Kodi Community Forum
Intel NUC - Ivy Bridge (3rd Generation CPU) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Intel NUC - Ivy Bridge (3rd Generation CPU) (/showthread.php?tid=140534)

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities - churchwa - 2013-04-30

(2013-04-30, 17:37)Camlann Wrote: My Simerec arrived today, but the NUC i-3 is still not available here Sad

Which version did you order?

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities - Camlann - 2013-04-30

(2013-04-30, 21:08)churchwa Wrote:
(2013-04-30, 17:37)Camlann Wrote: My Simerec arrived today, but the NUC i-3 is still not available here Sad

I ordered the PCS-2 Version (going to be built into my current HTPC until the NUC is here), but PCS-1 will also work.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities - jammyb - 2013-04-30

You really couldn't be arsed to search could ya! Tongue

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities - churchwa - 2013-04-30

I have been searching all over but could not find the version people were using. Ordered my i3, can't wait.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities - martindk - 2013-04-30

(2013-04-30, 22:08)jammyb Wrote:

You really couldn't be arsed to search could ya! Tongue

LaughLaughLaugh

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities - Dougie Fresh - 2013-04-30

I posted this in another thread but thought I'd post it here too. Anyone looking for i3 NUC specs (i3-3217U) but with USB3.0 and the ability to add mSATA, optical drive and even up to 2 x 2.5" HDD should have a look at this newly available i3-3217U mini-ITX barebones

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities - martindk - 2013-04-30

(2013-04-30, 05:28)lukasnmd Wrote:
(2013-04-29, 23:08)martindk Wrote: I read through the recent pages, was wondering, does anyone use the Impactics case with a wifi connection? Looks like a great case, but for the time being I'm using wifi (Intel 6235), and I'm unsure if such a big block of metal will stop all traffic.

Reason for asking, is that I have only seen users with cable till now.

It will work, you will just need to adjust the angle of the antena, so it can get a better reception. IMHO.

IMO, wifi is a nightmare for streamings, wifi should be used only for internet connections on portable devices.

Completely agree regarding wifi. Homeplugs (as meantioned earlier) is also an idea, but I will end with cable at some point, so this will just be until then.

Unsure what you mean with the angle of the antenna, as my wifi is an internal card. Could mean that I need to buy an antenna etc. to make it work, which will be too much hassle. Anyhow, have decided to wait for the Streacom NC1 case to come out, should be around the same price as the Impactics, and should offer the same wifi results as the normal Nuc case.

Loving my I3 Nuc, its running great. Temps are around 58C when browsing the GUI (Confluence). However, when I use the "Aeon Nox" skin the GUI browsing temp goes up to almost 80C and the fan noise kicks in, so hopefully the passive Streacom case can keep it cool. However, the mega copper heat spreader in the Impactics case does look good, probably the passive case that will offer the lowest temps of them all.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities - lukasnmd - 2013-04-30

(2013-04-30, 22:56)martindk Wrote:
(2013-04-30, 05:28)lukasnmd Wrote:
(2013-04-29, 23:08)martindk Wrote: I read through the recent pages, was wondering, does anyone use the Impactics case with a wifi connection? Looks like a great case, but for the time being I'm using wifi (Intel 6235), and I'm unsure if such a big block of metal will stop all traffic.

Reason for asking, is that I have only seen users with cable till now.

It will work, you will just need to adjust the angle of the antena, so it can get a better reception. IMHO.

IMO, wifi is a nightmare for streamings, wifi should be used only for internet connections on portable devices.

Completely agree regarding wifi. Homeplugs (as meantioned earlier) is also an idea, but I will end with cable at some point, so this will just be until then.

Unsure what you mean with the angle of the antenna, as my wifi is an internal card. Could mean that I need to buy an antenna etc. to make it work, which will be too much hassle. Anyhow, have decided to wait for the Streacom NC1 case to come out, should be around the same price as the Impactics, and should offer the same wifi results as the normal Nuc case.

Loving my I3 Nuc, its running great. Temps are around 58C when browsing the GUI (Confluence). However, when I use the "Aeon Nox" skin the GUI browsing temp goes up to almost 80C and the fan noise kicks in, so hopefully the passive Streacom case can keep it cool. However, the mega copper heat spreader in the Impactics case does look good, probably the passive case that will offer the lowest temps of them all.

Ok, are you planning to use something like this, right?

So you will need to adjust the antenna, and make sure that the antenna isn't fully covered by the Impacts case, "like" in this picture.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities - touser - 2013-05-01

Can anyone with either the celeron or i3 NUC verify if 1080P flash playback is smooth under linux (any distro is fine)? I'm thinking of replacing my current i3-2120t htpc with the NUC, mainly because hardware accelerated flash videos seem to work at random in linux (mostly youtube, some videos work great others are a slideshow fullscreen.)

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities - pmcd - 2013-05-01

(2013-04-09, 16:11)Raytestrak Wrote: I wouldn't go for an i5 or i7 Nuc, not as dedicated xbmc machine anyway. I have the i3 model and it's silent most of the time, but when the fan does kick in, it is pretty loud. Haven't heard it spin during playback, but when manually choosing artwork for instance, it's quite loud.

My i3 NUC was really loud when the fan kicked in higher (at 78C). Couldn't believe it as it was totally silent for the first 6 weeks that I owned it. The 040 bios then increased the minimum fan speed. At 3k or so rpm the fan is almost silent, but at 4k mine sounds like a jet ( far louder than my i7 Mac Mini which is basically quiet). What I have done to the NUC is used a fixed fan speed ( setting of 30) and the NUC is again silent. XBMC will run around 67c which is perhaps a tad high but more than ok. At full load with tons of accessing the temps get into the 70's. I have never seen it higher than 81c or so which is when the current jet mode of the fan kicks in under quiet mode.

Would get that passive case but $200 is a bit steep. Also, most of the passive cases aren't available in North America.

Philip

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities - jammyb - 2013-05-01

(2013-04-30, 22:23)churchwa Wrote: I have been searching all over but could not find the version people were using. Ordered my i3, can't wait.

http://forum.xbmc.org/search.php?action=results&sid=2ec296cd0efe28890fc02dc722096650

Read from the 16th onwards.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities - churchwa - 2013-05-01

(2013-05-01, 08:57)jammyb Wrote:
(2013-04-30, 22:23)churchwa Wrote: I have been searching all over but could not find the version people were using. Ordered my i3, can't wait.

http://forum.xbmc.org/search.php?action=results&sid=2ec296cd0efe28890fc02dc722096650

Read from the 16th onwards.

Thank you, must be the jet lag Wink

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities - suineg - 2013-05-01

Ok I went ahead and tested a 3D 1080p file I have. I took a random screenshot at a spot I felt was a good indication of action. I normally didn't see it go much over 6%.

I think I did the screenshot right. I don't usually do this. Let me know if you want me to report cpu utilization in a different way. I use windows by the way or I would SSH in and check that way.

This is the file information.

Code:
General
Unique ID                                : 190731720246895256697732187954964451843 (0x8F7D97D7D02F8780B21E49A102BDD203)
Complete name                            : D:\complete\Movies\Avengers, The (2012)\The Avengers.mkv
Format                                   : Matroska
Format version                           : Version 2
File size                                : 15.3 GiB
Duration                                 : 2h 22mn
Overall bit rate mode                    : Variable
Overall bit rate                         : 15.3 Mbps
Encoded date                             : UTC 2012-08-21 20:33:46
Writing application                      : mkvmerge v5.7.0 ('The Whirlwind') built on Jul  8 2012 20:08:51
Writing library                          : libebml v1.2.3 + libmatroska v1.3.0

Video
ID                                       : 1
Format                                   : AVC
Format/Info                              : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile                           : [email protected]
Format settings, CABAC                   : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames                : 2 frames
Codec ID                                 : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
Bit rate mode                            : Variable
Bit rate                                 : 13.5 Mbps
Maximum bit rate                         : 40.0 Mbps
Width                                    : 1 920 pixels
Height                                   : 1 080 pixels
Display aspect ratio                     : 16:9
Frame rate mode                          : Constant
Frame rate                               : 23.976 fps
Color space                              : YUV
Chroma subsampling                       : 4:2:0
Bit depth                                : 8 bits
Scan type                                : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame)                       : 0.271
Stream size                              : 13.5 GiB (88%)
Writing library                          : x264 core
Default                                  : Yes
Forced                                   : No
Color primaries                          : BT.709
Transfer characteristics                 : BT.709
Matrix coefficients                      : BT.709

Audio
ID                                       : 2
Format                                   : DTS
Format/Info                              : Digital Theater Systems
Mode                                     : 16
Format settings, Endianness              : Big
Codec ID                                 : A_DTS
Bit rate mode                            : Constant
Bit rate                                 : 1 509 Kbps
Channel(s)                               : 6 channels
Channel positions                        : Front: L C R, Side: L R, LFE
Sampling rate                            : 48.0 KHz
Bit depth                                : 24 bits
Compression mode                         : Lossy
Stream size                              : 1.51 GiB (10%)
Language                                 : English
Default                                  : Yes
Forced                                   : No

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities - tkilla1979 - 2013-05-02

still not the wanted information.. hm...

what i am looking for to be tested, would be:
- file: ~ 45GB .iso file
- xbmc: if you select it in xbmc it will be mounted in a generic/virtual Disk drive (virtual Drive, Daemon Toolss..), and afterwards played with an external 3d capable player ( PowerDVD or Total media Theatre), (or, if you don't want to play around with the xml file, mounted manually without xbmc) -> if xbmc plays it itself, it is not a frame Packing 3D

To frame packing, here a link, just googled:
http://www.best-3dtvs.com/what-is-frame-packing-3d/

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities - Dougie Fresh - 2013-05-02

You might be interested in this thread here starting with this post: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1240499/faq-for-the-3d-htpc/1200#post_22622131

There's discussion about the Intel 4000 HD GPU and frame packed 3D. The guy there renethx knows a lot about 3D and GPUs and he tests what he says.