapilica2003 - 2013-04-10

(2013-04-10, 12:54)-Riffer- Wrote: Using NUC with Core i3 unter Windows 7 64 I have the problem that BR ISOs do not really play over Network. Other programs do well but XBMC only stutters and shows only slow motion. The network should not be the problem because I had an android player that used to play BR Iso very well over the same ethernet cable.

Any hints to solve this?
If the BR you are playing has VC-1 encoded video, then that might be the problem, XBMC has some problems decoding VC-1.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities - mrstarface - 2013-04-10

Finally got my NUC up and running with Windows 8 and latest XBMC. Done all the Windows Updates and updated my bios and video driver from the Intel website.

Have searched but need some help with settings as when I try to play a full BR Rip with HD Audio the picture stutters along really slowly and there is no sound? The Nuc is connected into my AVR via HDMI.

Any ideas what my settings should be?