Kodi Community Forum
Intel NUC - Ivy Bridge (3rd Generation CPU) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Intel NUC - Ivy Bridge (3rd Generation CPU) (/showthread.php?tid=140534)

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities - bluray - 2012-12-16

(2012-12-16, 03:57)cbiggers Wrote: I'm watching Brave Bluray with DXVA2, i just installed the newest video drivers. my FPS is pretty stead at 23.85 and 10-20% usage, avf of 35mbit with trueHD audio with 0 drop outs. Is drop outs what I need to be looking for? Anything I can turn on to see anymore info that you would be interested in?
The usual suspects are stuttering, artifact, audio hiccup, etc. If you are able to playback blu-ray movie in 1080P video and bitstreaming HD audio fluently, everything seem to work fine then....what XBMC version do you used for bitstreaming HD audio?

Have you try blu-ray 3d on it? Are you streaming your blu-ray files over wired network or USB hard drive?

I have my eyes on this little NUC since I wrote this "Intel NUC.....watch out Raspberry PI!" at beginning of the year, and it is now becoming a reality....Nod

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities - cbiggers - 2012-12-16

(2012-12-16, 05:54)bluray Wrote:
(2012-12-16, 03:57)cbiggers Wrote: I'm watching Brave Bluray with DXVA2, i just installed the newest video drivers. my FPS is pretty stead at 23.85 and 10-20% usage, avf of 35mbit with trueHD audio with 0 drop outs. Is drop outs what I need to be looking for? Anything I can turn on to see anymore info that you would be interested in?
The usual suspects are stuttering, artifact, audio hiccup, etc. If you are able to playback blu-ray movie in 1080P video and bitstreaming HD audio fluently, everything seem to work fine then....what XBMC version do you used for bitstreaming HD audio?

Have you try blu-ray 3d on it? Are you streaming your blu-ray files over wired network or USB hard drive?

I have my eyes on this little NUC since I wrote this "Intel NUC.....watch out Raspberry PI!" at beginning of the year, and it is now becoming a reality....Nod

I don't have a 3D tv unfortunantly. I have a PN64E8000 samsung order though. I don't see where any issues with Intel and DXVA2 are myself. I've watched 3 full bluray ISOs with 0 stuttering, 0 artifacts, no sound issues. I'm about to head to my house to pick up my AVR though to test bitstreaming. But so far so good. If it keeps up this well i'm going to order a few more.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities - bluray - 2012-12-16

(2012-12-16, 06:14)cbiggers Wrote: I don't have a 3D tv unfortunantly. I have a PN64E8000 samsung order though. I don't see where any issues with Intel and DXVA2 are myself. I've watched 3 full bluray ISOs with 0 stuttering, 0 artifacts, no sound issues. I'm about to head to my house to pick up my AVR though to test bitstreaming. But so far so good. If it keeps up this well i'm going to order a few more.
It's fun to watch 3d movie once in a while. The new HTPC for my theater have to be able to playback blu-ray 3d. After you received your 3d TV, you can try some of these titles- What is your favorite 3D movie?.

Just currious; what XBMC version do you use to test your new Intel NUC? Are you streaming the file over wire network or USB drive?

My 2nd Generation Intel G530, i3 and i5 iGPU's cannot playback blu-ray fluently when enabled DXVA2 in XBMC Eden.....

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities - cbiggers - 2012-12-16

(2012-12-16, 06:33)bluray Wrote:
(2012-12-16, 06:14)cbiggers Wrote: I don't have a 3D tv unfortunantly. I have a PN64E8000 samsung order though. I don't see where any issues with Intel and DXVA2 are myself. I've watched 3 full bluray ISOs with 0 stuttering, 0 artifacts, no sound issues. I'm about to head to my house to pick up my AVR though to test bitstreaming. But so far so good. If it keeps up this well i'm going to order a few more.
It's fun to watch 3d movie once in a while. The new HTPC for my theater have to be able to playback blu-ray 3d. After you received your 3d TV, you can try some of these titles- What is your favorite 3D movie?.

Just currious; what XBMC version do you use to test your new Intel NUC? Are you streaming the file over wire network or USB drive?

My 2nd Generation Intel G530, i3 and i5 iGPU's cannot playback blu-ray fluently when enabled DXVA2 in XBMC Eden.....

Using Frodo RC1, Streaming over SMB from a Windows 2012 Standard server from my 32TB array. Not one network hiccup or actually video hiccup. I've kept DXVA2 enabled and its playing wonderfully on this. I went and got my AVR I just need to hook it up in my computer room

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities - Geran - 2012-12-16

Can you test a couple of these files as well? How are you testing to see if you have any dropped frames?

http://www.auby.no/files/video_tests/

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities - wizziwig - 2012-12-17

How was the fan noise when the CPU was stressed during blu-ray iso with DXVA2 disabled?

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities - cbiggers - 2012-12-17

(2012-12-16, 17:34)Geran Wrote: Can you test a couple of these files as well? How are you testing to see if you have any dropped frames?

http://www.auby.no/files/video_tests/
  • Birds
    • DXVA2 Perfect
    • Without DXVA2 about 329 Droped frames. It was constant.
  • HDDVD
    • DXVA2 Perfect
    • Without DXVA2 35 or droped frames. Other then that it seemed fine
  • Monsters
    • DXVA2 Perfect
    • Without DXVA2 Perfect
  • Suzumiya
    • DXVA2 Perfect
    • Without DXVA2 Perfect
  • Matrix
    • DXVA2 Perfect
    • Without DXVA2 Perfect
  • Harry Potter
    • DXVA2 Perfect
    • Without DXVA2 Perfect
  • Planet
    • DXVA2 Perfect
    • Without DXVA2 Perfect
  • Shrinkage
    • DXVA2 Perfect
    • Without DXVA2 Perfect
  • Shrinkage 2
    • DXVA2 Perfect
    • Without DXVA2 Perfect
  • Planet 2
    • DXVA2 Perfect
    • Without DXVA2 Perfect
  • Jellyfish 110
    • DXVA2 Perfect
    • Without DXVA2 Massive Frame Rate Loss 300+ frames
  • Jellyfish 120
    • DXVA2 Perfect
    • Without DXVA2 Massive Frame Rate Loss 300+ frames

I was getting about 15% cpu usage max with DXVA2 on and jellyfish 120 playing

http://jell.yfish.us/ test files i found

If you have anymore test for me let me know. This thing is insane quiet.

I see no reason in turning DXVA2 off, It doesn't seem to handle videos perfectly with it off. I have so far seen no issues at all with it enabled. I have the newest bios, newest video drivers connected by HDMI to a Dell U2713HM led lcd.

All files played over Networked SMB Storage. Not locally.

Let me know if you want me to do more test.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities - Spacekiek - 2012-12-17

Has anyone been able to successfully power on this NUC with an IR dongle? (or something else ...)
I'm using a Logitech Harmony to rule all my devices, so this has to work as well.
It's the only thing lacking for a perfect HTPC !

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities - PH-SYM - 2012-12-17

Thanks for all these tests. This reall helps those who are still unsure about the Intel NUC.
When you have the AVR connected, I would be interested whether bitstreaming works or not.
Good to hear that DXVA2 seems to work fine on the NUC because all I heard before is that it doesn't work correctly with XBMC, especially on Intel or Ati hardware.

(2012-12-17, 10:20)Spacekiek Wrote: Has anyone been able to successfully power on this NUC with an IR dongle? (or something else ...)
I'm using a Logitech Harmony to rule all my devices, so this has to work as well.
It's the only thing lacking for a perfect HTPC !

I have one of those NYXBoards or whatever it is by moto. It wont power it on but I haven't actually played with any BIOS settings yet. Anything I can change to make it maybe function?

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities - antisuck - 2012-12-17

Thanks for all the testing cbiggers, much appreciated.

If you get a chance could you install a graphics-heavy skin and report back on whether navigation is smooth?

(2012-12-17, 20:51)antisuck Wrote: Thanks for all the testing cbiggers, much appreciated.

If you get a chance could you install a graphics-heavy skin and report back on whether navigation is smooth?

Tell me which skin you want me to install and where to get it. I'll do it. If you have multipls you want me to try let me know and post them

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities - Chime - 2012-12-17

(2012-12-17, 20:58)cbiggers Wrote:
(2012-12-17, 20:51)antisuck Wrote: Thanks for all the testing cbiggers, much appreciated.

Tell me which skin you want me to install and where to get it. I'll do it. If you have multipls you want me to try let me know and post them

As someone else who's interested in the NUC, thanks for this.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities - bluray - 2012-12-17

(2012-12-17, 07:59)cbiggers Wrote: I see no reason in turning DXVA2 off, It doesn't seem to handle videos perfectly with it off. I have so far seen no issues at all with it enabled. I have the newest bios, newest video drivers connected by HDMI to a Dell U2713HM led lcd.
Maybe Intel have fixed it with the latest iVy or maybe XBMC have fixed it with the latest Frodo.....Sandy and Eden had issue with DXVA2 enabled.....

If iVy and Frodo works with DXVA enabled, it is a good news for Intel users....that is what we wanted all along....

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities - solidsatras - 2012-12-17

(2012-12-17, 20:58)cbiggers Wrote: Tell me which skin you want me to install and where to get it. I'll do it. If you have multipls you want me to try let me know and post them
If it´s not to much trouble I would like to hear how Aeon Nox 4 performs.